Race Report Thread

jules21

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:25 am

thanks for the reports Vander and G-boaf. good reads. good luck g-boaf with the rest of your ride.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:24 am

jules21 wrote:thanks for the reports Vander and G-boaf. good reads. good luck g-boaf with the rest of your ride.

It has been tough, but fun too. Today was something else, riding the Passo della Erbe, Gardena, and Passo Sella. Really famous climbs the last two.

Yesterday, 16.2km, 1220m+

Simple really, start at the bottom, gas it to the top and then roll back down, trying not to freeze or get collected by a farm truck or a bus.

Today: 91.2km 3250m+, highest elevation 2240m, minimum 560m elevation:

The first climb of the day had a lot of false sections and mini descents at the start, but when it kicked up it was pretty vicious and very very long. Second climb was Passo Gardena and the third was Sella, both of them super famous. Sella is okay, nothing too difficult. The descents were neutral due to the perceived danger with traffic, and they were right - there were some idiots on the roads. Even with it being neutral I think everyone did go down there fast.

Cedric is still killing everyone overall.

woohoo

Postby woohoo » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:03 am

Sorry t see you dnf'd on stage 7 gboaf, you must be gutted.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:19 pm

woohoo wrote:Sorry t see you dnf'd on stage 7 gboaf, you must be gutted.

Let it go mate :|

Nice going g-boaf, you got to ride some great roads and iconic climbs and really live out a passion of yours. I'm sure it was an experience you'll never forget 8)
FPR Ragamuffin

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:48 pm

Yeah, it was great fun. Enjoyed it. The riding over there is better than anything anyone could imagine, and multiply it by three or four. Really didn't want to leave. I could easily live in Brixen or Innsbruck.

The last 60km of day 7 was an untimed procession anyhow for safety reasons (as was the final descent through all the narrow unlit tunnels). You don't have an obligation to start any particular day, and not everyone did do all the days even among the top riders.

Day six, the second last descent was possibly the most amazing of them all.

Definitely do it again next year too, as we all are.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm

after crashing out with a rear wheel coming loose in the drops type scenario 2 weeks ago, I entered to race again on Wed. I still had a little bit of that raw "I don't want to crash again" thought swirling around in my head and winning wasn't my focus as much as just staying upright.

the crash 2 weeks ago occurred under max. power out of a bottom corner where we ascend a hill and you need to accelerate as hard as you can. I pulled the rear wheel out, which I obviously hadn't properly secured. at least, that was the only explanation I could conjure. the wheel was definitely secured this time - all that remained was for me to prove that there wasn't another, unresolved cause.

about 4 laps in the rear slid through the corner and I thought "unbelievable!" then I realised it was flat. turned out to be glass. all good! changed the wheel and rejoined the race a few laps later. boy was I tentative around that corner though..

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:20 pm

jules21 wrote: I pulled the rear wheel out, which I obviously hadn't properly secured. at least, that was the only explanation I could conjure. the wheel was definitely secured this time - all that remained was for me to prove that there wasn't another, unresolved cause.

I find your can mentally recover your confidence when you can figured out what needs to be improved or fixed. Not so for the unexplainable, particularly when descending is involved.

Return to “Road Biking”