Race Report Thread

Chuck

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby Chuck » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Xplora wrote:
Chuck, it's easy enough to just make sure you stay in front and soft pedal to allow a gap to grow.
There's a big difference between setting a false tempo on the front while a mate slips off up the road compared to "blocking" a charging bunch with 500 metres to go at the hairiest point on the circuit (and in the wet).
Xplora wrote:... the handling through the S's is diabolical at the best of times
Your words describing that sector. 20 guys charging into there at race speed only to find some clown "soft pedalling" to slow them down would surely have elicited a response or two from your fellow riders ?

The brief race report on the Penrith website said that 5 guys got away with 2 laps to go and stayed away so maybe your blocking claim was just a bit of "Hollywood" added to spice up your report :P
FPR Ragamuffin

zozza

Postby zozza » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Chuck wrote:
Xplora wrote:Penrith Regatta Centre B grade 20/1 4th place

I don't know what has possessed me at this point because I think I was trying to block or at least soft pedal through the S's onto the final straight.
Are you exaggerating here ? One of the most notorious places for accidents on the Sydney crit scene and you intentionally try to block ? The words I'd use to describe that kind of tactic would probably get me punted from the forum.

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:36 pm

No B or A grade race at Sutho Twilights tonight. The rain came in as C grade was ending and they cancelled the rest because we weren't allowed to race if there was lightning...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:41 pm

27/1 Waratahs at Eastern Creek full GP circuit. DNF :shock:

First DNF and the biggest field I have had the privilege of racing with. B grade had 49 starters today. I hid up the back and moved up a couple times, but the legs just didn't quite have that fresh snap I was expecting after 4 shots of coffee and a decent carb load the night before. Things just felt heavy. Didn't clean the drivetrain after Monday and I might have paid the price, also did some big gear repeats on Saturday and I know it is easier to create a neurophysical challenge by maximal efforts than I ever appreciate until needing to fire later.

Start line was friendly, said hi to a dozen people I knew, and my partner in crime revealed he had hit the beers yesterday so was ruined. I motored around trying to find some position and noticed my maye on the front suffering for no gain so I got up front to give him a rest. Dumb move. I faded and got dropped within a lap. Had to take a couple shortcuts to be able to get back on the back of the bunch for some extra trainimg. Power data shows I just about equalled my first B grade race there, despite the blowup. Need to up the FTP again.

Truly shocked at my performance but it was encouraging that I coped ok, got some strong numbers, and learnt more. I work waaaay better in small fields. This breakaway heroism or even taking turns is dangerous in the higher grades. I have got to improve my strength and anaerobic fitness if I want to survive in B. more hills, more hills, more trainer. More hills. More hills?

Porridgewog

Postby Porridgewog » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 pm

It's just time mate. Strength comes with time too and also boxing clever in big fields. I know how your legs feel though. This Tour of sufferlandria is hurting heaps. 16 x 1 mins at 400w on revolver isn't funny.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 pm

Xplora wrote:First DNF and the biggest field I have had the privilege of racing with. B grade had 49 starters today. I hid up the back and moved up a couple times, but the legs just didn't quite have that fresh snap I was expecting after 4 shots of coffee and a decent carb load the night before.
i know that feeling! ;)

sometimes it's just not your day. don't stress over it and come out swinging the next race! also check your brakes aren't rubbing..

trek52

Postby trek52 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:02 am

B grade was pretty quick from all reports yesterday, my brother was in there and finished mid pacl.

I rode A grade and was pretty happy with 2nd, ended up away with Peter for 45 min, he is a machine....

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm

Congrats on the 2nd, Milostic is alien. Love to know who is his coach!

