Race Report Thread

Chuck

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby Chuck » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:53 pm

vander wrote:Check out previous years I believe its been done a lot quicker thank 11:52 in the past, even I have done it (the strava climb) in 11:28 so I would say that is fairly slow if that was the fastest time. Silly to have it on the same weekend as Mudgee would have liked to have a crack.
Brodie Talbot did it in 9.29 a few years back....

http://www.macarthurcycling.com/images/ ... esults.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FPR Ragamuffin

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:06 pm

I haven't seen any results for today, only that a MCCC rider broke 11 minutes. (the MCCC TT was held separately, their results are separate. They definitely got up The hill quicker). I don't do many hills at all, my power meter alleges that I am 10% down on my power from 3 months ago, and I'm about 76kgs. Not a recipe for crazy climbing times. Either way, it's about the experience. Two of my kids are born in August and one of them was born last year. First time I have been able to attempt all the stages! Probably the best chance I will get this year to really sort out where I am at on a variety of courses.

Edit. Thanks Chuck, looks like I managed to sneak 11th overall today for the TOA event, just under 13 minutes. Woo hoo! :D 10 seconds behind Dalitz from Penrith who does most of his rides climbing 10kms up past Lapstone. :shock:

trek52

Postby trek52 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 am

queequeg wrote:TOA Stage 1 - Landsdowne - A Grade - Bunch Finish

With a bit of encouragement I decided to make my A Grade debut for NWSCC after getting promoted (or was it pushed?) from B Grade after a couple of strong wins. With some serious hill climbing training coming up for Fitz's in October, I want to dial back the racing to get some climbs onto my legs. But I digress...

A & B Grade got the lazy 10am start, so I cruised down to SOP to meet the LACC gang riding out to the venue. Important, as I didn't have a clue how to get there! It was a nice easy ride and I was all warmed up on arrival.

It felt a bit weird signing on for A grade....say what?? I only did my first ever race (in D Grade!) almost exactly 3 months ago, so I am hardly a "pro" at this. I stick out like a sore thumb on the start line

This is also my first time at Landsdowne, so I got in a quick lap to see what the circuit looked like. Quite nice as it turns out, and I love that fast twisty descent.

I quickly discovered that A Grade works a bit differently to the other grades. It is constant and sudden attacks followed by sedate sitting up before someone else makes an attack. I'm trying to keep my HR in check, and then my Garmin throws up a message..."Updating GPS software..."..Say What! I had that for 1.5 laps before I got my screen back...grrr

Anyway, nobody was all that interested in the early sprint, so the lone LACC rider who wanted it took off, grabbed the points and sat up. I think I was actually 4th in the sprint that wasn't.

I was getting a bit of coaching advice from some wiser riders in the bunch, mostly about holding lines and not doing too much work. Quite a bit of tactics at play that I am not used to (such as blocking moves up the inside/outside). I'm sure I'll pick this up pretty quickly.

The surging hurt, but I was able to bite the handlebars and stay with the bunch, having a few pulls at the front myself, and being that guy slowing everyone up before surging again.

The final lap was weird. Big attack half way around that got shut down pronto, then it was a leisurely cruise until nearing the last 300m. All I heard was "go go go!" and it was on (and I picked the spot pretty well and was not blocked in). I just grabbed what I thought was a fast wheel and powered on, coming over the line around 7th or 8th, a couple of bike lengths behind the winners.

My pre-race plan was to finish, so by that measure I exceeded my goal. My Strava data shows that I was actually working pretty hard. I hit 180bpm, my highest recorded heart rate so far. I don't have a power meter, so I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how I went in that regards. Oh, and I haven't shaved my legs.....yet lol

There will be no easy wins here, but I can at least say I am A Grade material. Just need some fine tuning and work on the tactics and get familiar with the other riders.

I am hoping to give West Head a crack next week (B Grade), then take a mini-break to do some hills. Tue night at the Dragway starts up again in September, and I'd love to see if I can hold on to the bunch there!

Hey Mate, you rode well. that was me talking to you in the race telling you to settle down, it will get hard later :) I was in red/black/white on a black focus. To be honest it was a pretty uneventful race, there were too many guys in there with equal ability so it was always going to be a bunch kick. The key is to go with the moves like I did, being a sprinter I wanted to be in the front group and not have to use energy chasing so for me i just pedal 10 strokes hard as an attack goes and go with it. Lot easier than chasing it for half a lap.
You rode well, you need to cut the work down a bit. In A grade going to the front will hurt nobody but yourself, in B grade you can hurt other guys but in A grade you are not going to hurt anyone by doing driving turns and trying to keep the pace up. Just go with the flow. You might have noticed I went to the front a bit when it was slow, that is the best thing to do as I controlled the pace so I could recover.
Overall the race was prob a 6/10 for an A grade race, they get a lot harder than that.

I won the kick pretty easy, backed off 100 out and only hit 1320w so had a fair bit up my sleeve if I needed it :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:16 am

trek52 wrote:
queequeg wrote:TOA Stage 1 - Landsdowne - A Grade - Bunch Finish

With a bit of encouragement I decided to make my A Grade debut for NWSCC after getting promoted (or was it pushed?) from B Grade after a couple of strong wins. With some serious hill climbing training coming up for Fitz's in October, I want to dial back the racing to get some climbs onto my legs. But I digress...

A & B Grade got the lazy 10am start, so I cruised down to SOP to meet the LACC gang riding out to the venue. Important, as I didn't have a clue how to get there! It was a nice easy ride and I was all warmed up on arrival.

It felt a bit weird signing on for A grade....say what?? I only did my first ever race (in D Grade!) almost exactly 3 months ago, so I am hardly a "pro" at this. I stick out like a sore thumb on the start line

This is also my first time at Landsdowne, so I got in a quick lap to see what the circuit looked like. Quite nice as it turns out, and I love that fast twisty descent.

I quickly discovered that A Grade works a bit differently to the other grades. It is constant and sudden attacks followed by sedate sitting up before someone else makes an attack. I'm trying to keep my HR in check, and then my Garmin throws up a message..."Updating GPS software..."..Say What! I had that for 1.5 laps before I got my screen back...grrr

Anyway, nobody was all that interested in the early sprint, so the lone LACC rider who wanted it took off, grabbed the points and sat up. I think I was actually 4th in the sprint that wasn't.

I was getting a bit of coaching advice from some wiser riders in the bunch, mostly about holding lines and not doing too much work. Quite a bit of tactics at play that I am not used to (such as blocking moves up the inside/outside). I'm sure I'll pick this up pretty quickly.

The surging hurt, but I was able to bite the handlebars and stay with the bunch, having a few pulls at the front myself, and being that guy slowing everyone up before surging again.

The final lap was weird. Big attack half way around that got shut down pronto, then it was a leisurely cruise until nearing the last 300m. All I heard was "go go go!" and it was on (and I picked the spot pretty well and was not blocked in). I just grabbed what I thought was a fast wheel and powered on, coming over the line around 7th or 8th, a couple of bike lengths behind the winners.

My pre-race plan was to finish, so by that measure I exceeded my goal. My Strava data shows that I was actually working pretty hard. I hit 180bpm, my highest recorded heart rate so far. I don't have a power meter, so I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how I went in that regards. Oh, and I haven't shaved my legs.....yet lol

There will be no easy wins here, but I can at least say I am A Grade material. Just need some fine tuning and work on the tactics and get familiar with the other riders.

I am hoping to give West Head a crack next week (B Grade), then take a mini-break to do some hills. Tue night at the Dragway starts up again in September, and I'd love to see if I can hold on to the bunch there!

Hey Mate, you rode well. that was me talking to you in the race telling you to settle down, it will get hard later :) I was in red/black/white on a black focus. To be honest it was a pretty uneventful race, there were too many guys in there with equal ability so it was always going to be a bunch kick. The key is to go with the moves like I did, being a sprinter I wanted to be in the front group and not have to use energy chasing so for me i just pedal 10 strokes hard as an attack goes and go with it. Lot easier than chasing it for half a lap.
You rode well, you need to cut the work down a bit. In A grade going to the front will hurt nobody but yourself, in B grade you can hurt other guys but in A grade you are not going to hurt anyone by doing driving turns and trying to keep the pace up. Just go with the flow. You might have noticed I went to the front a bit when it was slow, that is the best thing to do as I controlled the pace so I could recover.
Overall the race was prob a 6/10 for an A grade race, they get a lot harder than that.

I won the kick pretty easy, backed off 100 out and only hit 1320w so had a fair bit up my sleeve if I needed it :)
I didn't recognise you in all the kit lol. I didn't even know your surname until you took the win!
Thanks for the tips during the race. I wasn't working too hard when I was on the front thankfully, but I definitely need to use the bunch a lot more. In the last 5 or 6 Laps I was getting the hang of it and was able to read most of the attacks and respond to them, and when I got to the front I was really slowing it down too (which suited me perfectly fine!)

I'm going to have to work on the sprinting, but I was pretty happy to finish just behind you guys on my first time out. I felt pretty comfortable in the bunch, with the race being similar to the Sydney Road Titles with the constant attacks and surging. My body will get used to that, then I will see if I have what it takes to really contend a sprint finish, or whether I am more suited to being a breakaway rider. Once I know that I can be choosy about the types of races I do. For now it is just about getting experience and confidence.

Now, if I can slip a power meter past the CFO I'll be very happy. I'll have to go get an FTP test done and see where I sit. Strava claims I was 320w avg during the race.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

trek52

Postby trek52 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:26 am

320w is a bit high I ave 255w with a NP of 325w. You did a bit more on the front than me :)

If you need a hand anytime let me know. I can introduce you around, I know most of the a graders and if they know your with me they wont give you a hard time, haha.

Sprinting is another world again, the fact everyone in that race knew I would win a kick and then got behind me for the sprint is crazy. If I am doing 1500w at 65kmh how do they think they are going to get past !!! Always get in front, kick early, kick hard and hold on !!!!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:50 am

trek52 wrote:320w is a bit high I ave 255w with a NP of 325w. You did a bit more on the front than me :)

If you need a hand anytime let me know. I can introduce you around, I know most of the a graders and if they know your with me they wont give you a hard time, haha.

Sprinting is another world again, the fact everyone in that race knew I would win a kick and then got behind me for the sprint is crazy. If I am doing 1500w at 65kmh how do they think they are going to get past !!! Always get in front, kick early, kick hard and hold on !!!!
Ignorance is bliss. I didn't know anyone. I picked the wrong wheel to suck and you were long gone before I got some speed. I don't have a huge top end right now, but I can hold it for a few hundred metres.
I think Strava is only having a guess based on my HR and other stats, so take it with a grain of salt.

I probably won't be out racing again until September as I really need to get in lots of hills to prepare for Fitz's Epic. It would be good to know a few more of the regulars. No real chance to see familiar faces in the lower grades when you are only there for 2 races before getting promoted again!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:00 pm

Digging these race reports!

I find it interesting that up north there seems to be a lot of club team work, even in our interclub club series or there is little in the way of teams working together in A & B grade. Come to think of it even at bigger crits like SKCC there is none of that!

Queequeg, I know how you feel regarding the lack of experience having started in “B Grade” myself, done limited racing and close to getting bumped up to “A”; it’s daunting but all you can do is sit back and watch, learn and take advice when it’s given. I often get told I’m doing too much work on the front or committing to chasing down breaks too soon. It’s all learning!
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

TrickyRider

Postby TrickyRider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Xplora wrote: After recently demoting myself I figured I was going to do well in B. Unfortunately this was not the case. All my training has destroyed my ability to TT, even if I'm finding efforts a bit easier. We took off, and TrickyRider from LACC (above post) was up to his tricks again. I wanted to mark the moves, but Mat from MWCC was showing a very very strong hand. Second lap in, we equalled the fastest A grade lap, and I registered 330w NP. Welcome back to B grade hey? The laps were fairly steady but a few riders up front for LACC were just destroying themselves marking moves, taking turns while I did my best to suck some wheels and conserve for the attacks. I wanted to be in the mix for the 4th lap prim sprint but that wasn't to be. We rolled around and around, 18 laps of racing and 9 laps, 12 laps, I'm still feeling good but I'm shutting everything down. Everything. I felt like I was trying to be aggressive but I'm wondering if I was simply negative?

4 laps to go and I've had a few hard efforts up the hill to recover from. Mat suggests I have a crack, we've raced before and he knows I can lift but I've lost about 20w of TT since we last rode together and when I attack on the 2nd last lap (surely 8 minutes of power is OK?) I get some space but they are onto me. Our club kit sticks out a lot, and sitting up front all race is a good way to attract attention I guess :lol: I get picked up, and I try to find a wheel back down the hill. Things are getting a bit scrappy and I can't see any wheels to commit to, and I'm pretty much done and I am not a sprinter and I have some more excuses if you give me some time...

I'm annoyed at myself at what I see next. I have piked out, knowing that the sprint is 50m up the road, but then they bloody pull up 200m from the line wondering who will jump. If we were going to do track sprinting, let's go to the velodrome! :shock: The dude with the tree trunks shaped like legs won. Funnily enough. Leximack and I had a red hot crack, we stayed upright and we didn't die wondering.

