Shimano Click’R Pedals – less is much more

“Shimano is a manufacturing company not a marketing company”, I was told, “we are not inclined to make up claims, we only quote data”. I got this response from Shimano Australia’s National Sales Manager when I asked about their new Click’R pedals. Specifically, I was asking about their claim that the Click’R pedals have a 60% lighter clip in/clip out. I had been riding with the pedals for two months and knew how easy they were to use, but marketing hype is rife in the industry. Shimano, it seems, doesn’t indulge in it.

Let me start this story from the beginning rather than the (almost) end. I have been bike commuting for many years now and I have always used flat touring pedals with toe clips. Flat pedals by themselves just didn’t allow me to ride confidently enough and I understood the value of keeping my feet on the pedals, so toe clips seemed an obvious solution.

So why didn’t I just use clipless pedals? That’s easy: clip stacks. I heard about them on discussion forums, I heard about them from injured colleagues, and I saw them happen at traffic lights. No thank you, not for me. I could get in and out of my toe clips easily (I didn’t tighten the straps) and, even better, I didn’t have to wear “tap shoes” like my friends did.

“But you don’t have to wear tap shoes, there are ones like sneakers that you can wear all day”, they said. “There are double sided pedals to make it easier to clip in”, they said. “There are pedals with platforms around them for more control when not clipped in”, they said. All true, but not for me, thank you very much. My loose strap toe clips work well enough.

And then I started racing and I raced in clipless pedals, SPD-SLs to be exact. Oh yes, they’re so much better; so very, very much better. I tried commuting in my new clipless pedals and I hated it. Actually, the riding part was great, but the constant in and out was horrible. More than that, it’s dangerous when you have to start up a hill at a set of lights with traffic behind you and you struggle to clip in, or when you have to do an emergency stop and all of your attention is in not hitting something and not what your feet are doing. Yeah, clipless are great, but…clipstacks.

Shimano Click R Pedal

The Click’R Pedals

Shimano’s clipless pedals have been evolving for as long as they’ve been making them and you can see the result of this in the Click’R pedals: they are double sided, they have a wide platform, and they have a pop-up cage. All of these features, and combinations of them, can be seen in other pedals in the SPD range. What is not seen in other SPD pedals is what’s felt, or not felt, in the Click’R pedals, and that’s the 60% less torque required to clip in and out.

Shimano Click R Pedal Clipin

Shimano Click R Pedal Cleats

Shimano have redesigned the pedal’s retention plate and have used a lighter spring. The new retention plate has a release angle of only 8 degrees, compared to the ~13 degrees of SPDs, which means you’re out of the pedals much quicker when you want to be. This is not to say that these pedals don’t hold your feet on properly, they perform that job perfectly, rather they release when you want them to and also when you need them. I’ll talk about the performance of the pedals a little later because I have to introduce the other part of the system, and that’s the shoes. I will end this section, however, by saying that the Click’R pedals are not an incremental improvement with a new name. With the Click’R pedals, Shimano may have finally made the ideal commuting pedal.

The Click’R Shoes

Like the pedals, the range of shoes that complement the Click’R pedals have features that have been seen before, but not all in one place. This range of shoes is designed to take full advantage of the Click’R pedal design and while you can use your normal SPD shoes with the Click’R pedals, there are many reasons why an upgrade would be worthwhile.

Shimano Cycling Shoes Click R Pedals

The shoes will take standard SPD cleats as well as SPD multi-directional release cleats and they’ll work with normal SPD pedals. They feature a long and deep cleat well which serves to protect the cleat and guide it into the pedal retention mechanism – more on this later. The shoes are sized well in accordance with the Shimano sizing guide (which makes it easier get the right fit) and they have a generous amount of room in the toe. The shoes are designed for walking in as much as riding in and while they have enough stiffness to transfer power to the pedal, they also have enough give to move around in them all day without changing your gait.

