Race Report Thread

Leeroy

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby Leeroy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

doggatas wrote:Racing is not all about power. Through Cav's own admission he would probably not be there on power numbers alone. It's take dedication, hard work and a lot of mental strength, an area in which I lack. Also I don't have a great deal of endurance, which is where the hard work and dedication comes into it. I get popped on most sustained climbs and I just don't train consistently enough not to get dropped. I bought the power meter with the vision of doing just that. Anyways here is my power curve, as you can see it teeters off dramatically after about 1 minute (720).

Are you sure your SRM is properly calibrated? Your power curve is a sprinter's curve but even so your 20 minute and 1 hour power are still very impressive - tooo impressive for C Grade I would have thought? Your FTP looks like its about 4.3 W/Kg which is really A grade level.

Edit: Just read all of the posts above (should have done that before posting) :oops: some of which say much the same - worth checking the calibration again though.

ajmit3

Postby ajmit3 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:43 pm

cerb wrote:
ajmit3 wrote:Nice work Cerb.

Did C grade at Coburg on Saturday- finshed in the bunch without much effort. I reckon its much safer than SKCC due to smaller bunch and wider corners. Although a girl in the bike gallery top nearly took out someone else with a huge serve. We caught B grade who were playing cat and mouse. Such a fast circuit ! Bit my tongue after the race when I saw her...
Haven't raced out there, but I do hear it's a nice course - even with some downhill into the finish? Sounds good to me! Will have to come and try it sometime - just can't be bothered traveling the distance out there when SKCC is only 10mins from home!
Yep - Very nice fast course, with downhill into the finish.. Worth going out there for... Nice atmosphere as well, everyone is really friendly. Very variable when I raced it, was big headwind going north and tail wind going south, so averaged about 39-40, but huge variation in speeds.

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:37 pm

I put a post in the Women's Forum but I thought I might as well include one here as well. My partner raced the WEMBO 24 hour World Solo Championships on the weekend here in Canberra. It was her first solo 24 and she managed to pick up 3rd place in the Elite Women's category. She has blogged about her experience here if you want to have a read of the race report.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:30 am

Wow! That is seriously impressive riding. Huge kudos to your partner for the ride and podium finish!

24h is a hell of a long time in the saddle...!

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:59 am

nescius wrote:I put a post in the Women's Forum but I thought I might as well include one here as well. My partner raced the WEMBO 24 hour World Solo Championships on the weekend here in Canberra. It was her first solo 24 and she managed to pick up 3rd place in the Elite Women's category. She has blogged about her experience here if you want to have a read of the race report.
Great read and awesome effort. Once my partner pops out our first child, I am going to try and convince her to race bicycles instead of running middle distance (34min/10km). But again, great effort from your partner.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:18 am

Leeroy wrote: Are you sure your SRM is properly calibrated? Your power curve is a sprinter's curve but even so your 20 minute and 1 hour power are still very impressive - tooo impressive for C Grade I would have thought? Your FTP looks like its about 4.3 W/Kg which is really A grade level.

Edit: Just read all of the posts above (should have done that before posting) :oops: some of which say much the same - worth checking the calibration again though.
Yeh it is calibrated properly. I was actually fitter and lighter before I got the power meter (April) then the winter set in. Although I am now starting to train/ride again. I raced on the weekend, it was a 34km mass start over some very undulating terrain. The head wind nullified the 6 minute climb, so that worked out well. I hadn't ridden much during the week and didn't ride on Saturday (soft), so I didn't care for winning just wanted a hard ride. I chased more than a few of the attacks from the A graders, which included 8 efforts over 1000 watts for 2-3 seconds at a time. I was in a small break (4) where only 50% of the break wanted to contribute, so that failed. Very honest and hard race and finished with the bunch.

Leeroy

Postby Leeroy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 pm

well, wish I had your numbers. Envious :-)

Pedaling

Postby Pedaling » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:32 pm

RBCC C Grade Crit race report, 12.10.13
Arriving at a warm, windy Heffron park for my first cycling race, I must admit to feeling very nervous.
I have been training with the club for a few months now, so there were some familiar faces glad to see me there to race.
After registering, I rode a couple of laps to warm up, and to see what the wind conditions were like, and to help the butterflies.
So I lined up on the start line with over 20 C graders, checking out the opposition, see who to stick with if any early breaks were to happen. I had some great advice from some guys on this forum, so all that was in my mind was " stay close to front and keep momentum in the corners".
The race begins and I find myself in at 5th wheel, and feeling OK. I expected the pace to be relatively fast for the first few laps, and it certainly was, as we were dropping riders from the first lap. By the third lap we had lost half of the peloton, and I was now in at second wheel, with a defence force rider leading out.
As the race went on, the two defence force riders were taking turns off the front, at a pretty quick pace. I was expecting B grade to come past, but we did not see them for the whole race.
On the second last lap a young rider from NSCC attacked over the back, into the wind, and the two defence force riders went with him. I was in shock and did not expect it, so I chased, and chased while everybody else followed my wheel. I had nothing and thought they had got away, but the three lads in front sat up and we all managed to get back on for the last lap.
So the bell lap, as we past the bell nobody wanted to lead out, me included, so the defence force riders were on the front again, and I sat at third wheel with the NSCC rider behind me. The young NSCC rider attacked again at the same point, although this time I expected it. He attacked hard and started to pull away, what, up comes his hand as he punctured the poor bloke.
So it comes to the sprint, and I am following the defence boys as they are working as a team. As we got closer to the line I thought, "Have a go!" and so I went, way too early and got past by two guys in the last 30 meters, and I gave up and got pipped for third.
So my first crit race I got a forth, and loved every minute of it. Best fun I have had with my pants on! :D
I have learnt so much, and have more of an idea how to train and prepare for my next race on Saturday.
Thanks for the advice everyone,
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
2012 C59 Colnago
2013 Giant TCR

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:32 am

That's a great start !
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:32 am

That's a great start !
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:13 am

Masters Games road race. 80kms, 760m, 36.5kmh. 4 lap course.

Biggest race ever. About 36 starters in two age categories 40-44 and 45-49. We set off together and the first 12kms are unbelievably nervous and silly. Still staggered no one touched wheels. There were multiple attacks which I allowed others to chase down. I was comfortable with the possibility of a long chase so didn't bother using much energy early on.

There is one small climb on the course and the bunch put in a big effort first time around which destroy the bunch and leave about 12 contenders. I am feeling very comfortable. Despite the massive wind and periodic attacks, I feel comfortable enough to sit on the front into the wind knowing the others were having to work more than they wanted. Covered attacks, pushed on the climb but still made it obvious I had a bit in reserve and just sat in taking note of who to watch.

Then, 42 kms into the race (half distance) my front tyre feels soft. Crap! The race had just been neutralised due to a tractor on the road so I seized the opportunity to get some pitstop in the tyre. Within a minute, I am back on the bike, furiously chasing the lead pack with a big tractor between me and them and the race back on. I catch them soon enough and sit on the back to recover. 5 minutes later, the tyre is deflated again. I fill it a second time and add some CO2 for good measure. I have to ride precariously to see if the tyre would hold and my pace is slow.

It is soon apparent that the tyre is ok so I push again, knowing I wouldn't catch the leaders but wanting to still finish strongly. Along the way I catch the debris from the lead group and tow them before dispatching them on the climb and false flat. I cross the line a little fatigued and by myself. Later I find it was good enough for 6th place. Bloody tubulars. Wish I had been running deep lightweight clinchers with tubeless. The perfect safe setup. Doh.

