Race Report Thread

ft_critical

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby ft_critical » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:17 pm

60 riders, 25kmh wind, clear. I had written the race numbers of the TT, Sprint and general favourites on my fingers. On my thumb I had written my race plan: ‘UP,’ in capitals.

‘Up,’ was move up, stay up-front. As a result of executing this, I have no idea where the 30 DNF riders went, nor when it was that they exited. That is half the field DNF. 30 people who thought they were good enough to ride 96km at the State Masters level. 30 disappointed, incorrect people. This surprises me as I would say I was never in difficulty. I felt challenged twice, where I knew I would. My legs felt tired on the run into the final. But I was never in trouble.
I schnivelled a little and worked a very little. I joined two moves, I bridged dangerous gaps. I burnt one match at 183bpm well before I wanted to. But, overall, I executed ‘UP.’

My middle finger was the ‘TT finger’ for breakaway riders to watch and on it was #21s from Bathurst. He was in beautiful kit. Minimalist white with a small orange and black stripe where a pocket might be. Black knicks and an all-black bike. He tried and failed to get away many times. I even shut him down myself. #20z the sprinter, made a surprise appearance on my middle finger after his win in the TT, again sporting Chippo’s glasses and a very good approximation of oiled, Italian sunned, calves. Chippo only made one break attempt I think; joined by TypoonSprint (from the sprinters finger,) dangling off the front aimlessly in the run to the finish. #23t (from Canberra;) the unsociable, giant who relentlessly pushed himself alone off the front. No attacks, just powering away on the climbs for a while, getting caught and going again. #22b (from the sprinters finger,) he attacked for 20m, attacked for 50m, attacked for 30m and so on. All day he attacked and talked. Attacked and talked. ‘If you do that your bars will tangle.’ ‘Ride your line, stop moving all over the place.’ Admittedly this was to #20f Mr DangerFidget. #20f: every time he was beside or ahead of me, I moved up. #24g from Illawarra, stayed away for nearly a lap. Brave, strong, fruitless when you come 30th.

It is a numbers game, racing.
• 60 started 30 finished.
• 3 breaks, 0 successful this year.
• Last year 1 break in the nationals, 1 successful.
• 30 attacks. 0 successful.
• Gamble for the sprint? No gaps, no glory.
• Where are the best odds? Getting in the small break. Get 4-6 motivated guys together and they can stay away. But it is luck that you are in that crew. How many matches can you afford to burn to make sure you're in the right break? 5, 10?

This year the shut down’s weren’t organised. But the bunch was aggressive. Often people talk of negative racing. It didn’t feel negative; more positively brutal. Attack. Attack to break, attack to bridge, attack to close. Attack, attack, attack. So each attack chipped away at anyone up the road. It was going to be a sprint. It had been hard but not hard enough that 20 riders didn’t fancy their chances for a gallop at the end, while 10 more had managed to hold on to finish.

Me, I had the legs. I was better than where I placed - 9th. I was right in the sprint epicentre with TypoonSprint and DarkSprint and Chippo. But there was no way out of the condom of non-sprinters fitted to the head of the race as we hit 200m to go. I didn’t sprint. Impotently I stood and waited and weaved and suddenly I was over the line. 44kmh, 160bpm. ‘Not sprinting,’ that is called. It always opens out in the last 200, I kept telling myself as I searched for a gap. It never did.

‘be, bah, be, bah.’ An ambulance. Who likes being passed by an Ambulance mid race? It was for M6. I heard afterwards it was a touch of wheels, two down, the trailing rider launched – concussion, broken collar bone, cracked pelvis and severe grazing. That was a 65kmh section. He looked bad lying on the bitumen, on his back, shirt open with the paramedics crowding around him.

GUNning, sounds like a good place for a race though.
Last edited by ft_critical on Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philip

Postby philip » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:25 pm

ft_critical wrote:But there was no way out of the condom of non-sprinters fitted to the head of the race
:lol: :lol: :lol: yet another awesome report ft. Nice result, pity you didn't get to open up though.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:16 pm

FT ... gold as usual! ... were you in the same grade as Mike?.

