EON - goes racing.....

For Roadies

EON - goes racing.....

Postby Spiza » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 am

ft_critical wrote:
Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:
ft_critical wrote:The break in A will show you a new level of pain - well assuming one of the big three is driving it.

Who's the 3rd?

Eddy of course... :wink:

GTR :-)
Spiza

by BNA » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:55 pm

BNA

Re: EON - goes racing.....

Postby ludachris » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:55 pm

eon wrote:The bike was rolling beautifully today. for the first time i used 100psi front and 110psi back
eon wrote:i was still freewheeling, but the surprise was on the downhill before the roundabout, i could roll right to mid / up the hill, while others we're pedaling .. What the ??? the only thing different was my tyre pressure - typically i run 120 front and back

Great read but have a question running lower tyre pressure can make you go faster ? I can under stand for grip because more of the tyre is touching the road but I would think a higher pressure would let you roll faster less resistance, I have had people tell me this before but they could not explain, I all ways run my tyres at max.
ludachris

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:04 pm

In EON's case, its the switch to tubeless, the rolling resistance of the tubes has been removed.

For others its about getting the optimum point between reducing the drag of the tyre/tube and not losing energy bouncing over the micro bumps, which a softer inflation will permit the tyre to fold around
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby eon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:39 pm

Macarthur Open Criteriums

Raced Division 3 today and it hurt. It hurt a lot. :(
I can see that there was a few A graders in the mix. It was going to be a tough race. Young Nicholas was able to get a day pass and joined the race. Shaun and his mate Matt was in there too... It was a pretty big group.

First corner was neutral zone, and first lap was an avg of 35, and thats about where that ends :shock: . 2nd lap was avg of 43. :shock: farrrrkkkk.. and it stayed that way pretty much all the way through with an overall 42.5km/h. I was uneasy with the circuit. I've never been there and me bike was wearing new shoes ( deep dish tubulars ).... I wasn't sure what pressure tubs run on and after asking a couple of pps they said that it should be in the 140-160 mark...I was running 120 - which i thought was high as normally i only run 110 on my tubeless clinchers. Eventually i just had to trust it and just went for it.

As the race went on, i started to find confidence in the wheels but the pace was just ridiculous - we'll for me anyway. I find myself struggling just to stay in the bunch :x :evil: Wisstle for the prime went and the pace picked right up, I could not get to the front to even just see who wins what and whos contesting.. I was struggling :x - then after the prime an attack started :evil: :cry: , and this lap hurt me the most. I soon realized that Shaun was in the break.. Nice one - and that will suit hes riding style so will sit in the pack and not want to chase... not that i was in any shape to chase anyway.. The gap to the break started to stretch - there were chases but no could bridge it. Nicholas tried but could not bridge it either. Sorry Nic, I could not help ya bridge, i really was struggling :(

With about 6 laps to go I blew up. I was prob top 10 in the bunch and ended up at the back almost spat out... I just could not hold wheel. :oops:
Managed to hold on to the back of the bunch and just hoping i could finish in this race. with about 4 to go i recovered, and trying to work my way back to the front of the bunch. I got up to about top 5 of the bunch in the last 2 laps, but on the last lap, there was a surge on the right and a few riders past us. :evil: :twisted: arghhh.. bugger. Was back a few spot or so.. Last couple of corners i manage to gain a few position and on the final straight I was nowhere close to the front but gave it a sprint anyways - got past a few pps on the sprint and finished in the top 15 overall.

4 Man break away sticked 8) 8) 8) .. 1 guy bridged the gap and ended up winning the race. Congratz to Shaun for placing 3rd.)

That was hella tough... That race was an eyeopener for me.

I need to get my ar$e into gear and do some proper structured training.
eon

Postby aeroslave » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 am

Still congrats for the effort mate considering the circumstances.

Btw...I would like that structured training....I'll join you when i can
aeroslave

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:48 am

Good racing EON. I was graded in Div 4, and it was a lazy 40.0kph ave speed. In hind sight I should of been in Div 3 with you :wink:
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heliage » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Nice one Ehly

No problems Ehly :D :D, almost had the group when the guy on the back punctured and the work from Saturday came back to hurt. :(

Congrats to Shaun for the break, they stayed away for pretty much the whole race.