Razorback TT tomorrow. I woke up from a 3 hour nap, I am wondering if it's worth the drive but I'll never know if I never go ;)
Yeah, frustrating day for me in a way, picked up 3rd but it was from dumb racing more than anything. The goal for the day was to get that Sprint prime, but missed it from trying to break everyone before we got there. After a couple of kicks to see if I could get a decent gap, I decided to try and go early up the steep part of the hill, but I was far too big of a gear and had the MWCC guy on my wheel and knew I'd just lead him out if I kept going, so sat up but didn't have enough to jump across to the wheel of the guy who got it.

After having destroyed myself for 4 laps for nothing, I sat in for a fair while until about 30mins in when my borderline ADD got the better of me. Sat up for a moment, rolled off to the side and slowly eased it up past the bunch until I had a small gap and then genuinely ramped it up. Looked back a bit disappointed to see one of my fellow club members doing the chasing - had a little chat to him later about "let the other clubs do the work, don't burn matches chasing me" after he had a little grizzle about not letting him know that I was doing it - he hasn't been racing for that long and it's first year in B grade - he's getting stronger but needs to work on his tactical nous.

Anyway, I kept an eye on the moves for the rest of the race, most of it spent sticking to the Manly guy like a bad rash. I contemplated opening the sprint early - again had too bigger gear going up the ramp and wasn't explosive enough to get a gap, so eased up. Had the guy who get second who jumped first and looked like he was going to win it while the LACC guy came past me to grab it on the line while I rolled in for 3rd.

To be honest though, while 3rd was good, it wasn't what I was aiming for and to be honest I just rode dumb - it's frustrating when you know you've got better race nous than that and you get over-excited and don't ride smart.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:22 pm

biker jk wrote:
That time was the second fastest but he is a C grader that climbs a lot. My point is that Xplora is in a higher grade but mustn't do much climbing.
You must be talking about me!

I wouldn't really say I climb a lot, a couple times a month on average. Was a bit surprised to be honest to get 2nd of LACC riders with only less than a year of semi serious riding. I'm also over 6ft and not that light for a cyclist (73ish).That said, it's not like the clubs best riders were there. Nice though to get a chance to do well after lots of poor results in crits.

And it should actually give me some confidence in crits to make some attacks knowing I'm capable of putting some time into the good sprinters whenever there are inclines!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Love the ToA talk. The variety of racing really helps some guys poke their head up and realize their potential, you just don't get hills in Sydney racing, although NWSCC will try to fix that.

I am honestly a bit frustrated by the lack of genuine Hill work near me, will be considering that when I have to move in the future. I am wondering if it is hampering my development. (of course it is)

The key to hurting sprinters is lots of work. They hit the final sprínt a lot fresher than you would think. Sending a man up the road, then forcing the sprinter to lead the chase will dull the sharpness of their kick. The strongest sprinters like Salas ans trek52 can cover those attacks and have a bit of pepper left over. Easy to resolve. Make the whole bunch force them to work. But that kind of cooperation just doesn't exist.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:20 pm

Raced the Robert Oatley Scratch Race in Mudgee at the weekend, I even picked up some $ which covered the entry fee.

Well organised race and great weather for winter. The wind picked up late morning for the second lap of the course which made it tough at the front end.

The hills weren't as steep as I had hoped, not tough enough to force the race much, with a headwind up one and a tailwind up the other it was easy to sit in and get an armchair ride up.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Xplora wrote:
The key to hurting sprinters is lots of work. They hit the final sprínt a lot fresher than you would think. Sending a man up the road, then forcing the sprinter to lead the chase will dull the sharpness of their kick. The strongest sprinters like Salas ans trek52 can cover those attacks and have a bit of pepper left over. Easy to resolve. Make the whole bunch force them to work. But that kind of cooperation just doesn't exist.
Yeah, never happens. There's always a dumb ar$e or two who chase everything.
Love how Trek is giving always all the tips.
Reminds me of something my old man used to say,
"I can tell you everything I know about racing, all the tricks in the book but you still wont be able to beat me"
:D

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:35 pm

@queequeg, time for you to RIP this old thread :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36258

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:47 pm

ft_critical wrote:@queequeg, time for you to RIP this old thread :

Lol, is that a dare? There's probably a few people who would say I was never a genuine D/C/B grade racer, but was always an A Grader who had just never raced before.

My actual starting point before my first ever race was about 60,000km of commuting and solo bike riding, and a smattering of social rides. I'd never even ridden in an organised bunch until I joined NWSCC in March this year and did the Novice ride for a few weeks.

