Show us your super light road bike

jules21

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:14 pm

jasonc wrote:I was going to ask you for a "loan"
if was money, the ship has sailed. if it's the wheels, we can have a pow-wow :)

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

65s and with r45 hubs?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Le Mong wrote:65s and with r45 hubs?
Tune hubs. These had better make me faster

ska'

Postby ska' » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:43 pm

BMC SLR01
SRAM RED
MAVIC COSMIC SL W/ POWERTAP SL..

Weight.. Light enough to the the job that is asked of it.. Could easily drop 1.2kg off it with some tubs, carbon seat / stem / bars.. Not interested it doing that though.

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Madone 7s 6280g as pictured.

BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

boss

Postby boss » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 am

Built this up last week. Very nice ride. With a Specialized Romin Pro (not pictured) it tips the bathroom scales at just over 7kg with pedals/cages. Have some ENVE bars on the way and they should take a few grams off.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:56 am

flex5150 wrote:Madone 7s 6280g as pictured.

That's a very nice bike. :) I know someone with one just like that, but a 60cm frame. :shock:

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Tue May 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Here's my new whip. Canyon Aerode 58cm with Dura Ace Di2 and Reynolds 46 clinchers, tips the scales at a bee's dick over 7kg and goes like a rocket.

And yes I know, cranks in wrong position and dust caps still on...
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 06, 2014 12:58 pm

Pravda wrote:Here's my new whip. Canyon Aerode 58cm with Dura Ace Di2 and Reynolds 46 clinchers, tips the scales at a bee's dick over 7kg and goes like a rocket.
I'm drooling

PomBike

Postby PomBike » Tue May 06, 2014 9:02 pm

Pravda wrote:Here's my new whip. Canyon Aerode 58cm with Dura Ace Di2 and Reynolds 46 clinchers, tips the scales at a bee's dick over 7kg and goes like a rocket.

That's nice. Not sure your measuring of the bee dick is correct.
[SPAM LINK REMOVED]

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Thu May 08, 2014 9:28 pm

I like the bike but I hate how it has Canyon.com written on it at least 8 times. It would look much better without it. I'd be removing all of it except on the downtube.

boss

Postby boss » Fri May 09, 2014 8:59 am

Arlberg wrote:I like the bike but I hate how it has Canyon.com written on it at least 8 times. It would look much better without it. I'd be removing all of it except on the downtube.
I don't mind it, I mean it's nowhere near as offensive as the 'graphical styling' paintwork that adorns Merida, Giant, Trek, et al.

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Fri May 09, 2014 11:51 am

boss wrote:
Arlberg wrote:I like the bike but I hate how it has Canyon.com written on it at least 8 times. It would look much better without it. I'd be removing all of it except on the downtube.
I don't mind it, I mean it's nowhere near as offensive as the 'graphical styling' paintwork that adorns Merida, Giant, Trek, et al.
My thoughts exactly, plus I want people to know what brand it is, there's not many of these rolling around Aus.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

nickl

Postby nickl » Fri May 09, 2014 2:23 pm

How did you get yours? Via NZ or a drop shipper or have you found the magical hidden "Australian Canyon order page" on their website?

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Fri May 09, 2014 2:26 pm

nickl wrote:
How did you get yours? Via NZ or a drop shipper or have you found the magical hidden "Australian Canyon order page" on their website?
Neither, picked it up srcond hand but barely used here in Aus. The bloke I got it ftom bought it home from Europe after living there.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 10, 2014 5:13 pm

One of the old blokes I ride with has one of these and was trying to sell it but nobody wanted to buy it. :wink: So he said stuff it, I'll keep it. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Wed May 14, 2014 3:08 pm

new frame... forgot to weigh it though. was supposed to be a bit lighter than the old one, but seems to come in bang on 6.92kg again. *shrug*

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Apologies for the crappy pictures, but I thought I'd put up my Tarmac again since I've now replaced the groupset and bars after my crash the other week.

After the first ride:

and earlier, before adding saddlebag, lights and computer:

Was unsure I'd made a good choice going for Red 22, but having used it now...love it. Sooooooooooooo much better than 2011 Red that I had before. :D
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

Kin

Postby Kin » Fri May 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Image my roady weighing in at 5.8kgs with some light weight mavic wheels, with the zips it's about 6kgs

Sent while driving

adamr

Postby adamr » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:53 pm

I have slowly upgraded and recently rebuilt by Hongfu FM066. I am finally satisfied with the weight -- no particular desire to go lower for its own sake. Would not mind some light deep section wheels. Recommendations gratefully accepted.

6,960g as pictured including Garmin Edge 510 and K-Edge mount. 6,850g excluding those items.

Recent additions to reduce weight -- 3T Palladio TEAM seat post (cut down to match my short legs), 3T Ergonova LTD handle bars 42cm, Selle SMP Full Carbon Lite saddle.

Additions which added weight -- Garmin Vector pedals and power meter, new eBay carbon bottle cages (because the old ones were too flimsy).

I have thought about using Nokon or iLinks cables for a few more grams, but don't really think it is worth the trouble.

adamr

Postby adamr » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:12 pm

Kin wrote:Image my roady weighing in at 5.8kgs with some light weight mavic wheels, with the zips it's about 6kgs
Nice looking bike Kin.

I don't see how it can be nearly 600g lighter than GeoffInBrisbane's Tarmac SL3 while also using those Zipp wheels. Your frame is lighter, but as far as I can see, the other items are comparable and the wheels are heavier. Do you have some secret light components (AX Lightness handlebars or something) to make up the difference?

My bike is over 6.8 and I know I could lose a few hundred with a Red group set instead of Ultegra, but everything else on my bike is very light.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:19 pm

geoff's bike is made for people who are still in short pants too

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:32 pm

adamr wrote:
Kin wrote:Image my roady weighing in at 5.8kgs with some light weight mavic wheels, with the zips it's about 6kgs
Nice looking bike Kin.

I don't see how it can be nearly 600g lighter than GeoffInBrisbane's Tarmac SL3 while also using those Zipp wheels. Your frame is lighter, but as far as I can see, the other items are comparable and the wheels are heavier. Do you have some secret light components (AX Lightness handlebars or something) to make up the difference?

My bike is over 6.8 and I know I could lose a few hundred with a Red group set instead of Ultegra, but everything else on my bike is very light.
Tyres inflated with helium? :lol:

My bike has bottom rung Shimano pedals on it, I could save a little by swapping them out for some carbon pedals. Other than that, I'm not sure there is much to be saved without either going to tubs or spending insane money on super light clinchers. As a matter of curiosity I'll list the build on mine, so people can suggest how the build could be improved in terms of weight:

Frame - S-Works Tarmac SL3
Wheels - Mavic R-Sys SL
Tyres - Continental GP4000S/SII (23C)
Groupset - Red 22 / BB30 / Compact
Seatpost - S-Works carbon
Saddle - Specialized Romin Pro carbon rails
Stem - 3T ARX Pro
Bars - S-Works carbon
Bartape - Zipp Road Service Corse
Pedals - Shimano SPD-SL (R540) - nearly as heavy as a set of Garmin Vectors, but a whole lot less cool
Cages - Elite Carbon (x2)

As Jason says, the frame is only a 54 (if he thinks 54 is a small frame, he should see my mate's SL4), but on the other hand my back is so messed up that I have an uncut steerer on the fork and enough spacers to match, which probably makes up for it. Oh, and since I weighed it I removed the Garmin GSC-10 - saves a whole 25g! :P

I'd love a sub 6kg bike. One day. Still drooling over the sub 5kg Litespeed. Can I borrow that for a Coot Tha run, Lannes? 8)
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:53 am

Sub 6kg. I'd be happy with sub 9 but I don't want to give up a steel frame, quill stems, 32 spoke rims and Brooks saddles

mitchy_

Postby mitchy_ » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:41 am

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:Tyres inflated with helium? :lol:

My bike has bottom rung Shimano pedals on it, I could save a little by swapping them out for some carbon pedals. Other than that, I'm not sure there is much to be saved without either going to tubs or spending insane money on super light clinchers. As a matter of curiosity I'll list the build on mine, so people can suggest how the build could be improved in terms of weight:

Frame - S-Works Tarmac SL3
Wheels - Mavic R-Sys SL
Tyres - Continental GP4000S/SII (23C)
Groupset - Red 22 / BB30 / Compact
Seatpost - S-Works carbon
Saddle - Specialized Romin Pro carbon rails
Stem - 3T ARX Pro
Bars - S-Works carbon
Bartape - Zipp Road Service Corse
Pedals - Shimano SPD-SL (R540) - nearly as heavy as a set of Garmin Vectors, but a whole lot less cool
Cages - Elite Carbon (x2)

As Jason says, the frame is only a 54 (if he thinks 54 is a small frame, he should see my mate's SL4), but on the other hand my back is so messed up that I have an uncut steerer on the fork and enough spacers to match, which probably makes up for it. Oh, and since I weighed it I removed the Garmin GSC-10 - saves a whole 25g! :P

I'd love a sub 6kg bike. One day. Still drooling over the sub 5kg Litespeed. Can I borrow that for a Coot Tha run, Lannes? 8)
there isn't really a whole lot to change on yours before you start playing with the laws of diminishing returns! to lose ~600 grams you'll need deep pockets. :lol:

you can shave 100g off the saddle with a carbon option, 50-100 grams with different pedals (i'll take the R540's off your hands if you do. :wink:)
i presume you're already using an XG1190 cassette?
seatposts and stems can be all over the shop too. my carbon seatpost is heavier than an alloy one i have.

that said, i dont think you will notice those changes as much as something like lighter wheels, and at ~1355 grams with GP4000's they're already a pretty light package!

i'm hoping we start to see some lighter disc brake setups coming out. mine are boat anchors and i want to get mine at least UCI illegal weight wise. :lol: