Tyre Choice

Richard.L

Re: Tyre Choice

Postby Richard.L » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:59 pm

I had alot of trouble fitting my Rubino's too took me like 3 hours to fit one tyre. :oops:

I think the beads have stretched a bit making it easier now(after 6 months) or i just have been putting air in my tubes...

A review on wiggle says fitting the tyre(without a tube) on the wheel over night will stretch the bead making it easier to fit

EDIT then again tyres are hard to fit on Fulcrum/Campy wheels
Last edited by Richard.L on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

limetang

Postby limetang » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:40 am

I'll admit I cannot remember fitting them in the first place, so i may have used levers. Havent had to since so i might put it down to stretching (only been off once each in 2200km).

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Never had a problem fitting rubino's on any wheel thus far,,Got some slicks on order,,a bargain ,,25 mm rear and 23 mm front,,just be careful in the rain,,awesome dry weather tyre though and a bargain,about $30.00 AU, ;)
http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/Vitto ... 360035180/
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Bike 2011 Scott ,,all good
Genius 27 sp flat bar ,modified with aerobars etc a strange beast but love it ,,kicks ass

Axel Brawn

Postby Axel Brawn » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:07 pm

Vittoria Pave - one of the best all round tyres there is and easily the best training tyre i have ever ridden. They are strong, fast and grippy. They stick to the road like glue, even on some of the sketchy dandenongs back roads in the wet.

Tubulars - Tuffo hi composite carbons with the extreme tuffo tape. Another very strong tire, paired with the extreme tape will never roll off even after the longest descents!

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:23 am

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:The Ultremo Tyres wether the EVO or the R 1.0 incarnation are the WORST TYRES I have had. I had three pairs and though they are very light and grippy, they almost have no sidewall protection. They cut so easily that I was forced to use them only as pure race day tyres and even then I had problems with sidewalls and middle cuts. I only had less then 1000kms on all three pairs. Stuff that made in Indonesia S***! I will stick to german quality. These Ultremos are for weight weenies who only rides to the outdoor cafes with top speeds of 27kph flat out and hangs their bikes in their living rooms to post pics on the net. Even then the sidewalls might burst due to the flash of the camera :lol: I was told I did not get the recalled stuff :?: :!: Schwalbe...you will not get any tyres on my 7 bikes ever again :lol:

I know a puncture is a puncture but when you compare these to my experiences with Conti Attack/Force and GP4000S and Zipp tangente Tubular/Vittorias....not even close!
I can't say I agree 100%. Although I can't really give a final appraisal yet, I replaced my rear Ultremo 1.0 after just under 2000km's yesterday. The reason I had to replace it makes it hard to judge it's true longevity. Within about 200km's of putting the Ultremos on the bike a small dog ran out on the road during a fastish section of a group ride. Because of this I ended up locking up the back brake and flat spotting the tyre. As the tyres were almost brand new I didn't change it straight away. I have been keeping an eye on it (not too well it seems) but unfortunately it wore through and caused a couple of puntures on the way in to work yesterday (the first punctures I've hard on them). If I had been a little more vigilant I would have probably saved that pain. So, after a significant flat spot, I got another 1800km's out of the tyre without any trouble until yesterday. The front is still going ok (usual nicks and chips).

I've replaced the rear with a Verdestein Fortezza Tricomp I had on some spare wheels. It seemed o.k. on this mornings ride and I'll race on it tomorrow.

But in my experience I'm happy with the Ultremo R1.0 and will more than likely buy them again.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:04 am

toppity wrote:But in my experience I'm happy with the Ultremo R1.0 and will more than likely buy them again.
Hi

I have one coming from http://bike24.net to give them a try out. I thought it was worth a shot at $24.00.

Andrew

brycerider

Postby brycerider » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Trying out a set of Vittoria Pave Evo CG's at the moment on my Eurus wheels. They are a 25mm tyre made for Paris Roubaix. Not the lightest at 270g a tire but they do roll well and smooth out the bumps and ruts in the road. Puncture proof I would rate as average. Yet to see how many km's the rear lasts before its time to replace. Overall when on special would recommend as a training tire for the rougher roads.

GWH74

Postby GWH74 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

Looking at getting some GP4000 in either 23 or 25. Currently only $32 at Ribble + fright or $37 at Wiggle with free freight over $80 (2 x tyres + a pack of tubes > $80)
Only a light rider 70kg and ride the roads around Adelaide. Want something smooth and puncher resistance while having low rolling resistance / fast.

Any thoughts?

overthehill

Postby overthehill » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:36 pm

have only used 4000s - they are a good tyre, puncture resistance fairly good, roll well, fairly light. I think they are well thought of. But sorry, not so sure about 4000. Must say though I've just taken delivery of my new roadie, which has Conti Ultra race (lower down the tree than 4000?) - I think they are pretty good, certainly for weekend warrior rides. I'll wear them out before I upgrade…
Rapha Continental