EON - goes racing.....

For Roadies

EON - goes racing.....

Postby eon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:13 pm

20110403 : Division 3 : Macarthur Open Criteriums: Top 15 Finish ( Smeaton Grange )
20110130 : B Grade : Waratah Masters Enduro: 1st Place - also won the prime ( EC Dragway )
20110123 : B Grade : Waratah Masters : 3rd Place ( EC Raceway )

20101219 : B Grade : Tempo Cup : Top 10 Finish ( EC Raceway )
20100919 : B Grade : Southern Hemisphere Cup : 1st Place ( EC Raceway )
20100711 : C Grade : Caravello Cup : Bunch - back of the bunch Finish ( EC Raceway )
20100620 : MMAS : NSW Club Team Time Trials : 1h:06m:34s for PENRITH9 (AT) 33.2km/h avg Finish ( Somersby )
20100509 : B Grade : Eddie Salas Cup : Bunch Finish ( EC Raceway )
20100418 : B Grade : Waratah Masters : 2nd Place ( EC Raceway )
20100321 : C Grade : Waratah Masters : 1st Place ( Lansdowne )
20100308 : B Grade : Marconi : Bunch Finish ( EC Raceway )
20100228 : C Grade : Waratah Masters Enduro : 1st Place - also won the prime. ( EC Dragway )
20100223 : C Grade : Marconi : 1st Place ( EC Raceway )
20100209 : C Grade : Marconi : 2nd Place ( EC Raceway )
20100131 : C Grade : Waratah Masters : 2nd Place - also won the prime. ( EC Raceway )

20090913 : D Grade : Waratah Masters : 1st Place ( EC Raceway )
Last edited by eon on Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 32 times in total.
eon

by BNA » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:14 pm

BNA

Re: eon - goes racing.....

Postby eon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:14 pm

My first race was actually in September 2009. Took a 1 day pass and raced 'D' grade.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6896&start=3100#p266432
I havent raced since then...

But I finally got my license a week ago, so decided to join the Waratah Race at Eastern Creek.
Was a little unsure if i was to race when i got to eatern creek. It was drizzling hence the track was wet.
Signed up and was told I was to join 'C' grade... =)

There was no FootPath Racers in sight. I would have liked to see familiar faces. Luis was there but he decided not to race due to the weather.

Initial pace was not big. I think everyone was a little uneasy due to the wet grounds hence was a steady start. First bend as i pushed, the back gave way very slightly. Lesson #1 - 120psi and wet grounds dont mix :cry: . First pass on the hair pin, I took it really easy and just before the exit i decided to power it down to keep up with the others, big mistake. The back gave way big time :shock: .... DOORIFT on a pushbike... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... I think Anthony/KillerHeadWind was behind me. I heard someone say "Be carfeul there mate".. I knew then corners are going to be a problem :evil: . I didnt want to cause any accidents, so everytime we approached the hairpin I made sure i'm in the top 10 so i can take it easy on the turn. At the end of the turn most guys would have passed me, hence had to fight back for the position.

A couple of breakways of which I beleive KillerHeadwind was in. The group did eventually catch them though. :)

Then there was a wisstle.
I actually had to ask one of the guys at the beginning of the race what a prime was. The orginiser was saying something about it on the PA prior to start and I initially didnt know what it was.. lol...
I was 50/50 if i should go for the mid sprint. Even before the back straight i was still undecisive. By the top of the straight there was about 4 guys infront of me. Front 2 were about 30+meters away. But I though bugger it, head down bum up and just put my foot down. The sun was casting a long shadow forward, hence i decided not to be behind the guys going for it but instead on the side. When they realised that i was going for the Prime, I was carrying quite a bit of speed already. One stood up to contest but i had good speed and passed them before the line. I clocked 63.2km/h.

wohhoooooo... though extremely happy, I was shattered at this point and took about 1.5 lap to recover.

On the last lap the pace picked up. A few guys started to fight for position. After the last couple of turns i found myself in 3rd place. Last turn before the straight #1 & #2 dont seem to be kicking as much. Was waiting for people to kick around us but noone did, so i thought all the sprinters are waiting to get closer. As I got to the top of the last hill and on to the straight I put my foot down and thought, bugger it - I got the Prime hence at least i'm finishing this race with something -- "Lets see if i can hold off the sprinters".... Once again head down bum up and worked as hard as i can from the top of the straight. Carried 55+ pretty much all the way. Then I see a wheel on my right hand side, very slowly creeping up. Legs started to really burn. Kept telling myself " Just a few seconds more"... =)

He got me about 3 seconds before the line :cry: doooohhhh...
So 2nd for me... Congratz on the other fellow.
Hey, we atleast held off the sprinters... =)

Really happy with the results. Will def be racing some more... :D
Last edited by eon on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eon

Postby aeroslave » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:00 pm

Congrats mate 8) . Awesome second race....Told ya 120psi was a bit much for wet tracks. Sadly for me I had to find out the hard way on my stack....

Hope to see you next Sunday. If the weather is dry that is. No point telling my wife the motorcycle is just as safe as the pushy if I stack the bike again :lol:

By the way...you held off the other sprinters...you are a sprinter! :D A very good one indeed! 8)

Cheerio!
aeroslave

Postby Chuck » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Congrats Ehly 8)

eon wrote:20100131 : C Grade : Waratah Masters : 2nd Place - also won the prim.

I'm a little confused though mate nothing new I know Waratahs website says that you won :? :?

eon wrote:"Lets see if i can hold off the sprinters"....

Hey, we atleast held off the sprinters... =)

If you're NOT a sprinter then the rest of us FPR crew must be donkeys :P
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby ruscook » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:47 pm

Nice report, well done Ehly, it seems this racing stuff is addictive - once you start you can't stop.... :lol:
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad
ruscook

Postby Spiza » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:05 pm

Chuck wrote:I'm a little confused though mate nothing new I know Waratahs website says that you won

Congratulations on the win Ehly :lol:
Spiza

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:17 pm

Congrats on the win and the upgrade to B :D
toolonglegs

Postby eon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:19 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:Congrats mate 8) . Told ya 120psi was a bit much for wet tracks.

I should have listened and let the air out prior. Could have been a bad one especially the first lap hairpin.

Chuck wrote:I'm a little confused though mate nothing new I know Waratahs website says that you won :? :?

I'm confused too. I definetely did not take 1st.
http://www.waratahvcc.asn.au/resultsdyn ... tno=201005
Also why is it that everyone else is Firstname Lastname in that list.. I'm Lastname then first ??? :shock:

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:...you held off the other sprinters...you are a sprinter!

Chuck wrote:If you're NOT a sprinter then the rest of us FPR crew must be donkeys :P

Ok let me clarify this... I meant other sprinters... :lol: :lol: :lol: I ended up on 1st position at the top of the hill hence I didnt know what to do, and noone would come around. I think I paniced and momentary stupidity tried to sprint the entire stretch instead. LOL... :lol: :lol:
Next time I will defenitely wait and save the legs for the last 100meters.
:D
eon

Postby aeroslave » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Mate get used to the inaccuracies with the Vets results....I have seen mistakes that would make Mugabe blush...it's actually good they did not forget togive the bell this time. :-)
aeroslave

Postby Stu192 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:53 pm

Ehly,

Not sure if you know, but photos of all grades available on:

http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/Photo.htm

cheers
Stu

ps - sounds like we will see you in B grade next week!
Stu192

Postby Spiza » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:48 pm

Spiza

Postby twizzle » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:00 pm

eon wrote:
Chuck wrote:I'm a little confused though mate nothing new I know Waratahs website says that you won :? :?

I'm confused too. I definetely did not take 1st.
http://www.waratahvcc.asn.au/resultsdyn ... tno=201005

Prime (pronounced 'preem') crits are points based, so you probably took enough points to take the win with your first in a prime sprint and second in the final lap.

I raced today, took two prime sprints but missed the bell for the final lap and didn't contest the final sprint... yet still finished fourth overall.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby zozza » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:08 pm

Onya Ehly, Great effort mate :D

You did well to hold them all off (bar one) from the very top of the hill, Helluva sprint ehly, about 600 metres :lol:
zozza

Postby eon » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:51 pm

Thanks for the link stu..

lol.... i think i did drop my lung a few meters back...
this is what it looked like from the top of the hill - pretty much all the way down.
http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/739%2 ... 89_thm.htm
up to about 3-5 seconds to the line, it changed to this
http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/739%2 ... 91_thm.htm

Some observation .. Looking at the final pic, the winner have a nice arched back. hmmm.. i dont.. :|
should i put my head down more.. possibly my bar too close ?? or my seat is too far forward ??? interesting ?
maybe its time to properly get fitted to my bike ??

Have a look at eddy ..
http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/739%2 ... 99_thm.htm

twizzle wrote:Prime (pronounced 'preem') crits are points based, so you probably took enough points to take the win with your first in a prime sprint and second in the final lap.

sooo technically, I came first ??? :o ... woooohooooo... LOL. :lol: :lol: hahahah.

zozza wrote:Helluva sprint ehly, about 600 metres :lol:

am not doing that ever again... :lol:
eon

Postby Chuck » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:12 am

twizzle wrote:Prime (pronounced 'preem') crits are points based, so you probably took enough points to take the win with your first in a prime sprint and second in the final lap.

It was a graded scratch race and I don't think the prime counts toward the result. I've been wrong before though....
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Re: EON - goes racing.....

Postby twizzle » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:25 am

Well, in my club they award 2/1 points for first/second in each prime and then 3/2/1 for first/second/third in the final lap. Final outcome determined by points, and then normal club points assigned to the finish order. Lots of clubs just do money for prime sprints... but this is Vets after all.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby leximack » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 pm

awesome effort Ehly well done.
I was hoping to get out there for a spin but my body refused to wake up at that crazy hour, so i slept in :lol:

Was it raining during the race? or just still wet from overnight rain?

That hairpin right hand downhill corner towards the end of the lap is really bad in the wet, seen lots of people slide off there.

Don
leximack

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Waratah Vets have never in my memory had mid race sprint points count for the end result...and pretty sure some things never change.Well except all these youngsters now racing vets! :lol: .
toolonglegs

Postby Chuck » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:40 pm

twizzle wrote:Lots of clubs just do money for prime sprints

Yep, they do !
FPR Ragamuffin
Chuck

Postby eon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Raced at EC today with the Marconi Club. I was almost a non-starter. Took the bike out of the car and tried to put on the front wheel and the nut for the QR is missing. :cry: Looked in the car, under the car and turned everything upside down in the car and nowhere to be found. Luckily the guy next to me had a spare wheelset in the car and he was kind enough to lend one to me.. Thanks again mate - I'm sorry :oops: I cannot remember your name.. I'm bad with names. I think it was John ???

Finally got onto the track for a bit of warm up. No FPR in site, except for Dazza. He didnt look to well due to a cold... Still he raced... thats HTFU... BTW thanks Dazza for lending me the QR bit after the race so I can ride with the FPR. :)

When the race started, my first impression was that the pace seem quicker. I was feeling like i had to work harder in this bunch in comparison to the Waratah Vets. Prob because there was a lot of guys possibly younger than I am. :?

There was a few breakaways. A few surges too. I took a few turns at the front to help out chasing breaks. Was still feeling pretty good though and try to tuck in behind the bigger fellows when possible.

2 laps to go and there was a breakaway just after the straight..... he slowly gapped us but noone seem to want to chase .. :oops: including myself. was saving it for the sprint. Towards the last bend the one man breakaway atleast about 50 meters in front. At the end of the race he was much closer - but good on him for holding on to the break - he took out first place.

In the end it was a bunch sprint. :D I followed the guys who i thought and looked like strong riders. No sprinting from the top of the hill for me. I learnt my lesson from last week. Waited till its about 300 meters to the line - i was about 5th or 6th at this stage. Then I went for it. Clocked 66.4km/h in the end and took out the bunch sprint. The one man breakaway was a tad bit far. In the end he was about 5-10meters away from us when we crossed the line.

I enjoyed the race today. It felt harder than Warath Vets. :)
Will go for more :)
eon

Postby NotFlyingScot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:23 am

eon wrote:I enjoyed the race today. It felt harder than Warath Vets. :)
Will go for more :)

Well done again Ehly. I agree the marconi racing sometimes feels a bit harder than the "vet's on Sunday . Particularly when on the WSID circuit with all the 90 degree corners to accelerate out of on every lap. More chance of coming up against real young turks in the open event I suppose.
NFS
FPR Jubilado Bludger
NotFlyingScot

Postby aeroslave » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:44 pm

jumping Jupiter Ehly..by the rate you are going you will be on A grade with Eddie soon! Great going... Keep it up!
aeroslave

Postby leximack » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:58 pm

well done Ehly, going great
I rode with Ehly for a bit on the footpath Tuesday night and he has a bl00dy good sprint on him, can see why he is up there.
B grade for you, another few podiums and they will kick you out whether you want to or not :lol:

Don
leximack

Postby Spiza » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:13 pm

I think I know what happeded to your skewer nut Ehly. Someone pinched it while you were unloading to stop you from kicking there arse. I reckon it was one of those slow Penrith guys. You might need to arrange security guards for next week :D

Great result mate :D
Spiza

Postby eon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:jumping Jupiter Ehly..by the rate you are going you will be on A grade with Eddie soon! Great going... Keep it up!

lol.. A grade :shock: .. in my dreams maybe... :lol: :lol: :lol: you going to salas ride on sat ?

Spiza wrote:I think I know what happeded to your skewer nut Ehly. Someone pinched it while you were unloading to stop you from kicking there arse. I reckon it was one of those slow Penrith guys.

am sure them Penrith guys wont do that to their fellow Penrith Club member.. :wink: :lol:

leximack wrote:B grade for you, another few podiums and they will kick you out whether you want to or not :lol:
Don

I think B grade passed/lapped us during the race. Them guys are going quick, not really keen joining them just yet..

The SS been helping with the legs... its hella fun chasing on one gear... but i'm pretty sure that its the TFPR runs thats improved my fitness. Like what Sandy said, its 40 or so minutes of pain at the track in comparison to over 2hours of pain with the FPR.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just follow Spiza up the equestrian and its guaranteed your heart will feel like exploding afterwards.

see you guys next week... or maybe sunday at Waratah Vets... :D
eon

Next

Return to Road Biking