Race Report Thread

RobertL

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby RobertL » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:00 pm

I should mention too, that I hung around for the first part of the A Grade race. OMGosh!

There was a field of 60, with a couple of pros - Jay McCarthy of BORA Hansgrohe, and Nick something who was also described as a grand tour rider on the p.a. Together with a bunch of the local hitters they set off hard early. They must have been holding well over 50km/h.

By 10 minutes into the race, the field was strung out over about half a lap, and guys at the back were pulling out and parking. It was an absolute smashfest. I'm annoyed that I didn't have time to stay and watch all of it.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:15 pm

RobertL wrote:I should mention too, that I hung around for the first part of the A Grade race. OMGosh!

There was a field of 60, with a couple of pros - Jay McCarthy of BORA Hansgrohe, and Nick something who was also described as a grand tour rider on the p.a. Together with a bunch of the local hitters they set off hard early. They must have been holding well over 50km/h.

By 10 minutes into the race, the field was strung out over about half a lap, and guys at the back were pulling out and parking. It was an absolute smashfest. I'm annoyed that I didn't have time to stay and watch all of it.
Ha yea i was there to watch A-grade, avg speed was 49.6kph, the other World Tour rider was Nick Schultz.

I was racing in B2, which was a points race, i.e every lap was prime and points awarded for 1st and 2nd over the line. I came 2nd overall on 8 points, winner had 9 points. Was a tough race!

Carriage

Postby Carriage » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Last HCC Crit for they year today. D grade. Just under the temperature limit for cancelling the race. I felt i was doing better but I don't think I did as well comparatively based on my average speed. Still enjoying the challenge though.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 am

adam0bmx0 wrote:
RobertL wrote:I should mention too, that I hung around for the first part of the A Grade race. OMGosh!

Ha yea i was there to watch A-grade, avg speed was 49.6kph, the other World Tour rider was Nick Schultz.

I was racing in B2, which was a points race, i.e every lap was prime and points awarded for 1st and 2nd over the line. I came 2nd overall on 8 points, winner had 9 points. Was a tough race!
Was that you in 3rd place yesterday, Adam? In the Taylor Cycles kit?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:18 am

Hamilton Wheelers Twilight Crit - 13/12/2017

C Grade

Stayed in the pack the whole way, and eventually finished mid-pack.

There was a crash on the back straight on the last lap. People jockeying for position through the esses, and everybody dodged to the right. That forced some riders off the track onto the grass - heading straight for the creek and treeline. A couple of the young women kept it upright and stopped but one older guy crashed and needed an ambulance. He may have broken his collarbone - I'm not sure. Someone said that he flipped over his handlebars, so it wasn't nice.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:20 pm

RobertL wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:

Was that you in 3rd place yesterday, Adam? In the Taylor Cycles kit?
It was indeed Rob. :)

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 pm

It was indeed Rob. :)
Thought so. I saw you talking to Frenchie at the start.

I was the (ahem) heavier guy in a Lifecycle jersey, in case you were wondering.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Competed in my second ever race today (crit)
Having won my grade in my first race, I asked to go up for this one.
Was a bit unsure of the fitness as have been battling a cold all week and overall km was far lower than I would like it to have been.

Started off just sitting in for the first half, but it seemed the others were content to roll around. There were a couple of small surges, but I just watched what the others were doing and they never chased, neither did I.
Just after halfway I was feeling good and the pace seemed slow, so I thought I would push out some faster laps and see what the others would do. Chatting later it seemed, as an unknown, the others were a bit concerned and some went with me. None doing a turn though!
Led for 3 laps, then decided to button off to save energy. Again, found out later that if I had held for 1 more lap I may have been able to go away as the chasers were on their limits (and I wasn't :)). But as I was unsure how I would last, with having a cold and all, I backed off. Hindsight is a wonderful thing :).
As we wound up for the sprint, I left my acceleration late and missed out on a wheel.
The cold cost me some power I think, but tactically I still have a lot to learn. 4th place in grade still not bad.

