Race Report Thread

For Roadies

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 am

Nice result X. Its a good tactic to make a few soft dummy attacks early, let a break go and then bridge to it. Good execution!
Derny Driver

by BNA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 am

BNA

Postby dale79 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:16 am

Pedaling wrote:
stevecassidy wrote:There's a nice video taken by the second placed rider of the last two laps - just about when I got dropped. A good tour of the circuit though.

Steve

Thanks for the post Steve.
I would like to have a lash this Thursday if possible.
What time does B Grade race? What time can you sign on?
Where do you normally sign on at the Armory?
Thanks mate,
Cheers,

Darrin.

I'm going to head out tomorrow night, 6pm sign on for C AND D at 6:30 A AND B at 7
dale79

Postby rogan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:00 am

Good stuff X. I wonder why B Grade weren't chasing properly... were the guys who were away from Penrith club?
rogan

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:45 am

Dunno. I saw a lot of the same faces up front, they might have been just too tired to really grind it out. The short track doesn't leave any opportunity for rider mistakes like the long track does, and a bit of wind really broke down the bunch badly a couple times.
Xplora

Postby Trek_Arty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:51 am

rogan wrote:were the guys who were away from Penrith club?

Go Penrith :lol: :lol:
Don't forget X rides for the mighty club from the base of the mountains rogan....
Trek_Arty

Postby iaintas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:54 pm

Sandown Crit CCCC. C Grade

Well once again I think about 60 strong in C-grade, finally the wind wasn't to harsh yesterday. It was a really strong field with lots of riders I hadn't seen before, I had commuted to work today 50km return and was up at 0430 so I wasn't sure i had good legs, I was going to play it by ear and work on my positioning in bigger groups.

The pace started out fairly sedately i worked my way to the front and decided to push the pace on the first lap, turned around and found only 1 guy had come with me off the front. we played for a while out front then sat up on lap 2 as 1 hour out front of 60 chasers wasn't going to work! There were a flurry of attacks for the whole race and I worked to shut them down (After all i needed my 40min of FTP work today), had a few little digs myself with a few guys I have gotten to know over the past few weeks of racing. Everything just got shut down to quickly so I settled in to see how a bunch sprint would play out.

With one lap to go i could see a group of 4 trying to organise a final run to the line (guys i had never seen before), as soon as they grouped the pace picked up down the back straight and pop they were gone out the back (had a chuckle to myself). I stuck with the top 15 or so for the final few corners but got out of position leading into the last 2 corners and never find a way back to compete for the sprint, i had burnt my matches for the day!

I actually learned a lot from this race both about positioning towards the front and also found that a lot of the new guys will work so hard to shut a break down, then explode off the back never to be seen again, hence a break never really got away.

Back next week for more fun
iaintas

Postby cerb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Good race and analysis iaintas!

Lots of people get excited when a break goes and you can often rely on a couple of people trying to jump across to it and dragging the bunch with them - thereby shutting down the break. I find that you end up getting the reverse of the accordion affect that you get out of corners. People chase across individually - the first people who chase jump hard and put in a lot of energy, but by the time 5-10 people have tried to go across, you don't have to put much effort in to close up the gap. At this stage, I even drop a bike length on the person in front to make it even easier for me - 9 times out of 10 they end up having to brake again anyway and you can just roll back onto their wheel!

While all of that is happening, you have plenty of time to work out who is in the break, who is trying for a break and who is burning all their matches!

I do like crit racing... it's like chess on wheels! :)
cerb

Postby iaintas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Im just starting to get used to Crit racing, using it for Road race training! I am not quick in the corners after a few crashes in a short time a few years ago left me mentally scared and have never found my cornering speed since then (although crits do seem to help). I probably do have the speed to race B grade as I am finding riding in c-grade fairly easy when riding in the pack and have instigated 2 longish breaks to place in the top 3 twice now, but my lack of sprinting ability and cornering ability will certainly let me down in terms of placing in races that don't allow a break away.

