toolonglegs

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:43 pm

Tapa double triple post

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Hey Nick or Mark

What happened at PDCC yesterday? The entire of C grade DNF'd and a number of A grade a well
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Redbull wrote:What happened at PDCC yesterday? The entire of C grade DNF'd and a number of A grade a well
C grade, touch of wheels on Gull Road, one rider went down hard on her hip. C grade stopped and waited for the ambulance. Hopefully just a nasty bruise and nothing broken.

A grade were doing 40kph laps, with the Gull Road section into 35kph headwind. So it was carnage in A from what I heard.
edit *** A grade race report from Luke of the KD Cycles team https://www.facebook.com/teamkdcycles/p ... 8919000088 ***

My D grade report can be found here: http://nickcowie.com/?p=813

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:08 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Sprinted with all I had, thought I had done a 4th or 5th but only managed a 7th in the results.
What I took away from it... I haven't done anywhere enough ( or close to any! ) specific sprint training this year and it showed :oops:
Me too. I rode hard on the front for ¾ of the race (which I enjoyed) albeit chasing a clubmate in the days break 00ps. When the work was done and the break was returning, I dropped back to put on my makeup for the sprint.

I moved up to about 6th on the run; I was in an excellent position. But I had nothing for the sprint, except inner emptiness. I was already at my max training HR so other than some ineffective begging (for speed,) I watched 1, 2, 3 ride away. Admittedly two were utter schnivellers, but one was a whole race worker.

No amount of sprint training was going to help me here. It is the sprinter who arrives fresh who wins, sometimes that is not even a sprinter at all. I have had a run of these types of finishes, I am at the end, in the right position, but max’d out. The only good thing about these races is that you can’t complain about not being able to fully commit. I guess the training tip for this affliction is more racing.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:25 pm

I didn't have much choice but to wait for the sprint, I hardly went to the front in either race. The 2nd one I was digging hard on the climb just to stay in the bunch into a head wind. Just empty and tired... time off now, going to have nearly two weeks off the bike from Wed and then start again. May / June are my goal months :D .

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:02 pm

nickobec wrote:
Redbull wrote:What happened at PDCC yesterday? The entire of C grade DNF'd and a number of A grade a well
C grade, touch of wheels on Gull Road, one rider went down hard on her hip. C grade stopped and waited for the ambulance. Hopefully just a nasty bruise and nothing broken.

A grade were doing 40kph laps, with the Gull Road section into 35kph headwind. So it was carnage in A from what I heard.
edit *** A grade race report from Luke of the KD Cycles team https://www.facebook.com/teamkdcycles/p ... 8919000088 ***

My D grade report can be found here: http://nickcowie.com/?p=813
Thanks Nick.

That's not good to hear. Hope all are well.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Redbull wrote:That's not good to hear. Hope all are well.
Afraid not, pelvis broken in 4 places, but surgery not required.

You need to get on facebook and join "the friends of Peel District Cycling Club" for all the gossip and tease Simmo about training rides in the hills.

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Wow, that's not good.
I avoid Facebook like the plague. Lol, or should I say like Simmo avoids anything with an incline :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:48 pm

nickobec wrote:
Redbull wrote:That's not good to hear. Hope all are well.
Afraid not, pelvis broken in 4 places, but surgery not required.

You need to get on facebook and join "the friends of Peel District Cycling Club" for all the gossip and tease Simmo about training rides in the hills.
:shock: Ouch! :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Jared Graves (Google him if you don't know who he is) comes from Toowoomba and he spends his summers torturing us all in club races. Yesterday we had a 54 km road race with berg after berg after berg. I chased Jared up the bergs, then I chased Jared down the bergs, then I chased Jared up the bergs, then I chased Jared down the bergs. Then I couldn't chase Jared anymore...

Guy is a freak. If he had been put on a road bike at 15 I can't imagine what an awesome road professional he would have been.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:33 am

Sounds like a bloke that was in the Ipswich club with us. He came back after 20yrs off the bike and could make us young blokes of 18-20yr olds hurt like hell. :lol:

He thought nothing of riding from Ipswich to Warwick to Toowoomba and back to Ipswich in a day. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 pm

CCC/VCC Club Champioships Canberra. Uriarra Championship course - 70kms, 1100m climb @36.5kmh.

Decided to venture out beyond Vets club and ride open A grade. This was the club champs for both the CA affiliated road race clubs in Canberra, so I was expecting to be taught a serious lesson for ill placed self belief.

In short, it was a much more technical and tactical race than Vets and there was some serious talent out putting out some big power attacks to break things up a bit. By the second out and back lap, they had succeeded. The peleton on about 18 riders was split back to about 7 and was thinning fast. It all happened on one of the steeper climbs of the race. Then we descended and hit the next climb. We lost more riders and ended the climb with 5. I felt very comfortable on the climb and did most of my work on the front driving up to the turnaround.

Coming back, one of the dropped riders got back on and the pace heated up. It was a bumpy descent and I had stupidly put over 140psi in my tubs (I only weigh 65). A guy in front of me allowed the group to breakaway by about 50m but it didnt extend. He was not a confident descender, so thank god they didnt put the boot in too hard. I couldnt come around him, though, because he was using a lot of the road and I was on the limit. Once on the flat, he made no move to chase down the leaders so I had to put in a massive effort to tow him back on. I made contact about 500m before the next climb so sat on the back recovering, while the other guy was panting so hard I thought he was about to expire.

Next climb and I was comfortably in my zone again so I just sat in knowing if I didnt get dropped here, it was 15kms of slight downhill and false flat to go and I was in with a chance of a top 5 finish. Success. We crested as 5 and pushed down to the final turnaround taking regular turns throughout, although there was enough of a relaxed vibe to have a chat and a laugh until the turnaround. Then it was all false flat into a headwind all the way home. Our pursuers were closer than I expected, so I pushed the pace a bit to consolidate my place. We dropped another rider. Then Jeremy, a guy I had raced with in the vets let us know he had flatted, so it was down to three. The pace eased when I went to get off the front, and it seemed no matter how slow I went, the others slowed more to leave me out, so I attacked again. I had nothing to lose. In the end, they got me in the final sprint, but 3rd was way more than I thought possible. Very happy with the result. When I started riding a few years back, I never imagined I would end up riding A grade.

As a postscript, I got my CA licence through an affiliation with a MTB club. As a result of not being a CCC or VCC club member and being that it was their club championships, I was excluded from the official results. Understandable, but disappointing.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:23 pm

mrgolf wrote: As a postscript, I got my CA licence through an affiliation with a MTB club. As a result of not being a CCC or VCC club member and being that it was their club championships, I was excluded from the official results. Understandable, but disappointing.
3rd is 3rd! paperwork means nothing. congrats

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:34 pm

A great result but...
mrgolf wrote:It was a bumpy descent and I had stupidly put over 140psi in my tubs (I only weigh 65).
That's just dumb.

In the 80's (when more was better) I ran 130 front and 140 rear at about 70kg. 140 is the same pressure that we use on the tandem at 200kg rider weight.

There are no roads that we race on around here where that sort of pressure is an advantage for you. Try 90/100 and appreciate the better ride, better traction, less resistance and less fatigue.

Save that sort of pressure for SFP if you must.

Cheers,

Cameron

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:18 pm

First ever race : 48km Handicap, 6 laps of an 8km circuit.

There were 27 starters, split into about 5 groups, can't really remember what all of the time splits were.

A single guy was first off with a time advantage and had to do 1 lap less.

I was part of a group of 4 next off. Before we started two of the more experienced guys in our group went through how to race it, which way we would roll etc. The idea was that the group behind which had about 10 riders in it would catch us for sure so until that point roll turns without pushing too hard so when they picked us up we had a bit in the tank.

Took off and I was in the wrong gear and could not get clipped in. Luckily the others waited for me a bit but a 100m sprint off the line was not part of the plan. Got on board and the 4 of us rolled through pretty well, although I was thinking there was no way I could keep that pace up! A couple of times I ended up in slightly the wrong spot but the other riders gave good directions, firm and clear without being abusive in any way.

About half way through the third lap the bunch behind caught us, the more experienced guys had told me that at this point don't feel obliged to pull any turns if the pace is too hot just hang on the back. I spent the better part of a lap rolling through then decided that if I kept that up I would pop so I decided to hang on the back and just do an occasional turn to try to hang with the bunch for the rest of the race at least.

Did that until we go the bell and by then I figured if I got spat out the back I could deal with it so I started rolling through again as part of the group, the group behind was not too far off us and I thought I should give what I could given they had towed me around. Legs had a bit more left in them than I thought they would, so I pulled a couple of turns then with about 500m to go there was an attack and I had nothing, spat out the back and rolled home.

Looking at the data I had a normalised power of 232watts, my FTP is about 250 watts, so not too far off it. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386191247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a blast, legs are sore but it was really good fun! the guys and girls were super friendly just have to get stronger. I have a triathlon in 5 weeks time, after that I am going to be very bike focussed I think.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:10 am

Toolish wrote:First ever race : 48km Handicap, 6 laps of an 8km circuit.

There were 27 starters, split into about 5 groups, can't really remember what all of the time splits were.

A single guy was first off with a time advantage and had to do 1 lap less.

I was part of a group of 4 next off. Before we started two of the more experienced guys in our group went through how to race it, which way we would roll etc. The idea was that the group behind which had about 10 riders in it would catch us for sure so until that point roll turns without pushing too hard so when they picked us up we had a bit in the tank.

Took off and I was in the wrong gear and could not get clipped in. Luckily the others waited for me a bit but a 100m sprint off the line was not part of the plan. Got on board and the 4 of us rolled through pretty well, although I was thinking there was no way I could keep that pace up! A couple of times I ended up in slightly the wrong spot but the other riders gave good directions, firm and clear without being abusive in any way.

About half way through the third lap the bunch behind caught us, the more experienced guys had told me that at this point don't feel obliged to pull any turns if the pace is too hot just hang on the back. I spent the better part of a lap rolling through then decided that if I kept that up I would pop so I decided to hang on the back and just do an occasional turn to try to hang with the bunch for the rest of the race at least.

Did that until we go the bell and by then I figured if I got spat out the back I could deal with it so I started rolling through again as part of the group, the group behind was not too far off us and I thought I should give what I could given they had towed me around. Legs had a bit more left in them than I thought they would, so I pulled a couple of turns then with about 500m to go there was an attack and I had nothing, spat out the back and rolled home.

Looking at the data I had a normalised power of 232watts, my FTP is about 250 watts, so not too far off it. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/386191247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had a blast, legs are sore but it was really good fun! the guys and girls were super friendly just have to get stronger. I have a triathlon in 5 weeks time, after that I am going to be very bike focussed I think.
Get into a routine.

Unless they are going slower than your close to maximum, sit in for experience

Don't make a habit of this, unless you have decided to leed someone out.

Now that you have gotten your first race out of the way, you can start learning the craft. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 am

Get into a routine.
The routine was more based in triathlon, easyish gear to get up to speed, not hit it from the gun like this. Not sure how to improve the clipping in part, had clip in pedals for about 4 years now and still struggle every now and then.

Unless they are going slower than your close to maximum, sit in for experience
Yep, that is what I did and what a few others had told me.

Don't make a habit of this, unless you have decided to leed someone out.
What do you mean by this? Shouldn't as in bad etiquette or bad tactics?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:50 am

Bad tactics mate, racing is all about the tactics. :wink:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:54 am

With your clipping in, this just occurred to me. Put some fine grit sand paper on the under side of your pedals, so that you can take off and place your foot on the pedal without slipping off, till you get up to speed and then clip in. Just an idea for you Toolish. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:37 am

foo on patrol wrote:Bad tactics mate, racing is all about the tactics. :wink:

Foo
Yep, I knew it was bad tactically. Felt compelled to give a bit after sucking wheel for 20km!

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:53 am

SKCC D-Grade Criterium
Avg. 40.7kph, 31km

Fun start to the local crit season yesterday! 60 odd people in the bunch, so it was pretty hectic and fast.

I was feeling pretty confident at the start of the race and was determined to get a break going, but whenever we managed to open a small gap, no-one was keen to pull a turn and just waited for the bunch to catch again. Didn't stop me from continuing to try through the whole race though and I probably burnt a lot of matches just chasing onto breaks, driving the pace and trying to get something to stick (tactical fail #1).

We got held up by B-grade for lots of laps in the middle of the race after they went past us and slowed down while they worked out who would chase their breakaway group... So D-grade neutralized ourselves until B-grade would get out of sight, then would give it a kick and start racing again. After 1 lap, we'd be caught behind B-grade again - with them really not wanting to move out the way... After letting them get out of sight, then getting stuck in again 3 or 4 times, they finally got the hint and sped up out the way. Very frustrating!

There were also a few muppets in our bunch who, between the 3 of them almost managed to cause 5+ crashes. The 3rd and 2nd last lap were particularly sketchy with said muppets over extending themselves and making it silly dangerous for the people around them... Coming into the last lap I moved myself into the first 3-4 riders to get ahead of the muppetry and a little guy with massive legs squeezes through on the inside of turn 1 and opens up full gas for a flyer. I'd picked him out earlier as one to watch and as he put 100m into the bunch in a few seconds, I thought i'd give chase. BAD move - tactical fail #2!

The two of us had opened a gap and I was starting to shut him down, until with ~400m to go my legs told me they were no longer willing to work for the day... He was in the same situation, and we both got swarmed by the bunch just before the last corner. I went from 2nd down to ~10th round the corner, but gave the sprint a crack anyway and pulled back up to 5th at the line.

I was pretty happy with the result considering the massive tactical failures on my part and will be looking to improve on the tactics next week!

P.S. How good is racing? :D

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:56 am

Well done Toolish,

In spite of Foo's tactical criticism I think that you rode a pretty well perfect race in the context of being in a handicap for your first race.

It sounds as if you have found a good bunch of folk to race with which is really important for encouraging you to come back and race again. The actions of waiting for you at the start, and giving you some tips as the race went along speaks well for them and their willingness to be inclusive of new riders.

