Race Report Thread

For Roadies

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby Xplora » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:29 pm

LMAO I just hate the frustration of those days, jules. You're just getting it again and again. 180km day is quite impressive, especially considering it wasn't supposed to go down that way :shock:
Xplora

by BNA » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:43 pm

BNA

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Nice work Jules :-)
toolonglegs

Postby jules21 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:22 am

thanks guys. Xplora - i was happy it didn't rain! seriously though, 31 km/h for a TT.. i was tired but that was disappointing..
jules21

Postby Cul » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:34 am

Jules,

I had to laugh when I saw your post; I use to live out that way (lara) so know the roads out thorough Little River, Ballaing, Anakie reasonably well - but it doesn't take much to get lost out there and even the "good" roads are fair showtime!!! As you said though, atleast it didn't rain!
Cul

Postby Xplora » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:25 am

jules21 wrote: i was happy it didn't rain!

CX practice? :lol:
Xplora

Postby jules21 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:54 pm

yeah guys it was a strange experience. we're a bit light-on with race reports..

today's race - Jack McGowan memorial Carnegie-Caulfield handicap. 100 km - off 15 mins.

i actually met Jack - back in the early 90s when i did a season or 2 racing with CCCC. he always seemed annoyed by me. i remember once i dropped my Factory Pilots in a road race and stopped to retrieve them. he was in the follow car and asked what i was doing. when i told him, he snorted in disgust and drove off. but he apparently served the club with distinction so here's to you Jack..

i felt pretty strong today and we set off rolling turns, as you do. there's always a few minutes as a few riders sort out the routine, but we soon got into the swing. we set a good pace for most of the first lap, but towards the end a number of our group started sitting in. we caught our first group towards the end of the lap, and from here things got chaotic. a few riders tried to shake them by lifting the pace, but most of us were feeling it by then and this put a lot of people - inc. me - in difficulty.

i rested up for a few minutes after chasing back on past dropped wheels, then started working again. by now there were only about 5 of us working out of a group of about 20 - so not good. by the 70km mark i was finished - probably hadn't eaten enough and i started sitting in. then we were caught by the scratch group of NRS riders so it was back on - trying to hold them. after we turned and hit crosswinds, a few people dropped wheels and i couldn't bridge up. the follow car overtook and i tried to catch its draft, but the driver gassed it to shake me! game over.

i started to feel nauseous and tapped out the last 15km solo. still averaged 38 km/h, which was OK i thought. and on my 6 yr old aluminium Apollo with Tiagra..
jules21

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:39 am

Good stuff Jules, that will toughen you up a bit with more efforts like that, pain is good. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby toppity » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:14 am

Well done Jules. That race goes past my house. It might be flat, but it is usually a hard race, so well done. Jack was a grumpy bloke, but he did a power of work for that club and cycling in general. He was a different bloke when you got him one on one. I once went to his place in Monash to pick up some singles he had fixed for me. His shed was amazing and we had a good chat.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.
toppity

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:24 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Good stuff Jules, that will toughen you up a bit with more efforts like that, pain is good. :mrgreen:

one of the blokes from Warragul kept yelling "how good is this? smashing ourselves on a Sunday arvo.. wouldn't have it any other way!"
toppity wrote:Well done Jules. That race goes past my house. It might be flat, but it is usually a hard race, so well done. Jack was a grumpy bloke, but he did a power of work for that club and cycling in general. He was a different bloke when you got him one on one. I once went to his place in Monash to pick up some singles he had fixed for me. His shed was amazing and we had a good chat.

i don't doubt it Toppity. i'm not one to judge a book by it's cover (i like to think). actions speak louder than words - i have lots of respect for guys like Jack who gave so much. i know others at other clubs who are similar - they don't get enough credit.
jules21

Previous

Return to Road Biking