Show us your super light road bike

Slvr32gtr

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby Slvr32gtr » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:48 pm

That is a nice list of race cars there! Definitely some very nice sounds among them.

I changed to the 3T Ergonova Team bars as they are nice and comfortable with the egg shaped profile on the top. They come in at just over 200g from memory too so they shaved a couple of grams off from the Zipp service course SL bars that were on it.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:21 pm

g-boaf wrote: the grand daddy of them all, the F1 GTR. It just sounds awesome power sliding out of a corner with a 911 GT1 flickering flames out of its exhausts as the pair of them drag race out of Arnage corner. You can't even hear the Porsche, just the howl of the F1. 8)
I'd take a punt and guess, maybe Le Mans 1996? That era till 2000 was awesome... I would have given my left one to go to the 1998 edition. Porsche, McLaren GTR Longtails, R390 (Rev. 2), CLK GTR, GT-One and of course the Panoz GTR-1.. and they were just the GT1's!!

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Helloooo petrol heads....maybe you missed the topic of this thread :???:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

munga

Postby munga » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Slvr32gtr

Postby Slvr32gtr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 pm

We are gonna get into so much trouble! :P haha.

TMjpn: How do you find your Kuota KOM? A friend of mine is looking at a KOM Evo at the moment.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Slvr32gtr wrote:We are gonna get into so much trouble! :P haha.

TMjpn: How do you find your Kuota KOM? A friend of mine is looking at a KOM Evo at the moment.
Bwahahaha! :lol:

Seen more that my usual quota of Kuotas - they are very nice bikes. Would very much like to try one out.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:56 pm

Been threatening a photo of this bike for over a year now:
6.66kg of alloy goodness

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:05 am

munga wrote:
Take off the two wheels and place a roller on the wheelie bar and you have one hell of a motor pace vehicle. :twisted:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

flex5150

Postby flex5150 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:12 am

nickobec wrote:Been threatening a photo of this bike for over a year now:
6.66kg of alloy goodness
nice,

my brother in law lives in london and is heading over to the canyon factory to do a test ride ..he's looking at the cf slx 9.0 but of course im trying to steer him to the 9.0 sl
BMC SLR01 '15 RED22
Giant PROPEL SL RED22.
BMC SLR01 '18 E-TAP

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:34 pm

nickobec wrote:Been threatening a photo of this bike for over a year now, 6.66kg of alloy goodness
luuurvely nick

(still calling first dibs if/when you decide to sell the frame!)

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:59 pm

6.66kg of alloy goodness
Great looking whip.

Where did you manage to get it? A mate of mine wants one and doesn't think he can get one locally in Aus.

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:32 pm

About time Nick.

Been waiting to see this bike for ages mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Slvr32gtr wrote:TMjpn: How do you find your Kuota KOM? A friend of mine is looking at a KOM Evo at the moment.
Can't beleive I didnt see this question for a long time.

I really loved the KOM, it's a solid bike - mine was the 12' Evo version. Stiff in its power transfer and pretty good on the road buzz. It felt pretty lively and on the ball with steering input. For the money (I got the frame on sale for $1500) it was worth every cent and more. Only thing I was annoyed about with it was the BB which the importer changed to threaded instead of the BB30 as designed - I took it home to do a straight component swap from a Cannondale and that was a nasty surprise.. I Felt that was done quickly with a big chunk of aluminium slammed in there to make it work and the weight of the bike suffered due to it. All in all though the KOM inspired me to pop alot of my bigger challenge cherry's and I reckon it flattered my abilites somewhat. It loves a sprint, too - definately a bike that rewards out of the saddle. I'm a pleb that somehow outsprinted a top C-grader down eastern creek main straight on it!

I sold it because I fell in love with a certain Aero bike and got a great offer went for it. TBH it kinda felt like trading a wholesome girl for a model - The KOM is unabashedly portly in its dimensions but its all in the sake of power - and eventually the sweet lines (and less weight) of a foil got the better of me. I would best say that I did an upgrade to appease my heart with aethsetics - as TBH it was hardly a quantifiable upgrade for performance.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:37 pm

WP_001285 by TMjpn, on Flickr

Not a very flattering pic but I finished building it up and got 1 test ride in before my Knee reco 3 weeks ago. Another 2-3 weeks till I can take it out and try rebuilding muscle mass again :(

Saved a bit of coin and was able to roll over to superlogic C260 stem and Evo II bars :D

Weight is 7.4kg as pic'ed.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:11 pm

That's a pretty good weight for including a Garmin as well and some aero wheels.

Looking good. :) Mine is 264 grams behind yours.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:17 pm

6.66kg of alloy goodness
I have ridden Alu and Carbon. But I guess yours is new production technique Alu (it must be at that weight.) How is the ride? Understand the wheels are a big influence.

PBF

Postby PBF » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Mulger bill wrote: You have missed a couple of the bike photography guidelines but I hardly looked at the gear choice, crank position or visible valves. :wink:

One thing I will jump on is the orientation of the tyres on the rims. Fitting tyres with the branding over the valve hole (like your rear wheel) makes checking for penetrations post puncture lots simpler
I spent a long time looking for the calves in the shot.......til i realised i went all lysdexic and read VALVES wrong.

TMjpn

Postby TMjpn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:19 pm

g-boaf wrote:That's a pretty good weight for including a Garmin as well and some aero wheels.

Thanks! Your SL is already light as a starting point with real world components and Ui2. I've almost maxxed out without going to the really expensive WW stuff -> all the weight loss chasing has been an expensive exercise and I dont really want to think about how much I've spent (and will still yet spend) just to get to 6.8 - although I think slapping on a decent pair of Tubulars will do the job but I've just tried to make my bike practical and durable - I dont really have business going all out as I dont race yet.

My list of to do's:

Maybe Trim seatpost back for 30g
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbon flow saddle (saves me 20g)
Lighter chain (10g)

& Maybe a full 50mm carbon clincher set in the new year to make it 7.0kg :D

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:03 am

ft_critical wrote: I have ridden Alu and Carbon. But I guess yours is new production technique Alu (it must be at that weight.) How is the ride? Understand the wheels are a big influence.
I own a CF bike a Fuji SL comp and one alloy the Canyon, as well as a few steel bikes.

The Fuji is heavier than the Canyon by over 0,5kg, over 200g of that is the forks on the Fuji with it's the alloy steerer, less than 200g difference in the frame and about 200g in components Canyon heavier stem, Fuji heavier brakes, bars, cables.

I can draw direct comparison between the Fuji and the Canyon as I have raced both bike over the same courses with the same wheels. Surprisingly the alloy Canyon feels more complaint in the rear triangle than the Fuji. The Fuji seems to soak up the road chatter better through the forks. Though that may have to do with the handlebars or both due to Canyon is a size smaller than the Fuji I have a 20mm longer stem on the Canyon and as a result my weight is further over the front wheel when riding the Canyon.

Both frames are stiff with my less than max power output of 1000w Though the Canyon feels more responsive when you put the power down hard, you get a spring back. Where as on the Fuji you just keep soaking up the power.

I bought the Canyon as a crit bike, but after a couple of road races, it will do more that just crit race
Last edited by nickobec on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:19 am

TMjpn wrote:
g-boaf wrote:That's a pretty good weight for including a Garmin as well and some aero wheels.

Thanks! Your SL is already light as a starting point with real world components and Ui2. I've almost maxxed out without going to the really expensive WW stuff -> all the weight loss chasing has been an expensive exercise and I dont really want to think about how much I've spent (and will still yet spend) just to get to 6.8 - although I think slapping on a decent pair of Tubulars will do the job but I've just tried to make my bike practical and durable - I dont really have business going all out as I dont race yet.

My list of to do's:

Lighter chain (10g)

Ooooh! :lol: My bank manager will not be pleased with me seeing that list of components (and some others listed above)! I'd never thought of brake calipers. Looks like I can save heaps of weight just on those alone (compared to the Ultegra ones I have). Not too expensive either. Carbon bars and new brake calipers... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now I'm getting like Xplora with his Quark! It's getting to be a bottomless pit of money. :D

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:48 pm

g-boaf wrote: Ooooh! :lol: My bank manager will not be pleased with me seeing that list of components (and some others listed above)! I'd never thought of brake calipers. Looks like I can save heaps of weight just on those alone (compared to the Ultegra ones I have). Not too expensive either. Carbon bars and new brake calipers...
If you are brave list all your components and weights, and the nice people here will make suggestions on how to get to a desired weight while spending minimum $

brakes can sae you 100g
tubes 60g
cables is another go one along with tyres

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:Ooooh! :lol: My bank manager will not be pleased with me seeing that list of components (and some others listed above)! I'd never thought of brake calipers. Looks like I can save heaps of weight just on those alone (compared to the Ultegra ones I have). Not too expensive either. Carbon bars and new brake calipers... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now I'm getting like Xplora with his Quark! It's getting to be a bottomless pit of money. :D
I have 3-t ergosum team bars sitting at home - 203 grams

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:01 pm

g-boaf wrote:
TMjpn wrote:

My list of to do's:

Lighter chain (10g)

Ooooh! :lol: My bank manager will not be pleased with me seeing that list of components (and some others listed above)! I'd never thought of brake calipers. Looks like I can save heaps of weight just on those alone (compared to the Ultegra ones I have). Not too expensive either. Carbon bars and new brake calipers... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You'll notice a substantial loss in performance compared to your Ultegra brakes if you get lighter ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:27 pm

I didn't end up doing any further upgrades, just stopped at carbon stems and carbon bars. It's light enough - and working well.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Broke my TT bike (well the seatpost to be precise) so after 12 months the FM066SL is seeing service.

Yes it has got TT bars, but it is under 7kg (6.98kg) in that setup, 60mm front, 50mm rear with powertap and microshift groupset.