Show us your super light road bike

warthog1

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:32 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Sub 6kg. I'd be happy with sub 9 but I don't want to give up a steel frame, quill stems, 32 spoke rims and Brooks saddles
You're in the wrong thread SSS

11.5 kg. So am I :mrgreen:

Edit: thought I'd better weigh it. Put on a bit of pork with the dyno hub, lights and 36 spoke wheels (not the rear in that photo). 13.1 kg
Dogs are the best people :wink:

adamr

Postby adamr » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:20 pm

mitchy_ wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Tyres inflated with helium? :lol:
As a matter of curiosity I'll list the build on mine, so people can suggest how the build could be improved in terms of weight:
Pedals - Shimano SPD-SL (R540) - nearly as heavy as a set of Garmin Vectors, but a whole lot less cool
there isn't really a whole lot to change on yours before you start playing with the laws of diminishing returns! to lose ~600 grams you'll need deep pockets. :lol:

you can shave 100g off the saddle with a carbon option, 50-100 grams with different pedals (i'll take the R540's off your hands if you do. :wink:)
that said, i dont think you will notice those changes as much as something like lighter wheels, and at ~1355 grams with GP4000's they're already a pretty light package!
I changed to Conti Force/Attack tyres to save a bit over GP4000s. I also use Conti supersonic tubes.

I have a set of Shimano Ultegra carbon pedals from before my Vectors. That change cost me nearly 100g. Wiggle sells the Ultegra carbons for a decent price.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Not really weight weenie but under 7kg with the 404s so not too bad
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:33 pm

mitchy_ wrote:there isn't really a whole lot to change on yours before you start playing with the laws of diminishing returns! to lose ~600 grams you'll need deep pockets. :lol:

you can shave 100g off the saddle with a carbon option, 50-100 grams with different pedals (i'll take the R540's off your hands if you do. :wink:)
i presume you're already using an XG1190 cassette?
seatposts and stems can be all over the shop too. my carbon seatpost is heavier than an alloy one i have.

that said, i dont think you will notice those changes as much as something like lighter wheels, and at ~1355 grams with GP4000's they're already a pretty light package!

i'm hoping we start to see some lighter disc brake setups coming out. mine are boat anchors and i want to get mine at least UCI illegal weight wise. :lol:
Alas for my pockets. If only my bike was as light as my wallet... To be honest I don't ever expect this bike to be sub 6kg. But I'd like one one day.

What is it with my R540s? Jason already asked for them if I ever swap them out. Fight! :lol:
Am already using the XG1190 cassette, yes. Interesting about your carbon seatpost. I know my bars are pretty light, not sure about the seatpost. Carbon saddles scare me - don't look too comfy!
adamr wrote:I changed to Conti Force/Attack tyres to save a bit over GP4000s. I also use Conti supersonic tubes.

I have a set of Shimano Ultegra carbon pedals from before my Vectors. That change cost me nearly 100g. Wiggle sells the Ultegra carbons for a decent price.
Interesting about the Force/Attack being a bit lighter. I guess that is an easy option next time I need to replace tyres. I might do the pedals one day, not any time soon though.

To be honest, tyres and pedals are probably about it for changes to that bike. Very happy with it now. I'd be better spending money on a cheap set of wheels and/or a separate bike for commuting. After 18,000km there is very noticeable brake track wear on my R-Sys rims... :cry:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

adamr

Postby adamr » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:16 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Carbon saddles scare me - don't look too comfy!
I thought so too, but my Selle SMP Full Carbon Lite is quite comfy and only 125g. The carbon shell and rails actually flex more than most saddles and feel sorta padded. The bigger issue is that they can be slippery.

Of course, RRP on the Full Carbon Lite is about $700. I got mine from eBay for a small fraction of that. I was only willing to take the punt on eBay because I already had an SMP Forma, which is the same shell shape/size, so I was confident about comfort. WAY to expensive for buy before you try.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:23 pm

adamr wrote:
Of course, RRP on the Full Carbon Lite is about $700.
700 clams on a saddle :shock: Say What

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:57 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Interesting about the Force/Attack being a bit lighter. I guess that is an easy option next time I need to replace tyres.
i wouldn't be changing to force/attack for commuting. you'll ruin them very quicky commuting. they are thin with little puncture protection

adamr

Postby adamr » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:18 am

They still have a Vectran strip like the GP4000s, but not the extra lays of protection and side protection of the Gatorskins.

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:16 pm

6.69kg as is (not bottles but inc pedals, cages and garmin mount) = light enough for my bank balance

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:40 pm

jasonc wrote:
GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Interesting about the Force/Attack being a bit lighter. I guess that is an easy option next time I need to replace tyres.
i wouldn't be changing to force/attack for commuting. you'll ruin them very quicky commuting. they are thin with little puncture protection
Might as well just go to a veloflex master if you're looking at force/attack. Will be a much nicer tyre.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:46 am

adamr wrote:
I thought so too, but my Selle SMP Full Carbon Lite is quite comfy and only 125g. The carbon shell and rails actually flex more than most saddles and feel sorta padded. The bigger issue is that they can be slippery.

Of course, RRP on the Full Carbon Lite is about $700. I got mine from eBay for a small fraction of that. I was only willing to take the punt on eBay because I already had an SMP Forma, which is the same shell shape/size, so I was confident about comfort. WAY to expensive for buy before you try.
That's expensive! I did have a SMP 209 - but ended up going back to the Arione R3 that came with my bike. It seems to suit me better now.

My Giant is about 6.9kg at the moment after I added Stages power (Dura Ace) and changed the standard Giant skewers for some Bontrager titanium ones I already had. The skewers are a bit lighter, but they are a heck of a lot more practical than those silly Giant/DT Swiss style ones with the ratchet mechanism.

Although there is some scope to shave more weight from it, my wallet doesn't agree with that.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Anyone checked out the new Trek Emonda SLR 10? It weighs 4.6kg. And not a special one off build either. Anyone can buy one.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:26 pm

after swapping to a BB30 crank and changing rotors to something that actually works instead of just turning lever feel into vibrations, now down to 6.81kg... i just want a UCI illegal bike. :lol:

beanbiken

Postby beanbiken » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 pm

First post here but anyway............
Thought I might show my new ride. Have handed my 2012 Paris down to my youngest son and have just finished assembling this. Net weight reduction has been 290 grams so I am quite happy with the result. Almost pulled the trigger on a Dogma F8 but neither frame will make me into a pro :( Build list is...........

Pinarello Dogma Think 2, 51.5
Full Shimano 9070 DI2 with Sram XG1190 cassette
3T team stem & tape, LTD bars
stock seat post, clamp & expander
Fizik Antares 00 seat
Zipp 303 tubulars
Conti GP 4000 tires
Alpina bottle ages
Shimano DA 9000 pedals
Also have Frameskin protection film fitted and Stan's sealant in the tubbies.
[http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/stev ... .jpg[/img][/url]

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:55 pm

played musical wheels again. wanted to see how lighter, less aero wheels compared to heavier aero wheels.

~6.7kg as pictured

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:09 pm

How are the new wheels Mitchy.... Mine have arrived and are collecting dust at the moment
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:22 pm

cancan64 wrote:How are the new wheels Mitchy.... Mine have arrived and are collecting dust at the moment
so far so good. not as stiff as the carbons, but not flexy under my 90kg. for the price they are great though.
the width made my 42mm tyres touch the chainstays on the CX though... need to some some ~33-35c tyres, probably the sammy slicks you mentioned.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:13 pm

Just got this today..TCR Advanced SL1 with SRAM Red 22. 6.5 kgs as pictured.

captnslow

Postby captnslow » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Just built - 5471gm as phtographed excluding my cheapie stand

Darceking

Postby Darceking » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Thats all I have at the moment, though once its finished, I expect it to be about 6.5kg~

NOTE : This is not the actual picture of the frame. My frame is sitting in a box at the LBS

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:29 pm

defy1 wrote:Just got this today..TCR Advanced SL1 with SRAM Red 22. 6.5 kgs as pictured.

That's crazy light! My 2014 medium size with DA9000 is 6.95kg with Fetha garmin stem and two giant bidon cages. I had the steerer tube chopped after dropping the stem down a bit. It's fun putting on deep dish carbon wheels with a bike that is already fairly light. :)
Arlberg wrote:Anyone checked out the new Trek Emonda SLR 10? It weighs 4.6kg. And not a special one off build either. Anyone can buy one.
Tried to, but Clarence Street Cyclery were out of them. They had regular Emondas but not the SLR. Regular ones look fairly run of the mill (unlike the previous Madone). I'm not in the market for one - but still I wonder what it'd be like to ride something that light.

Hergest

Postby Hergest » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:06 pm

g-boaf wrote:
defy1 wrote:Just got this today..TCR Advanced SL1 with SRAM Red 22. 6.5 kgs as pictured.

That's crazy light! My 2014 medium size with DA9000 is 6.95kg with Fetha garmin stem and two giant bidon cages. I had the steerer tube chopped after dropping the stem down a bit. It's fun putting on deep dish carbon wheels with a bike that is already fairly light. :)
Arlberg wrote:Anyone checked out the new Trek Emonda SLR 10? It weighs 4.6kg. And not a special one off build either. Anyone can buy one.
Tried to, but Clarence Street Cyclery were out of them. They had regular Emondas but not the SLR. Regular ones look fairly run of the mill (unlike the previous Madone). I'm not in the market for one - but still I wonder what it'd be like to ride something that light.
The bike shop in Olympic Park has one of the SLRs on display. We stopped at the cafe next door a fortnight ago and popped in to the shop to gawk at the bike and gasp at how light it is when you pick it up. I assume they still have one there as at the price i reckon it would take a while to shift one.
13 LynskeyR230 01 Lemond BuenosAires

cpical

Postby cpical » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:48 pm

Not that light, but will do for a while, with a new dress after drop-out fixing.
New wheels with Chris King hub is gooooood.

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:02 pm

cpical wrote:Not that light, but will do for a while, with a new dress after drop-out fixing.
New wheels with Chris King hub is gooooood.

WINNER!!

lardass71

Show us your super light road bike

Postby lardass71 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Kestrel legend, 8.4kilos as it sits, all stock 105 components, stock wheels, bar, stem, post and saddle, frame is mechanical and di2 compatable