Cul

Postby Cul » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 pm

So today was my first road race and the first time riding with the local cub, I've opted to do the crit series over summer and I saw the Handicap event this weekend as a good introduction to road racing (I've raced MTB for years but never road). Earlier in the week I let the race director know of my riding experience, etc... Getting there today I was informed I am off with the first group (of 3), no biggy I thought not really knowing what to expect. :oops:

First lap I really struggled, my heart rate pegged and I was thinking to myself this wont last, I was toast for sure... After half a lap the heart rate settled and I found a pretty good rhythm, we soon dropped a slower rider on the climb upto the start finish area on the first lap - plugging away by the climb on the third lap I found myself alone and still in front... Just around from the start finish area was a long straight with a gradual incline and a lovely headwind; pushing into it alone was hard work and I was sure I would soon be swamped by the faster riders... But they never come... I rode home to take the win, with the next rider some 4 minutes or so behind. :D

It was a good introduction to road racing, the club and members all of who made me feel welcome; I will definitely be back albeit with a big target on my back and likely riding in the second fastest bunch next time :D

Now time for bed, got a 6hr MTB race tomorrow :idea:
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:23 am

Good one Cul! :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:53 pm

First race with Waratahs in Sydney today. Opted to dip down for D grade since cornering and confidence in chaotic situations isn't my strong suit, and that's pretty much the whole time in criteriums. Couple of warmup laps because I drove down (SOFT). Ended up slaughtering the prime, with a clearer run I might have passed C grade. Got a bit messy because I didn't know it was their prime lap as well. Felt a trifle silly after riding alone for a lap and a half, slowed right down and let the bunch catch up again. There is sandbagging, and there is outright theft. Anyways, lifted the pace on the final lap and really didn't make a decisive break, ended up finishing second by a length. In hindsight, probably needed to sit back until the second last lap and work harder to either break away properly at the end, or be prepared to solo for a lot longer.

I'll go C grade next time, although I'm certainly not ready to leap up the grades because the bike handling seems to be a weak point. I just wasn't confident enough to really throw the bike at the corners, and you can't expect to just go z7 to make up that distance.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:58 pm

Well sports fans there were 45 Starters and 28 finishers in the Australian M4 Road Race. My lucky gift was presented to me by the cycling gods after only 10km of racing. An amorous Peloton Sports rider and a Lidcombe Auburn rider embraced tyres. Mr. Peloton swerved left towards me. I cried inwardly for my demise, but fate intervened. He then corrected right, and domino’ed 3 riders and brought down several more behind. I jumped. But we agreed to wait.

I was having a bad day. Having a bad day in this company was excruciatingly bad. The State 1, 2, 3 Champions of all the Eastern States were present. The announcer noted the world champions, state champions…, past and present. And then there was me. I was kind of a filler. I am padding . Padding out the peloton with no significant achievements. A peloton padder.

30 degrees. Mostly when I race, I remember some amazing things.

I remember only suffering. Suffering so much I had to force myself to stay connected, to stay engaged. So many times I stepped over my limit, promising myself that there was relief ahead. There was no relief. There was no pleasure in this race. There were only fleeting moments when it hurt less. I truly question why I race. I made no mistakes. I raced to my abilities. I came 26th which is an absolute representation of where I should have finished. But it does not tell you how hard it was. When I finished I could barely stand. I could not think. I do not believe that I have ever had to commit so deeply to so many micro-seconds of life.

Failure gives you a certain sense of humility. This was far too humbling.

I rushed home to see my children. They asked whether I had won. They forgave me for my failure. Amy went upstairs and returned with her skipping medal to ‘lend’ me so I wouldn’t feel so bad.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Gold medal for your race reports as always ;-)

MDL

Postby MDL » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 am

A Grade Club Race - First time since last year. 7 in the Race. 2 got dropped 20 min in after some attacks.

Covered another couple of attacks. Managed to finish with them at the end which is what i was chasing. Was right on my pwr limit. Recovered well after the attacks. Still don't have the top end pwr required to finish the race in the end, but did manage to hold one wheel at the end which was pleasing.

Now to see how my Mas B Open Crit goes next weekend.

