Of all days, I chose today to do some "racing" ...

Christine Tham

Of all days, I chose today to do some "racing" ...

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:48 pm

Crushed by the agony of defeat, Kitty returns back to her den to lick her wounds ... :oops:

Went out with the Boundary Riders this morning - I've never been game enough to show up on a Tuesday before (for the last two weeks, I've joined their "easy Fridays").

As soon as I saw the (wet) road conditions, I knew I would regret it ...

I was too overconfident and blew myself up trying to ascend out of Roseville Bridge, and after that I was too weak to do a proper attack.

I see I have much to learn about racing - I don't know when to attack and how to maintain an attack, so my efforts end up making me look like a "5 second wonder" - I blow up almost immediately after attacking because I misjudged the terrain.

At one stage, the guys had a bit of a line going, but I was so weakened by my misjudged efforts I couldn't hold on to the wheel of the guy in front of me. One guy was yelling out "Stick to the wheel!" but I couldn't and had to wimp out.

I don't think I was very popular with the bunch today :oops:

On top of that, the rain was pelting down near the coast and by the time we were finished I had grime all over my face, clothes and bike. :cry: Of course, the sun popped out as soon as we sat down to have coffee :x

I finished last or close to last in just about every "stage" :cry:

On a positive note, it was some of the fastest cycling I have done - descended into Roseville Bridge at 76 km/h and did several stretches well over 40 km/h for several minutes.

Now that I know which spots the group tends to attack I will try and improve next Tuesday.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

JV911

Re: Of all days, I chose today to do some "racing" ...

Postby JV911 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:52 pm

rookie error :)
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:56 pm

JV911 wrote:rookie error :)
Stay at the back or in the middle... watch, learn... few weeks later... then you attack..

Although that being said I haven't been racing yet... I plan to hit it next year... I hope my ego doesn't take hold :twisted:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:57 pm

And great work for having a go!

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi Christine

A really good read and especially to share with us how well your riding. One big thing in a paceline is a gap opening because another rider cant keep up the pace or stays out the front too long. It gets pretty "hectic" when the line is running and people get very focused to stay as close as possible to minimise the "hurt".

Possibly a few suggestions and this only comes from experience

1) Dont try and do super human efforts on the front. If everyone is doing say 30 sec on the front at high speeds or whatever, do NOT feel compelled to match it. If you simply roll through, a few pedal strokes and roll aside, then do that. The peleton starts to get unhappy if the speed starts to slow and they can see you in some sort of "distress" ie: hips wiggling, throwing the bike around more". Out in the lifecycles ride we had quite a few people "outstaying their welcome" which almost caused crashes in the rear as people sat up as the line started to slow

2) Taking turns on the front. it is quite acceptable to not make your way to the front if you dont feel like it. Move up with the paceline and when you get close to the front, pull out and cycle to the rear. It was far better at Lifecycles to have people in the line (who wanted to ride with the fast group) acknowledge they would struggle a little on the front. They became more confident in their ability, they grew stronger and then they were more confident to have a go.

As far as attacking goes, always a brave move. I think every cyclist fears mounting an attack and then not being able to sustain it only to be swallowed and "spat out the back" :-) I think the big issue is if you are close or already in the red, you may not even feel it but when you mount the attack it becomes very shortlived. Honestly I htink this comes with practice and being maybe more perceptive as to how you are going.

Again it all comes down to experience. i remember at Eastern Creek racing with A grade with the Vets, there were a few times I had to turn down joinging a breakaway as I'd gone too hard early and I simply would have blown up. Last year up in Tenannt Creek our club mounted a few breaks and we just couldnt sustain them as we'd been pushing the group hard already.....

Its all a great experience, humbling at times for everyone and boy can it hurt :-) I thought cycling was supposed to be fun :-) :-)

Regards..Sandman

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:01 pm

yeah, good words Sandman.

the more tired and ragged it gets the more dangerous it can be. And it's only a training ride.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:48 am

Second attempt.

At least I didn't blow up today, but I got dropped :oops:

The H1N1 vaccine is taking it's toll ... I found it hard to sprint above 35 km/h today ...

At least I can console myself I didn't come last, only second last.

On the bright side, managed to do 84.2 km/h on the descent! (or rather, I didn't do anything, the bike and gravity did it for me)
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Plastic bike

Postby Plastic bike » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:49 am

There is nothing wrong with blowing your self up ha . Racing can be soooo frustrating some times, i did a crit the other day and almost got dropped and i could not work out why,I got the flue the next day.
keep up the good work