With 14 races I'm beginning to learn

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

With 14 races I'm beginning to learn

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 31, 2007 12:06 am

Joined the bike club in April 06, first bike race in August 07 06 and now with 14 races under my belt the most recent on cracking the 40kph average speed, you may ask, what have I learnt;l
1. That I have a lot more to learn
2. Tatics will be different in every race and you need to make decsions on the fly and live or die by them
3. The fastest rider doesn't necessarily win
4. My strengths and challenges are different to my competitors, so how can I capitlise on my strengths while not being defeated by my challenges.
5. The first thing to learn is that you need to start by learning two things;
(i) You need to learn to bludge
(ii) You need to learn to suffer
6. When I'm strong I can control the race, when I'm weak the race controls me.
7. Take magnesium
8. While the nut behind the handlebars is the most important bit, the better the bike takes care of the energy expended by the rider, the better you feel on the road. For me that means how the bike transfers the power to the ground
9. Weight isn't as important for me as it is for other riders. Basically I'm a very strong rider, so weight doesn't impact me as much as it does for other riders.
10. Strength doesn't necessarily equate to speed. I can get blown off by riders who have half my strength.
11. You can really feel the difference between good quality tyres and medium quality tyres.
12. Racing is a form of training, if you get dropped you might as well continue on and enjoy the time as a training ride.
13. Everytime you race you learn something that you can't learn simply by training
14. You can ride faster than you think you can, it just takes the right circumstances to get it that performance out of you.

Edit: fixed incorrect date. Sorry I don't have a tardis
Last edited by mikesbytes on Thu May 31, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Kev365428

Re: With 14 races I'm beginning to learn

Postby Kev365428 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:23 am

mikesbytes wrote:Joined the bike club in April 06, first bike race in August 07 and now with 14 races under my belt ........
Are you riding a tardus?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu May 31, 2007 9:45 am

Kev365428 wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Joined the bike club in April 06, first bike race in August 07 and now with 14 races under my belt ........
Are you riding a tardus?
and you thought I was the resident delusional :roll:

Richard

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 31, 2007 10:01 am

mikesbytes wrote:10. Strength doesn't necessarily equate to speed. I can get blown off by riders who have half my strength.
How do you explain this one? How did you define "strength"? I assume you are defining it to be something other than "power output".
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

senator52

Postby senator52 » Thu May 31, 2007 10:23 am

What tyres do you race on?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 31, 2007 11:01 am

sogood wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:10. Strength doesn't necessarily equate to speed. I can get blown off by riders who have half my strength.
How do you explain this one? How did you define "strength"? I assume you are defining it to be something other than "power output".
I would think things like technique, tactics, and timing would be the keys here.

E.g. If a sprint starts and you are in the wrong gear, worn out from previous attacks, poor pedal technique and bike fit, it is easy to get blown away.

That's a great list Mike. I am planning on getting into the racing later this year after I have built up a bit more fitness and capability.

Current injury & wet weather is slowing things down a bit, but a break from work (HKL holiday) and time to heal the knee will get things going again.

I am continually pumped by your & Tuco's racing reports, and look forward to submitting my own :lol:

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 31, 2007 11:25 am

MichaelB wrote:I would think things like technique, tactics, and timing would be the keys here.

E.g. If a sprint starts and you are in the wrong gear, worn out from previous attacks, poor pedal technique and bike fit, it is easy to get blown away.
But those other technical issues are already covered by the other points. Reading point 10 by itself with all other points being equal, it doesn't quite make sense to me. By common wisdom, power equates well with speed.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 31, 2007 12:23 pm

sogood wrote:
I can't explain it other than to compare myself with some other riders whos legs are no where near as stong as mine, but they can blow me off.

An A grade rider quoted me "Your very strong Michael, now its a matter of converting that strenght to speed"

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 31, 2007 12:43 pm

senator52 wrote:What tyres do you race on?
I only have one set of wheels, so I race on the same tyres that I commute and train on. I think the history of tyres between August 06 and now are;
Front - Rear
Rubino - Rubino
Prorace2 - Prorace2
Prorace2 - Rubino
Prorace2 - Ultrasport
Prorace2 - GP4000 (borrowed after flat mid race)
Prorace2 - Ultrasport
Prorace2 - Rubino

Rubino = Vittoria Rubino pro (wire bead version)
Prorace2 = Mitchelin Prorace2 (folding)
Ultrasport = Contential Ultrasport (wire bead version)
GP4000 = Contenial GP4000 (folding)

All tyres are 23mm except Ultrasport which is 25mm

I have 3 spare tyres in the shed at the moment;
2x Prorace2
1x Ultrasport

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 31, 2007 1:06 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I can't explain it other than to compare myself with some other riders whos legs are no where near as stong as mine, but they can blow me off.