Me... saturday night I was thinking maybe I should skip it, Friday's 90km's was still in my legs, my hips were sore... and there was thunder storms galore out the window, the forecast for Sunday morning was supposed to be much worse!.
But Sunday morning I awoke and thought why not, it had rained heavily all night but it wasn't raining when I looked out the window, plus the fact that I actually enjoy racing in crap weather!. No prep, chucked a few things in a bag and was out the door by 7.
Start line was rather bare, usually there would be 200 plus waiting for the 8.45 kick off but there was only 100. Still no rain, off we went on damp roads. First 13 kms is flat, last year there was huge crash at 6O kmph plus... this year we sat behind the control car for much longer and once we were let go it was a lot more sedate.
We hit the first climb hard, my plan was to say good by to the front and climb at my on pace... too many fast guns here for me to even kid myself, I only wanted a good result in my age group. Turned out this was my big error!.
I should of buried myself a bit harder on the first section ( 26 kms of constant climbing with a few flat bits and down hills ... 900m of climbing ) . The group I ended up in wasn't organized or fast. Basically 14 kms of slight descent followed the climb ... last year we rode this section at 42 km av, this year only 39. Couldn't see any other groups to jump across to in the distance. So I just sat in until we got a rolling pace line organized. DIdn't bury myself as the Col des Portes was still to come. But on the proper downhill about 7kms long and over -6% I went away with two others. I am not very cautious descending and neither were they... bugger the wet roads. By the bottom turn we had close to 800m gap on the rest of the group. One guy decided he like the 2 km gravel section and buried himself. I just sat in 3rd wheel wondering if he knew what was coming up!. When we hit the climb he exploded straight away, so off I went with my new friend.
The climb starts with 8kms at over 6% ...paced myself on the other guys wheel for half the distance and then took over the front. Nearly 2 minutes quicker than last year. We clawed back a few placings on the way up but never saw any groups. A slight downhill section for a few hundred meters or so then back in to. 1.5kms hard up with some very steep sections and over the top... geez that was easier than I thought!.
Ended up going over the summit in a little bunch of 6, but we went straight into the 13 km descent, the first 2kms in very heavy cloud / fog. I know these roads well and only came out of the fog with the same guy I climbed up with. Kept a nice 53km av on the descent even though the roads were still rather wet. Caught two more guys just before the bottom so hit the flats in a group of 4. But only two of us worked into the head wind.
Into the last 6km climb... no one wanted to work and there was a group of 3 about 500m up the road. So I went to work closing that. Didn't look back. Of course once the gap was closed my friend attacked and no one responded. By the top he had about 400m on us. Just before the top I upped the speed and hit the descent à bloc. Managed to keep it over 65 the whole way although the rear has skipping a bit on a few corners... distanced for good the rest of my group.
The finish line is only 1 km from the bottom... and I totally stuffed it up. A moto got in the way on a big speed hump just as I caught my friend... I should of hit it at full speed and make him chase for my wheel but in the end it was all to easy. My legs were cooked and he rolled me in the sprint... grrr :lol: .
Same time as last year...but the groups were small and certainly did the main climb much quicker, less than 3 minutes slower over 40 minutes compared to some pretty good guys according to strava.... Pretty happy that I dragged myself out of bed and stayed dry the whole race :-) .
24th overall and 5th for my age group ... mopped up everyone I could, still finish 10 minutes down on the over all ... next year!.
100km, 29.83 av, 1900m climbing.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:26 pm

loving these reports! i'm hoping for a more positive one in the Tour of Midlands in a couple of weeks. not visiting the ED would be a good start..

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:32 pm

So did anyone read Smurf's reports from riding the Vuelta with a broken rib?

Cheers,

Cameron

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Yeah, liked Fabs comments lol

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:41 pm

ft_critical wrote:#23t (from Canberra;) the unsociable, giant who relentlessly pushed himself alone off the front.
Bit of a weapon, isn't he? You should see him on steep climbs.
I see Sean If. from Vikings (and ACTVets) finished well. He spent a summer crit season schnivelling off me in B grade taking all the wins, finally moving up to A and immediately being in the top five. But I also see Paul An., DNF'ed - big surprise, he's a bloody strong rider and a nice bloke as well, beats me convincingly in TT's and can climb and sprint as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:00 am

ft_critical wrote:

‘be, bah, be, bah.’ An ambulance. Who likes being passed by an Ambulance mid race? It was for M6. I heard afterwards it was a touch of wheels, two down, the trailing rider launched – concussion, broken collar bone, cracked pelvis and severe grazing. That was a 65kmh section. He looked bad lying on the bitumen, on his back, shirt open with the paramedics crowding around him.
I heard he was airlifted to hospital.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:05 am

toolonglegs wrote:FT ... gold as usual! ... were you in the same grade as Mike?.
Sounds like the masters3 race. From all reports it was Brutal! Well done.