Regardless of any technical features the shoes may have, the best thing about them is the style. These shoes really look good. I’m not one to buy things just for the look of them, provided they’re functional, but it’s nice to have both. All of the shoes in the range look great, but the ones I had (SH-CT40) are perfect sports/casual shoes, suitable for the less formal workplace. I have had many compliments from other cyclists who have seen me riding in them and, when I commute between work campuses, I don’t need to change shoes at the other end.

How They Perform

This is the important part of the review, the stuff you don’t get in sales information or technical data. It doesn’t matter what numbers are quoted about the shoes, if they don’t work they’re useless. The Click’R pedals and shoes work.

The first thing you’ll notice about the shoes (aside from looking good) is that they’re really comfortable to wear and walk in. The first time I used them was to ride out to a road race where I was working as a traffic controller. A twenty kilometer ride there followed by 6 hours of standing in the sun, then 20kms back home, and my feet didn’t hate me. It was just like wearing very broken-in sneakers – I don’t think I’ve ever had shoes that felt that good on the first wearing. They haven’t gotten worse since then either, and I’ve been wearing them on every commute since I got them.

Clipping into the pedals with the Click’R shoes is disturbingly easy, perhaps even a little too easy. The way I clip in to the SPD-SL pedals on my racing bikes is to line the cleat up with the mechanism and push down with the ball of my foot. As expected, this works with the Click’R pedals as well, but it’s not the only way to clip in. It’s a little hard to describe, but basically you can wriggle the cleat into the mechanism from a variety of directions. You put your feet on the pedals, wriggle, hear a scrape of metal on metal and you’re clipped in. I often have to lift my foot up a little just to make sure I’m attached. The best analogy I can think of for this is magnets. Obviously, there are no magnets used here, but that’s what it’s like to clip in with this system. The pedal mechanism attracts the cleat like a magnet attracting a nail – bring the two parts close together and “zap”, they’re attached.

I think this has to do with a combination of the redesigned retention plate, the pop-up cage and the cleat well on the shoes. With these shoes and pedals you don’t need to be clipped in to use the pedals confidently. The pop-up mechanism in the pedals is smaller than the cleat well in the shoes and putting your foot on the pedal, without clipping in, will put the mechanism inside that well. This stops your shoes from sliding around all over the pedal, and puts the cleat so close to the mechanism that clipping in is near automatic.

While clipping in (and out) is very easy, your shoes are still held very firmly to the pedals. I used the multi-directional release cleats and these, coupled with the 8 degree release angle, meant that any foot motion in the plane of the pedal rotation was held, but any motion outside of that resulted in a release. This means that pushing down, pulling up, shoe scrapers, knee thrusters, moon walks or any of the other well known pedaling techniques are confidently held, even when you’re applying serious force. I’m a big guy and I can generate a fair bit of pedaling force, but I have never un-clipped when putting the power on.

Shimano Commuting Click R Pedals

Clipping out can be achieved with a traditional heel kick-out or, with the multi-directional release cleats, a number of other angled foot movements. It was a bit of a revelation for me to find out how much I roll my left foot when I’m pedaling. I never unintentionally un-clipped on the right, but I did on the left, until I turned up the tension a little. When I did unintentionally un-clip, my foot didn’t go flying off of the pedal. I would feel my foot un-clip and, without missing a beat, I could wriggle it back into clipped position. That cleat well works a treat, and the wide platform doesn’t hurt either.

At the beginning of this review I talked about clip stacks. I firmly believe that Click’R is the solution. As mentioned, any movement outside of the plane of the pedal (plus 8 degrees) means a release, especially with the multi-directional release cleats. I don’t see how anyone can stay attached to these pedals when they don’t want to be. The natural and unconscious motion of the feet and legs in an emergency situation will release you. They even work in those situations where you have to pull out both feet at the same time because you don’t know which way your bike is going to lean. In those situations you aren’t thinking of how to move your feet, you just move them; with Click’R pedals you will be un-clipped.

I’m completely taken with these pedals and I don’t want to commute in anything else. I even put them on my racing bike when I was trying to get some more training miles on it to and from work, and they felt every bit as good as my racing pedals . You get all of the benefit of clipless pedals without any of the risk, without any of the downsides. Well, almost no downsides.

The Down Side

The shoes aren’t waterproof. That’s it. I can’t find anything else wrong with these pedals or shoes except that. In the hot weather, such as Sydney’s summer, the shoes have enough ventilation on top of the toes to keep your feet relatively cool. On rainy days this ventilation lets the water in. The solution is to either wear booties on wet days, much like every other shoe out there, or learn to enjoy wet feet. That’s all I’ve got. Over a thousand kilometers,  hours of standing and walking, extremes of temperatures, multiple bikes and all I can come up with on the down side is the shoes get wet when it rains.

Shimano Click R Commuter Pedals

The Click’R pedal and shoe system look set to become the standard for urban cycling and commuting. They are the ideal commuting setup. Use your SPD-SLs for racing, your SPDs for mountain biking and your Click’Rs for commuting (and the sooner they get widely used, the sooner we can start calling them “clickers” the same way that SPDs are called “spuds”) .

Click’R pedals (the PD-T400′s were reviewed) are available in black or white from Shimano stockists worldwide and they retail for around $50. Click’R shoes (the SH-CT40′s were reviewed) are available in a range of smart styles from wherever you buy the pedals. They retail for around $100. Online info about the Click’R is a bit scarce though you can find your nearest dealer on www.shimano.com.au

Product Details:

Shimano Click R Shoes and Pedals (RRP $ 150)

Related: Shimano Australia

Tags: , , , ,

David Halfpenny
About The Author

rides whenever and wherever he can; in good weather and bad, in sickness and in health...and mostly off the back of the peloton.

68 Responses to “Shimano Click’R Pedals – less is much more”

1. real talk says:

I think you vastly overstate the risk surrounding clip stacks dude. You might clip stack once or twice initially, but after that its second nature and smooth sailing.

• Samuel says:

Real Talk,
      “Personally I would be concerned about becoming unclipped unintentionally, a concern that you didn’t address in your review.”

- Did you miss the whole bit where he addressed the concern about becoming unclipped unintentionally?
      Or did you skip straight to the comments section because you’re all ruffled up about a new product that might mean more ‘amateur cyclists’ are introduced to your super exclusive world of clipped in cycling?

• Steveo says:

good on ya Sam – for bothering to reply to a venomous little critter who addresses people as “dude”. You’re a more patient man than I am with 15 year olds.
        as for the shoes, I’ll go straight out and try them from Cell’s. My touring motto is “only take stuff that has multiple uses”. These shoes will do for the pub after the ride as well.
        Thanks David

• David Halfpenny says:

I reported my thoughts on clip-stacks, which may or may not be the same as yours. I have never clip-stacked, but I have seen it happen multiple times. Granted, it may be the one or two initial times you mentioned, but they still happened, on the road, in traffic.
      BTW, I did address becoming unclipped. Within the plane of motion of the pedal, I couldn’t pull out no matter how I tried. Outside of that plane, you can become unclipped easily, which is the whole point. I only unintentionally unclipped on the left due to foot roll (not apparent with my SPD-SLs), but adjusting the tension solved that.

2. ozdavo says:

No pic of the sole of the shoes…

• David Halfpenny says:

I think I took some, I’ll try to find it for you. Otherwise, I’ll grab the camera and take one.

3. Shaun Thompson says:

Nice one Dave, I need some new commute shoes and these look the goods.
    I’ll second the Q from ozdavo and ask about sole stiffness too. Don’t need armourplate but dont need sponges either.

TIA

• David Halfpenny says:

OK, here are some pics of the sole. Let me know if you want more. Starting from the toe to the heel, the first segment you can see is quite flexible, the segment just above the cleat well to just after the cleat well is very stiff. The part of the shoe under the arch of your foot is about half as flexible as the toe, then the heel segment is again very stiff. They’re a lot more flexible than my racing shoes with the carbon soles (which don’t really flex at all) and a lot less flexible than my Dunlop Volleys, which I all but live in. I don’t notice any stiffness while moving and I often only notice that I didn’t change shoes at work when I hit the gravel path between buildings and I can hear the cleat hitting the stones.

