Strawbuger's Racing Log

foo on patrol

Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:45 pm

On fire mate, beer needed before rides.[emoji3]

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:14 pm

nice work again Strawburger. you were moving pretty fast up Hotham for someone who didn't do a lot of training! 6th is a big result on that stage, there are some good riders riders there.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Date: 21st February 16
Venue: NSW Masters team pursuit, Dunc Gray Velodrome
Conditions: warm
Grade: Masters 150+ 2000m / 8laps
Result: 5th
Report:

Got suckered into racing on the track for the first time by Mikesbytes, what better way than to have your first race at a former Olympic track in a state championship!

I had 4 weeks to get used to the track, riding mm away from other guys wheels with no brakes and making sure not to stop pedalling...

After a good warmup, we were up. No handlers so we asked whoever was near the start line to help out. I was off last as I was using 103 gear inches. 8 laps / 2kms of agony ahead :)

We jumped out of the blocks pretty smooth, Mark started well. After turn 3 my head dropped with the speed around the corner. I got a dizzy spell and couldn't keep the bike straight. Oh crap! Mark rolled off after 1 lap. Craig was next with his one lap. Then Mikesbytes with his lap. I did my turn with my head spinning, although much better when on the front. We went to half laps on the 2nd rotation. I was feeling great on the front and held that spot for the last 1.5 laps. We finished 2:37, just under 2 sec off bronze ride-off.

The team were pretty happy with that result, it was mentioned at the time that it may be the fastest 150+ time for the club in a long time.

dist - 2kms
time - 2min 37sec
speed - 46 km/hr avg (53 km/hr max)
cadence - 97 avg (108 max)
heart rate - 176 HR avg (185 max)

the start

head wobbles

on the front

the finish
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:13 pm

Date: 28th February 16
Venue: NSW Masters individual pursuit, Dunc Gray Velodrome
Conditions: warm
Grade: Masters 3 3000m / 12laps
Result: 5th
Report:

Well, if I already had the bike setup, might as well do the individual... 12 laps, up against quality competition. I'd be happy to ride under 4mins for the 3kms.

Derny Driver kindly offered me assistance: not only walking the line for me, but had also got a warmup plan together, wrote the race strategy, even threw on his disc wheel and 5 spoke on my old crappy steel frame!

DD advised to change gearing to a 94, which would give me roughly a cadence of 106 on the straights. Being a road rider, this seemed weird. I ran with it as I trusted the professional :)

After a perfect warmup, I was pumped and ready to go... Then the alarm went off and a mass evacuation followed. We were outside for about 30mins. Bummer.

I didn't let that phase me, once back in I jumped on the bike and did a quick warmup before jumping on the track.

DD got the bike into the starting block, all I needed to do was to jump on and ride. I can't thank that man enough! The instructions were clear: a signal for on target pace and one for behind target pace. So no signal for too fast? Nope :)

Not much to describe about the race itself. DD kept giving me the "on target" signal every lap, even though the legs were burning since lap 2! I started to doubt the signals when I was hurting and thought I was dragging an anchor. Every lap I was hoping it was the last, I was suffering! Soon enough the bell rang and the pain was almost over. I crossed the line and looked at the board: 3:57, smashed the 4min mark by 3 sec. Happy days! Finished 5th, a fair way back from the medal ride-offs but happy all the same.

After the race, DD gave me feedback and was pretty happy. I could not stop coughing... And DD I owe you lots!

dist - 3kms
time - 3min 57sec
speed - 46 km/hr avg (52 km/hr max)
cadence - 104 avg (114 max)
heart rate - 185 HR avg (192 max)

Lap times

n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:20 pm

Have to congratulate Strawburger on his first ever track event. We worked out a plan, which was largely based on getting Strawburger use to riding on the Velodrome, in his case that consisted of 3 sessions;
1. Get use to riding a bike with no brakes and use the banking. At Tempe one evening. I joined him for the last 40 minutes and he got a go at doing swaps, using the banking.
2. The following week at Tempe Mark, Craig and himself got to have a practice together and I joined in for the last 30 minutes, the only 30 minutes we all trained together.
3. Then Strawburger was sent off to Dunc to experience wood.
I saw the progression from someone a little ginger on following close and not coming down the bank close enough to straight onto the back wheel to a rider who was almost the same as everyone else.

In the event I felt we went pretty smooth and we bet the unofficial DHBC record by 3 seconds (held by Mark and myself). My final turn on the front finished close enough to the end that once I could see that Mark, Craig and Strawburger were going strong on that final lap, I decided I wasn't needed and saved myself for the scratch race (which turned out to be a very good decision). I had never expected that the team would work so well. Next year we intend to come back, use aero equipment and have some better training prior.

In the 3000mtrs Strawburger showed himself to be the clubs first class pursuit rider. I have done 4.06 in the 3000, which was also my first year of track racing and I think the club best was 4.03 (could be wrong). So Strawburger is the current club 3000 top dog with a stunning 3.57
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:52 pm

Did you do the State Hillclimb champs Straw?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:53 am

Derny Driver wrote:Did you do the State Hillclimb champs Straw?
Yes I did, report following soon. Got a decent result too!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:56 am

Kind words there Mike, thank you.

Yeah the team was organised and the plan you put together for us worked perfectly on the day. It showed that your experience and a plan goes a long way!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:22 am

Well done Strawburger and welcome to the world of real racing. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:00 am

Date: 3rd April 16
Venue: NSW Elite Championships road race, Mittagong
Conditions: nice
Grade: Div 2
Result: DNF (mech)
Report:

After speaking with the club handicapper about a few different topics at the velodrome, it appeared as though I should be up another grade... So I nominated div 2 for the race, figuring that some of the regular competitors were racing in the elite race and perhaps I may be able to handle the top level of the graded scratch... I was using this race as a leg conditioner for the following week's hillclimb champs. I wasn't fussed if I got dropped after a lap, so long as I put some high intensity climbing in. The club handicapper was also in my division so it would be a good comparison of where I should be.

We lined up near the front, 4kms of neutral, then 2.5 laps of a 25km undulating course. Some climbing but not one for the purists.

The neutral was fast, strava said we were in the top 10 of the hill before the finish of the neutral zone. Hmm, things may not be great from here!

The race was fast from the start, lots of breakaways, most chased down, some allowed to get away. I sat near the rear and observed. The climbing, although hard, wasn't too difficult. All the power numbers looked reasonable enough. The descents still catch me out a bit, but it's getting better.

On the last full lap, at the base of the climb I dropped into the small ring. The chain dropped in between the catcher and the ring. Ffffaaaaaarrrrrr...... It took me 30 sec to get the chain back on. I chased for 5mins but the gap was increasing... I signalled the commissar to pass me, race over :( in hindsight I should have run my standard cranks, not the compacts. I'll know this for next year. I also heard that the race went neutral soon after, so I may have been able to get back on. I was happy with the load in the legs though so the disappointment is cancelled out by the goals of the next few weeks.

dist - 46.8kms
time - 1hr 16min 56sec
speed - 36.5 km/hr avg (77.4 km/hr max)
cadence - 89 avg (126 max)
heart rate - 164 HR avg (184 max)
Power: 246NP
Last edited by Strawburger on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:03 am

... Hillclimb report next. Then I'm off to orange for the old farts championships

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu May 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Date: 9th April 16
Venue: NSW Hillclimb Championships, Mt Panorama Bathurst
Conditions: warm in the sun
Grade: Masters 3
Result: 3rd, Bronze
Report:

The aim for this year was to crack the 10mins. I've been gradually bettering my time each year. Unfortunately a flu in the lead-up to the race hampered preparations.

I had a race plan and pretty much stuck to it, slightly different to last year. Due to the flu I had to rearrange how I spent my watts over the course. I may have gone out a little too soft at the start as the guy behind caught me. Once we hit the steep slope his handbrake was applied and I lit the afterburners :) I ripped my legs apart getting up and over the top. Didn't have much left for the last minute and rolled over the line in 10:04. Happy days!

Waited around for an eternity for the results... After close to two hours I decided to leave the venue not knowing the placings. Also disappointed to hear that there are no presentations... At 10pm the results were posted, and grabbed the bronze medal, woohoo! Was also the fastest DHBC rider on the day and in my old division (M2) I would have posted the fastest time. Good signs for the years ahead ;)

dist - 4.2kms
time - 10min 04sec (official time 10:09)
speed - 24.9 km/hr avg (50.5 km/hr max)
cadence - 91 avg (116 max)
heart rate - 182 HR avg (190 max)

On the way to bronze, up over the crest

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri May 06, 2016 7:33 am

Great work congratulations!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri May 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Date: 30th April 16
Venue: NSW Masters Championships Road Race, Orange
Conditions: spots of rain early, fine and cool
Grade: Masters 3, 3 laps
Result: 47th / 58th :( +21.49
Report:

Been looking forward to this race for some time. The course finish suited my abilities, I was putting an expectation on myself for a top 10 in a highly competitive field.

After an OK warmup, we were off. A massive field this year (mostly to do with the venue no doubt) were charged and ready to go. The neutral zone was fairly quick, but slower than a couple of months ago down in Mittagong! After the flag dropped the opening 10km was aggressive. Attack after attack was closed, or so it seemed from where I was positioned in the bunch.

The race then settled down into a good rhythm so I sat near the back and observed. Nearing the finishing climb on the first lap, I felt a little wobble in the rear. My worst fears were confirmed, a flat. Faaaaaaarrrrr.... I got the wheel off quick smart and waited for neutral service to arrive... It took about 30sec, then another 30sec to find an 11sp shimano. On mounting it, the rim was oversized and didn't fit! Back to the car to grab a thinner one. Finally got that one on for the chain to slip off the ring and in between the catcher. Well, just under 5 mins since pulling up for a spare I was off again. Race over. I thought maybe I'd get any sort of assistance from the spares vehicle after the clumsy change, but he overtook me at about 80km/h and I was out on my own :(

Deals were then being played out in my head. Head home after lap 1 or 2? As I was pondering this, I took a wrong turn (actually I continued straight instead of right) but luckily Crafty was in a car behind me, drove up and pointed me in the right direction. Thanks Crafty!

Rejoining the race, I caught a Dubbo guy and I said I'd keep going. He jumped on for the ride, swapping turns when he could. Lap 2 climb approached and he sat up, I thought I might as well finish.

With about 10km to go, the M5's caught me. Took their time :) I rolled off to let them pass and sat back. The commissaire said I might as well sit on and not disturb, so I did just that until 5km to go when I let them fight it out for the win.

Rolled over just over 20 mins behind. A good test of mental strength that has been lacking recently!

dist - 81.2kms
time - 2hr 30min 34sec (official time 2:29:50)
speed - 33.9 km/hr avg (69.5 km/hr max)
cadence - 90 avg (116 max)
heart rate - 164 HR avg (184 max)
Power - 233NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri May 27, 2016 5:42 pm

Date: 2nd May 16
Venue: NSW Masters Championships Time Trial, Orange
Conditions: fine and slightly windy at the finish
Grade: Masters 3,
Result: 14th / 16th :(
Report:

Well, a weekend to forget. During the warmup I got a slow puncture. Different wheels to Saturday, this set were tubs so spent a good amount of time swapping rubber over.

As for the race, the legs didn't really get going at all, would have been about 20% down on power numbers. Very disappointed.

On the upside, even with the poor showing I closed the gap to Milostic (my benchmark to performance), either he is getting slower, I'm getting faster or he had a bad day too (he won by the way).

dist - 22.0kms
time - 33min 55sec (official time 33:55)
speed - 38.8 km/hr avg (65.2 km/hr max)
cadence - 97 avg (112 max)
heart rate - 172 HR avg (178 max)
Power - 248NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:02 am

Date: 29th May 16
Venue: Ken Dinnerville Handcap, Dapto
Conditions: cool and windy at times
Grade: Bunch 5, +15mins on limit, +17mins to scratch
Result: 45th over the line, 29th fastest time /200 listed riders
Report:

Looking at my handicap compared to last year, I've jumped another bunch. I've been into the handicapper to go up and I think this time I can't complain that the bunch is too easy :) . This race will test my real fitness, as no Dinnerville is easy. You could be mistaken for thinking the road surface is cobbled rather than sealed! Thanks to some insight by Derny Driver, I had a race plan suited to my new grade. The Dinnerville is 4 laps containing one "climb" per half lap, out and back course shaped like a Z.

From the off the race was hot. I don't know what the boys up front were trying to prove. The bunch split in half over the first climb 5km in. I shouted out to hold up, but they were more interested in breaking the group...

Being my 8th Dinnerville, I figured these guys had no idea how it would play out. With that, I decided to sit back and let them smash themselves, then rejoin when they had settled down. I had good company, half the bunch had the same thought :)

With lap one done and dusted, the pace settled down. I rejoined the paceline and did my share. We were holding off bunch 4 and closing on bunch 6. Lap 3 was more of the same. We were still on our own by completion of lap 3, with the bunch in front catching all other groups and scratch breathing down our necks.

Lap 4, we caught the bunch in front on the climb, there was a huge number and they were jostling for position. This made it very hard to get past and to the front. It took me a good 5kms to get position to move up the field. I got half way up when the scratch nswis freight train came through. Any sort of move up the field was impossible. I was stuck mid pack :(

Fortunately they sat up and had a rest. Coming up to the u-turn around point, 12km to go, a few ambitious limit riders decided to push their way up the bunch, jumping in front of me. No surprise when scratch smashed it out of the turn that the weaker riders couldn't hold the wheels in front... A big gap opened up and split the peloton. I tried to bridge with a couple of other stronger riders but after 3kms we sat up. Race over.

We rolled back, passing a few scattered riders on the deck after a crash. Lots of blood and broken bikes. Ouch!

I crossed the line 3mins behind the winner and collapsed in pain and exhaustion. What a brutal race. Over half the field registered DNF's so I was happy with the result. Also picked up bragging rights as the fastest DHBC rider on the day :)

Looking at the stats, my average HR over close to 3hrs was 7 beats higher than my previous best 1hr threshold. :shock:

dist - 105.6kms
time - 2hr 45min 48sec (official time 2:45:50)
speed - 38.2 km/hr avg (65.9 km/hr max)
cadence - 91 avg (112 max)
heart rate - 173 HR avg (185 max)
Power - 238NP

Powering over the top of the hill

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:09 am

... And for those in sydney, I decided to skip the sydney road titles due to the weather. I can't believe they still held them to be honest. The race really offers me nothing so I pulled the pin on Friday morning. Half to two thirds of each group was a DNS... Well done to those who did turn up and raced, far more dedicated than me :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:09 pm

Strawburger wrote:Date: 29th May 16
Venue: Ken Dinnerville Handcap, Dapto
Conditions: cool and windy at times
Grade: Bunch 5, +15mins on limit, +17mins to scratch
Result: 45th over the line, 29th fastest time /200 listed riders
Report:

Looking at my handicap compared to last year, I've jumped another bunch. I've been into the handicapper to go up and I think this time I can't complain that the bunch is too easy :) . This race will test my real fitness, as no Dinnerville is easy. You could be mistaken for thinking the road surface is cobbled rather than sealed! Thanks to some insight by Derny Driver, I had a race plan suited to my new grade. The Dinnerville is 4 laps containing one "climb" per half lap, out and back course shaped like a Z.

From the off the race was hot. I don't know what the boys up front were trying to prove. The bunch split in half over the first climb 5km in. I shouted out to hold up, but they were more interested in breaking the group...

Being my 8th Dinnerville, I figured these guys had no idea how it would play out. With that, I decided to sit back and let them smash themselves, then rejoin when they had settled down. I had good company, half the bunch had the same thought :)

With lap one done and dusted, the pace settled down. I rejoined the paceline and did my share. We were holding off bunch 4 and closing on bunch 6. Lap 3 was more of the same. We were still on our own by completion of lap 3, with the bunch in front catching all other groups and scratch breathing down our necks.

Lap 4, we caught the bunch in front on the climb, there was a huge number and they were jostling for position. This made it very hard to get past and to the front. It took me a good 5kms to get position to move up the field. I got half way up when the scratch nswis freight train came through. Any sort of move up the field was impossible. I was stuck mid pack :(

Fortunately they sat up and had a rest. Coming up to the u-turn around point, 12km to go, a few ambitious limit riders decided to push their way up the bunch, jumping in front of me. No surprise when scratch smashed it out of the turn that the weaker riders couldn't hold the wheels in front... A big gap opened up and split the peloton. I tried to bridge with a couple of other stronger riders but after 3kms we sat up. Race over.

We rolled back, passing a few scattered riders on the deck after a crash. Lots of blood and broken bikes. Ouch!

I crossed the line 3mins behind the winner and collapsed in pain and exhaustion. What a brutal race. Over half the field registered DNF's so I was happy with the result. Also picked up bragging rights as the fastest DHBC rider on the day :)

Looking at the stats, my average HR over close to 3hrs was 7 beats higher than my previous best 1hr threshold. :shock:

dist - 105.6kms
time - 2hr 45min 48sec (official time 2:45:50)
speed - 38.2 km/hr avg (65.9 km/hr max)
cadence - 91 avg (112 max)
heart rate - 173 HR avg (185 max)
Power - 238NP

Powering over the top of the hill

That's still a good effort, Strawburger, cadence and average speed is good, for someone that isn't full time training. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:15 pm

I'd love more time to train, at the moment all I'm doing is commuting and racing!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Date: 6th June 16
Venue: West Head TT
Conditions: cold!!!
Grade: open, individual (they had other club champs on the day, we were the leftovers)
Result: 4th / 21 listed riders
Report:

Thought I'd line up for this one for 1. some practice for the club Team Time Trial next month and 2. To justify having a TT rig.

I put some new rubber on the TT wheels, the same as the road bike. It's like riding the magic carpet. It certainly takes comfort and speed to another level!

I was first off after the u19's champs. Looking at those kids made me feel very old and very fat :)

Never done an ITT this long (24kms), so it would be a test of endurance and pacing strategy.

I am pretty sure there are no flat bits on the course, you're either going up or going down. At least the hills on the way out are downhills on the way back :)

About 2km in I hit the first significant rise I stupidly decide to dump the front ring and the rear cluster at the same time. Result: 1 minute trying to put the chain back on :(

Jumped back on the bike and refocused. I tapped out a good rhythm and at the turn around point my 1 minute marker was about 1.5 mins behind. I had passed a few on the way out and I passed a few more on the way back. No u19s though. Crossing the start line, I was hitting 70km/hr. Awesome! Still 1 km to go though and that was tough going as most of it was uphill. The last 100m I was out of the saddle and crossed the line sub 40mins.

Happy with that. Still had a bit left in me, but not much. Rolled back to the car thinking I'd be mid pack. Got home and realised I scored 4th. Now I felt bad that I could have won, or be a very close 2nd if I didn't drop my chain!!!

dist - 23.5kms
time - 39min 47sec (official time 39:43)
speed - 35.5 km/hr avg (69.7 km/hr max)
cadence - 93 avg (115 max)
heart rate - 173 HR avg (179 max)
Power - 273NP

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Date: 7th June 16
Venue: West Head road race
Grade: A grade debut
Result: in the pack / 50 odd
Report:

I reckon I had a club A grade in me pretty soon, what better way to test myself in A than on a course I'd do well at.

With a few other DH racers in the bunch and a mammoth field, this was going to be a tough initiation. Or so I thought.

I took my position near the rear of the field for the first few kms, then realised it wasn't all that bad, so on the first crest I found myself near the front. I'd have a look and see what others were doing from here. A few attacks and a breakaway formed, only to be pulled back. Just before the turnaround point, "the wall" broke up the field. I found myself stuck between the field and a few who went off the front. I decided to chase and open up a gap. Soon after joining we were back together. I banked that situation as an opportunity later in the race...

I decided to sit in and rolled with the pack for a bit. Just after completion of lap 1 a guy in NSCC kit strikes up conversation with me. Sure enough, it's ft_critical! Nice to put a face to a name! That spurred me to head back up to the front, at the exact time two of FT's mates attack and gap riders. I counter attacked and attempted to bridge. I asked the question if anyone else wanted to go, fortunately I had a couple of companions. Soon enough though we were reeled in.

The wall approached and again I was at or near the front of the peloton. The two young whipper snappers were opening up their breakaway. Guys attacked again at the wall. I couldn't help myself and joined the attack. This break lasted the longest, however we were closed down after about 5 mins at a guess. The peloton slowed and it looked like the kids were holding their own and still had a good gap at completion of lap 2.

Shortly after, the peloton got their act together and started to chase down the leaders. As FT put it, I am still in handicap mode so I was rolling on the front with a handful of others. The wall approached, I didn't have the legs to attack, so I held onto the bunch. We continued to roll and we finally caught one of the two breakaway riders. With a sizeable bunch and a lone leader dangling, I decided to sit up and roll in with the bunch for the remaining 10kms.

Job done, happy with what I did and how I did it. Today wasn't about the win, more so how I could handle A grade. This gives me confidence that I belong here and will be back for more, possibly even ride smarter next time ;)

dist - 67.2kms
time - 1hr 49min 09sec
speed - 37.0 km/hr avg (70.7 km/hr max)
cadence - 89 avg (115 max)
heart rate - 162 HR avg (181 max)
Power - 268NP

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:39 pm

You rode really well and easily handled the race; animating it.

It is funny though, you would expect with all the hills it would be a climbers race, yet they are too short to be decicisive so it is in fact a race for the rouleurs.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:36 pm

Yes I'm quite surprised too. Not many races out there for the pure climbers

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Strawburger wrote:Date: 6th June 16
Venue: West Head TT
Grade: open, individual (they had other club champs on the day, we were the leftovers)
Result: 4th / 21 listed riders
Report:

Thought I'd line up for this one for 1. some practice for the club Team Time Trial next month and 2. To justify having a TT rig.

I put some new rubber on the TT wheels, the same as the road bike. It's like riding the magic carpet. It certainly takes comfort and speed to another level!

I was first off after the u19's champs. Looking at those kids made me feel very old and very fat :)

Never done an ITT this long (24kms), so it would be a test of endurance and pacing strategy.

I am pretty sure there are no flat bits on the course, you're either going up or going down. At least the hills on the way out are downhills on the way back :)

About 2km in I hit the first significant rise I stupidly decide to dump the front ring and the rear cluster at the same time. Result: 1 minute trying to put the chain back on :(

Jumped back on the bike and refocused. I tapped out a good rhythm and at the turn around point my 1 minute marker was about 1.5 mins behind. I had passed a few on the way out and I passed a few more on the way back. No u19s though. Crossing the start line, I was hitting 70km/hr. Awesome! Still 1 km to go though and that was tough going as most of it was uphill. The last 100m I was out of the saddle and crossed the line sub 40mins.

Happy with that. Still had a bit left in me, but not much. Rolled back to the car thinking I'd be mid pack. Got home and realised I scored 4th. Now I felt bad that I could have won, or be a very close 2nd if I didn't drop my chain!!!

dist - 23.5kms
time - 39min 47sec (official time 39:43)
speed - 35.5 km/hr avg (69.7 km/hr max)
cadence - 93 avg (115 max)
heart rate - 173 HR avg (179 max)
Power - 273NP
Was looking at the time and thinking that the course must be hillier than Calga as your speed was down over a similar distance and then I read that you lost time fixing your chain. How did the terrain compare with Calga 25k?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Calga is way easier