Comforting to know others thought it was tough. A lot of LACC guys raced and I think that changes the flavour of the race since they do similar things together like SOP and track. Definitely not something I work well with. I like the term boxing clever, it sums up strategy really well.
Decided I am going to take a few days off just doing recovery, try and start a new block next week. Might have to stay off the 16 z7 intervals (beast!!) :lol:

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 pm

You should try the twilight races at The Armoury on Thursday nights. A short, quick, hard course with plenty of good As and Bs to play with.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Only thing stopping me is funds and time, BFV. Tahs, Penrith, Marconi and LACC adds up to serious wife patience testing lol

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Xplora wrote:Only thing stopping me is funds and time, BFV. Tahs, Penrith, Marconi and LACC adds up to serious wife patience testing lol
Sure about that - given your results lately I reckon you'd be cash positive!?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:31 pm

I worked out I've got to win about a thousand races to pay for the licence, insurance, bike and coffee :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Xplora wrote:I worked out I've got to win about a thousand races to pay for the licence, insurance, bike and coffee :lol:
I'm in a similar predicament. I'm going to have to ride damn well to pay for the new bike. :shock: Thank god I've got no significant other (aka SWMBO) to answer to or I'd be in solitary confinement. :lol:
heuston wrote:
Xplora wrote:Only thing stopping me is funds and time, BFV. Tahs, Penrith, Marconi and LACC adds up to serious wife patience testing lol
Sure about that - given your results lately I reckon you'd be cash positive!?
You haven't seen his bike I guess. It's quite the machine alright. 8)

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Prize money only needs to cover entry fees and coffee in my mind (bike etc should be considered a sunk cost).

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:17 am

CCCC Sandown Crit - C Grade

Well after a hot day and the temperature hitting 42 degrees and another morning 60km hilly ride i decided to front up to my second crit race ever. With a reduced field of maybe 20 riders, probably due to the hot temperatures, i was feeling pretty good on the start line. The bunch rolled along at a pretty steady pace with a few false attacks for the first 10minutes of the 50 minute race, until a young kid decided to have a crack at a break about 20 minutes in and put in a few hundred meters on the field and he made it stick. The field feeling the heat, wasn't responding particularly well and he managed to stay out front for the whole race.

It was at about this point i realized that i had gone through most of my water and i was dehydrated from my ride earlier in the day and a sufferfest session the night before, i was thinking im not sure im going to make the 50min mark. This is when the Chaos started, A-Grade came around on a tight bend, C grade moved left, slowed to let them pass, suddenly I noticed to C-graders sitting on the tails of A-grade and they were gone within a matter of a few hundred meters, with half the bunch not knowing they had gone and the other half not willing to chase in the heat.

Another lap in and a group of three broke away from the main field, i decided i better chase this down and did a TT effort to bring them back, i could see shadows behind me and thought i had dragged the main field along with me, but when i turned around to my amazement only 1 other guy had managed to hold my wheel. I finally grabbed a wheel and tried to sit there for a few minutes catching my breath when another rider managed to catch us, so there were 6 of us away the main field had been decimated and was spread over 3km of track.

We were now in our own little race for 4th, and I was out of water :shock:

I looked around at the other 5 riders, a few were in the hurt box and not doing a turn, with three of us working and three sucking wheels. I was getting left on the front into the headwind 3 laps in a row, despite my pleading for someone to come around and take a turn i was starting to feel pretty lonely. So i decided its time to treat this as a road race, so i stuck it into the gutter so to speak, got aero and rode next to the barrier of the road for protection, no one behind me was getting any benefit from my draft if they weren't going to help out. We were getting split into the headwind and coming back together for the tailwind, it was chaos, but i was doing some damage to the wheel suckers in the finale laps. Finally i decided enough was enough, cat and mouse is fun but not for me and besides i cant sprint! So on the final lap, into the headwind i jumped and got a gap of 50m or so TT'ing the last 2km with only 2 of the boys able to stay close, final bend came around and one guy managed to catch me and out sprint me for fourth.

Was a great Race and I probably rode it better than last week despite finishing 5th, Im treating the Crit racing and road racing practice, as i cant sprint im probably always going to go on the attack, and twice now i feel like im one of the strongest in bunch. Maybe next week ill go with the first attack and see if i cant make it stick.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:58 am

g-boaf wrote:You haven't seen his bike I guess. It's quite the machine alright. 8)
"All the gear, and no idea!" Need to get a vinyl printed for the top tube... :oops:

Well done Iain. Honestly, I wouldn't expect such results from myself with such crappy prep - Sufferfest yesterday, ultra hot headwinds and 60km hilly ride in the morning? You're a better man than I :lol: Probably ideal conditions for you though, short field in the wind seems to work for the breakaway.

