Re: Race Report Thread

Postby jules21 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:55 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You left out the dry retching Jules. :lol:
i'm not fit enough to get to that stage, yet, Foo :o

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Some CX fun at the Nundah Crit, Brisbane, yesterday

Mr. McEwen and sprog were conspicuous by their outstanding skillsets.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Christened my new 45mm TWE carbon tubs today. I was worried about braking but I ran Swisstop red today and there was no squealing at all. Braking was stronger than I expected. When carbon rimmed brakes work, they work well. The big difference is there is less modulation than alu, but it stops harder with less effort.

As for performance, I am impressed. The race today was 50kms and took in some of the hilly roads south near Tharwa without hitting the mountains. There was a new rider I know from another bunch ride who just qualified for Vets, so I knew it was going to be on. I knew my pre-considered tactics were going to require a rethink. I intended staying with the bunch and do no more work than others did, then attack from the far turnaround and try and stay away, which might have worked albeit in cahoots with another rider who won last week.

We started the long false flat away from the start into a hefty headwind and, as with other races at this location, without trying, a couple of us got a break. It just happened without any effort whatsoever. The riders behind just didnt hold the wheel and suddenly we had 50m on the bunch. With 49km to go, I asked if we wanted to go that early, but before I could answer, two more came across, making it a 4 man breakaway. That'll do.

Initial impressions of the wheels was that they cut through headwinds better than 23mm clinchers and rode better to boot. We turned for the first turnaround and got a tail wind and riding was almost effortless, even when on the front. The wheels act like a sail. Effortless is obviously an exaggeration, but it was less effort than any other wheels I have ridden. Coming back into a cross head wind was easier too.

The 4 of us maintained status quo and shared the work reasonably evenly apart from one guy who took one turn in two. I am impressed with the way these wheels descend. They just felt faster. The non worker gets dropped on the first reasonable climb and we push on towards the next turnaround. On the way back, we have at least a minute on the pursuers but less than I expected. The pace is pushed. The wheels allow me to sit in when not taking a turn using less energy, which was an unexpected surprise.

The next climb, the big sprinter is dropped, but he is a hefty unit with a bunch of power and maintains the gap til the road turns into the headwind. 2 vs 1 makes it tough and he falls away. Its down to two and an agreement to work together to stay away is reached until the final turn 2kms out from the finish. Big effort is put in to counter the headwind, but it is obvious we are out on our own for a good reason, so we pass the final turnaround with a minute or two gap, with the rest another minute behind. Final turn to finish and we shake hands and get on with it. I end up on the front somehow even though I am simply coasting and I cant relinquish position. I can see his shadow, but when he went, it was hard. I was about half a second too late and he gets a gap which is maintained for about 300m until we hit the final pinch of 200m. I start to make inroads into his lead, but it is all for nought. He pips me on the line by 3 sec.

The wheels arent absurdly faster, but they make going that fast slightly easier and less fatiguing. So worth the spend. I wish I could ride em everyday...

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Well done mrgolf. You had the field outclassed yesterday.

I'll pick up on two points though.
mrgolf wrote: There was a new rider I know from another bunch ride who just qualified for Vets, so I knew it was going to be on.
The wheels arent absurdly faster, but they make going that fast slightly easier and less fatiguing. So worth the spend. I wish I could ride em everyday...
If by qualified you mean turned 35, if you read the rules he has been qualified all year. Too late now.

Go on get yourself another pair of wheels. Put some Tufo tubulars on (they are constructed like tubeless clinchers) fill them up with goo and go for it. :wink: It depends on how many punctures you usually get, (I wouldn't suggest this for twizzle who is the puncture king).

Fortunately the roads we race on mean that you can get away with race tyres that don't have much in the way of puncture resistance so good race tyres and solid (not literally, except maybe for twizzle) training tyres are the way to go.

