Training Advice

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:06 am

Cheers guys

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 pm

Going over your Lactate threshold is when you are producing more Lactic acid than is being flushed from your system...and your power starts to plateau then drop off.So your Lactate threshold is when it is pretty much equalized and is your maximum sustainable effort...you can improve your threshold by training at your threshold or efforts above it.
It is probably important if you are doing ITT's where you have to measure your effort but in a race you constantly go above it to follow the moves or make your own.If you cant sustain the effort you get droped...simple.Personally I would rather race with my HRM in my back pocket as looking at very high numbers can put you off :wink:

CoffeeNut

Postby CoffeeNut » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:03 pm

Richard - that is all VERY helpful. Your insights are helping me put this all together :)
I can see one critical idea is to get a real feel for that aerobic/anaerobic threshold point - and to know how hard to play either side of it. Very tactical.

I can see the HRM could be a very useful tool for this - setting the threshold as a warning for the "upper limit" of the work zone. I imagine that with further experience the physical sensations of the transition become more intuitive and accurately perceived.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:06 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Going over your Lactate threshold is when you are producing more Lactic acid than is being flushed from your system...and your power starts to plateau then drop off.So your Lactate threshold is when it is pretty much equalized and is your maximum sustainable effort
Yeah, that's pretty much as I understood it and for me, that starts to happen just the other side of 150. As toolong points out, it IS something you can improve by training for it, unlike your max HR.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

CoffeeNut

Postby CoffeeNut » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:11 pm

Test my own HRmax today - it is at least 180 - probably a bit more - ran out of hill.
It was only just the legs that were hurting at that point - should I be pressing this harder ?
Am I supposed to feel like my chest is about to explode as well ???

CoffeeNut

Postby CoffeeNut » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:12 pm

And how do I trick the CS200 into setting a new HRMax? (That is not in the menu).

Do I just lie about my birthdate so it sets an internal HRmax that matches my actual ???

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:00 pm

Testing your max should damn near kill you :wink: you should be slumped over the bars and take a good 10 mins to recover,you will need a day to full recover.What was your max before 180?...sounds like you have a few more beats in you yet.
On the CS 200 go to settings (2 pushes rh button after totals),then thru to User Set,then program in new max.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:14 pm

CoffeeNut wrote:Test my own HRmax today - it is at least 180 - probably a bit more - ran out of hill.
It was only just the legs that were hurting at that point - should I be pressing this harder ?
Am I supposed to feel like my chest is about to explode as well ???
Same goes for me. I rode hard on Saturday and my HR peaked at 183. Admittedly I wasn't slumped over the bars at that point, as my legs were too tired to continue.

Should I push hard early to ensure my HR climbs quickly enough to reach it's max before my legs tire?

All too confusing sometimes.

Kev.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:23 pm

Personally I find I hit my max hr at the end of a sprint...not very often in climbs as if I hit my max at some point in a climb I wouldn't be much good at getting over that climb.Also I find that the second day of intensity is the day you fly.A climb that is too step to test your max will have you fighting against gravity too much and you will blow early.If you are sitting about 90% of your max before hitting a gentle rise you can keep a lot of momentum and high cadence going while you give it everything...the point is not to handicap yourself by picking the wrong terrain to test your self on.
You may do it a few times over a week or two to get the best result.
Get there smoothly then give it everything...a bit like slipstreaming a truck at your limit then trying to go around him :wink:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:34 pm

CoffeeNut wrote:And how do I trick the CS200 into setting a new HRMax? (That is not in the menu).

Do I just lie about my birthdate so it sets an internal HRmax that matches my actual ???
I'm pretty sure it's there under Personal Settings. Give a yell if you can't find it and I'll sort it out for you - don't have time to get involved at the moment (kids and dinner and bed and baths and ... oh fuggit)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

CoffeeNut

Postby CoffeeNut » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Found the HRmax steeing - thanks for that advice.
I had about 85% at the bottom of the hill - I'll hit it at 90% and with more speed next time and turn it into a long uphill sprint.

I've got a feeling that if I'd have extended the run a bit the lactic acid load may have kicked in a bit more and tweaker that HR up a bit further.