MDL

trek52

Postby trek52 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:45 am

Xplora wrote:First race with Waratahs in Sydney today. Opted to dip down for D grade since cornering and confidence in chaotic situations isn't my strong suit, and that's pretty much the whole time in criteriums. Couple of warmup laps because I drove down (SOFT). Ended up slaughtering the prime, with a clearer run I might have passed C grade. Got a bit messy because I didn't know it was their prime lap as well. Felt a trifle silly after riding alone for a lap and a half, slowed right down and let the bunch catch up again. There is sandbagging, and there is outright theft. Anyways, lifted the pace on the final lap and really didn't make a decisive break, ended up finishing second by a length. In hindsight, probably needed to sit back until the second last lap and work harder to either break away properly at the end, or be prepared to solo for a lot longer.

I'll go C grade next time, although I'm certainly not ready to leap up the grades because the bike handling seems to be a weak point. I just wasn't confident enough to really throw the bike at the corners, and you can't expect to just go z7 to make up that distance.
I think I saw your finish, you left it way too late to sprint, you were doing about 20kmh faster than the guy that won. If you need a hand with cornering, positioning or racing in general let me know. I race out there most weeks in the summer in A grade even managed a win yesterday.

filip

Postby filip » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:18 am

18/10 Wyong – B grade
40min + 2 laps
39.3 km/h avg

Again quite a big field in B. We had a breakaway from the word go, and the 2 boys stayed away for a while. The bunch never let go do, and the speed was –most of the time- relentless- , allowing no escapes. I was again comfortable, although it was harder than last week, and spend most of the race near the front. At the second last corner i was still in 2nd wheel, but got swamped up the little hill. Finished in the bunch.

20/10 Beaumont road – B grade
45’ + 2
37.5 km/h avg

I let myself in being swayed to go in B (small group) – C was a big field, and all my mates where going in B. We had a break from the start from a guy who was spinning a very high gear, and after we caught him the group settled a bit. Unfortunately we had some really good NSCC riders with us and at minute 27 they started playing and made life so much harder. The 2 NSCC riders together with ‘the spinner’, really put the hammer down. At Beaumont –which is hot dog circuit – you sprint out of the hairpin, recover, sprint out of the next hairpin. These guys were doing sprints out of the hairpin, recover a couple of heartbeats, attack, sprint out of the next hairpin. That’s obviously the way to do it as the group started to break apart. My rubber band started to stretch and finally snapped at minute 43. In the end one of the NSCC riders broke away and won the race, followed by the 2nd NSCC rider.
Good race, good tactics.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Penrith C grade - VICTORY!

Wasn't pussyfooting around tonight, I knew it was going to be a lot harder as well. First 5 laps were fairly sensible, I did enough on the front to comply with etiquette but felt like I was staring at the back of the 4 ladies in the race for quite a while. Anyways... we get to the bell lap, and within 150m the field has slowed from 36kmh down to 30 MAX. I commented on this to a fellow rider, then he looked at me and I looked at him and we proceeded to break away with the whole lap ahead. We had about 60m on the bunch then the big unit bridged the gap (where did he come from? Amazing sprint from him because we were moving fast!) so the 3 of us rolled the turns. I took slightly longer turns because I knew we had to make this stick, and I wanted to make sure the big unit had run out of nitrous because he was going to make me look like a Corolla as he top fueled his way down the final straight. So we were gassing away for about a km, big unit calls out "they're here", but I'd noticed I was pulling away from the two guys breaking away, so I decided that I wasn't going to die wondering. Head down, staring at 178bpm on the HRM, flogging myself. Realised I'd put 50m on the bunch very quickly and that this was going to stick. Passed 3 people cruising around the track and I let out a roar because this was going to work!
Up over the bridge, through the S's, still can't see the bunch... legs starting to realise that anaerobic efforts don't last long as I am on the straight. Only 200m to go... WOW they are COMING. The freight train was coming full pace, it was remarkable how quick they were coming. I crossed the line with 20m to spare, MAX. Second place said he was doing 61kmh trying to catch me. I'd be lucky to be doing half that LOL

Another roar, and a C grade debut win. I think I put about as much effort in as the D grade race yesterday, but it was timed better, had the support of a likeminded pair of gents, and didn't let the effort go to waste. I think I'd definitely like to try a break with a couple laps to go but that's not going to happen without some very enthusiastic support LOL