I saw all the other guys in the weekly race reports from the dragway, so when my bonus came through I decided to "invest" in a new bike. Another milestone...first time I have ridden a CF bike. When I showed up for my first race that week on a brand new S5 with Aero helmet, I was getting calls of "Oh come on, there is no way you are D grade on that bike wearing that gear". My race licence was a printed receipt from earlier that week, I was that new!
I got told, "You place, you're going up to C". I came second and immediately got riders passing me saying "Welcome to C Grade" lol

So, maybe I should post the full story in that old thread and just stir things up ;-)

kirky92au

Postby kirky92au » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:47 pm

First race back at Kooragang this year and with fancy gauges and video to boot. Still working out the kinks of editing it all and there are a few problems but not to bad for a first effort.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:59 am

queequeg wrote:
ft_critical wrote:@queequeg, time for you to RIP this old thread :

"Oh come on,
You need a lot more exclamation points behind that phrase. The Governor cried that out in disbelief when I told him it was your first race! :lol:

That was a funny race too. First place beat queequeg in the sprint and has just been promoted to B, dragged kicking and screaming. Awesome sprinter. But I think you have both been genuine D graders to start with, who developed race legs quickly and an appreciation for what it takes for victory. Queequeg doesn't have the worst pain face in the photos but he is definitely up there. A happy soul behind a tortured grimace. :mrgreen:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:13 am

Xplora wrote:
queequeg wrote:
"Oh come on,
You need a lot more exclamation points behind that phrase. The Governor cried that out in disbelief when I told him it was your first race! :lol:

That was a funny race too. First place beat queequeg in the sprint and has just been promoted to B, dragged kicking and screaming. Awesome sprinter. But I think you have both been genuine D graders to start with, who developed race legs quickly and an appreciation for what it takes for victory. Queequeg doesn't have the worst pain face in the photos but he is definitely up there. A happy soul behind a tortured grimace. :mrgreen:
I think the other rider was able to
slip under the radar as he didn't have his NWSCC kit. I think he bagged D Grade 1st place 3 weeks in a row. I think he took them all in the sprint. He's got incredibly powerful legs, and so far I have only beaten him by making sure the bunch is 500m behind me over the line :-) Glad to hear he's up in B Grade now. How many wins did he bag in C Grade?

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:35 am

There are plenty of strong riders who start in too lower grade for their "strength", but have no experience so cannot respectfully put the higher grade riders at risk by starting racing in a high grade. In lower grades, a strong rider will trump racing experience every time... particularly if you can sprint. My first race was in C grade, and I had the strength to cover all the attacks and still have plenty in the tank to sprint for the win.... no great tactics... just go with anyone who attacked at any point in the race. That would not work if I was in the correct grade for my riding strength.

The next week I did the same in B grade but got pipped on the line by about an inch and got 2nd. I probably could have stayed with the bunch in A grade in my first race, but I would have been yelled at as I learned the ropes and may have done something stupid and got someone hurt.

Anyway, my point is that there is a difference between someone who is D grade fitness and increases their fitness to A grade fitness in a year, and someone who is A grade fitness and starts racing in D grade to get some experience.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:49 am

vosadrian wrote:There are plenty of strong riders who start in too lower grade for their "strength", but have no experience so cannot respectfully put the higher grade riders at risk by starting racing in a high grade. In lower grades, a strong rider will trump racing experience every time... particularly if you can sprint. My first race was in C grade, and I had the strength to cover all the attacks and still have plenty in the tank to sprint for the win.... no great tactics... just go with anyone who attacked at any point in the race. That would not work if I was in the correct grade for my riding strength.

The next week I did the same in B grade but got pipped on the line by about an inch and got 2nd. I probably could have stayed with the bunch in A grade in my first race, but I would have been yelled at as I learned the ropes and may have done something stupid and got someone hurt.

Anyway, my point is that there is a difference between someone who is D grade fitness and increases their fitness to A grade fitness in a year, and someone who is A grade fitness and starts racing in D grade to get some experience.
Yep, pretty much describes my experience. I have placed twice in a bunch sprint (one club race, one open event). I have placed 3rd and 1st in a breakaway, and taken 1st twice with massive solo breaks lasting more than half the race. My first time with B I did a late solo break and only got caught about 40m from the line.