Obviously, these are the soles of the model I’m wearing, but there are other types of click’R shoes and their soles probably vary.

Click'R sole1

Click'R sole2

4. Bianca says:

Thanks so much for a great article. I’m just getting into cycling so definitely an amateur but I just love riding and am about to invest in a nice road bike. Probably a Bianchi. Anyway clipless pedals freak me out. They just do. The physical movements required are easy, sure, but it still just freaks me out. So reading your article I just felt like you understood. Thanks!

5. Uzi says:

Can these pedals be used with normal non-cleated shoes such as sneakers? Or would the pedal protrude into the soles of a normal shoe?

• David Halfpenny says:

They can be, and I did a few times when I took the lift downstairs, sans cleated shoes, and couldn’t be bothered going back up to the office again. This meant two trips each time (from and to work) on bare pedals. You don’t feel the cage and mechanism much when you’ve got normal shoes on, but they don’t offer the sort of grip that I would want on flat pedals. My older commuting pedals, and my touring bike pedals, are basically BMX/downhill type pedals with the little spikes in them and toeclips attached. They’re wonderfully grippy, even without the toeclips.

I wouldn’t be buying these for long term riding without the cleats (go for the BMX pedals), but for short trips or “I forgot” situations, they’re perfectly good. This gives them a bit of an advantage over the plain spd or spd-sl pedals.

6. jesseb05 says:

I purchased my first road bike on the weekend and chose to have this model of Shimano Click’R Pedals installed. It’s been smooth sailing so far and I find them very easy to get in/out of. I think I may need to tighten them a little though because my feet have come loose a couple of time while riding.

• David Halfpenny says:

Good idea. Tighten them a little at a time until you don’t clip out accidentally anymore. My left foot used to roll out until I tightened it, but never my right.

7. kukamunga says:

Shimano rate the sole stiffness of their Click’R shoes at 3 on a scale where their stiffest, lightest carbon road sole is a 12. Their Touring, Trekking and entry level MTB shoes are 5, entry level road shoes – 6. I guess flip-flops / thongs would rate a big, fat 0

My SPD sandals that I love wearing in these warmer months are 4 on the ‘Shimano Sole Stiffness Scale’. I’m not a sneaker wearer – I am used to ‘work shoes’ – and I find 5-6 soled SPD shoes reasonably comfortable to wear all day

8. Alistair says:

Hi, just bought these SH-CT40 shoes and am concerned that in the technical service instructions that came in the box, it states “These SPD shoes cannot be used with SPD/SPD-R/SPD-SL pedals for road riding”. I planned to use them with Shimano M520 pedals on a hybrid bike. Have I screwed up?

• David Halfpenny says:

I asked the same question and was told by the Shimano Sales Manager that you can use Click’R shoes with standard SPD pedals. The M520s are pretty close to the Click’R pedals anyway, so I don’t think there will be a problem.

9. Alistair says:

Just to confirm that everything fitted OK with standard SPD pedals. These shoes are great!

• David Halfpenny says:

Thanks for following up Alistair. I agree about the shoes. You should try the pedals, they’ll blow your mind.

10. Chris says:

Anyone know what the difference between ct40 and ct70 shoes is?

Chris,
      I had a look on the Shimano site and there doesn’t appear to be a great deal of difference, save for the velcro tab at the top. The ct40, which I have, is laced and it has an elastic loop on the top to tuck the laces in so they don’t get in the chainring. I don’t know if the 70s are laced (they look it), but there’s a velcro strap across the top. Other than and the slightly different colour scheme, I can’t see much difference.

I suspect either will be really comfortable. I love my ct40s.

11. Marc says:

David, thank you for your great article and warm greetings from Germany. Tried to find reviews like yours in german, but the Click’R seems to be not so common yet. Anyway, bought a pair of the PD-M700 pedals (look a bit nicer than the 400′s) but still thinking about the shoes. Looking at the style, I would take Shimano M088 MTB shoes, but they seem to be not that comfy… thinking about the SH-CT70 also. Any comments? Regards, Marc

Marc,
      Glad you liked the article. See my reply to the post earlier about the ct70s and ct40s. I suspect it’s just a lacing difference. The ct40s are all laced, but the ct70s seem to be laced and have a velcro strap across the top. I have an old pair of shimano road shoes like this and they stay on quite solidly.