Was good training and good experience for first race back :).
To hurt less on a hill is to do it quicker
heliage

Postby eon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:44 am

mikesbytes wrote:Good racing EON. I was graded in Div 4, and it was a lazy 40.0kph ave speed. In hind sight I should of been in Div 3 with you :wink:

i thought i saw your name in the DIV4 starting list.. lol.. what we're you doing there ... :)
I entered on the day and thought if some mates are in DIV3 - i'll just join them.. Although they're in A grade normally. I should have gone DIV4... :P

heliage wrote:Was good training and good experience for first race back

mate - that was a sufferfest.. :? :D
eon

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:02 pm

I'm assuming you read my race report :roll:
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby eon » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:35 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'm assuming you read my race report :roll:

lol.. was just stirring .. :P :lol: you racing on the 17th EC ?
eon

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:35 pm

I think the 17th clashes with my club race, so I'll have to make a decision. I'll probably be a bit rooted on the 17th as on the 16th I have my hi performance spin class in the morning and then instructor spin training at lunchtime
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby aeroslave » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 pm

Saw Emman with a big backpack LOL. Wonder where he got that from :lol:
aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I think the 17th clashes with my club race, so I'll have to make a decision. I'll probably be a bit rooted on the 17th as on the 16th I have my hi performance spin class in the morning and then instructor spin training at lunchtime

go for the ECR instead :-) its only 1 day missed with the spin class :D
aeroslave

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:16 pm

But I get paid to do the spin class :wink:
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby aeroslave » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:11 pm

mikesbytes wrote:But I get paid to do the spin class :wink:

In that case....Spin Class it is! :D
aeroslave

Postby eon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:06 am

ok better late than never..

Why is it that i cant edit the first page anymore ??
Will just have to continue from here.

20110417 : B Grade : Maillot Vert Sprint Series (1): 2nd Prime, Top 10 Finish ( Eastern Creek )

He who hesitates looses.. And i feel like i lost twice in this race.

From the go the race was pretty much controlled by 3 very strong SUVELO riders. 1 or 2 would attack and a few would follow -- the third rider would then block and slow down the pack. We'd go around him and chase but before you know it, hes back in front slowing the group again. :x :evil: When the group is almost at the breakaway, the third rider would take off and join the breakaway group.... :x After the group catches the breakaway, i'd say within half a lap another attack would happen. The same pattern and the same blocking tactics. It was frustrating but they did know how to work the group.

PRIME came and i initially wasnt planning on going for it, but by the straight i was 3rd wheel behind 2 parramatta riders, one leading out the other. I sat behind waiting to attack in the last 400 or so.. When the 2nd wheel stood up and went, he gained speed but not a huge kick, had no prob sitting in the slip stream still seated. Instead of getting up and kicking I hesitated and thought i'll go at 300... idiot :x :twisted: one rider went on my right pretty much blocking me as there was someone else on my left - by the time was able to get up and go he was a bikelength away from me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .. I chased him and by the time we hit the line we were dead even. I thought i got him, but i was told i came second.. dammit. had it been 5 more meters that would have been mine... :x :x

After the PRIME - the same pattern again from the SUVELO riders, so i decided they will be the wheel to follow if it comes down to a s bunch sprint.
Bell lap and no breakaway succeeded. Pace slowed down which suited me well. I was about 4th wheel prior to the last turn. I was in good position for the sprint., Then 3 riders took of on the last turn.. I quickly follwed thinking i might end up 6th wheel if i didn't latch on.. SO i did and ended up 3rd wheel by the straight. The sprint started early but the 2 guys infront of me slowed down.. :twisted: :evil: instead of going balls out, i waited until the group started the sprint on the right hand side. Left side was free for me but I started my sprint too late... Group was carrying 3-5 clicks quicker and i just could not make up the speed on my own... ended up in the TOP10...

:twisted: :evil: arghhhh....

Next race I'm going nuts from the top of the hill.. :wink:

Congratz to Zozza for taking out 5th.. I should have followed him.. ANd guess who took out the win.. SUVELO rider i was following until i switched across to the 2-3 riders that attacked prior to the straight. :x
eon

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:24 am

You still got a good result considering Eon! :wink:

You need to be careful of them rotating the riders in the control of the bunch to, as in swapping the the rider that stays behind to hold back the field. :twisted:

The best way of making everyone hurt is too keep attacking just as the field comes back together. But if you are on your own with no help, this will make it very hard for you to even look like nullifying their tactics. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby aeroslave » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 pm

foo on patrol wrote:You still got a good result considering Eon! :wink:

You need to be careful of them rotating the riders in the control of the bunch to, as in swapping the the rider that stays behind to hold back the field. :twisted:

The best way of making everyone hurt is too keep attacking just as the field comes back together. But if you are on your own with no help, this will make it very hard for you to even look like nullifying their tactics. :(

Foo

+1

The Waratahs are good at this. SUVelos as well. Good on them! As much as the committee discourages team racing...how do you really police that? You can't!
aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sun May 08, 2011 10:42 am

Race Report Please! :D
aeroslave

Postby mikesbytes » Sun May 08, 2011 12:45 pm

Please congratulate EON on his win this morning at EC
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby scotto » Sun May 08, 2011 12:58 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Please congratulate EON on his win this morning at EC

yeah, he should be in A grade IMO !!
god it was cold !!!
scotto

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sun May 08, 2011 4:50 pm

scotto wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Please congratulate EON on his win this morning at EC

yeah, he should be in A grade IMO !!
god it was cold !!!

Just as well he hung on in front of the OAP. We'd have given him a real hard time otherwise :wink:
FPR Jubilado Bludger
NotFlyingScot

Postby aeroslave » Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 am

Another Open Race win......Eon is now the Southern Hemisphere Cup and the Salas Cup Open B Grade Champion 8)
aeroslave

Postby eon » Mon May 09, 2011 12:19 pm

He who hesitates looses. That was lesson learnt on last race twice ( missed out on PRIME and Final ) :x .. So plan for this race - if it ends up a sprint finish is to get my arse in top 5 by the last turn and go all out from the top of the hill ( no hesitations ), hopefully surprising most as typically the sprint starts further down the track.
I ended up using my training/allaround wheels for this race ( EURUS tubeless ) instead of my new ZIPPS 404s. After a couple of races with the ZIPPs i really couldnt tell the difference, and I've had better luck with the EURUS in the past. Having that as a mental note, I felt that I should use my tusty alloys. It definitely brought me luck again this race. :wink:

It was a damn cold morning. :shock: I had newspaper on my chest, base layer + armwarmer, 2 layers of gloves and waterproof socks to stop the chill from going through. Plenty of starters in A grade, and plenty in B too - i think over 200 riders in all grades.

First half of the race was pretty uneventfull .... until the lap for the PRIME where 2 got out for a clean breakaway. Felt like the group was chasing - but not really, and pretty much let the 2 go for the prime - i had no itentions on going for the PRIME so was happy to sit in the bunch. I think most was waiting for an attack after the prime. Kept myself close to the front to see who was gonna attack or whos going to chase.
Post prime when the bunch regrouped I realised that one of the riders that was out for the PRIME was a woman :shock: :shock: :shock: she showed us...... We'll done to her - very strong rider.

At this point I was overheating :cry: . Newspaper off. 1st layer Gloves off. Arm Warmers off, then realised I was spat out the very back of the group. :x
After the PRIME is when the action started. and I was trying to get back up the front after taking my layers off... Attacks seems to happen on turn 4 almost every lap. Helped on one or two counter attacks ( we'll mainly making sure i hold wheel so others can hold mine), but got burnt on one, luckily the attckers slowed down.. pheeeeeeeeww.. :) I marked the attackers/counter attackers as 2x Red/Black rider, Parra Rider, and The Girl and Waratah Dude.. A couple of regular Parra riders i usually see on the races we're there always working their way to the front 10 of the group. I will admit, I sucked their wheel where i possibly can with the thought of having enough in the tank for the BLAST from the top of the hill. Its a gamble beacause if a breakaway eventuates and they dont latch on, then I wont be in the running...

Bell came and I was feeling pretty good. Pace felt like it slowed right down, which suits me well to recharge some more :) . No real attacks on the last lap i think. I was 10th wheel or so and needed to get my @rse to the front. Passing 10 riders on a sprint is near impossible. Everyone seems to be doing the same thing, working their way to the front. By the hairpin I managed to get to 5th wheel - was thinking perfect... by last turn i had a group on the right about so swamp me :evil: so i fought to hold my position and made sure they didnt come around me and block me. By the top of the hill I moved my way to the front 4. All this time I'm keeping my eye out on Walter. Very strong finisher and made sure I was close to him. so he was 3rd wheel and I was 4th behind him.

Straight is here - Too early for the sprint... NOOOOOTTTT. F*(k it I'm going for it while everyone else is waiting. 53x13 from the right side and quickly clicked it through to 53x11 ending up with a 64km/h max speed. I could see Walter stuck to me wheel - but I kept telling myself "HOLD ON - DONT let him come around you - 5 more seconds". even after the line I think i was still head down standing...

wohooo.. =)

A couple of things from this race .

1 - Last one in B, win or loose i was moving up to A anyways. See you there Mike and hopefully can work with Shauny again, like the good old C days.
2 - I'm selling my ZIPPs 404s tubulars. I like my Tubeless Eurus. they kick arse.
eon

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 09, 2011 11:14 pm

You'll go fine in A grade

How much are you selling the 404's for?
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Road Biking