Race Report Thread

For Roadies

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 25, 2014 5:10 am

Hey Tarquin, post up a photo of ya cage and biddon.

Next time you have a big break off the bike, don't do so much on the front. You need to build back up again, otherwise you just burn all your freshness up on the first ride back. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

by BNA » Sun May 25, 2014 6:39 am

BNA

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 25, 2014 6:39 am

Been a while but I finally finished a race in the bunch... Ok I missed the break but hey... Compared with the last 10 races this is a pretty big improvement!. Apart from that not much to report as it was a pretty dull 80ks with a couple of big teams controlling everything.
toolonglegs

Postby Tarquin » Sun May 25, 2014 9:58 am

foo on patrol wrote:Hey Tarquin, post up a photo of ya cage and biddon.

Next time you have a big break off the bike, don't do so much on the front. You need to build back up again, otherwise you just burn all your freshness up on the first ride back. :wink:

Foo

Happy to burn up my freshness if it brings back my fitness! I felt ruined last week after racing but this week I felt a lot better.

Bottle http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-jossanova ... er-bottle/

Cage http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-custom-ra ... ge-2014-1/
Tarquin

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 25, 2014 10:48 am

Ok I see, the cage is one of those silly extra light weight ones. (no offence) I have a 750ml bottles in a normal ally cage and it never moves, even when half empty. :)

The idea of not burning up your freshness on the first ride back, is to carry that little bit with you as you improve. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 25, 2014 10:50 am

Well it's a start TLL! :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby march83 » Sun May 25, 2014 12:15 pm

I run those cages on my super stiff alu race mtb and haven't managed to throw a 750mL bottle yet. maybe it's bent or warped or something?

today i raced for the first time in 6 months and took a beating out at penrith lakes. too many matches burnt early and i missed the break that stuck. oh well, great numbers for training purposes.
march83

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 25, 2014 1:10 pm

^^^ Bugger! :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby nickobec » Tue May 27, 2014 12:32 am

West Coast Masters
C Grade Road Race
Wandi
25 May 2014

on Strava

After my last WCMCC race, where I rode at the back of the bunch for almost the whole race, I was going to ride close to the front for as much as possible. Especially seeing it was a strong westerly, other than the climb up Bodeman Road was into a headwind, the rest of the race was in crosswinds, which was going to make the gentle climb up the exposed Lyon Road interesting.

First lap, sat behind the three Rider Choice riders as they attempted to control after the race. Which they did for the first of eight laps. Next lap a couple of other riders took over at the front, I stayed in the first six or so, until the last of the three little ramps on De Haas Road, the pace slowed. So I went to the front and rode hard. Not to get away, but to make it hard. After a couple of Ks I rolled off and slide back in the bunch.

The next lap at the back was interesting, I quickly identified the half dozen or so riders I wanted to be infront of before the sprint. I ended up on the brakes as often as when I rode WCMCC D grade on the same course last year, vowing never again. Today was no different with riders being unpredictable, particularly braking on the descents before the climbs up Bodeman Road.

On the fourth lap approaching the first climb up Bodeman Road, I could see Darren (who was riding his first WCMCC race, but races a grade above me at PDCC), another strong rider I recognised and two others get a small break. I was not going to let them get away and gave chase. Crested the first climb, at the head of the pursuing pack and got hit in the face by the headwind. Still, with another rider we dragged the four escapees back. Heading up Lyon Road, I was hurting and realised most would be in a similar state, so I attacked coming out of the roundabout.

Got a gap quickly, I was hoping another rider or two would join me. When nobody did, I adjusted my pace to survive four laps off the front solo. It took a few Ks, before the bunch decided I was not going to drop back and reacted.

Spent the next the next lap and a half moving around the bunch, reinforcing my view that the back of pack was not the place to be. I was close to the front early on the sixth lap when Darren and another rider attacked. I did not react, I wanted to watch what happened. One of the stronger riders went to the front and chased for most of a lap, without any help. Then at the end of seventh lap another team sent a rider to the front, who closed the gap with a fast turn.

The bunch then slowed, Bodeman Road was the usual chaos of riders on their brakes. So I over the big climb all 400m of it, and went to the front, accelerated hard on to Lyon and waited for another rider to come with me. When nobody did, I settled down to riding on the front, as nobody else wanted to. I made sure I was not pushing hard and everybody was putting in similar effort with the crosswind. My logic was I would be in the top half dozen down De Haas Road. So if the pace was slow, I could attack. And if the pace was up I would be in a good position for the sprint.

I swung on to De Haas Road, gave it a little dig, then slowed. A rider came past and I made the decision to jump on his wheel and if possible get off the front with him. First ramp I worked hard to get on his wheel, second ramp I struggled to stay on his wheel. Third ramp I was swallowed up by the fast moving bunch.

I ended up hanging on the back of the pack, trying to recover and then work my way forward. Which is not easy travelling at close to 50kph. In the last K, I had to touch the brakes a couple times as riders made unpredictable moves. Still ended up 22nd out of 30 finishers. It might of been a different story if I had not chased the rider up the final short ramps, but that was a decision I made.

After the race, I spoke to Darren. He was trying to convince me to join him in B grade in a couple of races time. He thinks I am strong enough. He also had the similar issues with unpredictable riders and the number of times he braked.

I think it will take me a couple more races, as I need to gain confidence in riding in bunches and get a willingness to ride closer to the front and defend my position in the group.
nickobec

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 27, 2014 1:13 am

Don't go up until you can solo off the front for the win :D .

foo on patrol wrote:Well it's a start TLL! :mrgreen: Foo

yeah it's a finish as well, decided that that was my last race till a TT on the 22nd of Sep, only really can do 1 or two more before I head off guiding but decided not to take the risk... pelotons of 120 on narrow roads are risky!. Was a pretty crap ( and short ) road race season for me... maybe next year!. Of course I am actually starting to feel the first whispers of form arriving :roll:
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Crap... Already questioning above statement ... Starting to feel good and that little Kermesse is looking oh so tempting!
toolonglegs

Postby foo on patrol » Thu May 29, 2014 8:36 am

Go on, you know ya wanna do it TLL. :D

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 30, 2014 1:55 am

I did, big field, missed the break ... thought it might come back together, it didn't. Still finished easily enough, not saying it was easy but also was never in difficulty, so basically a good training race :D .
toolonglegs

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 30, 2014 5:16 pm

You can't get any better training than a race, TLL. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby jules21 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:51 pm

raced Hawthorn Trophy at Northern Combine in South Gisborne, C grade. have had a hell couple of weeks at work and not ridden a lot, and it showed. 8 laps of the circuit and each time up the climb, i got a bit weaker, until i finally cracked. i spent two laps chasing back on with a few fellow pursuivants, but this just puts the nails in the cross as you arrive at the climb full of lactic acid.
jules21

Postby mrgolf » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:41 pm

CCC Queens Brithday triple race weekend - Race 1. A Grade - Stromlo - Condor Ck x2 - 88kms.

Started off nicely. Felt good on my new-ish steed in its first race in this company. There were some big hitters in the group, but I knew I could hold their wheels on my old heavier bike and saw no reason, other than having slightly stinging hammies, why I couldn't do at least the same today. First leg out to Condor was easy paced with a couple of little flurries that were easy enough to chase down. My legs weren't feeling as good as I hoped they would, but I was relishing the bigger climbs to come. Got to the top of Blue Range at the 20km mark and - CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK etc. Spoke snapped on my carbon clinchers and I'm out of the race. Mother Hubbard! Boo.

Tubs on for tomorrows race 3.

:cry:
mrgolf

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Cervelo s5
Giant Trinity Composite 1
http://www.crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au
thearthurdog

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:04 pm

An interesting comment at the end Thearturdog! My thoughts on it. He was to slack or slow to react and that is not your problem, good on you. :wink:

Do you train out along the Bell road at around 4.30 am? I see some riders, usually 3-4 out that way when coming across from Murgon in the truck.

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:10 pm

Yeah mate I can guarantee that is me that you see. I normally start very early. Often on my own, often in a small group. I do a LOT of training on the road between Dalby and Bell.

The coach is a really good mate of mine, so he can cop a ribbing from me!
Cervelo s5
thearthurdog

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:41 pm

How did you find the pace?... Bit easier than NRS?.
toolonglegs

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:47 pm

I wasn't actually racing NRS previously, just the Queensland Elite A calendar and some QRTS (I will still do some QRTS). Definitely a bit slower in Masters A compared to Elite A, but still very quick and competitive.
Cervelo s5
thearthurdog

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:04 pm

Next time I come across there and see the riders, I give a hit on the air horn as I get past and you will know it's me. :)

Foo
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Look forward to it! It'll be -4 on that road in a few weeks so if I don't wave its because i am frozen solid.
Cervelo s5
thearthurdog

Postby jules21 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Two days into the (Melb) Northern Suburbs 3 day Tour, C grade.

earlier on in the year i seemed to have good form, with some decent showings in Masters C state road races. but that seems to have slid a bit, probably due to not being able to ride as much lately with work pressures.

yesterday's stage 1 road race was hard - 4 laps of a course around Kyneton-Pastoria with a big hill. i felt like i was gonna pop, but luckily the 3rd lap was strangely done at an easy pace and i had enough to hang on for the last one. i even put in an attack with 4km to go but i was just mucking around, i didn't have the legs and was caught quickly.

this morning's 5km ITT was nothing to write home about - mid-field. i need to do some core-strength work to be able to breathe when in the tuck position.

this arvo's road race - i was hoping to hang on to the bunch and maybe snatch a top 10 on GC. it didn't start well - my legs felt heavy and i was stretching myself out to hold on over the rolling hills. strangely i started to feel slightly more comfortable once the longer hills started (course was a loop - 1st half gentle downhill, return uphill) - or maybe the pace came off? anyway at 70km a spoke popped and that was it. someone gave me a lift back. 'cos it was a mechanical i can start tomorrow's last stage - but i have to stay quiet (probably no choice!).
jules21

Postby dalai47 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Pity about the spoke but at least you can ride tomorrow. 3DT is a great local tour, only done it the once but will look at signing up next year!
dalai47

Postby mrgolf » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Jules, I feel your pain.
mrgolf

PreviousNext

Return to Road Biking