Very very very happy with the result. Also has shown me that I need to focus hard on 5 minute power and FTP. You can put the gap there easily but defending it is damn hard work and you don't get to try it twice.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Congrats a solo break away win is huge, up to B for you, by the sounds of it probably where you belong also.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:42 pm

ft_critical wrote:Image
HR is a bit hit and miss with this sort of stuff. Power zones would have been much more interesting. My race on the weekend was great for that. Now granted I didnt last long but 18% of the race was in my nueromuscular zone (ie >500W), 6.5minutes in 36minutes, however most of that came in the first 24min when I was still in the bunch. There is only a certain number of times you can punch out of a corner till you pop.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Congrats on the win Xplora :D .
I jumped in a mtb race yesterday... 40km completely flat mtb race!. They don't come around too often in France!. 402 entries. Mass start, 60 to 80 got preferential starting positions due to previous performances. So I got as close to the starting line as I could... but 2nd line was already a long way back!. Didn't get a great start so was in about 100th spot by the time we got through the first bottle neck. Then tried to move myself up. Wiped out on a wet wooden bridge at speed, lost the course 3 times as it wasn't well marked in spots... a pre ride would have been nice. Had to stop to clear my cassette of a branch at one stage then took 10 minutes to get back onto the same group. I was one of maybe 2 or 3 people riding CX bikes... my mtb is big and heavy so I thought why not. Had to be more careful on the rocky sections, definitely wasn't as quick on the tighter single track or rough ground. But obviously had the advantage on the fast stuff and in the mud of which there was a lot the skinny tires held their own very well!. Kept my heart rate pretty steady at 170 until the final 5km run in on fire roads. I was in a bunch of 6 or so, could have tried to break away but there was no one in site in front and I was fairly confident I could out sprint anyone on a mtb :mrgreen: , so I cruised . Took out the sprint in style.
Not sure of my placing but it was 40 something... winners finished for a bunch sprint 10 minutes ahead of me.
Pretty happy with that, could definitely shave off a few minutes if I was on form / light / didn't crash / get lost / mechanicals ... so its on the list for next year :D .
Best part was my back felt good... as the evening before it was touch and go whether I would bother going.
So all good for CX ... next Saturday my season starts :D :D :D .

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:53 pm

ft_critical wrote:Well sports fans there were 45 Starters and 28 finishers in the Australian M4 Road Race. My lucky gift was presented to me by the cycling gods after only 10km of racing. An amorous Peloton Sports rider and a Lidcombe Auburn rider embraced tyres. Mr. Peloton swerved left towards me. I cried inwardly for my demise, but fate intervened. He then corrected right, and domino’ed 3 riders and brought down several more behind. I jumped. But we agreed to wait.

I was having a bad day. Having a bad day in this company was excruciatingly bad. The State 1, 2, 3 Champions of all the Eastern States were present. The announcer noted the world champions, state champions…, past and present. And then there was me. I was kind of a filler. I am padding . Padding out the peloton with no significant achievements. A peloton padder.

30 degrees. Mostly when I race, I remember some amazing things.

I remember only suffering. Suffering so much I had to force myself to stay connected, to stay engaged. So many times I stepped over my limit, promising myself that there was relief ahead. There was no relief. There was no pleasure in this race. There were only fleeting moments when it hurt less. I truly question why I race. I made no mistakes. I raced to my abilities. I came 26th which is an absolute representation of where I should have finished. But it does not tell you how hard it was. When I finished I could barely stand. I could not think. I do not believe that I have ever had to commit so deeply to so many micro-seconds of life.

Failure gives you a certain sense of humility. This was far too humbling.

I rushed home to see my children. They asked whether I had won. They forgave me for my failure. Amy went upstairs and returned with her skipping medal to ‘lend’ me so I wouldn’t feel so bad.
You did very well to finish that. There were some big names didn't finish. My mates came 6th, 8th and 10th .....I wont bore you with their achievements but lets just say they are very good experienced riders, and they got beat. So you did okay I reckon ....better than okay.