I suspect the interior of the shoe is pretty much the same, i.e. really comfortable. If you can try them both on, do it, but it might just come down to styling. I think the 40s look better.

12. Guy says:

Can’t seem to find either of the shoes or pedals on the shimano website. Are they still available?

13. hugo says:

Am an amature mountain biker who bikes for exercise, cardio benifit and just plain fun. I go off road -mountain biking trails of various levels and some on road on paved trails in and around my neighborhood. I usually go hard and fast on these trails with the occassional crash. Are these pedals good for that kind of riding or are these mostly for the urban road commuter? Thanks

• David Halfpenny says:

A mountain biking mate of mine has bought a pair for mountain biking. He finds them easier to get out of when he needs to. (to “dab”, I think he calls it). The platform is quite big on these pedals, but they’re no bigger than your shoes. I think it’s just a matter of aesthetics compared to other MTB pedals. These are much easier to use, but they do look commuterish.

14. jill says:

Great article! Do they make these shoes for women?”

• David Halfpenny says:

I suppose it depends on what you consider women’s shoes. The shoes they have are pretty neutral sneaker types shoes. I don’t know if they make a women’s specific one in the Click’R range, but you can use any spd compatible shoe and I’m sure there are women’s specific spd shoes.

15. patty says:

REI in the US has Click’R CW40 shoes w/ pink accents on the sole for $90. That seems to be as “girly” as they get.

16. bill mady says:

Great review, very informative and enjoyable to read. Much appreciated.

17. Rod says:

Excellent review. I’ve been riding/commuting for a few mths & now see the need to upgrade to clickless but have been concerned about getting in/out of the cleats in a hurry. Your honest review has put my mind at ease, so much appreciated. I will definitely be getting the click r system.

Is it worth considering the pdt700? Or are all the click r’ models much the same for commuting ?

• David Halfpenny says:

I don’t really know the difference between the two models, since the pdt700 pedals are much newer. The 700s seem to be a bit more upmarket and the little I have read about them indicates that it’s sort of like Shimano 105 versus Tiagra, or XT versus Deore. That quality comes at a price, however, so if you’re willing to spend the extra, it will probably last longer. I don’t know that they will perform any better, however. The 400s that I have are excellent.

Spend the extra money on the shoes; for commuting the pedals won’t make that much of a difference.

18. [...] or you wear boots, then the Commuter Cuff offers perfect lace protection. [Interestingly, the Shimano Click 'R shoes I reviewed earlier this year, and which I wear on all of my commutes, have an elastic loop on the [...]

19. John Caley says:

They look good for commuting but maybe a bit slippery if you don’t have you cleated shoes on?

• David Halfpenny says:

I agree. I wouldn’t ride them great distances without the cleated shoes, but it’s possible, and I have done it.

20. Aussie Rider says:

Heya,
    First of all very detailed review. Top stuff!
    New to the whole clipless. Got my first road bike today so looking up on the ClickR’ system.
    I don’t like the look of the ClickR’ shoes (no offence), do the ClickR’ pedals work with normal SPD clipless shoes?

• David Halfpenny says:

Yes, they do, and with the normal SPD cleats as well. Make sure you don’t get the spd shoes that only work with stripped down pedals, i.e. the ones that look like soccer shoes with studs on them to keep the cleat out of the dirt. I’d still recommend the multi-angle cleats, though.

21. r1Gel says:

I tried SPDs on my “road MTB” many years ago and finally gave up on them due to one too many “stacks” that left me with gashed knees and a sprained shoulder. I swore never to go back to clipless pedals.
    I’ve been using flat, pinned pedals ever since, even during my 5-yr SS phase (on- and off-road). I’ve just recently gone back to gears (1×10) since I’ve started to commute to work on my MTB. A recent trail ride though has got me thinking about trying clipless again as I was being bounced around on some of the really bumpy stuff. I also reckon being clipped in would improve my power transfer on climbs.
    Do you reckon the Click’R system would be a good option for me (for both on-road commuting and trail rides), or should I just get better, really grippy shoes like FiveTens?

