EON - goes racing.....

ruscook

Re: EON - goes racing.....

Postby ruscook » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Chuck wrote:Just looked at the results 8)

You are a weapon mate, congrats :D

Can't wait for the RR :idea:
They're up already? That's good work.

Yes two FPRs did us (and more importantly themselves) proud today. Was some good racing.

Ehli played his cards very well through the whole race and took a well deserved win.

Sandy had a strong return to racing with a podium as well.

Congrats guys - Con
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

eon

Postby eon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:46 pm

ruscook wrote: They're up already? That's good work.
Yes two FPRs did us (and more importantly themselves) proud today. Was some good racing.
Ehli played his cards very well through the whole race and took a well deserved win.
Congrats guys - Con
Who the heck in CON ? lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Good to see you guys out there..
was tough race... i got 38.2avg in the end over almost 75kms..
Congratz to Sandy too .. hes consistently there.. :D

cheers chucky... how did you go on the ITT. I heard Shaun took out 3rd in A... nice one.. :D Will write up RR shortly. :)

zozza

Postby zozza » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:01 pm

You're a Bad-ass Ehly 8)

Congrats mate, great win :D

eon

Postby eon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:27 pm

What a race at the Enduro today. 38.2kh/h over almost 75km..

Initial plan of going for a breakaway didn't actually eventuated. Got to chat to pakman and rogan but we decided not to go for it. 1. we didn't have enough numbers and 2. there are too many strong riders in B.
Early on the race I decided to test the waters. I put in a couple of kick after the tunnel to see who would follow.. After taking the bottom corner aggressively, I got a slight gap from the field. Not big but it shows that its possible. If there was 6-8 riders attacking at that spot, we can take them corners and gap the field. I noticed that riding MID pack sux... braking approaching corners is a pain, whereas riding front 10 - there is no need to brake, just hit the corners smoothly...

The bike was rolling beautifully today. for the first time i used 100psi front and 110psi back. I had intentions on attacking from the tunnel and hit the corners hard, hence needed more grip. I noticed, yes it was nice in the corners and i was confident to lean right over - and while pps were pedaling out i was still freewheeling, but the surprise was on the downhill before the roundabout, i could roll right to mid / up the hill, while others we're pedaling :D :D :D .. What the ??? the only thing different was my tyre pressure - typically i run 120 front and back... BTW i'm running tubeless hence i can go lower pressure... :?:

I put in a couple of efforts to chase a mini break and short stints at the front when it was my turn. At the wistle for the prime, i was 5th or 6th wheel. So i decided that i would go for it. Hold position and go all out for the sprint. Wasnt sure if i had the endurance to wait till the end hence I'll take what i can.... Final corner beofre the straight i was still 5th wheel and with 300 to go went chasing/passing ... ohh yeahhhhh. 8) :D .. Got it..... but got wasted... Shattered actually..

I was struggling to keep wheel and by the carpark, i was spat out from the front and i was rolling on the back half of the bunch. Thank GOD A GRADE rolled through and got mixed in with B. We had no choice but to low right down.... :D :) :wink: ..... all the way to the straight as we let A pass us... awesome timing A grade... took another 3 laps for the legs to finally recover... popped in an ENDURO gell to get a bit of a sugar kick, only to splatter it all over my hands and onto my shifters... :twisted: :twisted: bloody annoying..

with 3 or so laps to go I found myself at the front chasing a small break. ok i'll put in the effort but am not staying here too long, but as i pull off to the side - everyone followed. what ???? pulled off further, everyone followed again............... as we approached the tunnel, i then decided to go for a hit instead.. a short one of course - just to wake em up... lol :lol: :lol: :lol: , as i slowed down, they then past me.... lol.. thanks... I pretty much sat at top 10 for the rest of the race.

2 laps to go and there was a 1 man breakaway. he gapped the group pretty well and the group wasn't chasing as hard. They pretty much left him out there. Last lap and he was still out. Through the carpark and he was still out. Before the round about and hes still about 50meters away, even onto the final straight he was away. I thought ok, we were racing for second - I dont mind as i got a PRIME already. So got myself ready, clicked up to an easier gear to get ready, and get an initial jump. I think i was on 53x17 when i started the sprint. Quickly passed a couple of pps, then as i started to wind up, down comes the taller gears.. =) At this point i was thinking -- hell yeah i can actually place in this race. Head down bum up and sprinted like theres no tomorrow. I then realised that we're carrying so much speed that the 1 man breakaway was about to get swamped.. :shock: :shock: :D yeah yeah...

as i went pass #1 my quads started to cramp, at the same time someone in red was creeping on my left side. Nooooooooooooooo.. I want this, I want this bad.... dammit... i decided to lean forward and start pulling up to give the quads a rest.. he was creeping, creeping, but i was still in front by a wheel.... noooooooo :( . After a few revolutions with 30meters to go i switched back to quads for a final kick...... Got em !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wohooooooooooo ...

as i powered off to cruise back to the pits, my quads twitched and cramped, along with my right calves... i had to shake it off before it goes to lock mode.....
It was good to see the FPRs out there too... :D and congratz to Sandy for taking out 3rd... :D

What a race !!!!!!

ruscook

Postby ruscook » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:27 pm

eon wrote:
ruscook wrote: They're up already? That's good work.
Congrats guys - Con
Who the heck in CON ? lol :lol: :lol: :lol: Good to see you guys out there..
was tough race... i got 38.2avg in the end over almost 75kms..
Congratz to Sandy too .. hes consistently there.. :D

cheers chucky... how did you go on the ITT. I heard Shaun took out 3rd in A... nice one.. :D Will write up RR shortly. :)
Nice report Ehli Here's Con - my alter ego, the fruit basket carrying FPR :wink:

Cool other's were also in the hunt.... God it's gonna hurt next time I ride with the FPRs :oops: :shock:
GT Avalanche 1.0 | TCR Alliance 0 | Giant Bowery | BMW K1300R
Two wheels good, Four wheels bad

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Top job eon. Seems you didn't need the breakaway :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:43 pm

Now you're cookin with gas! :mrgreen:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toppity

Postby toppity » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:22 pm

Great work Eon, Prime and the win...can't do more than that :D
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

rogan

Postby rogan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:43 pm

Yep - as Mike said, you don't need a breakaway. I didn't see you after the race - but congratulations.

My report, not too much to add, but here goes.

A BIG bunch, 45 riders the website says, seemed like more at the start.

Pace was consistent, with hardly any slow laps (after lap 1), but several faster laps. The prime lap was faster as were the next 2 laps. Then things returned to normal, and we then had another 2 very quick laps.

I sat mid-pack until just before the prime, then in the front third after that. I had a whirl with about 4 laps to go, with a strong bloke in green and white, but seriously, it is impossible to get off the front of that bunch. You'd need to average 41 for 2 laps, and if you can do that...

I went to the back with a lap to go (not deliberately, the pace slowed and The Others were going round the outside), although I thought it was only the middle, so I reckon we had shelled about 15. Then at the bottom corner, yes, a rider went down, and another bloke landed on top of him. I didn't see it, I just saw people going straight and braking hard. I was badly obstructed, and didn't finish the race. The first guy who fell was in a bad way, and couldn't move off the track, so a couple of us were waving at A Grade. He was saying he couldn't breathe and he couldn't get up, so broken collar bone or rib I reckon. Hope it's nothing more than that.

Eventually they came with the medical kit, so I went.

I'll try to get out there again on Tuesday. After two races in 5 days, I quite like WSID.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:52 pm

Nice race guys! Congrats to Ehly ey....I woke up around 11am or so. Saw the results. Ha! Initially i thought the top 5 was the breakaway group :-). Ehly is making this look so easy. I think a double on an Enduro is really something else on a very balanced B grade. 47 riders too. Great detailed report too i might say.

I would have wanted to race this morning. As I read this I'm finishing my 4th nighshift in a row he he he he...envious you guys were able to race on a beautiful sunday while I was snoring :lol:
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:56 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:I think a double on an Enduro is really something else on a very balanced B grade. 47 riders too.

Great detailed report too i might say.
+1 Lou :D

Ehly has made big improvements in a short period of time on the bike 8) He really proves the adage of "quality over quantity" as he doesn't ride as many km's as alot of FPR's over the course of a year. The one thing you do notice whenever you see Ehly on the cycleway (outside of the regular Tue night ride) is how hard he's always working. That hard work is paying off in spades :twisted:

The other thing is that Ehly is a quick take, his riding and racing skills are first class. He knows where to position himself in a race and quickly identifies the stronger riders, and he always rides near the front :idea: . He isn't just good physically but also tactically, this has enabled him to be successful right from his very first race :D

I know whenever someone has some success we always call for them to go up a grade. This is often said in jest, but in Ehly's case (as Lou has said said that's 2 wins in big and very competitive fields over the longer haul) A grade really does look like the next step. He's a modest guy and he'll play it down, but he won't be disgraced in that company :D

I appear to be gushing :oops:

Just in case you're all a little sick after reading that :P
FPR Ragamuffin

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Chuck wrote: I appear to be gushing :oops:
Just in case you're all a little sick after reading that :P
I think it's just a "boy crush" thing with Chuck. I'm sure he'll grow out of it when he's a bit older and discovered girls :P
FPR Jubilado Bludger

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Bro-mance, perhaps?

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Congrats EON!

looking forward to the enduro on 13/2
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:17 pm

goneriding wrote:Bro-mance, perhaps?

What happens on Razorback stays on Razorback :oops:
FPR Ragamuffin

Loosenutt

Postby Loosenutt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm

Awesome effort Ehly :!: :!:
I hope there are wheels to suck in Brisbane :P

eon

Postby eon » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks pps - was a good race and was feeling good .. must have been the back massage the day before. ( lower back injuries never heals :( :cry: :x )..
funny thing is last time i had a proper back massage was in Feb2010 on a sat - then went to win prime & race at the DRAGWAY in C on sunday ( with Lu & Shauns help ).... :lol: :lol:
mikesbytes wrote:Top job eon. Seems you didn't need the breakaway :)
rogan wrote:Yep - as Mike said, you don't need a breakaway
the break isnt for me.. its for the team... :) I still would like to see a break stick and hopefully be part of it. Who cares who places, if anything lets cross the line at the same time and confuse the Commissionaire ... lol.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rogan wrote:The prime lap was faster as were the next 2 laps. Then things returned to normal, and we then had another 2 very quick laps.
That was a killer. I was struggling to keep wheel and was slowly getting spat out the back half -- until A grade mixed in with us and slowed it down.. phewww.
Chuck wrote:
goneriding wrote:Bro-mance, perhaps?
sorry chuck, but I'm already taken.... lol.. :lol: does your wifey know about this ? :?: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind words mate. I still stand by what i've said before. Following spiza on a hard TNFPR session is a lot harder and more painful than racing. Cant forget the times when it cranks up to 40+ going up the EQ.. all we can do is try hold on and hopefully not vomit... 2 weeks ago heading Preston on a headwind from eliz at 45ish side by side w/ spiza --> it was a lot of pain, to the point i couldn't ride beside him :x and had to suck wheel to hold on (don can atest to this - he was behind me...). :D now thats training !!!!!

When i get back - will def have a dig at A --> still would like to get an organized B grade break away in flight 8) . It can be done, and after racing on the weekend i would say Dragway might actually be a better venue than RACEWAY - due to sharper corners. There is always a breakaway in A grade, and if your not used to riding in a break then your only racing for a place, and not for a win.

Unfortunately i've never ridden in a breakaway, in any of the races :? .

Pakman

Postby Pakman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: the rider who crashed on final lap and could not get up. It was announced at the LACC SOP session this morning that Joe Walsh sufferred 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung. As of this morning - he was still in hospital.

rogan wrote:Yep - as Mike said, you don't need a breakaway. I didn't see you after the race - but congratulations.

My report, not too much to add, but here goes.

A BIG bunch, 45 riders the website says, seemed like more at the start.

Pace was consistent, with hardly any slow laps (after lap 1), but several faster laps. The prime lap was faster as were the next 2 laps. Then things returned to normal, and we then had another 2 very quick laps.

I sat mid-pack until just before the prime, then in the front third after that. I had a whirl with about 4 laps to go, with a strong bloke in green and white, but seriously, it is impossible to get off the front of that bunch. You'd need to average 41 for 2 laps, and if you can do that...

I went to the back with a lap to go (not deliberately, the pace slowed and The Others were going round the outside), although I thought it was only the middle, so I reckon we had shelled about 15. Then at the bottom corner, yes, a rider went down, and another bloke landed on top of him. I didn't see it, I just saw people going straight and braking hard. I was badly obstructed, and didn't finish the race. The first guy who fell was in a bad way, and couldn't move off the track, so a couple of us were waving at A Grade. He was saying he couldn't breathe and he couldn't get up, so broken collar bone or rib I reckon. Hope it's nothing more than that.

Eventually they came with the medical kit, so I went.

I'll try to get out there again on Tuesday. After two races in 5 days, I quite like WSID.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

eon wrote:There is always a breakaway in A grade, and if your not used to riding in a break then your only racing for a place, and not for a win.

Unfortunately i've never ridden in a breakaway, in any of the races :? .
Congratulations Ehly.

The break in A will show you a new level of pain - well assuming one of the big three is driving it.

Look forward to riding with you in the future.

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:03 pm

pakman wrote:

Re: the rider who crashed on final lap and could not get up. It was announced at the LACC SOP session this morning that Joe Walsh sufferred 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung. As of this morning - he was still in hospital.
Poor bloke - we thought he was winded at first, but he was more than winded... his bike was on top of him, he was unclipped and just couldn't move at all. He was saying someone had bumped his front wheel through the corner. Not the bloke who landed on him. I hope he gets better soon.

Wasn't Joe Walsh in that Lansdowne crash with you last year?

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

rogan wrote: Wasn't Joe Walsh in that Lansdowne crash with you last year?
Poor Joe. He's only back racing about three weeks after the Lansdowne incident.
FPR Jubilado Bludger

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:00 pm

ft_critical wrote:The break in A will show you a new level of pain - well assuming one of the big three is driving it.
Who's the 3rd?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:
ft_critical wrote:The break in A will show you a new level of pain - well assuming one of the big three is driving it.
Who's the 3rd?
Eddy of course... :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Pakman wrote:Re: the rider who crashed on final lap and could not get up. It was announced at the LACC SOP session this morning that Joe Walsh sufferred 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung. As of this morning - he was still in hospital.
Been there - nasty. Sorry to hear that Joe, take it easy
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

eon

Postby eon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Pakman wrote:Re: the rider who crashed on final lap and could not get up. It was announced at the LACC SOP session this morning that Joe Walsh sufferred 3 broken ribs and a punctured lung. As of this morning - he was still in hospital.
oh bugger !!!!! didn't think much of it on the day. someone said 2 riders went down and all was ok. :(
poor guy.. hope no complications and he heals quick..
ft_critical wrote:The break in A will show you a new level of pain
looking forward to it..... :? i think. :)