Mike was in the masters5, I was in masters2.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:33 pm

twizzle wrote:
ft_critical wrote:#23t (from Canberra;) the unsociable, giant who relentlessly pushed himself alone off the front.
Bit of a weapon, isn't he? You should see him on steep climbs.
I see Sean If. from Vikings (and ACTVets) finished well. He spent a summer crit season schnivelling off me in B grade taking all the wins, finally moving up to A and immediately being in the top five. But I also see Paul An., DNF'ed - big surprise, he's a bloody strong rider and a nice bloke as well, beats me convincingly in TT's and can climb and sprint as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Yes a weapon.

I was surprised by the quality of some of the riders who DNF'd

I guess you have to bring your A game to these types of races?

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:06 pm

Strawburger wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:FT ... gold as usual! ... were you in the same grade as Mike?.
Sounds like the masters3 race. From all reports it was Brutal! Well done.

Mike was in the masters5, I was in masters2.
I was in masters 2 as well, What did you think of the racing, did you have a crack at the sprint?
I spotted mike just before the start but didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:25 pm

ft_critical wrote:I guess you have to bring your A game to these types of races?
Maybe - I had assumed that the course was a double Gunning-Bredalbane, but it looks like the course was repeats over the Cullerin ranges? It's still a relatively "flat" course, although I hate anything that forces my cadence to drop below 80. :roll:
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Aussiebullet wrote:
Strawburger wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:
I was in masters 2 as well, What did you think of the racing, did you have a crack at the sprint?
I spotted mike just before the start but didn't get a chance to introduce myself.
The racing was faster than last year for sure. Milostic was relentless in that last lap!

Didn't have a great position in the sprint. ended up passing about 10 riders by riding at my slightly elevated speed I call a sprint (passing those that popped early). Can I assume you got 5th?
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Strawburger wrote:
The racing was faster than last year for sure. Milostic was relentless in that last lap!

Didn't have a great position in the sprint. ended up passing about 10 riders by riding at my slightly elevated speed I call a sprint (passing those that popped early). Can I assume you got 5th?

Yep 5th, by the time I found a gap to squeeze through for the sprint there was a lot of people up the road, reeled in what I thought was the the front of the race but then realised there was still 2 further up the road that must have been in a late break, props to them as I didn't have the legs to attempt that.

That last lap! had me in difficulty 2 or 3 times, mentally I had thrown the towel in and was convinced my race was over then in the last ~5km there was a lul in the pace and I came good but not good enough. All in all a great course and hard race, I had a ball.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Strawburger wrote:The racing was faster than last year for sure. Milostic was relentless in that last lap!
I used to tango with Milostic back in the day. He goes alright...
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Peter Milostic lapped the field to win the M2 crit race on the Saturday, solo!

On Sunday, I saw him putting the hurt coming back through the ranges as my bunch went by in the other direction, but then at the end, he had surprisingly fallen back a bit. It looked like he'd had a mechanical, as he went straight over to the side of the road, gesturing about something on his bike.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Vets Iron Mike handicap - A view from A1

55kms, 990m. G grade had a 40 min start with F at 31, E at 23:30, D at 17, C at 11, B2 and B1 at 7 and 5 respectively, A2 at 2.

I needed a quick wee with 5 minutes to go, so I quickly raced a bit over a kilometre to Stromlo Forest Park and raced back only to see the other 2 A1's lining up on the start. Returned with just enough time to set the Garmin and we were off. Not a good way to start. Then, I couldnt clip in in time so had to chase down the other two riders with a 20-30m gap. Doh. Once on, we worked really hard together (harder than I thought we would) over the first 10 or so kms to the river crossing before the steep but short climb up the the Uriarra false flat. We took it fairly easy coming up so as not to tear the working group apart, but it was clear things were going to split up shortly afterwards. Once on the false flat at about 15km, the first popped off and we eased up thinking he had had a mechanical. Then when the blowtorch was re-apllied, he fell back again, so we pushed on. The two of us took about 3 turns each and then, as I came through for a turn, the other guy said "thats it. Thats my legs. Im gone." So I was on my own with A2 about 2-300m up the road but in sight.