Cheers,

Cameron

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Tom Probert teams race - support race A grade*

2nd race back after a long layoff. last weeks TT was a killer, so i was hoping a flat race around Calder Park motor racing circuit would be easier. except there were strong winds. basically my plan was to hang on to the bunch. i started near the front, which was all nice and good, but after a couple of attacks i went into the red. i couldn't hold the wheel in front on the downhill tailwind straight, and got a bit swamped. i got back on, near the back of the field this time. from there on, i was yo-yoing a lot, losing wheels but riding my way back on by burying myself.

someone would attack, and i'd go deep into the red just to hold on. fortunately, the bunch always settled down, just as i was about to lose contact permanently. i held on until the last corner on the bell lap, when i just couldn't lift my pace and rolled in behind the bunch. pretty happy to hold on - took a lot of determination (for me) to convince myself to get back on every time. shows that you should never give up - no matter how much it hurts, make them ride away from you, don't allow yourself to fall away.

i will be back and stronger :twisted:

*C grade, but A and B grades were in the teams race, we just rode a normal race but they called us A, amusingly

lock_

Postby lock_ » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:36 am

As I was saying, first few races back always suck! Quick race for you guys too by the look of it; 38.6 vs the 40.4 we clocked in the teams race.

I also found the hardest part of the race was the downhill tailwind on the main straight. First lap kinda felt a bit weird; riding a crit clockwise, pfft. After that I was in the box so didn't really notice. Ended up finishing the race, and provided a marginal level of assistance to the team which is about all I was aiming for. We entered the race with a team of 8 (max 10), so without me we would have been 7.

As per usual, need to work on my positioning (and maintaining it). To much time alternating from the front to the back and it was always a hard push to the front up the back into the wind. Lot of this comes down to experience though, every time I step up a grade it takes a few races to figure out where I fit in.

Starting raining just as I was stepping into the car to drive home, was a good days racing.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:05 am

good stuff with finishing that race lock, would have been hard - i doubt the avg. speed reflects the anaerobic efforts. i don't always succeed, but i figure it's always best to ride as far front in the bunch as possible. it does take a bit of skill and judgment to not get caught out and flushed backwards, or in my case.. more fitness.

i hadn't thought about the clockwise thing. one lap i was digging in so hard to hang on around that sweeper at the end of the straight it suddenly struck me that i was leaned over a long way to be pedaling.. so i stopped (pealing). it does feel funny cornering that way.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:42 pm

Damn, you guys are going to hurt me when crit season starts again... Sounds like some good racing going on!
jules21 wrote:good stuff with finishing that race lock, would have been hard - i doubt the avg. speed reflects the anaerobic efforts. i don't always succeed, but i figure it's always best to ride as far front in the bunch as possible. it does take a bit of skill and judgment to not get caught out and flushed backwards, or in my case.. more fitness.
Agree! I always try to stay near the front, but not ON the front. Have to really pay attention to those coming around you and pick opportune times to move back up the pack as well. Otherwise, you find yourself out the back as everyone else moves up around you. The old mantra 'If you're not moving forward in the pack, you're moving backwards' springs to mind!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:10 pm

cerb wrote:Damn, you guys are going to hurt me when crit season starts again... Sounds like some good racing going on!
there's always racing going on.. form is fleeting though.

100km handicap road race tomorrow out at Broadford. the good news is i convinced the handicapper to put me off 2nd limit group. the bad news.. that's probably about right.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:18 pm

well that was good fun. a pretty easy first couple of laps (of 3 total for 99km total distance) as our group, off 21 minutes(!) rotated turns nicely. about half way through the 2nd lap we were caught by our chase group and things got more interesting. we kept working together as we were gradually caught by more groups and soaked up the limit group. i was still pulling a few turns here and there until with about 20 km to go the scratch group came through like a freight train. the bunch stayed together for a while, i was just hanging on, then lost contact up a steady rise - my legs had had enough.

amazingly, none of the scratch riders won, it's usually a formality for jimmy butler who i saw go past me - it was a bit blurry but i'm sure it was him. it seems a couple of other guys off 10 and 2 mins. took it out - didn't see them slip away, but then, i was in the nose bleed section..

a few more of these and i should be in good form again.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:40 am

So long as you didn't bleed to much Jules. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Kurrajong Classic, noob length (66km). Dropped my chain at the bottom of the first climb right at the start of the race and spent the rest of the time working with a group to get back to the main bunch. Finished within 30 seconds of them, pushed pretty hard and had a good time so not disappointed :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/356800955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:13 pm

Wel done Philip for his top 10 placing at kurrajong today. Certainly looking lean and strong!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:58 pm

MJRE at Kurrajong Classic today
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Waratah's jerseys look a lot better than they used to!!!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:04 pm

AndrewBurns at the top of hill lap 2. We tried to get away from our bunch, but they reeled us in.

philip

Postby philip » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Strawburger wrote:Wel done Philip for his top 10 placing at kurrajong today. Certainly looking lean and strong!
Thanks! It came down to a pretty crazy sprint. It was otherwise a fairly easy race really, a fair bit slower than last year. Last few kms were nuts, people all over the place, hard to believe there wasn't a crash. About 300m to go some guy in front of me just sat up, I had to hit the brakes and accelerate again, so that was it for my sprint really. Seriously frustrating when people who don't have a sprint get up there make it dangerous! A good day though, perfect conditions. Next year I'll give the real race a go I reckon :P, though 5 laps of that course is pretty daunting.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:57 pm

philip wrote:About 300m to go some guy in front of me just sat up, I had to hit the brakes and accelerate again, so that was it for my sprint really. Seriously frustrating when people who don't have a sprint get up there make it dangerous!
agreed. that is just plain stupid. i've seen it before, seen someone lose their temper over it. stay out of the way if you're not going to give it a go.

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Yes the new jerseys are good TLL, but they don't seem to be any faster unfortunately.

I dropped places both times up the hill, the second time losing contact with mike's group. I found a few other strays to ride home with and came in about 6 minutes down.

I also got the death wobbles the first time down the hill, which was a bit alarming at 82kmh. The second time around I stayed in the drops all the way down and tried to keep weight over the wheel, and it was ok.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:25 am

First race in nearly 2 months... Tough course as well... 18 laps / 80kms with a 400 meter draggy climb into a strong headwind and a more rolling power climb. Pace was pretty mild so I set off about 4 laps in, did a lap on my own but then the silliness started, A grade lapped my group and then sat in my wheel!. I was about 400m ahead of my group... Then they sort of rolled past me on the climb and I rolled past them and off on my own just after the finish line... So to the commissaries it looked like I was riding with them :-( . They obliged me to abandon my breakaway and sit up... Bit pee'd off after 5 laps on my own. But also no way I would have made it to the end as I was suffering!.
Anyway back to the group... Tried a couple more times to get away but was closely marked this time.
Got caught on the wrong side of a split and that was it.
Rolled a couple more laps then abandoned at the 70km mark when I ran out of fluids... No point killing myself.
Main thing that was obvious today is my form isn't what it was at this time last year... Simply I have been riding but the intensity and intervals haven't been done. Seriously think about skipping the TT's and just building for CX season!... Oh and maybe one race in Sydney if I can swing it :-) .

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:50 am

I blog about almost all of my races I should start sharing the love here (vomit):

http://crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au ... assic.html
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:26 pm

dirty deeds Open Cx race - finished 11/51! fun..

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:05 am

thearthurdog wrote:I blog about almost all of my races I should start sharing the love here (vomit):

http://crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au ... assic.html
Your comeback trail has been pretty impressive!

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:25 am

Cheers mate. It's been hard work but I have loved (almost) every minute of it.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:25 am

MREJ wrote:Yes the new jerseys are good TLL, but they don't seem to be any faster unfortunately.

I dropped places both times up the hill, the second time losing contact with mike's group. I found a few other strays to ride home with and came in about 6 minutes down.

I also got the death wobbles the first time down the hill, which was a bit alarming at 82kmh. The second time around I stayed in the drops all the way down and tried to keep weight over the wheel, and it was ok.
Appologies on the hill MREJ, the NSCC guys attacked with myself and Andrew on the hill. 6 of us tried to get away but we were reeled in.

Didn't realise we hit 80 on the downhill, I was on the front descending, perhaps it was quicker in the pack. Need to upload from the garmin