Freire takes stage two of Romandie
- by Christopher Jones
- Published: 1 May 2009
Stage 2 of the Tour de Romandie saw the riders take three loops around the La Chaux-de-Fonds. A breakaway by Spirck (BBox) and Brard (Cofidis) pushed the lead to over 6 minutes after kilometre 60 though the peloton reached the two riders 20 kilometres before the finishline. Cadel Evans and Philippe Gilbert (Silence-Lotto) made another break away shortly before the finish followed by more fruitless attempts.
Freire sprinted early as the bunch approached the finishline and took line honors with a comfortable bike length ahead of Frantisek Rabon (Columbia-Highroad) and Assan Bazayev (Astana).
1. Oscar Freire Gomez (Spa) Rabobank
2. Frantisek Rabon (Cze) Team Columbia – Highroad
3. Assan Bazayev (Kaz) Astana
4. Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas
5. Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin – Slipstream
6. Matteo Bono (Ita) Lampre-N.G.C.
7. Alexandre Moos (Swi) BMC Racing Team
8. Lars Ytting Bak (Den) Team Saxo Bank
9. Tadej Valjavec (Slo) AG2R – La mondiale
10. Evgeni Petrov (Rus) Team Katusha
1. Gregory Rast (Swi) Astana
2. Ricardo Serrano Gonzalez (Spa) Fuji-Servetto at 5"
3. Lars Ytting Bak (Den) Team Saxo Bank at 12"
4. Frantisek Rabon (Cze) Team Columbia – High Road at 27"
5. Oscar Freire (Spa) Rabobank at 28"
6. Sandy Casar (Fra) Fran?aise des jeux at 34"
7. Tony Martin (Ger) Team Columbia – High Road at 35"
8. Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Caisse d’Epargne at 36"
9. Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas at 37"
10. Maxim Iglinskiy (Kaz) Astana