Another first time race...

For Roadies

Another first time race...

Postby inaminit » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:36 pm

Thought I'd have a crack at my first race this morning, So headed up to Runaway Bay to the Luke Harrop Circuit and signed on with the Anatomic Masters Club.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable but punishing initiation into racing with todays ride being a handicap event over 12 laps of the 1.9km circuit. It was a fairly small turn out with riders going off scratch, 3, 6, 9 and 12 minutes.

When I signed up, they asked me where I thought I should start and I asked to start with some of the others I've been training with on Saturdays who were going off 3 minutes, but the club handicaper decided I should go into the 6 minute group. As we lined up for the start, there were only 3 other riders in my group.

Apparantly the idea is to work as a team within your group to pass the groups in front and then be the first over the line at the end of the 12 laps.

So we finally started and 2 of the guys in my group were on a mission and about half way through the first lap I knew I was punching above my weight. As I came out of the turnaround for the second lap, I was already in trouble. I seriously need to practice going around a witches hat!!! Coming into the turn I was 2nd in the group of 4, and by the time I got around it, the other 3 riders were a good 10m away. So I had to sprint to catch them. This kept up for the next 3 laps, and by the turnaround for the 5th, the sprints to catch them had got the better of me. I pushed hard but couldn't get close.

The next lap one of the other guys in my group dropped off as well. I managed to catch him and stay with him for another lap until he jumped on the back of the 9 minute group the blew by us. I tried to jump on too, but just didn't have the legs for it.

I slogged away on my own, for the next few laps and when the 3 to go sign came up, I got a second wind, pushed really hard and managed to pass a couple of the 3 minute guys.

I have no idea where I came in the scheme of things, but I do know that when I crossed the line, I got off the bike absolutely gasping and the old legs were trembling!!!

Hopefully I'll be able to have another go next week and with a bit of luck they'll let me ride in the other group and I might have half a chance. Next week they race at the Nerang Cycling Centre, which could be interesting too. I've never been there before, and aparantly, depending on which circuit they decide to do, there are a couple of hills to get over too.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

by BNA » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:17 pm

BNA

Postby Kev365428 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:17 pm

Good job Anthony. The turnarounds are the hardest part, that's for sure.

Sounds like apart from that aspect, you managed to hold your own for while before dropping off, so things can only get better.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby KillerHeadWind » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:27 pm

Welcome to racing Anthony. Nothing like a workout in the first race. :)
KillerHeadWind

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:47 pm

Excellent racing Anthony

Think about how much you have learned in 22.8k
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby inaminit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:41 am

mikesbytes wrote:Think about how much you have learned in 22.8k

Lesson 1 - handicappers have my sort of sense of humour - twisted!

I could have swore that every time I struggled passed the line she had a grin from ear to ear :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

Postby europa » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:26 am

inaminit wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Think about how much you have learned in 22.8k

Lesson 1 - handicappers have my sort of sense of humour - twisted!

I could have swore that every time I struggled passed the line she had a grin from ear to ear :lol:

Hmm, a 'she' playing twisted games with you. Us single blokes might find that interesting 8)

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby inaminit » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:25 pm

europa wrote:Hmm, a 'she' playing twisted games with you. Us single blokes might find that interesting 8)

Richard

I hope not, she was a lovely lady who made a mighty mean cake that we indulged in with a cuppa after the race. the only thing missing was a pair of slippers and a nanna nap :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

Return to Road Biking