Re: Strawbuger's Racing Log

Postby am50em » Tue May 02, 2017 8:01 am

:D nice work!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 am

Good stuff, Strawburger. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu May 18, 2017 8:55 am

Date: 9th April 17
Venue: Berrima Graded
Conditions: cold, sunny
Grade: Div 3
Result: 5th / 20 odd
Report:

Got div 3, not really what I wanted in the lead up to the state champs. So I decided to go hard. I could race smart, but it's not really what I'm after.

I had three options. Attack after 5km and time trial with the two other DH riders, attack at the conclusion of lap one, or sit on and win the thing.

The warmup was cold, first time in donning the arm and leg warmers this year. After a bit of a wait for other competitors, we were off. We were sharing the race with the u19 women's race, making the peloton around 30 odd.

A club mate and I sat on the front for the neutral section, ensuring no silly buggers happen. Into the race proper and we sat on the front and controlled any stupid early attacks. Once that was sorted, we rolled in at mid field, keeping an eye on any opportunities.

The first pre meditated attack point came and went, I told the lads to hold out, as it has been a slow start. A few others went but the pack was dragged back together.

The same point of attack as a couple of weeks ago came, and that was the point I decided to go. A quick tap on the back to my club mates and I was off. We forced the break, first it was three of us, soon we were had the strongest 10 riders in the bunch, we shed the ladies. We drove the pace for the next 5km to the base of the finish climb.

I got back on the front and put everyone under pressure with my club mates. Just couldn't shake the pack... So I sat in at the crest and waited for the next attempt.

The second lap and the group shared turns. We were sort of rolling well, but it may have been a little easy. With 15km to go, one guy went off the front. I let him go, thinking we would get him back. Little did I know he was good!

He quickly opened up a gap and maintained 15 sec. At the attack point from last lap, we ramped up the chase.

I jumped on the front and went hard, I put in another mini attack to force the pace a bit, I managed to shed a few more riders. I led down the hill and with the finishing hill to go, 6 chasers were still behind the leader.

I didn't have much left in the tank for the final km uphill. The remaining riders took off. I tried to stay on, but they were slowly getting away. A spectator on the side of the road (it just so happened to be Brad McGee!!!) yelled some encouragement. I got out of the saddle and gave everything I had, overtaking one rider, but ending up in 5th spot. One of the club mates bagged 2nd, only a few seconds behind the winner.

Happy with the hard efforts I put in, should do me good for the state champs in a few weeks.

dist - 44.5kms
time - 1hr 17min 10sec
speed - 34.6km/hr avg (75.2 km/hr max)
cadence - 90 avg (140 max)
heart rate - 170 HR avg (187 max)
Power - 259w NP :)
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Strawbuger, I keep seeing the same mistakes being made by you. :? Gunna have to slap ya around with a bat, if ya don't change ya tactics. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri May 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Yeah, bad riding on purpose, hopefully it doesn't become bad habits though :)
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)