Show us your super light road bike

For Roadies

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby toppity » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:34 pm

The Kestral is awesome. First Monocoque frame I ever lusted after.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.
toppity
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:08 am
Location: West Gippsland, Victoria

by BNA » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:40 pm

BNA
 

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby Wingnut » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:40 pm

lannes wrote:The Ciamillo pad holders are junk, you have to mount then upside down when you use the Reynolds Cryo blue pads, as they is nothing to hold the pads in and they get ejected if the holders are the right way up.


They're not junk...you just don't know how to set your brakes up correctly...

I have two sets and mine work fine...face the opening in the pad holder to the back of your bike with the curve corresponding to the rim...it's so basic but you don't listen...

Image
"It never gets easier, you just go faster..." - Greg Lemond

"Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience." - Richard Sachs
User avatar
Wingnut
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula...

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Image

TCR Advanced SL1 ISP medium, with K-edge and 2 Giant carbon bidon holders on it. 6.84kg. It was 6.72kg before I added those. Dura Ace 9000 groupset, Shimano PD-6700C pedals from my other bike. It is damn light. :shock:
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby mitchy_ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:39 pm

mine's gone up in weight.. devastating! :lol:

converted to drop bars, swapped hydraulic brakes for Avid BB7 S Road's and 29er wheels fors Light Bicycle 45mm U-shaped carbon clinchers.

presumably the cheap tubes i bought today (only ones i could find with 60mm valves), along with the heavier bar/shifter setup and moreso the hefty brakes (~400 grams for calipers alone!) is where the extra weight came from, wheels should have saved a good 150 grams.

now sitting at ~7.2kg... will buy some lighter tubes, floating rotors and lighter tyres once these are cactus... these gatorskins dont roll as nice as some of my other tyres.
that said, i'm not too fussed.. it rides great.

Image
Designs by Mitch - drafting specialist.
User avatar
mitchy_
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:15 am

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby biker jk » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:Image

TCR Advanced SL1 ISP medium, with K-edge and 2 Giant carbon bidon holders on it. 6.84kg. It was 6.72kg before I added those. Dura Ace 9000 groupset, Shimano PD-6700C pedals from my other bike. It is damn light. :shock:


Nice. Is that with Shimano WH-9000 C24 wheelset?
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2663
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:50 pm

Giant PSLR1 wheel set with GP4000S tyres.

I have to put my other brakes on it. They are lighter than the Dura Ace ones.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby old al » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Neither of these bikes were built for lightness, both were built for racing. The EMC2 has SRAM groupset and Flashpoint wheels the custom painted "3CRACING" is a Deng Foo frame with bits of everything on it and Bracciano wheels! The EMC2 weighs 6.9kg and the 3CRACING custom weighs 7.1kg. Could easily make them lighter but as I race on a flat course not worth the effort and money.

Image

Image
User avatar
old al
 
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:42 am
Location: Pelaw Main Hunter Valley NSW

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby Le Mong » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:Giant PSLR1 wheel set with GP4000S tyres.

I have to put my other brakes on it. They are lighter than the Dura Ace ones.


Ypu will love the 9000 group. I done regret going it over di2 at all :)
Le Mong
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:00 pm

It's better when the light weight is practical light weight! EMC2 is very nice.

I got out on the SL1 Giant today - it's a damn good bike. Nothing prepared me for the Dura Ace brakes - wow are they powerful. Way more powerful than Ultegra and Planet X UL CNC in my experience. Once I got used to that, it was very nice. It feels very agile, but not nervous, it's quite stable and steady - and it just flies along. It's incredible how quickly you can accelerate with this thing. Those things are a given I suppose, but I didn't expect the comfort factor - that it seemed to be quite easy over bumps. That's a very nice benefit.

One problem was the RideSense cadence/speed sensor wasn't playing well with the Garmin, it seem to be dropping out all the time and otherwise spiking wildly. I'll swap that sensor over for another one I have.

And by the way, it is 7.2kg with the saddle bag on it! :shock:

Le Mong: I do love it - already. I had a stupidly huge grin on my face today when riding this. Quite lost for words. :o I'm actually going to leave the Dura Ace calipers on it, they are better than the Planet X ones I have.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby biker jk » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:It's better when the light weight is practical light weight! EMC2 is very nice.

I got out on the SL1 Giant today - it's a damn good bike. Nothing prepared me for the Dura Ace brakes - wow are they powerful. Way more powerful than Ultegra and Planet X UL CNC in my experience. Once I got used to that, it was very nice. It feels very agile, but not nervous, it's quite stable and steady - and it just flies along. It's incredible how quickly you can accelerate with this thing. Those things are a given I suppose, but I didn't expect the comfort factor - that it seemed to be quite easy over bumps. That's a very nice benefit.

One problem was the RideSense cadence/speed sensor wasn't playing well with the Garmin, it seem to be dropping out all the time and otherwise spiking wildly. I'll swap that sensor over for another one I have.

Le Mong: I do love it - already. I had a stupidly huge grin on my face today when riding this. Quite lost for words. :o I'm actually going to leave the Dura Ace calipers on it, they are better than the Planet X ones I have.


I'm glad you noticed the Dura Ace 9000 brakes are great due to the new design. I was going to suggest you keep them on.
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2663
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby Le Mong » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 am

biker jk wrote:
g-boaf wrote:It's better when the light weight is practical light weight! EMC2 is very nice.

I got out on the SL1 Giant today - it's a damn good bike. Nothing prepared me for the Dura Ace brakes - wow are they powerful. Way more powerful than Ultegra and Planet X UL CNC in my experience. Once I got used to that, it was very nice. It feels very agile, but not nervous, it's quite stable and steady - and it just flies along. It's incredible how quickly you can accelerate with this thing. Those things are a given I suppose, but I didn't expect the comfort factor - that it seemed to be quite easy over bumps. That's a very nice benefit.

One problem was the RideSense cadence/speed sensor wasn't playing well with the Garmin, it seem to be dropping out all the time and otherwise spiking wildly. I'll swap that sensor over for another one I have.

Le Mong: I do love it - already. I had a stupidly huge grin on my face today when riding this. Quite lost for words. :o I'm actually going to leave the Dura Ace calipers on it, they are better than the Planet X ones I have.


I'm glad you noticed the Dura Ace 9000 brakes are great due to the new design. I was going to suggest you keep them on.


I need to get a set for my Tarmac. Stupid Specialized specing Ultegra brakes on a 9000 equipped bike lol
Le Mong
 
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Finally a photo of it:

Image

2014 TCR Advanced SL1 DA9000, medium. 7.3kg with saddle bag (minus water bottles), or 6.84kg without saddle bag.

It is so fast!
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby zosim » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:49 am

Mine as it was the day I built it, some minor changes since. 7.5kg and I could get probably another 600g off it without too much difficulty as the wheels are robust rather than svelte.

Image
zosim
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 am

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby hoju79 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:17 pm

Just built. Secondhand frameset/seatpost/bars, other bits all new. 7.4kgs - no pedals,cages or lights.

Image

2012 TCR Advanced 2 Frameset (looks to be a 2011 seatpost), full Ultegra 6800 compact group inc. carbon 6800 pedals. Fulcrum racing 3 Wheels with Conti GP4000s tyres. Fizik Arione R3 saddle and Fizik bar tape. Cheapy Elite cages. Built how I wanted it with change from $2100. Experience of first carbon bike build without screwing it up, priceless!!
hoju79
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:16 pm

g-boaf wrote:Finally a photo of it:

Image

2014 TCR Advanced SL1 DA9000, medium. 7.3kg with saddle bag (minus water bottles), or 6.84kg without saddle bag.

It is so fast!


Nice for a Carbon bike :lol:
Image
User avatar
singlespeedscott
 
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: Elimbah, Queensland

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby flex5150 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 pm

Image

6.16kg as pictured.
recent weightloss due to kallay stem, ceramic bb, and secret squirel cable outers, conti supersonic tubes, pro4 ltd front tyre.
Last edited by flex5150 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
flex5150
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby pawnii » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Why can't I see your pic flex?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium
pawnii
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Macleod, Melbourne

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby flex5150 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:48 pm

Dont know pawnii I can
User avatar
flex5150
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby pawnii » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:49 pm

Strange. My app doesn't like your pic


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium
pawnii
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:54 pm
Location: Macleod, Melbourne

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby donncha » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:19 pm

Mine either.
Image
donncha
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 am
Location: Maroubra

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 pm

flex5150 wrote:6.16kg as pictured.
recent weightloss due to kallay stem, ceramic bb, and secret squirel cable outers, conti supersonic tubes, pro4 ltd front tyre.


Very, very nice. :)

singlespeedscott wrote:Nice for a Carbon bike :lol:


Haha. :lol: It's quite a machine. Amazing bike for the money.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 4033
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 pm

haven't fitted them to my bike yet but it just got lighter.. :)

Image
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8703
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:37 pm

jules21 wrote:haven't fitted them to my bike yet but it just got lighter.. :)

Image


as did you wallet! :shock:
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5986
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby jules21 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:42 pm

jasonc wrote:as did you wallet! :shock:

2nd hand! i couldn't afford them new 8)
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8703
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Show us your super light road bike

Postby jasonc » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:53 pm

jules21 wrote:
jasonc wrote:as did you wallet! :shock:

2nd hand! i couldn't afford them new 8)


I was going to ask you for a "loan"
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5986
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to Road Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit