Thinking about raceing

GTR

Thinking about raceing

Postby GTR » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:43 pm

Last edited by GTR on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

ft_critical

Re: Thinking about raceing

Postby ft_critical » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:57 pm

GTR wrote:Hi All
I have taken up riding a few year ago now, to lose some waight but am now addicted. I went and had a look at the raceing down at the penrith regatta center on the week end and would like to have a go but they look like they were flying and dont know if i would be able to keep up. I took my bike down the other week end to get some riding on the flats in as i am from Katoomba all hills my average speed on a 40km loop at katoomba is 29km very hilly but at the regatta center i did 45km at an average of 39km/h by my self and i held 2 full laps (10km) at 48km/h but thought i was goin to die, is this a competive speed, I dont want to go down an get total put off racing by just getting left for dead.
With those speeds/distance if you add some bunch riding skills, then you will be winning A grade in 3mths. If these numbers are real and you are young enough, you should immediately go see a coach in preparation for turning PRO.

GTR

y

Postby GTR » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:04 pm

philip

Postby philip » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:44 pm

GTR wrote:i held 2 full laps (10km) at 48km/h
This means you're doing each lap at 6m15s
GTR wrote:the guys racing were lapping at around 6m45s A grade
if these are the same laps, something doesn't sound quite right...

GTR

y

Postby GTR » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Comptine

Postby Comptine » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Hey GTR,

I live in the blue mountains too race at Penrith sometimes. If you want to test yourself, you can join the group ride at BikeMinded on Saturday Mornings at 7am, some of the guys there race B grade and if you can keep up with them when they turn it on you are doing pretty well, they are nice guys too. Or just head down to the races at Penrith and have a go, it's not that hard.

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:44 pm

48km Avg. for two laps is impressive, especially solo

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Does your name happen to be Eddie or Peter :?: :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GTR

y

Postby GTR » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Last edited by GTR on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Parker

Postby Parker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 pm

GTR wrote:from all of the sarcastic ramarks I understand why people i have talked to, who have had a go at racing have warned me off raceing. Most of the guys I meet on the road are great and fantastic guys but the racers seem to have something to gain by dissing people staight up before they realy know, because no one could be faster then them could they. and for the record I went out there with my wife late yesterday and 35km this time at 37km/h average and i only droped my wife on the last lap because the last lap I went all out again and did it at 47km/h little bit windy this time. So i might give the race thing a miss Im happy just doing what Im doing.
A friend once said to me, don't listen to anyone on a forum, he races A grade, and he'd probably tell you that he's the fastest guy in the world and that you'd never catch him... I can catch him when he's sick :lol:

Go race, you never know what you're capable of until you try... and prove em wrong.

philip

Postby philip » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:13 pm

I'm not sure why you've taken offense at the replies, I don't see "all of the sarcastic remarks". Averaging 48km/h over 10km solo is something not many people can do, you can understand why anyone would be skeptical. Most of the people I race with are great, friendly guys. Take Comptine's advice, go and do some group riding and join a club, it's really great fun.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:20 pm

I coudn't do that on a wooden velodrome in full aero kit.

Why don't you have a go at time trailing
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:23 pm

I'd love to manage those speeds :shock:

My best for a 45+ km ride is 32.5km/hr, but that does include a few traffic lights, but still a long way off.

Go for it !!! The worst that can happen is that you come last (except crashing, but you REALLY try and avoid that one ....

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Hey bud

Just give it a go, you will never know how you go until you try!!

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:49 pm

you have the fitness to win B grade and do well in A grade
But you probably have no Group riding skills (i could be wrong, you have not mentioned this), this is important, you need to be able to ride within cm's of 30-40 other riders and know what to do when they move into you, cut you off, brake hard in front of you etc. Find a local Group and ride with them.
Then jump into B gradem, smash em, then go and play with the guys in A grade.
You will do well.
As a reference i race top end C grade, mid pack B grade and can average 36-37km/h Solo on a flat course like the regatta with no wind for 40+km.
Main thing is to have fun :D

Don

GTR

y

Postby GTR » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:51 pm

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:53 pm

GTR wrote:from all of the sarcastic ramarks I understand why people i have talked to, who have had a go at racing have warned me off raceing. Most of the guys I meet on the road are great and fantastic guys but the racers seem to have something to gain by dissing people staight up before they realy know, because no one could be faster then them could they. and for the record I went out there with my wife late yesterday and 35km this time at 37km/h average and i only droped my wife on the last lap because the last lap I went all out again and did it at 47km/h little bit windy this time. So i might give the race thing a miss Im happy just doing what Im doing.
Check the wheel size setting in your computer.

othy

Postby othy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:20 pm

ft_critical wrote:
Check the wheel size setting in your computer.
That was my first thought reading this thread....

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:26 pm

Even if your wheel size setting is wrong, your more than quick enough to race. Most races are graded by ability, so you will end up racing riders of similar ability to you.

GTR

y

Postby GTR » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:16 pm

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:02 pm

GTR wrote:hi I checked the wheel setting and thats why i took my wife along so i had another computor to check and they were the same apart from the last lap so i dont know whats going on but by the sounds of it i must be doing something wrong as most replies are saying it is highly unlikly i could do it any way i have a nother question when i sprint i can hold 74km for about 200m is this way off the mark it has got me thinking i might be kidding my self and something is wrong with my computor
i think you need to check it again
The Pros, ie Cavendish, McEwen etc have a top sprint speed of 75-80km/h (pretty sure i read this in an article, 80 is real hardcore though)
If you can hold 74km/h for 200m find a coach, get some sponsors
Be nice watching you in the TDF next year.

Don

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 pm

The world record in the flying 200 is about 80kph.

Personally the fastest I've ever done at the velodrome is 64.9kph

PortableDave

Postby PortableDave » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:50 pm

GTR wrote:hi I checked the wheel setting and thats why i took my wife along so i had another computor to check and they were the same apart from the last lap so i dont know whats going on but by the sounds of it i must be doing something wrong as most replies are saying it is highly unlikly i could do it any way i have a nother question when i sprint i can hold 74km for about 200m is this way off the mark it has got me thinking i might be kidding my self and something is wrong with my computor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ1j8sXtMqI have a look at the speed on screen at 2:00 and Hoy isn't exactly a slouch :D

zozza

Postby zozza » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:57 pm

GTR wrote: i have a nother question when i sprint i can hold 74km for about 200m
This is also genuinely impressive!

Where did you achieve this?

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:14 am

leximack wrote:
i think you need to check it again
The Pros, ie Cavendish, McEwen etc have a top sprint speed of 75-80km/h (pretty sure i read this in an article, 80 is real hardcore though)
If you can hold 74km/h for 200m find a coach, get some sponsors
Be nice watching you in the TDF next year.

Don
Do you have 2 magnets on your front wheel or 1?
Diameter/circumference mix up on the computer?
Some satnavs like TomTom have batteries. Borrow one and check your speed that way.
iPhone app if you have an iPhone???