tt v road bike

For Roadies

tt v road bike

Postby Parrott » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:22 pm

I was wondering why my tt bike is so much faster than my road bike and I think the reason has become apparent after using it in the mag trainer. I did a spinervals training session on my P2C the other day and found I was consistently pedalling at a higher cadence with the same resistance than if I were on the road bike. So not only is the position more aerodynamic I think I am able to sustain a higher power output being further forward over the bottom bracket. If this is the case why are road bikes generally set up with so much set back I wonder? Or is it a case of the upper body being more relaxed rather than the forward pedalling position that allows extra power output?
Last edited by Parrott on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parrott

by BNA » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:19 pm

BNA

Postby sogood » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:19 pm

You lose handling with your body so far forward. And that's why it's not ideal in situations where maneuvering is required.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby bmxbandito » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:00 pm

TT bikes are set up to feel like your stapped to a rocket (in a staight line) & go round corners like a piece of junk thats why there always crashing in the TDF while trying to make up time going thru roundabouts too fast.Too stiff too far forward to be able to handle anything like the trusty road setup.Make sure you get used to how your bad boy feels in the corners compared to your road bike so you dont find out the expensive way :shock: & for the sake of your P2C try & not smash it in the home trainer too much too much resticton for all that beautifully designed carbon fibre
Jeff
bmxbandito

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:07 pm

UCI have a rule on Road bikes saddle nose / BB ie:the nose of the saddle has to be 7.5cm behind the BB (this is a guess,but it is a measurement all the same)...where as I think TT bikes the nose only has to be behind the BB.Hence stumpy saddles or ridders cutting the nose of their saddles.I don't think Tri has this rule.So you can get a lot lower on a TT bike than a road bike unless you are a yoga master.
On the becareful with hometrainer...I am pretty sure the home trainer destroyed my last frame...cracking the drop out.So yes it can happen.
toolonglegs

Postby Parrott » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:22 pm

toolonglegs wrote:UCI have a rule on Road bikes saddle nose / BB ie:the nose of the saddle has to be 7.5cm behind the BB (this is a guess,but it is a measurement all the same)...where as I think TT bikes the nose only has to be behind the BB.Hence stumpy saddles or ridders cutting the nose of their saddles.I don't think Tri has this rule.So you can get a lot lower on a TT bike than a road bike unless you are a yoga master.
On the becareful with hometrainer...I am pretty sure the home trainer destroyed my last frame...cracking the drop out.So yes it can happen.

Pretty sure UCI rule is 5cm regardless of the style of bike, at least thats what our club is working off. Got the nose of the saddle on the cervelo cut and seem to sit on the nose a fair bit, I have been told the reason you get lower is that the saddle is further forward and it opens up the hip angle so that you can still breathe . Thats why I was wondering why people don't set up road bikes that way if it is the same rule. Must be dodgy handling as Jeff and Sogood are saying :?:

Bummer about your frame and I don't want to wreck my bike in the trainer if I use it too much :cry: . It's still the new toy I know but it shites on my other bike from a great height.
Parrott

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Parrott wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:UCI have a rule on Road bikes saddle nose / BB ie:the nose of the saddle has to be 7.5cm behind the BB (this is a guess,but it is a measurement all the same)...where as I think TT bikes the nose only has to be behind the BB.Hence stumpy saddles or ridders cutting the nose of their saddles.I don't think Tri has this rule.So you can get a lot lower on a TT bike than a road bike unless you are a yoga master.

Pretty sure UCI rule is 5cm regardless of the style of bike, at least thats what our club is working off. Got the nose of the saddle on the cervelo cut and seem to sit on the nose a fair bit, I have been told the reason you get lower is that the saddle is further forward and it opens up the hip angle so that you can still breathe . Thats why I was wondering why people don't set up road bikes that way if it is the same rule. Must be dodgy handling as Jeff and Sogood are saying :?:

Bummer about your frame and I don't want to wreck my bike in the trainer if I use it too much :cry: . It's still the new toy I know but it shites on my other bike from a great height.

I tried to find the rule but you are probably right... :D
toolonglegs

Return to Road Biking