Penrith Lakes Racing 12/11/07

For Roadies

Penrith Lakes Racing 12/11/07

Postby KillerHeadWind » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:35 pm

What a beautiful day for racing, albeit a little windy. Racing in C grade I must admit I enjoyed the course, due to the consistently fast pace. The race was 6 laps of the 5km cicrcuit, and the overall average speed was upwards of 37 kph. Due to the windy conditions there wasn't a breakaway and the finish was a mass sprint. I got myself into a great position in the final 200 metres, sitting about 2 metres from the front runners but alas that was as close as I got, and finished in the middle of the field.
About halfway through the race, I got to the front into the wind and worked too hard as I got a little break from the pack (which wasn't what I was aiming to do) and by the time I got down to the back straight, I was a little tired and was almost left behind, as most riders accelerated for the midway sprint prize.
Fortunately I recovered during the next lap and was able to barely keep in touch with the bunch, working my way back up to the aforementioned sprint.
I love this course and I hope I can race every Monday evening. Maybe one day I'll be able to sprint like the rest of them to give them a challenge at the end.
KillerHeadWind

by BNA » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:51 pm

BNA

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:51 pm

Those are the same guys racing C grade who I race in B grade on Sundays....Paul Clarke who won your race won at Eastern Creek in B grade (vets) a few weeks ago...burglars :wink: :D :shock:
toolonglegs

Postby gururug » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:03 pm

Wanted to join at eastern creek as it is close to me, alas I am under 30 (29) and I am not allowed to join this club.

If I join at penrith am i allowed to race at eastern or is this also restricted to those over 30???
gururug

Postby Bnej » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:45 pm

Hm I've been thinking about having a go at Penrith on Mondays but so far have been put off by stories about people being really aggressive and/or offensive to other riders.

How did you find the atmosphere at the race?
Bnej

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:59 pm

gururug wrote:Wanted to join at eastern creek as it is close to me, alas I am under 30 (29) and I am not allowed to join this club.

If I join at penrith am i allowed to race at eastern or is this also restricted to those over 30???

Only restricted at Waratah's or other Vets clubs.I think someone is running Tuesday night races at the RaceWay...if you can go then you should.It is the best circuit in the country...no one can really dispute that :D
toolonglegs

Postby KillerHeadWind » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:57 pm

Bnej wrote:Hm I've been thinking about having a go at Penrith on Mondays but so far have been put off by stories about people being really aggressive and/or offensive to other riders.

How did you find the atmosphere at the race?

I didn't have a problem with the atmosphere but there were those who were targetted vocally by certain individuals, mainly when we passed over the bridge, because like Sydney traffic, nobody knows how to merge.
KillerHeadWind

Postby sandman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Killerheadwind

I can jsut imagine the congestion over that small bridge, then again the narrow bridge on the back straight. I might come down for a look anyway. I need to check out if I'd have 1/2 a chance to keep up ;-)

Cheers..Pete
sandman

Postby KillerHeadWind » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:25 pm

sandman wrote:Killerheadwind

I can jsut imagine the congestion over that small bridge, then again the narrow bridge on the back straight. I might come down for a look anyway. I need to check out if I'd have 1/2 a chance to keep up ;-)

Cheers..Pete

That's what I did first. I checked it out to see what it was like, it happened to be one of the last races of the winter season on a Sunday morning which was convenient. What I also did was ride on the inside track to see what sort of speeds the groups were doing and whether I could keep up the pace. Hence, Monday night racing is on my agenda.
KillerHeadWind

Postby 531db » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:58 pm

I went around in D Grade on Monday night. 35 starters and probably 30 up for the sprint after averaging 36.3 kph and that with a dawdle last lap.
Worked away on the front for the first 5 laps, but in the last I was pushed back a fair bit and due to the narrow track (it's actually a footpath) I could not push my way up to anywhere where I could get a shot at the sprint. Happy to stay upright and out of trouble really.

The circut would be great if was twice as wide, but it's not.

Re Eastern Creek racing. The Waratah Veteran Cycling club welcome all Cycling Australia licence holders to Sunday racing (various venues, Eastern Creek, Western Sydney Dragway, Lansdowne Park, Tennis Centre etc) PROVIDING you are a Veteran, ie if 35 and over if a male and 30 and over if female.
531db

Postby gururug » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:44 pm

No offence and nothing personal but why the "veteran" exclusivity???

What does being over 35 have to do with being a veteran?

Why lower for women??? are they "slower" than men therefore it is ok if they are younger or the older men make an exception to get a more petite view if you get my drift.

Once upon a time women were not allowed to join golf courses.
gururug

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:05 am

531db wrote:I went around in D Grade on Monday night. 35 starters and probably 30 up for the sprint after averaging 36.3 kph and that with a dawdle last lap.
Worked away on the front for the first 5 laps, but in the last I was pushed back a fair bit and due to the narrow track (it's actually a footpath) I could not push my way up to anywhere where I could get a shot at the sprint. Happy to stay upright and out of trouble really.

The circut would be great if was twice as wide, but it's not.

Re Eastern Creek racing. The Waratah Veteran Cycling club welcome all Cycling Australia licence holders to Sunday racing (various venues, Eastern Creek, Western Sydney Dragway, Lansdowne Park, Tennis Centre etc) PROVIDING you are a Veteran, ie if 35 and over if a male and 30 and over if female.

I think you will find it is 30 for guys now,as of this year master 1 classes (30-35) are included.Women of any age can race at Waratahs-the excuse is so they can have competitive racing which cant be had at open clubs,real reason is it is a lot nicer looking at girls butt than a guys :wink:
toolonglegs

Postby daacha » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:29 am

toolonglegs wrote:
gururug wrote:Wanted to join at eastern creek as it is close to me, alas I am under 30 (29) and I am not allowed to join this club.

Only restricted at Waratah's or other Vets clubs.I think someone is running Tuesday night races at the RaceWay...if you can go then you should.It is the best circuit in the country...no one can really dispute that :D

Marconi race at Eatern Creek on Tuesday nights.
daacha

Postby LuckyPierre » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:09 am

gururug wrote:No offence and nothing personal but why the "veteran" exclusivity???

'tis easy to explain. Just ask yourself the question: "In most clubs, who does most of the work?" By establishing 'veterans' clubs, most members feel that they get more return for the effort that they put in. Many of us (I'm a vet in case you couldn't guess) are also members of 'open' clubs, because as gururug says:
gururug wrote:What does being over 35 have to do with being a veteran?

gururug wrote:Why lower for women??? are they "slower" than men therefore it is ok if they are younger or the older men make an exception to get a more petite view if you get my drift.

Most Vets clubs race as 'unisex' grades, so the different age limits are an attempt to better match ability. The underlying framework of age-based grades is an international 'quasi-standard', rather than a Vets cycle club thing - they apply to most, if not all, masters / veterans events in any sport.

Personally, I do take some offence at the suggestion that older men make an exception just to get a better view.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby 531db » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:44 pm

toolonglegs wrote:

"I think you will find it is 30 for guys now,as of this year master 1 classes (30-35) are included.Women of any age can race at Waratahs-the excuse is so they can have competitive racing which cant be had at open clubs,real reason is it is a lot nicer looking at girls butt than a guys"

I'm a Waratah member, it seems that the mens age has been lowered to 30 recently, but the limit is still 30 for women as well.
531db

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:56 am

531db wrote:toolonglegs wrote:

"I think you will find it is 30 for guys now,as of this year master 1 classes (30-35) are included.Women of any age can race at Waratahs-the excuse is so they can have competitive racing which cant be had at open clubs,real reason is it is a lot nicer looking at girls butt than a guys"

I'm a Waratah member, it seems that the mens age has been lowered to 30 recently, but the limit is still 30 for women as well.

in waratahs website it says women of any age....
toolonglegs

Postby 531db » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:19 pm

toolonglegs wrote:

"in waratahs website it says women of any age.... "

I checked the Waratah website and on the 'Home' page, it says:

"Welcome to the Waratah Veteran Cyclists Club, the only cycling club in NSW catering exclusively for Masters cycling. We hold regular Sunday morning races for men and women over the age of 30 in a supportive spirit of friendly competition. We race in six grades to suit ability not age and cater for all abilities from the rank beginner to the world champion."

Yep, that's what I thought....

Then I looked at the 'About Us' page and it says:

"Events are graded and open to all cyclists over 30. We have members in their seventies still actively competing and the average age of the Club is 50 +. As a special concession women younger than 30 are allowed to race with us, so as to afford them regular competitive racing which they cannot get elsewhere."

Well that was certainly news to me!

As I now understand it, to be a Waratah member, you have to be 30 or over, but female members of other clubs are welcome to ride in Waratah events.
531db

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:38 pm

LOL, so there isn't any regular competitive racing for females under 30 ?

UM, what rock are they hiding under?
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Road Biking