As for your efforts it sounds as if you put in some work when you could, and held on when you couldn't. This will also help shape the other riders expectations of you, when you turn up for the next race. You found out that you actually had more in you when you needed it, suggests that you mightn't have found your limits by riding on your own (and you mightn't have found them yet).

It sounds as if you put in a meaningful contribution to keep your bunch ahead of the faster bunch from behind. If you hadn't done so and the bunch got caught as a result then no-one in your group would have featured in the results. There is some satisfaction to be gained from assisting others to do well. More to the point, you will have earned some respect from the others for your work ethic and this is important because it sounds as if these will be the people you would be racing against next time. Had you just bludged around on the back and then beaten them in the sprint, then the next time the elastic stretches (like missing your foot at the start, or losing ground in a corner) they would have no problem with turning the screw specifically to make life hard for you. Your report suggests you rode it just right IMO.

Mind you, there is no way I'd ever suggest to a new rider to take part in a sprint unless I was confident in their bike handling skills. Just because you're a triathlete doesn't mean you can't sprint but there are different skills and mind set involved. Fortunately criterium and track season is just starting which are the best places to learn. Things like positioning and timing are at least as important as physical attributes when it comes to sprinting. Mark Cavendish criticised the GB cycling team when they started selecting athletes based mainly on their power numbers, because he wouldn't have been selected on that basis. Tactically sprinting is more interesting, because that is where good ones win and bad ones lose. There is little to be learned from just riding everybody off your wheel and winning by yourself, besides winning by more than half a wheel is wasted energy.

Cheers,

Cameron

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:13 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Well done Toolish,

In spite of Foo's tactical criticism I think that you rode a pretty well perfect race in the context of being in a handicap for your first race.

It sounds as if you have found a good bunch of folk to race with which is really important for encouraging you to come back and race again. The actions of waiting for you at the start, and giving you some tips as the race went along speaks well for them and their willingness to be inclusive of new riders.
Yeah, they were all really good. I was fairly nervous the night before, not really knowing what to expect. Having watched a fair bit of cycling helped, but doing it is different obviously.
As for your efforts it sounds as if you put in some work when you could, and held on when you couldn't. This will also help shape the other riders expectations of you, when you turn up for the next race. You found out that you actually had more in you when you needed it, suggests that you mightn't have found your limits by riding on your own (and you mightn't have found them yet).
Yeah, there is more to give, although absolute top end power is a limit I could have done a couple more turns at the front if needed.
It sounds as if you put in a meaningful contribution to keep your bunch ahead of the faster bunch from behind. If you hadn't done so and the bunch got caught as a result then no-one in your group would have featured in the results. There is some satisfaction to be gained from assisting others to do well. More to the point, you will have earned some respect from the others for your work ethic and this is important because it sounds as if these will be the people you would be racing against next time. Had you just bludged around on the back and then beaten them in the sprint, then the next time the elastic stretches (like missing your foot at the start, or losing ground in a corner) they would have no problem with turning the screw specifically to make life hard for you. Your report suggests you rode it just right IMO.

Mind you, there is no way I'd ever suggest to a new rider to take part in a sprint unless I was confident in their bike handling skills. Just because you're a triathlete doesn't mean you can't sprint but there are different skills and mind set involved. Fortunately criterium and track season is just starting which are the best places to learn. Things like positioning and timing are at least as important as physical attributes when it comes to sprinting. Mark Cavendish criticised the GB cycling team when they started selecting athletes based mainly on their power numbers, because he wouldn't have been selected on that basis. Tactically sprinting is more interesting, because that is where good ones win and bad ones lose. There is little to be learned from just riding everybody off your wheel and winning by yourself, besides winning by more than half a wheel is wasted energy.

Cheers,

Cameron
Thanks for the reply overall. No way I was going to be sprinting even if I was up there. I am not a sprinter at all yet. That is something I will have to work a lot on from both physical side of things and tactically if I want to be successful racing up here.

Bike handling, yeah, got taught a bit of a lesson in cornering speed etc. I got better as the race went but early on I dropped a couple of bike lengths each corner. I made sure the first couple of laps I was at the back for the corners so I didn't get in anyone's way, but as the race went I got better at it.

No racing now for a couple of weeks and I am already looking forward to it again, I have the bug for sure. I think the next one I can get to is a graded scratch race.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Not criticism Ironhanglider but advice for someone new to the racing game. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:18 pm

cerb wrote:[I was pretty happy with the result considering the massive tactical failures on my part and will be looking to improve on the tactics next week!
great work Cerb. i was hoping to give it a crack on sunday but been a bit unwell. feel free to report the numbers of idiots undertaking to SKCC - people will thank you for it. some of them have no business taking part in crits.