22. r1Gel says:

Sorry, forgot to mention: thanks for the great article ;-)

23. r1Gel says:

One more thing. What’s your opinion of MBA’s review of the PD-T400? (not that I take too much stock with anything they write)

• David Halfpenny says:

I’m not a mountain biker, so I can’t evaluate the pedals from the perspective of a mountain biker, which is what the MBA review does. As a commuter, the Click’R pedals are brilliant. I’m still using them every day to commute on, and after 6,000+ km, they’re doing fine. The shoes are holding up pretty well also.
      Of course, your mileage may vary when using these pedals for mountain biking. I wouldn’t feel comfortable racing on the road with these, due to the float and the easy exit (so there I agree with MBA), and I wouldn’t go anywhere near the track with them, again for those reasons.

Get a set and try them out. If you don’t like them for mountain biking, keep them for commuting only. Clipless is much better. Thanks for reading.

BTW, if you don’t like them at all, stick them up in the BNA marketplace. I’ll buy them from you for my touring bike. It will save me from swapping them over when I use it.

• MarioC says:

I use these pedals for XC type mountain biking, mainly long, steep fire roads, and some single track. I, so far, would not agree with MBAs assessment of the Click’r pedal. They have never released when I didn’t want them to and getting in “too easily” just doesn’t make sense. I’ve only been riding for 6 months (I have ridden BMX and various street bikes, however, for my entire life), but my ability to go up and down meets or exceeds that of most of my oeers, including those that have been riding for decades and I can’t see myself needing to shop for new pedals any time soon, and if I do, it will most likely be for another pair of Click’rs.

24. Flo Wright says:

Hi very good review. I’m new to cycling and also ride in a group at the weekends. I am supposed to be doing a 100km+ race in March and I’ve been advised to go clipless as my feet keep slipping off the pedals and apparently it will make my pedalling more efficient.
    Q1 Can i use these? i.e. on my road bike as both reviews I’ve read are about commuting.
    Q2 What are other road Shoe can i Use? i am new to the whole cycling lingo so I’ve no clue what shimano spds, ultegra etc mean??!!LOL
    I’ve seen too many falls with clip less pedal users so I’m quite put off.. but i know that i need to secure my feet to improve. Thanks

Flo,
      Of course you can use them on your road bike. My commuter bike is a road bike. You can use these pedals on any bike, but they’re probably not good for racing on, since they don’t hold your feet strongly enough when you’re pulling up when sprinting. Since that will likely only happen in a race, these pedals will be useful in all other situations.
      You can use Click’R shoes or any SPD compatible shoes. Find some cycling shoes, check if they’re SPD compatible and you’re fine. If you have queries, ask the retailer. Just stay away from the SPD-SL shoes, which are road bike “racing” style shoes. SPDs (the ones you want) use a small two-bolt cleat, the SPD-SLs (the ones you don’t want) use a large, plastic, three-bolt cleat.

25. Flo Wright says:

Awesome Thanks

26. igor says:

Hi, great review,
    And what about sizing comparing another shimano mtb shoes ?
    Usually wear US 11.5 and EU46 – what size need in this one ?
    Is it bigger or wider than other shimano mtb ?
    Thanks

• David Halfpenny says:

I don’t know about shimano mtb shoes, but they’re spot on sizing with my shimano road shoes. From my experience, all shimano shoes have good consistency in size. Of course, you can wear your normal mtb shoes with the click’r pedals. They’ll likely be compatible.

27. igor says:

Thanks for reply. I would like to try exactly these shoes for summer ride. I do not have shimano road shoes so may be you can say how sizing of these shoes correspond with your casual shoes size (in US and EU)?

28. Matthew says:

I’ve have the T400 with a pair of CT70 shoes for about 3.5 months. Ride about 100km per week on average.
    Unfortunately one of the pedals has had the spindle nut come off, and I think the plastic might be broken where it joins in.
    Has anyone else had any failures?