An A grade rider quoted me "Your very strong Michael, now its a matter of converting that strenght to speed"
That's fast twitch fibres for you... Despite the external appearance, if you do a proper power test, their results should be better than your.
Last edited by sogood on Thu May 31, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu May 31, 2007 1:12 pm

MichaelB wrote:I am planning on getting into the racing later this year after I have built up a bit more fitness and capability.
Michael, you are already quick enough to race.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides Frame Size Calculator.....Rolling Resistance.....Rolling Performance.....Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info
training log.....Body-Mass Index, Waist-to-Height Ratio, Basal Metaboic Rate
Bicycle FAQs.....Bicycle Safety.....Cadence in Cycling.....Types of Bicycles

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu May 31, 2007 1:37 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
MichaelB wrote:I am planning on getting into the racing later this year after I have built up a bit more fitness and capability.
Firstly, I agree. I wasn't overly fast when I started racing. Racing will get you faster and stronger quicker. I've improved so much faster by racing.

Secondly, I agree with the list except # 11, I've only ever used the one set of tyres but a guy I race with changed to expensive wheels and tyres and crapped all over me last time we raced together. The first time he's beaten me!

As for # 10, it's also acceleration, cadence, stamina, LT levels, VO2, mental toughness, etc.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu May 31, 2007 1:42 pm

tuco wrote:Secondly, I agree with the list except # 11, I've only ever used the one set of tyres but a guy I race with changed to expensive wheels and tyres and crapped all over me last time we raced together. The first time he's beaten me! .
Your example seemed to agree with #11 rather than disagree. :?

tuco

Postby tuco » Thu May 31, 2007 2:04 pm

sogood wrote:
tuco wrote:Secondly, I agree with the list except # 11, I've only ever used the one set of tyres but a guy I race with changed to expensive wheels and tyres and crapped all over me last time we raced together. The first time he's beaten me! .
Your example seemed to agree with #11 rather than disagree. :?
I meant from personal experience having the better wheels on my bike and having my times improve not from someone's elses better performance.
That race he beat me was the race I went into the final straight into the wind in too high a gear, my loss rather than his win but he did show me his nice new wheels post race.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 31, 2007 3:41 pm

tuco wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:
Firstly, I agree. I wasn't overly fast when I started racing. Racing will get you faster and stronger quicker. I've improved so much faster by racing.
Thanks guys, but I think you are a bit flattering :) . I am looking at starting after winter, but it seems that in Adelaide, the winter season is longer raod races rather than the shorter races like Tuco does.

In any event, I need to sort out the quad/knee issue (just had another physio pain session :shock: ) and get a proper fit on the bike and then go from there.

Cheers

Michael B

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 31, 2007 3:52 pm

MichaelB wrote:In any event, I need to sort out the quad/knee issue (just had another physio pain session :shock: ) and get a proper fit on the bike and then go from there.
Nah, do it now. Think of the excuse you'll have for the physio - 'me knee hurts because this old bloke and me did a 50 km breakaway. Nearly nailed him up the corkscrew though'.

And bike fit? Mate, once you start racing, that'll change anyway. Trundle down to Revolution and have a chat with Steve - he's a top racer and a coach (a damned good one apparently). He'll get you sorted.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu May 31, 2007 4:00 pm

europa wrote:
MichaelB wrote:In any event, I need to sort out the quad/knee issue (just had another physio pain session :shock: ) and get a proper fit on the bike and then go from there.
Nah, do it now. Think of the excuse you'll have for the physio - 'me knee hurts because this old bloke and me did a 50 km breakaway. Nearly nailed him up the corkscrew though'.

And bike fit? Mate, once you start racing, that'll change anyway. Trundle down to Revolution and have a chat with Steve - he's a top racer and a coach (a damned good one apparently). He'll get you sorted.

Richard
Interestingly, on another forum, made contact with someone who is doing a lot of research (based on his own leg lop sidedness and works in radiology/physio) whom I will make contact with when I get back from the honkers trip.

Will try Revolution when I get back as well.

Keen as mustard though, just more of a finer weather rider .....

europa

Postby europa » Thu May 31, 2007 4:03 pm

MichaelB wrote:just more of a finer weather rider .....

We'll have to work on that or you'll wind up with my aerodynamic credentials :shock:

Richard