Race Report Thread

twizzle

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby twizzle » Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 pm

mrgolf wrote:Talking of which, I think Christophe will be joining our bunch in the not too distant future.

Twiz, what was the winning a grade time last time?
1:15:11. Ian Downing. I thought Brendan was closer, guess I was wrong.

As for Christophe... oh, struggling so hard on all those hills, not riding well... I think that's the last two races I've done with him. Just before he attacks and gets a top result. :roll:

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun May 05, 2013 9:17 pm

This race must have been shorter.

I wouldnt mind it if it was about 10-20km longer. Maybe a trip out to (or up) Fitz as well...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun May 05, 2013 9:20 pm

mrgolf wrote:This race must have been shorter.

I wouldnt mind it if it was about 10-20km longer. Maybe a trip out to (or up) Fitz as well...
You are going to love Orroal Valley

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun May 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Orroral is a bit up and down, though. No outright climb and no hilltop finish, right?

As a matter of fact, how many hilltops have we got in Vets? I think we need more... 8)

I will be at Orroral, though. A friend is coming down from Sydney to check out Canberra as a possible place to live. He is hoping to race with us.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 06, 2013 4:24 am

Wake up call today :-( ... Got well and truly spanked... Lost 1 minute in a 7.5km TT and only came 11th out of 33. Suppose I can put a few seconds down to not having a proper tt bike... But the other 50secs are down to not enough proper riding ( ok 800km driving yesterday probably didn't help a lot either! )
Short road race (50km or so due to ambulance being on the course for 45minutes with a crash in Cat 4).Good course for me, totally flat and windy... But even though I sat in most of the race, come sprint time I hit 55 and legs just wouldn't spin any faster :-( .
Like I said on strava... Time to pull the finger out!

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:19 am

mrgolf wrote:Orroral is a bit up and down, though. No outright climb and no hilltop finish, right?

As a matter of fact, how many hilltops have we got in Vets? I think we need more... 8)

I will be at Orroral, though. A friend is coming down from Sydney to check out Canberra as a possible place to live. He is hoping to race with us.
Orroral has alot of short sharp climbs with little respite in between.

Makes for a interesting race.

As for summit finishes we only have two.
Honeysuckle and the Mt Mcdonald TT.

They are logistically difficult and as ypu saw from yhe the numbers almost as unpopular as TTs.

But feel free to add you input to to the upcoming survey.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

filip

Postby filip » Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 am

4/5/13 Calga B Grade 50km

Big field and nice weather. The pace was quick from the start but settled down after everyone realised that at Calga the hills keep on coming. First lap was uneventful, and the beginning of the second lap was slow over the first hill. Everyone was anticipating and preparing for the move which would eventually come. We didn’t have to wait too long, and when the move came it was on for young and old. The pack splintered and it took me a big effort to make contact again with the first group. In the meantime 2 guys were off at the front. On the way back the wind had picked up and was absolutely belting us around. The breakaway stayed out there for most of the time, and only got caught past blood hill. As usual, the bunch broke up on Blood, and i was around 15m behind the leading group. It all came back together and we prepared for the sprint. There was a touch of wheels and we were very lucky to escape a nasty crash. A north Sydney rider took out the sprint.

Good racing

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon May 06, 2013 10:03 am

mrgolf wrote:Talking of which, I think Christophe will be joining our bunch in the not too distant future.
I don't really understand why he wasn't already promoted after winning OFH race.
I got bumped from C to B a while back without even winning a race...not sure how the handicapping works...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 06, 2013 10:49 am

Ross wrote:
I don't really understand why he wasn't already promoted after winning OFH race.
I got bumped from C to B a while back without even winning a race...not sure how the handicapping works...
And he probably would have won Gunning if he'd done well in the prologue.

Oi, Jordan. :P

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 06, 2013 11:08 am

toolonglegs wrote:Wake up call today :-( ... Got well and truly spanked... Lost 1 minute in a 7.5km TT and only came 11th out of 33. Suppose I can put a few seconds down to not having a proper tt bike... But the other 50secs are down to not enough proper riding ( ok 800km driving yesterday probably didn't help a lot either! )
Short road race (50km or so due to ambulance being on the course for 45minutes with a crash in Cat 4).Good course for me, totally flat and windy... But even though I sat in most of the race, come sprint time I hit 55 and legs just wouldn't spin any faster :-( .
Yes! It's not just me. :mrgreen:
Ya big lug, if it was flat, you should have gotten a gap then driven it like a TT! Or gone reeeally early and burnt the sprinters out. My best ever "sprint" finish, I went ~ 400m before the line, only two riders stayed with me. And it's never happened again!
And I only peak at around 53kph in a sprint, even on a good day.

lock_

Postby lock_ » Mon May 06, 2013 11:15 am

4/5/2013 Northern Combine, Italo-Australian Cycling Club Trophy Race, B Grade, 90km

Didn't want to just do nothing the whole race so went off the front early. Caught the two guys who had already got away, and sat on to get the HR down a little. By the time I'd finished pulling my first turn the peloton was already making ground. Break was closed down after a km or two. Drifted slowly back through the bunch trying to find somewhere to hide from the wind.

Crosswind was brutal, and then the hammer went down. 50km/h on the flat, strung out single file, everyone riding straight down the center line. Wasn't so much a matter of if but when I'd drop off, luckily things eased up. The second (of three) laps was pretty cruisy after that, in fact one group of dropped riders managed to get back on. Took this opportunity to eat a gel, not that it was going to help. HR was well under control, unfortunately the legs were well done by the third lap. Was secretly hoping the last few kms of the race, with a few little bumps (was a pretty flat circuit), would break things up a bit. This didn't happen, found myself at the back of 40 riders well spread across the road with only a few kms to go and no way through. Finished the race rather comfortably sitting on the back of the bunch.

