From D grade to A Grade in 1 year?

trailgumby

Re: From D grade to A Grade in 1 year?

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:17 pm

TB no doubt employs a coach who knows his stuff. That makes a huge difference, as much if not more than being decently fit in the frst place. Knowing how to train and when, what energy systems to train and when, what weaknesses to address and how, and how to recover properly, when to do so and how long for is always going to beat just riding around with a vague plan in your head, like most of us do.

Does our friend with aspirations know what he is doing with his training and recovery?

Physiological adaptations take a couple of years to really kick in if you are starting from an untrained base. Given that genuine, competitive a-graders have natural talent and several years head start on the training, our OP's mate is pushing seriously uphill...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:26 am

I heard that Balysis is doing 1000k a week, don't know if its true
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:34 am

Troy Bayliss has been doing big Ks for many years on the treadly. He also knows about commitment to training and what is required to make it in elite competition. :idea:

Unless said teenager has been doing the Ks and some form of racing , previous to his starting his quest in road or track racing, then I think it will be eighteen months to two years time for his A grade start, unless the level of competition is of a low standard in his area. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:21 pm

TrackPete wrote:I have a friend that thinks he could go from being a D grade rider to a A grade rider within one year.
in the immortal words of Darryl Kerrigan, Tell him he's dreamin'!
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:34 pm

O.K. - what the heck are "roadie grapes"? Is this a suggestion that roadies have very small testicles?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

rogan

Postby rogan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:38 pm

re "roadie grapes" - it made me think of dingleberries, but truly, I dunno...

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:30 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I heard that Balysis is doing 1000k a week, don't know if its true
Maybe he and Troy Bayliss should get together :P
FPR Ragamuffin

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:09 am

JV911 wrote:
TrackPete wrote:I have a friend that thinks he could go from being a D grade rider to a A grade rider within one year.
in the immortal words of Darryl Kerrigan, Tell him he's dreamin'!
Now there's a real philosopher :)
FPR Jubilado Bludger

24HourDog

Postby 24HourDog » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:52 am

D to A

It's not all about the fitness. I don't believe an A grade peloton would be happy with an ex triathlete with less than 12 months roadie racing experience riding amongst them at speed.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:19 am

^^ Why not? ^^ :?
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

heay

Postby heay » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 am

foo on patrol wrote:^^ Why not? ^^ :?
Because he would not how to draft as you are not allowed to in Tri's. You can learn it but he would still be very inexperienced in 12 months. I'm about to do my first year of racing and going by what some riders I ride with at times they say I will make B grade by the end of the season, but I will take it one step at a time and see how it all pans out.

philip

Postby philip » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:09 am

heay wrote:You can learn it but he would still be very inexperienced in 12 months
I don't think so.. it's not rocket surgery

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:10 am

Good luck with you and joining the roadie ranks. :)

It doesn't take long to get used to drafting/sitting a wheel. :wink: Don't you train or ride in groups at times.?

Foo
Goal 6000km

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm assuming from what has been stated that there is nothing extraordinary about this bloke.

I have never competed and would not have any idea what these levels represent. However, I do know from experience of keen-as-mustard, heart-as-big-as-a-buffalo blokes in other sports that said alpha males can (occassionally) mix it (poorly) with athletes above their league but do it so close to their inexperienced and unappreciative understanding that the risks are met by the others while they blithely give themselves pats on their back thinking "this isn't so tough".

And it also often shows a disrespect for the abilities of those who have done the hard yards.

Why the hurry? Bragging rights? Tell your mate to play video games to meet his need for fantasy heroics. And to apply himself sensibly to cycling and do what successful cyclists have done before him.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:31 pm

Never rode D grade so I can't tell you about it. :)
Riding in 'A' Grade, doesn't necessarily make you a "class" rider.
(means you've left 'B' Grade behind, for now, but you could be back :wink: )
Winning 'A' Grade regularly makes you a respected rider,
with a chance you might become a "Champion" in the future.
(talk is cheap) :|
From my experience. :D
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

heay

Postby heay » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:19 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Good luck with you and joining the roadie ranks. :)

It doesn't take long to get used to drafting/sitting a wheel. :wink: Don't you train or ride in groups at times.?

Foo
Yes I do. But it took me ages to use to being so close, everytime I got near the back wheel I freaked and went to the back of the bunch. I have not raced yet but done plenty of practice. I also come from a running background of 24 years so a completely different sport so it was a change for myself. I have learnt a fair bit over the last 18 months by putting the correct people around myself and asking more than enogh questions.

24HourDog

Postby 24HourDog » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:04 pm

heay wrote:
Yes I do. But it took me ages to use to being so close, everytime I got near the back wheel I freaked and went to the back of the bunch. I have not raced yet but done plenty of practice. I also come from a running background of 24 years so a completely different sport so it was a change for myself. I have learnt a fair bit over the last 18 months by putting the correct people around myself and asking more than enogh questions.
With an attitude like that you will be more than welcome in any peloton.

dog

heay

Postby heay » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:21 pm

24HourDog wrote:
heay wrote:
With an attitude like that you will be more than welcome in any peloton.

dog
Thanks.

I have aways taken time to build into anything I have put my body and mind too. This one of the reasons I have not competed until I thought I had all the skills that is needed which I do now have. I do know that every race is different and that anything can happen you just need to have the guts to take a chance if it is in front of you, if it back fires than you have learnt something new and learn from your mistakes.

I really enjoy the social aspect of the cycling community something I did not have in runnning as it is an individual sport.

Redbull

From D grade to A Grade in 1 year?

Postby Redbull » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Holding the wheel wouldn't be my main worry,it would be holding your line when cornering.

People who are not confident tend to either brake to hard, to early, or worse - too late. Also they can swing wide through the corner - that's when the eyes open wide!!!!
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:17 pm

I've seen it happen a couple of times with people who start out in D-grade but already have an A-grade fitness level. If your friend is currently getting dropped in D-grade then in my opionion it would be almost impossible for him to improve sufficiently in 1 year to make it up to A-grade, unless he is very naturally gifted.

Romper

Postby Romper » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:34 pm

Gonna see if I can hold on in the state champs, last race i did was dropped by a fast C grade. Got about 5 months
Romper! now stiff yet vertically compliant

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:23 pm

He could go from D grade to A grade in one week if he wanted.
If he won his first D grade race easily...then C within a couple of weeks...then B once he got his skills up...then maybe he will hang on in A.
IMO the jump to A grade is bigger than all the others because once you are in A there is no where else to go...so you have very strong riders and guys for pack fodder who will never win.
Saying that I wouldn't finish a Cat 5 race at the moment...fingers crossed I will be win a Cat 1 race before September...but having a Cat 1 license means I won't get to race any where for a long time :| .No burglars here unlike Oz!.

Edit:I suppose it depends on field sizes as well...I haven't seen a local Cat 1 race here with less than 40 riders...usually 80 to 100 :D .But I have seen many club races in Sydney with only 4 or 5 A graders.

jchamp51

Postby jchamp51 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:30 am

As someone back to cycling after 40yrs off and only started to keep fit, I am getting more and more interested.
can someone give me an understanding of what times a D verses a A grader consistanly has to acheive.
What grade would a 57yr beginer be in.
John
Giant XTC 29er
Specialized Roubaix Carbon Road Bike

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:49 am

jchamp51 wrote:As someone back to cycling after 40yrs off and only started to keep fit, I am getting more and more interested.
can someone give me an understanding of what times a D verses a A grader consistanly has to acheive.
What grade would a 57yr beginer be in.
John
+ 1.
I'd like to do some crits and road races this year (53yo).

Would anyone here know what pace a D grade crit (I live in Nth Qld) might average and also a road race like the Tour de Tablelands?

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 am

foo on patrol wrote:^^ Why not? ^^ :?
if you've ever been on a bunch ride/race with a trathlete in the mix you'll know why...
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->