I caught them before long and got within 50m of the front runners up Blue Range before they eked out their advantage on the descent again. Crossing the creek with about 5kms to go to the turnaround, the leaders passed me going the other way. It was going to be a hard task. Up the Condor Ck climb, I reeled the rest of A2 in and we turned for the return leg together. They are big guys who I knew would work hard on the descents and flats on the way back and that outrunning them would be a waste of energy and a futile exercise, so I worked with them to the crossing with about 10km to go and saved a little of my legs for the long undulating climb up to the finish. My legs were already screaming.

Once we hit the first big climb, the three sisters, I hit the gas and broke away. I was at maximum effort with tired legs but I was reeling in the lower grades. With about 5kms to go, I passed a rider and asked him where he was on the road. He told me 4th, but the others were a long way ahead. I wasnt about to give up, but I knew a win was out of the question. I pushed on and got within a minute of second, but 1st was about 4 minutes ahead. The 2 ahead were both women, with second going to D grade, and 1st to F grade. They rode really well, but perhaps were riding in a grade below their abilities. They would have to be on the radar for a promotion now, though, having annihilated their fellow riders from their grades by significant margins of at least 8 minutes. Nonetheless, I was stoked to get third and score the fastest time by over 2 and a half minutes to an A2 rider. Average 36.7kmh and rode 73% of the race at threshold.

A really hard day out, made even harder by a 25km ride home in chilly conditions after a change and a shower came through. My legs are aching constantly today. So much pain. Lots of fun.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Midlands Tour, Vic State Road Series - Masters C, 72km, avg. 35.1 km/h, 824m total ascent.

i have been off the boil for a while now. woke up at 7am and wanted to go back to sleep - felt lethargic. i wonder if i've been overtraining? anyway, lacking in confidence, i pinned my number on and off i went. the first 6 laps were of the flat AARC high speed track, a bit like NASCAR except at 40 km/h. easy. the next 7 - not so easy. each of these took in the 1.7km long, 4.7% climb. after the first one, i was still hanging on but i thought "i will pop the next lap". i was still hanging on after the next one - i was on the limit though. after a few laps, i ate a fruit bar - bang, felt better on the next ascent!

then i made a couple of mistakes on the descent, which preceded the climb. the descent was fast and technical, and we were warned about it at the start line. on about the 4th lap, i was near the rear of the now diminished bunch. someone decided that they didn't like how fast they were going around one of the long, fast, sweeping bends and got on the brakes. i heard the squeal of brakes shortly before realising that i was closing quickly on the rider in front of me. i locked up the rear at about 50 km/h, still banked over with the bike snaking wildly, and thought fleetingly - i will now finish yet another road race in hospital. luckily i pulled it together.

lesson: do not be at the back of the bunch on fast, technical descents.

sadly i made that mistake again - i was suffering a bit, a lot of riders had been shed and i was hanging on. luckily no more incidents, but being at the back on the descent meant having to close a gap on the climb. this cost me energy - which i didn't really have. somehow i stayed with the bunch until the bell lap, when the same mistake on the descent meant i left a gap of about 20m and i couldn't bridge it. i soloed in to the finish about 15th. i was pretty happy with that, as i'd have been competitive had i not felt so terrible.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 pm

mrgolf wrote:Vets Iron Mike handicap - A view from A1

55kms, 990m. G grade had a 40 min start with F at 31, E at 23:30, D at 17, C at 11, B2 and B1 at 7 and 5 respectively, A2 at 2.

I needed a quick wee with 5 minutes to go, so I quickly raced a bit over a kilometre to Stromlo Forest Park and raced back only to see the other 2 A1's lining up on the start. Returned with just enough time to set the Garmin and we were off. Not a good way to start. Then, I couldnt clip in in time so had to chase down the other two riders with a 20-30m gap. Doh. Once on, we worked really hard together (harder than I thought we would) over the first 10 or so kms to the river crossing before the steep but short climb up the the Uriarra false flat. We took it fairly easy coming up so as not to tear the working group apart, but it was clear things were going to split up shortly afterwards. Once on the false flat at about 15km, the first popped off and we eased up thinking he had had a mechanical. Then when the blowtorch was re-apllied, he fell back again, so we pushed on. The two of us took about 3 turns each and then, as I came through for a turn, the other guy said "thats it. Thats my legs. Im gone." So I was on my own with A2 about 2-300m up the road but in sight.

I caught them before long and got within 50m of the front runners up Blue Range before they eked out their advantage on the descent again. Crossing the creek with about 5kms to go to the turnaround, the leaders passed me going the other way. It was going to be a hard task. Up the Condor Ck climb, I reeled the rest of A2 in and we turned for the return leg together. They are big guys who I knew would work hard on the descents and flats on the way back and that outrunning them would be a waste of energy and a futile exercise, so I worked with them to the crossing with about 10km to go and saved a little of my legs for the long undulating climb up to the finish. My legs were already screaming.

