First powertap ride

Ant.

First powertap ride

Postby Ant. » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Finally got my powertap built into a wheel today, therefore requiring a ride asap :D
And since I'm so happy with myself for finally managing to import it into WKO+ (no troubleshooting guide suggested a computer reboot after installing :oops: ), I thought I should share.

It's a hill that I live at the base of, and as of recent, I ride it 2 or 3 times per week, and go up it 2-3 times per ride.
Well I wimped out and only done it once today because my legs felt heavy thanks to the velodrome last night (first time, so much fun! but was the first time my legs had ever dreamed about going 130+ rpm, and I was feeling it), and the humidity, ohhh the humidity! A sweaty sunscreeny mixture shows no mercy on one's eyes.

Excuses aside, here's the graph :D

'Powertap #2' being the actual hill climb and descent, before that is a warmup of sorts, and #3 being a cool down pedal around. It's not straight up and straight down hill. A few false and real flats thrown in too as one would expect. Steeper going up than it is coming down I believe too (different roads)
I somehow think WKO+'s estimate of 170w for threshold based on my age/weight isn't quite right :D

I'd love to know the gradient, but probably need to get ahold of a garmin 705 for that. Anyway, sorry for the rambling, I'm feeling like a kid in a candy store with this powertap :D
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Awesome! Congrat's on the new toy :)

Quite jealous! hehehe good to see your having fun with it, where did you pick it up from if you don't mind me asking? Ebay?

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Where did you get your powertap from and what did you have it built in too?

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:34 pm

Now the fun bit has been done and the hard bit is, what does it all mean? :lol:

Congrats!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:47 pm

SO want one of these as well!!!...nice one,problem is now there really is no hiding from the truth! :lol:

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:24 pm

I picked it up from a store in the US, landed for about $2k including GST etc. I was trying to buy one from pedals plus in Sydney, but they didn't have the ANT+ models, and I thought he was being rude by preferentially posting on forums (yes, I was spying on him) instead of replying to my emails, but I've since worked out that's probably just the university's aggressive spam filter blocking whatever it feels like, whenever it wants too :roll:
PP is selling for 1800 shipped, I believe?

Built into just some normal boring training wheel. The fun part is, having to buy another 2 more of them, with a disc wrapped around one and some road wheel wrapped around another.
toolonglegs wrote:SO want one of these as well!!!...nice one,problem is now there really is no hiding from the truth! :lol:
:lol:
I know!

You've probably spent more $$ on winter cycling clothing than what a powertap would cost :lol:
sogood wrote:Now the fun bit has been done and the hard bit is, what does it all mean? :lol:

Congrats!
I have absolutely no idea! Fortunately, Ric Stern does 8) :D
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Ant. wrote:I picked it up from a store in the US, landed for about $2k including GST etc. I was trying to buy one from pedals plus in Sydney, but they didn't have the ANT+ models,
and of course it just had to be ANT+ :lol:

OK, so you have lastest model. Nice.

For most TT events you could look at wheelcovers instead of a disk.
There is debate about their status for UCI events (e.g. championships run via Cycling Australia or State federations) and as a Commissaire, I can tell you the rules are really ambiguous on that.

but for ATTA, I can't see there'd be a problem.

very effective and very cheap (compared to a disk). $100 I'd guess.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Ant. wrote:I picked it up from a store in the US, landed for about $2k including GST etc. I was trying to buy one from pedals plus in Sydney, but they didn't have the ANT+ models,
and of course it just had to be ANT+ :lol:
:lol: exactly. Was wondering if someone would pick up on that.
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:For most TT events you could look at wheelcovers instead of a disk.
There is debate about their status for UCI events (e.g. championships run via Cycling Australia or State federations) and as a Commissaire, I can tell you the rules are really ambiguous on that.

but for ATTA, I can't see there'd be a problem.

very effective and very cheap (compared to a disk). $100 I'd guess.
Interesting. But do they make /that/ noise? That's gotta be worth some psychological gain :P
And yes, ATTA (here at least) don't even check helmets.

You're pretty schooled in track, (oh dear, now I'm feeling the need for a track bike), is it possible to continually swap over a PT rear wheel for track purposes and for TT purposes? Or will that fall in the realms of frustration?
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Ant. wrote:oh dear, now I'm feeling the need for a track bike...
Hehe... And another PT to match. :lol:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Ant. wrote:You're pretty schooled in track, (oh dear, now I'm feeling the need for a track bike), is it possible to continually swap over a PT rear wheel for track purposes and for TT purposes? Or will that fall in the realms of frustration?
It now falls into the realms of the impossible. At least for now.

Saris no longer make a PT hub that can be converted for fixed gear use.
Only the original PT Pro model (not the current Pro) could be converted (I had one set up for track for quite a while but sold it). Those hubs are no longer made or serviced by Saris.

Really, the only sensible current meter for the track is the SRM Track model.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Ant. wrote:You're pretty schooled in track, (oh dear, now I'm feeling the need for a track bike), is it possible to continually swap over a PT rear wheel for track purposes and for TT purposes? Or will that fall in the realms of frustration?
It now falls into the realms of the impossible. At least for now.

Saris no longer make a PT hub that can be converted for fixed gear use.
Only the original PT Pro model (not the current Pro) could be converted (I had one set up for track for quite a while but sold it). Those hubs are no longer made or serviced by Saris.

Really, the only sensible current meter for the track is the SRM Track model.
Eureka! - you've talked me out of it. I almost convinced myself that the weekly relatively short sharp hammerfests that is track racing might be pretty good training.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:12 pm

...or at least buy stocks :lol:

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:24 pm

Ant. wrote:Eureka! - you've talked me out of it.
Nah, he just talked you into getting an SRM :wink: