Strawbuger's Racing Log

For Roadies

Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby Strawburger » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:18 am

Definitely like you foo! Looking back, some of my worst results have come after being rushed in warmup. I haven't figured out yet what the shortest amount of time is though, I would think having a very long warmup would be counter productive to keeping the legs fresh enough for the racing. It's one of those things to discover as the years go by!

A pity you found out too late and it cost you a state title. The australian masters road race this year starts with a 3km climb. Warmup will be critical!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
Strawburger

by BNA » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:25 am

BNA

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:25 am

Yeah but you get that. :lol:

I will be looking at the Masters Titles in another few years, Strawbuger. I just need to get myself hardened up and race fit again. :wink:

At the moment, around 14klms (AT) 25-30kmh sees my legs warmed up. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Strawburger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:09 am

cheers again foo!

better get cracking on the next instalment of my racing exploits!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:38 am

Date: 9 August 14
Venue: Goulburn Great Divide - NSW ITT Championships & Masters Invitational
Conditions: Sunny & gusty wind
Grade: Masters M1&2
Result: 5th / 9
Report:

I've added this event to my calendar due to recently purchasing a dedicated time trial frame for the state & national championships. This was a hit out to test the machinery and the engine on the new bike and iron out any "creases"

Onto the race! I had a good warmup once i squeezed into the skinsuit and got the bike built. I felt comfortable on the bike so that's a bonus. The course is the same as the NSW champs last year - large headwind and uphill on the way out, downhill and tailwind on the way back.

I rolled out and kept a good early pace and power, keeping an eye on the average power to ensure i didn't go out too hard, but enough of a stretch so i could sail home. I was 3rd last to go so I kept the guy in front in sight and made sure the guy behind wasn't catching. The wind and incline was such that i needed to stay in the small ring and keep as aero as possible. Got to the half way point without being past, and the guy in front was closer than when i started. Good signs ahead! Did the turn around in about 21:30 (32km/hr). Happy with that and on track for a PB.

Turned and did the small incline before the awesome downhill/tailwind section and noticed that the derailleur woun't shift into the big ring. damn! I stopped on the crest and manually shifted into the big ring. Cost me 20sec... Didn't panic, the 20sec lost would be a lot less than if i stayed in the small ring. I powered over the rolling false flats and got ready for the really fast bit. Damn! couldn't shift into the 11sprocket. oh well. Spun out on a few occasions, it's an awesome feeling holding 60km/hr in the gusting winds with deep profile rims in a tuck position. The guy in front had disappeared and the guy behind was closing. Rolled over the line in 37mins, 16:30 (43.5km/hr) for the back half. Picked up last place starting, but was only 35sec off 2nd which i'm pleased about.

I've mistakenly thought I'm a far better bike mechanic and i'd build it up myself to reduce the costs. :oops: Well, fortunately this was a test event! Firstly, i installed cheap extension valves. the one on the front broke so I was unable to get great pressure in the front tub. Second and Thirdly I'd packed the bike and bent the front derailleur and nudged the rear derailleur (don't have a bike bag for this bike). Oh well, live and learn!

dist - 22.7kms
time - 37min 00sec (official time 37:00)
speed - 36.6km/hr avg (59.8km/hr max)
cadence - 98 avg
heart rate - 177 HR avg (182 max)
Power - not at peak yet!
Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:59 am

Date: 10 August 14
Venue: Goulburn Great Divide Scratch Race
Conditions: Sunny & windy
Grade: D (45kms)
Result: 6th / 22
Report:

I was using this race to try out a few different things, including finding some form. I picked my points to attack beforehand and see how the race unveiled. I was feeling dizzy the night before, not sure if it was left over from a bug i have had or whether i'm ill from something else. I was tracking my health closely so if i was bad i'd jump off the bike. The course was pretty much the same as the ITT course, just a little longer.

I positioned myself on or near the front and worked the group through the headwinds. A few early attacks from others didn't amount to much, but one guy went and it stuck. We left him out there to battle it out, i was content to sit in the bunch. One by one, the pack reduced as the wind and hills got too much. A few guys attacked to bridge the reducing gap to the solo breakaway rider, no real reaction from the pack and i wasn't interested. Got to the half way point ready for the downhills and tailwind.

The breakaway riders formed and started pulling away. The peloton attacked and uphill bits with gusto. I held on on every hill, being at the front either at the start or the end of each rise. We pulled back the breakaway with 10km to go, there was 11 of us left. This got down to 7 with 5km to go. As we were approaching my predetermined attack point, one rider went. The pack reacted late and we were down to 5. The guy was out in front and looked to have sealed up the win with a good 50m lead. With 1km to go I looked around and attacked. I was closing the gap and got within 20m. I popped just as the sprint started. The four riders on my tail got me on the line as the breakaway rider took the win by only 10m.

Happier with my form after that ride, tried a few things and can use that info for the states and nationals in september!

dist - 44.6kms
time - 1hr 14min 29sec (official time 1:16:15)
speed - 35.9km/hr avg (63.0km/hr max)
cadence - 91 avg
heart rate - 169 HR avg (190 max)
Power - 252W NP
Strawburger

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:36 am

Ya never know, if ya never have a go! 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Tarquin » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Just been reading your tour of bright review. I was persuaded into entering it by a riding mate, I'm in Elite C and he's masters B, we are similar ability really as there's only a few years between us too.

What sort of w per kg were you making to finish middle of the pack? The length of the climbs is what worries me, we have plenty of steep hills around Bathurst but nothing anywhere near that length.

I have no TT bike so was planning to use clip on bars too.

I was planning to train on a local climb known as the Euro which is about 3.5km at 7%, and do repeats of it when possible.
Tarquin

Postby Strawburger » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:55 pm

Good luck Tarquin. It's a fabulous race which is beautiful when you get dropped :)

Without giving too much away, my tt with clip ons averaged around the 4 w/kg. The last climb on stage 2 I averaged about 3.25w/kg which included a quite spectacular blow up from me. The stage 3 monster was about a 3.25-3.5 w/kg effort.

From my limited experience the bunch holds together until the last climb on each stage. The intermediate climb on stage 2 may catch a few out though.

My training consisted of 4km 5% climbs here in sydney. No need to do the huge ones if you know how to suffer on the indoor trainer. The power should roughly translate onto the sizeable mountains.

How are your numbers looking? Do you fit in that bracket?
Strawburger

Postby Tarquin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:40 pm

I should easily do 3.8w per kg, and by then as long as my training goes to plan 4.2w/kg should be do able based off the last TT effort I did and losing 5% for threshold power.

Ofc that depends how fresh I'm feeling after 100km in the legs!

My problem is that I am tall so not very aero and because I'm tall, I'm also heavier than most riders.
Tarquin

Postby Strawburger » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Weight won't matter if you are already pulling those numbers Tarquin! It's guys like me that need that extra kg to attain the w/kg... Aero may be a problem, but it's a very short TT so you my be able to get away with it.

Freshness will count on day 3. There is nowhere to hide on a 20+km climb, so don't do anything stupid like attempting a breakaway on stage 2 unless you know you are going to win! :D
Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:30 pm

Date: 31 August 14
Venue: Kurrajong Classic
Conditions: Sunny
Grade: Div3 (66kms - 2 laps)
Result: 21st / 74
Report:

My favourite race of the season due to only the genuine climb on the calendar, i usually do well in this one. The form was good but not perfect, so the aim was to "fine tune" for the state & national champs next month. I was close last year for the KOM, so i was targeting a good result for the KOM and a good pacing across the line at the finish.

We rolled off and within the first few kms we had the descent & climb. I found myself near the front on the descent and led the peloton up the climb. A team mate and one other rounded me so i opened up a slight gap for them to decide whether they wanted to go on a breakaway. They did, but it was far too far out to succeed this early in the race. I barked orders at the climbers to sort out a paceline and start driving the pace. Only a couple including myself were interested for a few kms then it broke down. I sat on the front and controlled the pace. In the back of my head i was thinking this is stupid, but i needed to really test myself so i continued for about 10 mins. My pace slowed and this allowed others to roll to the front, and eventually breakaway to join the two out front. The peloton decided quickly to shut it down and we were all back together at about the 20km mark. A small group then attacked again at 22km, this one looked pretty serious. They were out by about 30sec with about 10mins to the KOM point. I was near the front and getting nervous. I called a team mate to lead the counter attack to bridge the gap. We went at the 29km mark and I sat on his wheel. We reckoned we needed to catch them and have enough to recover before both leading the charge for the KOM. We really went hard and swapped turns. We caught them at about the 32km mark absolutely stuffed, just on 5 mins before the kom :) Bummer we dragged the poloton with us :roll:

We were in a great position again for the descent, i was in about 10th position, my mate was in the top few. Once the road tilted up, it was game on. There were about 8 DH riders in great positions, we have this covered! I sat on at the front of the poloton as my mate and one other DH rider went off up the road. I kept a steady pace as a few riders passed me midway up. I didn't panic and kept a good pace (A bit like Froomy in the Vuelta!). Soon i was passing those riders as they popped. I ended up a few seconds down and cresting in 5th position, with some major gaps opened up. My mate got the KOM, another DH rider was 2nd! They kept pushing on but as the rest of the climbers crested they decided not to do anything. I had enough and decided to sit on myself. There were a few attacks but nothing of note. It was a huge front group but no-one pushing the pace. By 45kms I already knew it was going to be a bunch sprint. Fast forward 15kms when the guys start getting twitchy. I found myself thinking i wanted to go to work tomorrow in one piece so i made my way up to the front of the pack to join my mate. We rolled on the front for the last 5kms. Not surprisingly no-one wanted to take up the pace. We were there for the start of the sprint. I kicked as others started their sprints with 500m to go (a little far out!), I held on near the front until the last 100m and got rolled by a huge amount of riders on the line.

Happy with the effort, happy with my tactics, lots of learning to take to the big races next month!

dist - 65.0kms
time - 1hr 44min 50sec (official time 1:45:14)
speed - 37.2km/hr avg (79.8km/hr max)
cadence - 90 avg
heart rate - 172 HR avg (190 max)
Power - 256W NP :shock:
Strawburger

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:52 pm

Rumor has it that Strawburger is getting some secret training in RNP for preparation for the NSW and AU champs over the next 2 weeks
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Strawburger » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:44 pm

Mike, all my training is secret training :D
Strawburger

Previous

Return to Road Biking