Free BBQ after the race, this made me very happy.

Thought I saw Jules on corner marshal duty? But weren't you down to race...

Northern Combine goes back to the old crit circuit we raced all summer this Sat. Only difference this time around is that it'll be with a much stronger field.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 am

mrgolf wrote:This race must have been shorter.

I didn't race it in 2012, but in 2011 the course was ~ 3km longer.

My time for the climb on Sat was one second faster than I did it in 2011. I managed to hammer the hill a lot harder two years (and 9kg) ago, HR was in the low 170's vs mid 160's on Sat, and avg power was ~ 30W higher... but that's before my back took a turn for the worse. :evil:

Yass should be better - flatter course, not too many hills, and it's a loooong course.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Flatter? abooooooooring! Actually more interesting tactically. Is it similar to gunning? Not sure if I can make it next week, though. Leave passes may be tight.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 pm

mrgolf wrote:Flatter? abooooooooring! Actually more interesting tactically. Is it similar to gunning? Not sure if I can make it next week, though. Leave passes may be tight.
Long hill to climb near the start on the way out, might be the point a break goes if they are adventurous and strong. A shorter/steeper on the way back before hitting the long hill down on the way back (60+ speeds just coasting), but everyone will be shagged by then.

Note : no-one has ever raced this course, I've ridden it as a guinea-pig from when they first proposed it. It's more like the AG Gran Fondo rather than Gunning. I cruised it and still burnt around 2200 Cal, I only burnt 1400 last Saturday.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 06, 2013 3:11 pm

twizzle wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Wake up call today :-( ... Got well and truly spanked... Lost 1 minute in a 7.5km TT and only came 11th out of 33. Suppose I can put a few seconds down to not having a proper tt bike... But the other 50secs are down to not enough proper riding ( ok 800km driving yesterday probably didn't help a lot either! )
Yes! It's not just me. :mrgreen:
Ya big lug, if it was flat, you should have gotten a gap then driven it like a TT! Or gone reeeally early and burnt the sprinters out. My best ever "sprint" finish, I went ~ 400m before the line, only two riders stayed with me. And it's never happened again!
And I only peak at around 53kph in a sprint, even on a good day.
Last Year i could of attacked off the front or waited for the sprint and smashed it... This year I am B grade pack fodder lol.
Lot less k's and a lot more kg's if you know what I mean!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 06, 2013 3:43 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Last Year i could of attacked off the front or waited for the sprint and smashed it... This year I am B grade pack fodder lol.
Sad, isn't it?

Youth is wasted on the youth. If only we could have that time again. :|

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Mon May 06, 2013 3:55 pm

twizzle wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Last Year i could of attacked off the front or waited for the sprint and smashed it... This year I am B grade pack fodder lol.
Sad, isn't it?

your comment twizzle is so so true!
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 06, 2013 4:17 pm

ni78ck wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Sad, isn't it?

your comment twizzle is so so true!
AND I'M ONLY 44!

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon May 06, 2013 8:51 pm

jcjordan wrote:
mrgolf wrote:Orroral is a bit up and down, though. No outright climb and no hilltop finish, right?

They are logistically difficult and as ypu saw from yhe the numbers almost as unpopular as TTs.

I am overjoyed at this announcement that you have moved the finish at Gunning. I always thought that the bridge would be a better spot. :D

Cheers,

Cameron

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 pm

ROFL. And same for the prologue as well then?

Sent from my iThingy...

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm

jcjordan wrote:

I am only half serious. Of course I would like more hilltops, but I understand why there arent more. Just stirring the pot and teasing the sprinters. Fact is, racing is fun.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 pm

twizzle wrote:
mrgolf wrote:Flatter? abooooooooring! Actually more interesting tactically. Is it similar to gunning? Not sure if I can make it next week, though. Leave passes may be tight.
Long hill to climb near the start on the way out, might be the point a break goes if they are adventurous and strong. A shorter/steeper on the way back before hitting the long hill down on the way back (60+ speeds just coasting), but everyone will be shagged by then.

Note : no-one has ever raced this course, I've ridden it as a guinea-pig from when they first proposed it. It's more like the AG Gran Fondo rather than Gunning. I cruised it and still burnt around 2200 Cal, I only burnt 1400 last Saturday.
I am really looking forward to racing on this course, particularly the long descent. I may be need it to chase back on.

Cheers,

Cameron

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 06, 2013 9:15 pm

twizzle wrote: And there were three wheel failures of people riding down the hill from registration to start the race : one melted carbon from braking, one tube exploded and another popped a spoke!
Just read the race report. Make that five on the descent. One melted carbon rim, one broken spoke, three tube explosions!!! I'm amazed no-one crashed, I was certainly scared coming down that road - steepest section is 18%, but lots over 10%.

Sent from my iThingy...

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon May 06, 2013 9:52 pm

filip wrote:4/5/13 Calga B Grade 50km
Hey filip, what's the race schedule for Calga - I can't see anything on the CCCC website and there's only a mention of the first race last month on the Facebook page. I'd like to come and give this one a go.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue May 07, 2013 6:47 am

Is that Calga the one just north of Sydney? If so I didn't know they raced there, just TT
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?