I am enjoying the racing and as I get better tactically, I suspect I will have more fun

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:53 am

First road race on Sunday. Southern Masters at Crib Point

First 4 laps rolled around in the grade, did a few turns (not too many :)) and was checking out those who seemed to be strong and not doing any work to mark later.
With about 13 km to go I had drifted to the back of the bunch (only 8 left as some had dropped off) to watch, planning an attack on the slight rise on the last lap.
Two blokes started attacking off the front, by the time sleepy here woke up, they had 100 metres. I surged up to the front of the rest of the bunch looking to see if they would back off, but it seemed they were serious. I looked around for anyone wanting to chase with me, but they all weren't interested. So off I went.
One of the two couldn't hack it and I caught him easily, the other continued on down the road. I pushed as hard as I could for that 12 km and did slaughtered my personal best for the 8.5 lap around that road circuit (it's near home so I ride it all the time), but only got a little ground back.
Very happy with my performance, I really pushed my limits and came through with second place and the rest of the grade were well behind. Just need to learn more about tactics and make sure I am in the decisive break.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 am

Nice work Arbuckle! Always nice to push hard and get some new PR's.

Sounds like there was a nasty-ish crash out there in your grade? I saw that they DQ'd the whole B-Grade bunch for crossing the centre lines too?

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 am

The crash was in B Grade, I am much lower than that :)

B grade were apparently all over the place prior to the 250m mark where they would be allowed to use the other side of the road.
Crash happened just before that point.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:53 am

cerb wrote:Nice work Arbuckle! Always nice to push hard and get some new PR's.

Sounds like there was a nasty-ish crash out there in your grade? I saw that they DQ'd the whole B-Grade bunch for crossing the centre lines too?
Seconded - good work Arbuckle. :)

And DQ the whole B-grade bunch?! Wow, that's not something that happens every day, but in this case, on face value at least, warranted.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:57 am

Good stuff Arbuckle. 8)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:58 am

Put myself up to the next grade and raced today. Didn't get dropped despite shocking wind :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:29 pm

8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:12 pm

A pre-report...

I am competing in the Cycling Australia National eCriterium Championships tonight. No chance to win, came 18th in the ZWIFT Au Nationals last year - so I would be happy with another top 20. What is interesting is that this is a real title - Cycling Australia medal, eJersey in National Colours, presentation at the actual Nationals in Ballarat. It is hosted by ZWIFT. An interesting development with Australia the pioneer. Cycling UK is doing an online domestic pro comp.

I am on the NSW Masters Commission and we were talking about doing a NSW Masters event online.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:11 pm

How'd ya go last night, Ft? :?:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 pm

I did post this somewhere else so apologies if you are seeing it again.... I am a bit chuffed though :D

https://www.strava.com/activities/2232918997

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:24 pm

foo on patrol wrote:How'd ya go last night, Ft? :?:

Foo
Hi Foo, sorry I didn’t see your question until now - thanks for asking. Bizarrely, 18th again.
https://www.roadnationals.org.au/upload ... _order.pdf

From the Nationals, not my living room :D :

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:05 pm

Paul B wrote:I did post this somewhere else so apologies if you are seeing it again.... I am a bit chuffed though :D

Bloody well done mate! 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:06 pm

ft_critical wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:How'd ya go last night, Ft? :?:

Foo
Hi Foo, sorry I didn’t see your question until now - thanks for asking. Bizarrely, 18th again.
https://www.roadnationals.org.au/upload ... _order.pdf

From the Nationals, not my living room :D :
Good onya, it's super competitive once you get there. :wink: 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

Paul B

Postby Paul B » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:53 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Paul B wrote:I did post this somewhere else so apologies if you are seeing it again.... I am a bit chuffed though :D

Bloody well done mate! 8)

Foo
Cheers Foo. Still feels quite surreal having achieved this. It’s beyond anything I thought possible.... something that never even would have entered my mind a few years back. Now to come back and win it again in 2020 :shock:

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Did my first ever Qld Classic Road Series race yesterday. The Darren Smith Classic at the Hinze Dam. Men's Masters D Grade - came 2nd last!

Had fun, though!!

48km & 900m vertical. Each lap featured a nasty little climb up from the dam with ramps up to 20% :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://www.strava.com/segments/18485355

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Good on ya Robert and the fun part is the most important part. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:51 pm

RobertL wrote:Did my first ever Qld Classic Road Series race yesterday. The Darren Smith Classic at the Hinze Dam. Men's Masters D Grade - came 2nd last!

Had fun, though!!
well done Robert! hope you had fun.

I competed in the Charles Coin road race yesterday out at Laidley. Masters C. that would have been a better race for you to start racing in - as it was flatter than the Darren Smith (from what you say).

I got 10th, sprinting in a few metres behind the winner in a bunch kick. I love the buzz of jostling for position in a tight bunch. It's highly addictive. Unfortunately I have no real sprint.