I might try and get out to a few more crits around Melbourne including HCC and SKCC once i get a bit more confidence in bigger tighter races. :D
iaintas

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:17 am

^^ If you're steady on the cornering and loosing time here, then get on the front for the corners because it is the concertina effect that is coursing you to lose touch. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Ignoto » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:12 pm

First Crit race for me this morning. I was quite apprehensive on how I was going to go. After speaking to a fair few racers they simply told me to keep out of trouble, don't spend any time in the front and on the last two laps just get out of the way.

I jumped in the B-Grade field of about 25-30, very slow start and some nasty headwinds. The field felt pretty apprehensive about doing any type of work or killing themselves which was fine by me. But I found myself in the top third of the peloton, especially when people didn't know how to accelerate out of corners. I felt really comfortable during the entire race, the HR would only spike during the fast surges then would drop. On the prime lap, the group obviously took off so I decided to stay with them to keep out of trouble. On the last corner before the straight, the front riders took some very odd lines - one hugged the corner, the other went way too wide and somehow I found myself slingshotting out of the last corner. I came out of the corner a good 15km+ faster than the lead group and just hammered for a bit, looked back whilst on the straight and the "chase" was a good 50 metres back meaning that I could coast to win the prime lap!

When the group caught back up I just jumped on the last wheel of the front group and recovered. No real issues until the last lap when no-one wanted a pull, so I said bugger it and put the hammer down. Obviously those smart ones just followed my tail and caught me in the final 300m to take a podium finish off me. But leading out on the final lap wasn't too bad, meant I kept away from any potential crashes and helped inflict some pain.

So, I basically didn't follow any the advice I was given :lol: Had a great laugh at it, was a tad annoyed that I'd let people come over into the draft line but the favour was never returned. Had a great time, the next time I race I imagine it'll be with a field of 40-60 so I'll change my tactics a bit to be more aware of what's going on.
Ignoto

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:34 pm

You live and learn in this sport Ignoto, you had a good go and that's great. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby jules21 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:54 am

SKCC D grade, 45 mins + 3 laps.

i felt a bit rubbish for this - i've had a stressful week at work which always leaves me tired and my eyes are all puffed up from something. anyway, in theory i should be able to win a D grade crit. in practise, it's more of a keirin that a crit. everyone rolls around at a sedate pace - until someone attacks. then they jump on it like wolves hunting prey, before returning to sedate mode. i had at least 3 cracks at attacking in this race and got chased down every time - only on the last one, with 4 laps to go, was i allowed any distance. in truth, i didn't have the legs today. what really made me angry was the standard of riding. as a rule i try to stay up the front of these races, but found myself back in the bunch, such as when recovering from a dig. one bloke stuffed himself up my inside on the corner at the end of the finishing straight. fair dinkum, i was pretty close to crashing as i basically to lean on him to avoid the rider to my immediate right. he was left in no doubt about my feelings on that. that was the worst example, but it happened at least another 2 times. how hard is it to remember not to overtake up the inside of a corner? the standard of riding was shocking. i ended up rolling in behind the bunch - i had nothing left after my last dig - and picked a cone that someone had run over and knocked into the middle of the course. i'll be nominating for C grade next time - this is BS.
jules21

Postby BillR » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:26 pm

My first road race this morning having joined the Southern vets earlier in the week.

http://www.southernvets.org.au

Course map : http://www.southernvets.org.au/Course%2007A%20Kangarilla%20Sand%20Rd%20Loop%20x%204%20return%20Moritz%20Rd.pdf

Felt ok turning onto the finish straight in second place, but those wily old riders in D grade know when to make the moves.
Got swamped and finished about 7th.

All good fun and looking forward to the 2 man TT in two weeks time!!

cheers
Bill
BillR

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Ya get days like that Jules, a bit of a bugger at times! :wink:

Now that you've had your first race Billr, you can only get better. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Pedaling » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Saturday afternoon Heffron Park C Grade, RBCC crit.

First race of the year for me, as I am recovering from a back injury.

It was windy at Heffron as usual, with a strong Southerly wind, which blows down the long start finish straight.
Popped a Voltaren, to calm the back spasms, before I left for the ride, and felt ordinary riding to the circuit.
After stretching and a brisk warm up, I began to feel a bit better.
The pace was pretty civilised to start, with a few lads willing to roll turns with me.
No one dropped for the first half of the race, despite a few attacks from a couple of strong contenders. The attacks were chased down pretty rapidly.
I decided to attack hard at the squircle about mid race, and had a hundred meters on the field, but I didn't want to be TTing for the rest of the race, so I backed off to see who would bridge.
A minute later a DHCC rider came around me, so I jumped on his wheel, by that time most of the riders were together again. I sat in to recover for a couple of laps.
At the start of the 4 th lap my mate said, this is getting boring, so next time at the squircle I decided to lead out at more brisk pace, not really an attack, but upped the pace to see could hold on.
I was surprised to see I had rode off the front and had a good lead. Coming onto the straight my mate had joined me, so I said " you and me let's go"
We worked hard, for a couple of laps, until another joined us.
By the time the bell came we were pretty much safe, but tired.
Last lap we all worked till the last corner on the straight, and I was fortunate enough to be last wheel. I waited for second wheel to start to sprint and managed to pass both riders pretty quickly to win.
My first win, and very happy with that.
B grade next week and looking forward to it.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
Pedaling

Postby BillR » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:06 pm

Good Pedaling!

Cheers Foo.

Bill
BillR

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Good goin Pedaling. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby Pedaling » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks Lads,
Biggest thing i learnt is that you don't need to attack by sprinting.
Slipping off the front seemed to work beautifully yesterday, it also kept my heart rate to manageable level.
Cheers.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
Pedaling

Postby jules21 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:31 pm

Pedaling wrote:First race of the year for me, as I am recovering from a back injury.

Pedaling wrote:Biggest thing i learnt is that you don't need to attack by sprinting.
Slipping off the front seemed to work beautifully yesterday, it also kept my heart rate to manageable level.

that may not work a second time :D
jules21

Postby cerb » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:55 am

SKCC Crits & TTT - B-Grade
Avg. 42.3kph, 40km (crit)
Avg, 44.5kph, 8km (TTT)

We had a double day, with a crit first, then an hours break before an 8km TTT.

The crit was fairly uneventful for me. A break went early so I cruised around in the bunch - nothing to see here! With 20mins to go there was someone in no-mans land between the bunch and the break. I was getting a bit bored, so broke away up to him to see if he would work with me to jump across to the break. Unfortunately, this kicked the hornets nest and it was clear after 1.5 laps that we were not going to get away, so I sat up and waited for the bunch to catch us.

Coming into 3 laps to go, I moved up into a good position but found myself too close to the front, too early. There was a team with 3 guys working to shut down the break who were now dangling only 100m off the front. There was no doubt in my mind we would catch them, so I followed wheels and conserved instead of pulling a big turn and killing my legs for the finish. I copped a few angry faces for not pulling a turn, but as a sprinter I figure at under 3 laps to go, it's time to fox, not destroy yourself when you're outnumbered.

We ended up closing onto the break just before the final corner, but the guys in the break apparently still had legs - two of them getting up for the podium with my teammate getting 2nd. I came into the last corner in 5th and finished in ~5th with a lot of others around the same position.

It was a bit of a 'nothing' race for me... though I am still learning about keeping track of your team mates and generally riding in a team rather than always with just yourself in mind! I've got lots still to learn!

The TTT was 8 laps (8km) with 4 people per team. It was my second ever attempt at a time trial and my first ever TTT. All the B-grade teams raced on normal road bikes and even in A-grade, only one team rocked up with TT bikes, disks and sperm helmets!

Legs were feeling ok after the crit and I got plenty of fluids on board before hand.

I knew a TTT would be a bit of a struggle as I'm the newest on the team and while I have a good power-weight ratio up to about 5mins, 8km was going to be roughly 10-11mins. We had two strong riders (call them A & B), myself and another rider who has power output slightly higher than mine, but without the top end (call him C).

Off the line, rider C missed a pedal clip-in and the first 150m were spent soft pedaling while he got it sorted and we got moving. We then fell into a nice pace line and were working well together. At about 5.5 laps in, my legs started to go - I was dropping the wheel slightly after my turn, as I tried to pull back onto the back of the line. Rider C, was obviously feeling the same and we both skipped a turn before both giving it one more solid turn each. This put us onto the final lap and when we came down the back straight, riders A & B (still going strong) surged and rider C dropped the wheel of A&B when I was behind him. He called 'slow', but I thought I had enough juice to get 3 of us to the finish (the requirement is 3 of the 4 riders). So I called to keep the power down and jumped across the gap to the other two who pulled hard into the final corner. We pushed hard and all fanned out as we came around each other to ensure we came across the line together.

I was knackered... Strava says my average heartrate was 179bpm for just under 11mins and for the first time ever, I had 'points in the red' only one point lower than my 'suffer score'. Was a good ride and certainly an eye-opener to the world of TT's! We came 3rd overall, but it was only out of 4 teams! Despite this, we were still pretty happy to walk away with another podium and I was pretty happy to hold on for so long and be able to contribute to a decent result.
cerb

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 pm

Well Cerb, if you had nothing left in the tank at the end, thenyou gave it your all and that is how a TT should be ridden.;)

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby iaintas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 am

CCCC Sandown Crit C-Grade avg speed about 40km/h

Once again a strong field showed up for C-Grade and the usual block headwind down the straight made for interesting racing. Once again a flurry of attacks for the whole race getting shut down time and time again. No one could get more than 50m clear off the front, I decided today was going to be spent softening the field up and attacked on the climb 4 or 5 times, twice early then twice on the last few laps, false attacks to see who i could put into the hurt box, there were plenty of "teams" working together for the race and considering i only vaguely know one other person in the grade it was going to be tough.

My last 2 attacks were interesting though, and i clearly put a few people in the box, I got left out the front for a lap to drive the peleton after my first attack got shut down, no one else wanted to pull, and it took me to stop pedaling and sitting up for someone to come around, either they were spent or a bit worried i had good legs. The last attack was on the back of another guy heading off, he broke of the front and stayed left, i followed but decided to stay right, i wasn't going to catch him but i wasn't going to drag the peleton back either! They stuck to my wheel despite my significant slowing and showing no interest in catching the other guy out infront and once again they sat there for a while. This time i decided just to keep the pace high enough so the bunch wouldnt come flooding past, but not fast enought so they might start to worry about the guy ahead of me! my plan was to attack again once they caught him! It failed, he sat up and came back to quickly for the peleton to slow a bit for a rest!

So i Stayed out front for a while, slowly trying to position myself in the top 10 riders for the last lap and possibly try and compete in the sprint, unfortunately on the last corner before the sprint i hit a small stone, and my front wheel skipped out losing my wheel going wide on the corner, i could'nt catch it back and finished about 15m behind the winners.

Overall was another good race to learn a few things! I certainly positioned myself better at the pointy end of the race and got in a good position going into the sprint, and I am getting closer each week to the sprint and holding my own in corners much better!

http://www.strava.com/activities/116138344
iaintas

Postby cerb » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:24 pm

iaintas - good write up. Was the racing quite negative, or were you actually pulling hard and ripping peoples legs off so that they needed a break when you sat up?

If it's the latter, it sounds like you'll soon be knocking on the door of a promotion! Not much of the crit season to go though! :)
cerb

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Great reports guys
Xplora

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:35 pm

Just some advice for noobies racing! Just sit in (this is general) and see how your opponents ride/react in all of the different scenarios of your races for the first 3 or 4 racesd and then counteract that with a strategy! :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

PreviousNext

Return to Road Biking