I am now pretty comfortable riding close quarters in a race bunch. I could not have started higher than D as I would have brought the bunch down doing something silly, so I have progressed at a decent pace, but not ahead of my ability.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:58 am

I had a few "moments" in my first few races. Just distracted by other goings on and overlapping wheels or drifting off my line in a corner. Racing is different to road bunch rides even in larger bunches. I would not recommend even the strongest rider with lots of road bunch experience starting any higher than C grade.

My racing career lasted about 6 months starting in late 2013. In that time I still had periods of several months without racing due to family commitments, so I think I may have only done about 10 races or so. I was happy with results and made it to A grade where I was happy with how I went. I basically promoted myself whenever I got a win. I hope to get back late this year if luck goes my way for a change.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 am

Marconi knew everyone's club, but having a flash bike and a powerful warm up will attract attention. :lol: The other rider in question also can barely hold the wheel in the pack, much less fitness than you. He has been pushed up as fast as required. I don't think he has taken less than 1st in club races if he gets the cash. That said, I have only taken 2nd once as well for memory. First race in D. Really should start conserving for the finish. 8)

Big thing about queequeg's rise is he has been doing some really really hard racing in the 3 months since starting. Sure he has a great base, but the icing was not on the cake yet. He has been helped by clubmates to hold big breaks, but has ridden like a man possessed out once out there. No one - without exception - has ridden as hard as him, and he is reaping the rewards of that effort. My only hope is he can continue to develop and stays hungry, because the wins are harder to come by in A.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:17 pm

Xplora wrote:Marconi knew everyone's club, but having a flash bike and a powerful warm up will attract attention. :lol: The other rider in question also can barely hold the wheel in the pack, much less fitness than you. He has been pushed up as fast as required. I don't think he has taken less than 1st in club races if he gets the cash. That said, I have only taken 2nd once as well for memory. First race in D. Really should start conserving for the finish. 8)

Big thing about queequeg's rise is he has been doing some really really hard racing in the 3 months since starting. Sure he has a great base, but the icing was not on the cake yet. He has been helped by clubmates to hold big breaks, but has ridden like a man possessed out once out there. No one - without exception - has ridden as hard as him, and he is reaping the rewards of that effort. My only hope is he can continue to develop and stays hungry, because the wins are harder to come by in A.
Thanks for the kind words. My Riding style is best describes as "Go Hard or Go Home". $15 to ride around in
circles for an hour, followed by a bunch sprint? Err, no thanks. If you can walk after the race you didn't work hard enough!
I totally annihilated myself at the Cervelo Masters Round 2 at HEZ. 3 Lap
solo break in awful windy conditions, very nearly paid off but the wind on the last lap knocked 10km/h off my speed and I was struggling to hold 27km/h.

Classic moment for me was Paul Craft calling me a dead duck off the back of B Grade, not realising I was actually 800m off the front of C until I pointed it out on the return past the start Line. I had no qualms putting myself deep into the Hurtbox and I have no regrets over giving it a crack, even if I was caught 500m from the finish line.
Extra hilarious moment was commuting home that week and I found a lost looking Paul Craft trying to get home. Turns out he lives nearby and his kids go to the sane school as mine, and he teaches at the local high school. Had a great chat about all things cycling, NWSCC, and my bright orange socks that provided so much comedy value at the race.

A Grade is going to be tough, but no pain no gain. Eddie Salas better be watching ;-)

Arty

Postby Arty » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:10 pm

queequeg wrote: A Grade is going to be tough, but no pain no gain. Eddie Salas better be watching ;-)
Haha best of luck, if you manage to get the wool over Eddie (AT) +50 years old, just remember his mate Milostic is probably on your wheel ready to remind you what pain is all about
A grade's a different beast.. quadzy can confirm that

zill

Postby zill » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:31 pm

queequeg wrote: My actual starting point before my first ever race was about 60,000km
How many years of consistent riding is that?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Arty wrote:
queequeg wrote: A Grade is going to be tough, but no pain no gain. Eddie Salas better be watching ;-)
Haha best of luck, if you manage to get the wool over Eddie (AT) +50 years old, just remember his mate Milostic is probably on your wheel ready to remind you what pain is all about
A grade's a different beast.. quadzy can confirm that
Yep, one of the guys at work told me a while ago about the Salas/Milostic Double Team. Milostic is in my age group part of the time, but thankfully he raced elite at the road titles. Eddie is two age groups above me so I won't have to worry about him there. But yes, If I race A Grade at Penrith there will be no free lunches. Doesn't worry me so much. Just to Finish a race with those guys present would be awesome!
If I was hung up about getting race results, I would have done it 20 years ago. It's just a hobby now.