Arty

Postby Arty » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 am

Xplora wrote:Congrats on the 2nd, Milostic is alien. Love to know who is his coach!
Milostic is at another level.... as for his coach i can probably put you in contact

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:27 pm

HCC c grade. having ridden the alpine classic on the weekend, i didn't have high expectations. but i felt OK after a couple of days off. my problem was a tight hammy which gave me grief as soon as i opened her up on the hill on lap 1. i stayed seated for the next 20 minutes and spun a lower gear, losing touch with the bunch on a few occasions up the hill but riding back on. one of the TFM guys (nick) got away and the bunch hesitated - he was gone. if i'd felt better i'd have liked to try and bridge up to him, but i didn't and i also didn't want to bring the bunch up to him. deserving winner as he gives it a crack every week. i finished OK in the bunch which i was happy with in the circumstances. next week!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 pm

Honest little crit circuit that one jules21. Well done after last weekends Alpine!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 am

dalai47 wrote:Honest little crit circuit that one jules21. Well done after last weekends Alpine!
thanks dalai. alarm went off this morning, raised head off pillow, felt dizzy and copped another 15 minutes of sleep :)

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:40 pm

LACC Newington Armoury
C Grade

This is a new criterium circuit discovered by LACC inside the Armoury at Newington near SOP in Sydney. I went down last week to watch, I was a bit late to start the race. This week I came home a bit earlier and got down for a try out. The circuit is a 1.1km loop with one tight corner, a small climb and a wide turn around the back that's a bit Paris-Roubaix with lots of bumps over the concrete slabs. Tonight we had a cross-wind on the straight before the tight turn.

The race is just 20mins plus one lap and the tight turn and climb out makes it hard with the fight for position before the turn and the sprint out of it on each lap. I tried a little push after a couple of laps but wasn't really serious about staying away. For most of the race we were lined up single file and I tried to stay top 10, the sprint out of the corner got harder each time and looking back there were a fair few dropped from the bunch. With 5 mins to go I tried to start moving up, trying to take one place on each lap after the corner, that worked for two laps but then I lost a bunch of places and found myself almost at the back of the now reduced bunch. Next lap things slowed a bit and I pulled out of the climb in front, but that wasn't going to last as I was feeling very stretched. Next lap would be the bell and I was at the back on the tight corner, then I was dropped and I watched the bunch ride away from me. On the way down after the bell they slowed a bit and I thought I might catch back on but that didn't happen and I rolled around with a couple of other dropped riders to the finish.

Overall a nice race, a good circuit giving a different race to the others that I've tried around Sydney. Well done to LACC finding this new circuit.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:50 pm

stevecassidy wrote:The race is just 20mins plus one lap
that's really short. you'd want to be warmed up properly for that! i can't see many breakaways succeeding in such a short race - the bunch should be shot for letting anyone away.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 pm

jules21 wrote:
stevecassidy wrote:The race is just 20mins plus one lap
that's really short. you'd want to be warmed up properly for that! i can't see many breakaways succeeding in such a short race - the bunch should be shot for letting anyone away.
It's actually quite hard to chase down a good break with such a short circuit. I was in the D grade race sitting at 1st or 2nd wheel for the first 12 minutes. Two riders came barreling past and got some distance on us. I was urging the guy in front to shut down the break, but he just sat there doing nothing. I went around him and dragged the break back a bit, but sprinting out of corners is not my forte and I got passed by the guys I just helped out. I didn't have the legs to jump on the back, and by the time I settled down and got my breath I couldn't get back on. It was only a few seconds, but I couldn't bridge. The wind on the straight was a shocker, and no matter how fast you go on that straight you have to pull it back for the 120 degree turn at the end.

It's less like a crit and more like a track race without the flow, sort of like a points race where the bunches start breaking up after the first or second sprint lap. It's hard, and a lot of guys who really know their stuff and who win elsewhere in Sydney were dropped very quickly. A moment's hesitation and you're off the back, and there's no where on the circuit to make up that time. Yes, very much like a track race.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:50 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I was urging the guy in front to shut down the break, but he just sat there doing nothing.
That's standard racing behaviour in D lol. You can rely on it!

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:53 pm

There's a nice video taken by the second placed rider of the last two laps - just about when I got dropped. A good tour of the circuit though.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney