Race Report Thread

toolonglegs

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 04, 2015 4:12 pm

It was pretty tough but it was also one of those days you could of held onto a pro. Strong head Wind on the toughest climb made it easy to stay in contact and the wet roads for the first half kept cornering speeds down. I was right on the limit when we caught the 1/2 bunch ... but with the bunch doubling in size to 100 or so made the next 3 laps easier. They only managed to seperate us with 3 laps to go.
After that everyone knew it was going to be a bunch sprint, I just didn't have the legs to move up. I would have enjoyed it if my form and weight was better :lol:
Basically the issue is there are some really strong youngins who can drive it hard for 2 hours riding for team mates, as all the early season races are pretty flat they don't get away but also make break aways impossible. Once the hilly races start soon the will get the points in and move up a grade.
Saying that they should really be thinking of racing on a FFC license... but then they wouldn't be able to race with us. Complicated licensing/grading means a lot of really strong guys are happy to stay racing at a lower level than make the jump to FFC. FFC means "club" races are 120 kms and really tough... big commitment.

Anyway I only have one more race that I could nearly survive in before I head off for work... need some goals but life is getting in the way!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 06, 2015 8:54 am

Marconi 5/5 Dragway hotdog A grade

Average 44kmh over 59 minutes.

I wasn't warmed up, had no tubes so had to visit the LBS for a change, cranked the caffeine and proceeded to hang off the back for 30 minutes trying to work out how to conserve the legs as we sprinted off the end of the hotdog, hitting 800w as a minimum every lap. First three laps were trying to break the bunch at 47 average, and they very nearly did. I had seen the sting leaving the sprints and I was more confident of getting back on, and moved up a couple times to help out my team. I snuck off the front at the 40 minute mark with a big attack and smashed myself getting a 100m while a few joined the attack, but a couple TT guys I knew up front weren't interested. I was a bit demoralised seeing 315w NP knowing that I couldn't expect to stay in contact. Schoolboy error though - that was the power for the whole race, I missed hitting the lap button! I clearly felt good enough to go off the front but 20m is a long way when you're on the rivet already.

We held together for a bunch sprint, I picked up the scraps for a mid pack result and got a 40second power PB for my effort. No one from our club could sleep until midnight, so wired...

Learning points for me - I am going to have to sit in all race at the hotdog, I just don't have the snap to cope with the assault out of the hairpin. Need to find another gear, forcing the pedals down was really hard from a standing stand, but it was quite "easy" to hold the 50kmh required once I had reached 30+. Too much torque wears me out!
I have to learn to read the wheels better. It was a freakin' bunch sprint every single lap out of the south straight... I'm just not used to that. Still, good practice.

I survived the biggest, fastest night at Marconi this year. Wow.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed May 06, 2015 8:59 am

Job well done Leigh, I hope you enjoyed it :)

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Wed May 06, 2015 9:55 am

Nice work Xplora. No going back to B now!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 06, 2015 10:10 am

To be honest, I can see why you wouldn't. It is much much more intense in A, you'd be walking off the front in B if you were remotely competitive in A.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 06, 2015 3:02 pm

First time up in C-Grade at Marconi, and I picked a cracker of a night for it.
52 starters meant a change of plans (sort of). Right from the first roll it was on, and lead out by a guy from Penrith and four juniors(!!), I grabbed their wheels and the pace just kept going up. The juniors dropped back pretty early and it was me and a couple of other guys taking big turns up front for the first 3 laps. Massive crash behind us on Lap 2 on the home straight and was so glad to off the front at 1st wheel at the time! Pace was a blistering 48km/h into the headwind and I was running close to 90% HR without making a dent on the field.
I dropped back into the bunch for a rest and the pace stayed high, surging out of every corner, but regrouping at the 1st turn every time.
I spent 30min getting some excellent tactical mentoring by another NWSCC club member and we positioned for the sprint finish with me sitting on his wheel.
Coming out of the final turn I picked my position 100% Better than last week, but it was on like donkey kong in the sprint. I had some extra kick this week and topped out at just under 58km/h but was only good enough for a top 15 finish. I was too far down the bunch coming out the turn, but I overhauled a lot of other riders before the line.

Final avg speed for me in C Grade was 40.03km/h, a massive jump from D-Grade last week!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

zill

Postby zill » Wed May 06, 2015 7:44 pm

Xplora wrote:To be honest, I can see why you wouldn't. It is much much more intense in A, you'd be walking off the front in B if you were remotely competitive in A.
Xplora, how would you compare going from B to A to when you made the switch from C to B? Which is the bigger jump and by how much?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 07, 2015 12:50 am

Same jump. The promotion system of 3 wins and you're up works well to ensure that you must be able to win to succeed in the higher grade. I almost won my first B race solo, that was not happening in this race.

zill

Postby zill » Thu May 07, 2015 5:54 am

Xplora wrote:Same jump. The promotion system of 3 wins and you're up works well to ensure that you must be able to win to succeed in the higher grade. I almost won my first B race solo, that was not happening in this race.

Wouldn't that indicate that the jump from B to A is larger than the jump from C to B? Or were you more prepared when going from C to B?

vander

Postby vander » Thu May 07, 2015 8:57 am

Nice work X welcome to A grade. A grade west head next week?

rogan

Postby rogan » Thu May 07, 2015 11:42 am

vander wrote:Nice work X welcome to A grade. A grade west head next week?
:D

A grade in Marconi at Eastern Creek, is a different proposition to A grade at the Akuna West Head course...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 07, 2015 2:57 pm

LOL I am doing Endure for a Cure tomorrow, suspecting I will do more than 350kms for the day. Might even push out to the 400 if I have the legs and can ride straight... I'll be lucky to be riding by next Tuesday...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 07, 2015 3:29 pm

zill wrote:
Xplora wrote:Same jump. The promotion system of 3 wins and you're up works well to ensure that you must be able to win to succeed in the higher grade. I almost won my first B race solo, that was not happening in this race.

Wouldn't that indicate that the jump from B to A is larger than the jump from C to B? Or were you more prepared when going from C to B?
No. When you are putting the hurt into D, you can ride with C. When you are putting the hurt into C, you are ready for B. When you are putting the hurt into B, you are ready for A. When you are putting the hurt into A, you are ready for NRS/States/Nationals.

I was having to put a lot of work in every lap, but I was confident that I could get back on the back of the pack each time. I moved up a couple of times to show my clubmates I wasn't DNF. After 40 minutes, I moved up and I attacked, put a bit of distance into the bunch. Not much more you can do than that. I was attacking like that around 4-5 times in B grade on a good day. I did the same thing in C grade when I moved up. The jump was similar, you have to smash yourself. The extra 2-3kmh average is much much much harder to maintain, you need exponentially higher power to push through the wind.

vander

Postby vander » Thu May 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Xplora wrote:When you are putting the hurt into A, you are ready for NRS/States/Nationals.
I wouldnt be so sure. It really isnt that difficult to put the 'hurt into A' I know the guys doing the next level stuff and to do well there you need to be properly at another level.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 07, 2015 10:43 pm

You are ready is another way of saying you will be competitive. DNF ain't cool.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri May 08, 2015 11:07 am

vander wrote:
Xplora wrote:When you are putting the hurt into A, you are ready for NRS/States/Nationals.
I wouldnt be so sure. It really isnt that difficult to put the 'hurt into A' I know the guys doing the next level stuff and to do well there you need to be properly at another level.
There is such a lack of decent young riders in NSW that the smaller NRS teams are basically signing up anyone who is a) young b) interested c) available ... regardless of results or ability.
I know of several kids who are just average Club B graders who are now on NRS teams.
Its fairly easy to see that apart from maybe 5 or 6 NRS teams (Budget, Avanti etc) the rest are just making up the numbers and are not competitive.

skull

Postby skull » Fri May 08, 2015 11:31 am

Derny Driver wrote: There is such a lack of decent young riders in NSW that the smaller NRS teams are basically signing up anyone who is a) young b) interested c) available ... regardless of results or ability.
would 40 be young enough?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:38 am

Derny Driver wrote:There is such a lack of decent young riders in NSW that the smaller NRS teams are basically signing up anyone who is a) young b) interested c) available ... regardless of results or ability.
I know of several kids who are just average Club B graders who are now on NRS teams.
Its fairly easy to see that apart from maybe 5 or 6 NRS teams (Budget, Avanti etc) the rest are just making up the numbers and are not competitive.
i know a guy who races club A grade and reckons that some riders get into A grade (not NRS necessarily) by joining teams who are in A, and that they are just hanging on and generally 'useless'. cycling as a sport isn't really administered very tightly, it's pretty amateurish (obviously we're all amateurs, as distinct from amateurish).

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri May 08, 2015 1:01 pm

How does it work for you guys at club level? The races I do I can choose what grade I want to go in. If I do too well I might be forced into a higher grade, and if I am a danger to those in higher grades I might be forced to a lower grade, but generally I can sign up for what I want. I am probably a B grade rider, but I have ridden A and did OK. Perhaps without ongoing injury I could do well in A grade, but really when I have raced A I was not looking to win... just to push myself more and learn more. I was consistently top 5 in B and not learning much more as most races went a similar way. I would plan to be competitive eventually or I would go back to B, but I do see some value in giving higher grades a go even if you are not competitive.... yet! But I do agree that there is no point in doing a particular grade with no realistic chance to ever make an impact on the race... unless you just use it for general training to push yourself.

Do you consider yourself an X grade rider if you can stick with the bunch but never have a realistic chance of getting a good result in that grade?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:00 pm

it varies in how it works, Adrian. at my home club, I know the handicapper well and he will pretty much let me race any grade, well maybe not lower grades. other clubs take handicapping very seriously and I had to make a written case to go from D to C grade. i can't win either (in crits) but can stay in the bunch in both, in my sleep. i don't envy handicappers.. you can probably go insane trying to indulge everyone's preferences and unrealistic self-assessments.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri May 08, 2015 9:09 pm

A couple of comments:

First to Zill. This is the race report thread where you post your experience not leach other people with imbicilic comments.
Secondly, to X, you have no idea what happens in A grade. When you make that inevitable step, then you can comment, not speculate. And you are ready for that experience. When you get there I hope you realise there is so much less to brag about. That is the A grade experience - respect and humility.

zill

Postby zill » Fri May 08, 2015 9:26 pm

ft_critical wrote:A couple of comments:

First to Zill. This is the race report thread where you post your experience not leach other people with imbicilic comments.
Secondly, to X, you have no idea what happens in A grade. When you make that inevitable step, then you can comment, not speculate. And you are ready for that experience. When you get there I hope you realise there is so much less to brag about. That is the A grade experience - respect and humility.

I thought X was already racing in A and his recent reports reflected this.

I just had a question for X about racing in A followed by a question to clarify his response. Surely that kind of discussion is allowed? Or do you expect people to only post their race report followed by some words of encouragement from readers?

vander

Postby vander » Fri May 08, 2015 9:31 pm

Derny Driver wrote: There is such a lack of decent young riders in NSW that the smaller NRS teams are basically signing up anyone who is a) young b) interested c) available ... regardless of results or ability.
True but a bit harsh. A lot of those other teams are getting 1 or 2 riders per team that actually do make an impact. The NRS is a lot more open now then it was 4 or 5 years ago. No longer 2 or 3 riders dominating all year and Avanti cant just dictate like they used to. Times are changing but its not fast. The more of these up and coming teams the better. Now just to develop the NSW scene so it can prepare people for the NRS, would be good to have a NSW series, it is what is really needed.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 pm

zill wrote: Or do you expect people to only post their race report followed by some words of encouragement from readers?
Yes.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri May 08, 2015 10:40 pm

Racing A now, ft. My suspicions were confirmed. The jump is substantial. My comments about nationals etc are simply reflecting conversations I have had with a number of guys. In cycling, it is easy to bring a knife to a gun fight and get smashed. I don't think I would bother with state championship races because I can't perform at club level. And that was zill's question.