A Small Milestone

rdp_au

A Small Milestone

Postby rdp_au » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:42 am

I got back on a bike just last december after a break of many years.

I thought a good goal when I started would be to get back to the training distances I used to ride twenty years ago, when I was competing in triathlons with a younger, fitter body. Back then, I used to ride a hilly 45km route at around 28kph pace. I thought I would set aside the time, and just work on getting back to the same sort of distance.

Well, last weekend, I rode 40km over moderately hilly terrain at an average speed of 23kph. I'm pretty pleased with that, particularly as it was done without too much strain (other than on the hills!!).

Now to work on going faster....

Cheers,

David

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:53 am

Bump! You're supposed to note your milestones, not ride over them :D

Well done. I love recording milestones. Not too traumatic discovering how much the old body has run down?

Richard

rdp_au

Old Body

Postby rdp_au » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:27 pm

It has been a bit traumatic riding with an old body! The mind still remembers how it used to feel. The body, alas, has a very different view of things. Hardest part is when I'm out riding and someone slips past. I used to think, 'Hah, oh no you don't ..' jump on their back wheel and chase them down. Nowadays, when I ask the legs to jump, they just laugh at me...

But, we're getting there.

Cheers,

Old Legs

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Have you tried joining the Horsby Triathlon Club? They have beginner squads and training sessions.

There's a biathlon training session on this weekend, starting at the pools (400m) followed by either a 5km run or 12km ride. Check session times.

Clubs are good motivator tools.