I’m debating whether to return for warranty (which will cost me in shipping almost the cost of a new set) or should I upgrade to something better?

Opinions?
    Thanks!

• David Halfpenny says:

It should be a warranty exchange, in my opinion, or perhaps they can send you the parts for you to fix yourself. Contact the suppliers or Shimano Australia and look at your options.

David

• Ben sutton says:

David,
        Awesome review, just started commuting to work definitely going to grab some, I like the look of the SH-CT45 Which I am hoping wont be to dissimilar to your ct40′s

Thanks again a big help.

29. MickR says:

Excellent review, Dave – been looking at the whole pedal thing on my Cross City (only commute 25km/day) after 2.5 yrs on standards. These look like they fit the bill.

• Ben sutton says:

Mick I also do a 25km commute and looking at getting a cross city rx composite, have you enjoyed the bike? Going to the click r also they sound great!

Regards

30. MarioC says:

The article says “use your SPDs for mountain biking”, but I’ve been using the Click’rs on my mountain bike ans they work great. In fact, Shimano’s commercial for the shoes even show them being usd by mountain bikers. I do mostly XC type riding and with these pedals, I have not yet fallen over once, because I couldn’t get my foot out of the pedal. When you get in trouble and you go to catch yourself, it’s as if the Click’r pedals just let go by the command of your will. No thinking required.

31. Daniel says:

Thanks for a great article.
    I have recently decided to go to clip in pedals, and your article grabbed me – my bike is mainly for commuting and 20km fitness rides, it’s a flatbar roadie, and I am weirded out by road shoes and slip pedals… so today I bought these pedals and shoes. Only $129 for both, from Bike Bug in Nth Sydney. Now to try them out :)

32. […] Shimano Click’R Pedals – less is much more […]

33. Vlad says:

Hi,
    I can not try these shoes in the store and should order online. So the question is about sizing.
    You wear a 46 in these and size 11 – in others.
    1.It means 11 UK or 11 US?
    2.These 46 are rather snug or loose for you?
    Thanks for help

• David Halfpenny says:

Vlad, I just checked my sneakers and I take an 11UK/12US which translates to a 46 in Shimano (and Lake) shoes. The 46s are snug and comfortable, not tight. They don’t slop around. I could run in them if the sole would bend.

The best thing about the Shimano shoes is that once you know your size, you’ll always know your size. They have good sizing QC.

34. Przemek says:

Do your cleats clack around a little when walking on cement? Cause mine do and I wonder whether it is normal or I made a mistake during installation (my first SPD shoes) ;)

• David Halfpenny says:

Yep, they clack a little when walking on hard surfaces, but not too much. I like it, to tell the truth.

35. Gustavo says:

hello. I’m going to buy these shoes online. I never bought shimano. My feet are wide plant. To say shimano shoes that fit tight and you have to buy a number in more than other bike shoes. What do you recommend? grazie.ciao.Gustavo

• David Halfpenny says:

I bought the same as my shoe size and it was perfect, but I probably don’t have wide feet. You might be able to buy them in a wider size, I’m not sure. Sorry.

36. Keith says:

Hi David,
    Thank you for the great article, and for being so accessible for information.
    I have a hybrid bike, and only ride on designated cycle tracks,so, I am changing my flat pedals to T700′s and buying CT70 shoes. At 65YO I was concerned about clipping on and falling off, but after reading your article I am now supremely confident.I normally take a size 45 shoe but fitted on a Shimano 47 and found it fitted perfectly, this seems to be the case from what I have read about Shimano sizing.

• David Halfpenny says:

Good to see you getting more serious about your cycling, Keith. One of the great things about Shimano sizing is that it’s very consistent. I’m sure you’ll love the Click’Rs

37. Roy says:

Great article, Dave. Very well-written and very informative.
    I’m quite new to cycling and I’ve been cycling with a Sat morning group using flat pedals. We stick to bike paths around Perth and I think the click r shoes n pedals is the way to go.

• David Halfpenny says:

Roy, you’ll notice a difference and you’ll start to wonder how you ever rode without them. Enjoy.