Once we hit the first big climb, the three sisters, I hit the gas and broke away. I was at maximum effort with tired legs but I was reeling in the lower grades. With about 5kms to go, I passed a rider and asked him where he was on the road. He told me 4th, but the others were a long way ahead. I wasnt about to give up, but I knew a win was out of the question. I pushed on and got within a minute of second, but 1st was about 4 minutes ahead. The 2 ahead were both women, with second going to D grade, and 1st to F grade. They rode really well, but perhaps were riding in a grade below their abilities. They would have to be on the radar for a promotion now, though, having annihilated their fellow riders from their grades by significant margins of at least 8 minutes. Nonetheless, I was stoked to get third and score the fastest time by over 2 and a half minutes to an A2 rider. Average 36.7kmh and rode 73% of the race at threshold.

A really hard day out, made even harder by a 25km ride home in chilly conditions after a change and a shower came through. My legs are aching constantly today. So much pain. Lots of fun.
Do you try and clip in straight away or get going and then do it? :|

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Jules, you should never be any further back than the front 10 riders on technical courses. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Do you try and clip in straight away or get going and then do it? :|

Foo
I only had a problem cos I was running so late. I pulled up at the line within 15 seconds of starting. Reset Garmin, started Garmin and we are off. I usually have no issues clipping in, so I have never thought of how I do it. I guess I just turn half a pedal stroke, clip other foot in and go. This time, missed it first go and didn't get it in on a couple of subsequent tries. Start was quick, so I lost ground.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:46 pm

mrgolf wrote:I only had a problem cos I was running so late. I pulled up at the line within 15 seconds of starting. Reset Garmin, started Garmin and we are off. I usually have no issues clipping in, so I have never thought of how I do it. I guess I just turn half a pedal stroke, clip other foot in and go. This time, missed it first go and didn't get it in on a couple of subsequent tries. Start was quick, so I lost ground.
on a semi-related note, i watched someone try and stamp dog shoot off their cleat on the start line today. then when we got going, i couldn't clip in.. i wasn't smart enough to check while on the line, but not that dumb that i didn't know why i couldn't clip in :)
foo on patrol wrote:Jules, you should never be any further back than the front 10 riders on technical courses. :wink:
yeah, good advice foo. i was lucky to hang on today though. but in that case, not spending the energy to move up cost more later on.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:44 am

A quick two... last Sunday a nice crit in the park, 75 km of a 2.1 km circuit, pretty much dead flat. Plan was to sit in and wait for the sprint, average speed of the laps varied between 38 and 48 kmph depending on the attacks. Pretty big field with some good size teams, I was on my own. Overall average was 41.3 which was pretty easy ... too much up and down, 2 laps to go two got away and that was it, lucky buggers!... but they deserved it. Sprinted with all I had, thought I had done a 4th or 5th but only managed a 7th in the results.
What I took away from it... I haven't done anywhere enough ( or close to any! ) specific sprint training this year and it showed :oops: .
Today, 73 km's on a 7.3km rolling circuit with a rather good head wind on the long straight to finish, a rolling circuit with a solid little 500m long climb half way and a semi-wall for the finish... plan was to sit in and hope for a sprint :P . Basically I don't have and haven't had the legs all year to put in a proper attack. Thought it was all over when 6 got away but it was a good size field and we ( they ) pulled them back with 2 to go. After that I got aggressive and stuck to what I thought would be the best wheel like glue. Turned out it was the best wheel, but we slowed too much just before the finish climb and I was in too bigger gear, my back and hips just weren't working and I couldn't get on top of the gear, lost 3rd place on the line... 4th it was.
What I took away from today... and this season. Simple, not enough structure and hard long efforts, basically no TT training this year and it showed!.
Thats it, road season is over... let the snow and cyclocross commence :D .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:22 am

Start your sprint intervals earlier next season TLL and that should fix you up. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Yeah, I think I might get another power meter... This year I have been too all over the place with no focus. I do all right in sprints even though my sprint power isn't great... Think it comes down to my 1 minute power being pretty good so I arrive for the sprint better than most ( plus aggressive positioning ;-) ).
Time to go back to Cat1 as well... Sick of racing on my own... Time to be back in a team!