Punctured tubular

Parrott

Punctured tubular

Postby Parrott » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Just want to confirm my punctured vittoria evo ks single is a throw away item?

First flat I've had in 2 years of running singles on my race wheels so not a bad run. Just a pity it was the front that is hardly worn.

brendeng

Re: Punctured tubular

Postby brendeng » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:55 pm

There are some products out there to put in tubular tyres to fix punctures. I rode Tufo Tubular Clinchers for a while and they comes with this stuff ...
http://www.tufo.com/tufo-tyre-sealant/ ... The extreme one is for use after getting the puncture. It says it is for use with all Tufo tyres, can't see any reason why it wouldn't work with another type of Tubular. I think there are some products out there from other companies to do the same sort of job.

Brenden
Fondriest TF2, Dura-Ace, Deda Cockpit, TWE 50 Carbon Clincher wheelset, Gore Cables, Elite Cages, Selle Italia SLR Team
Look 695 SR, Dura-Ace Di2, FSA Carbon Bars, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's, Elite Cages, Prologo Nago Evo

Parrott

Punctured tubular

Postby Parrott » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks, I can't remove the valve without taking the tyre off the rim (85 mm) so I might keep it as a spare.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Are we talking glue on or clincher here?
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Punctured "Tubular" = Glued on.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:29 pm

Easily fixed with a can of PitStop or Espresso which contains latex & has proven it self thousands of times in repairing mtb & road tyres. About $25 retail. Just shove it on the valve & let it rip.

http://www.effettomariposa.com/prodotti_en.html

Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

Parrott

Punctured tubular

Postby Parrott » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:08 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Easily fixed with a can of PitStop or Espresso which contains latex & has proven it self thousands of times in repairing mtb & road tyres. About $25 retail. Just shove it on the valve & let it rip.

http://www.effettomariposa.com/prodotti_en.html

I've got a couple of cans of pitstop but understood it is only a get you home fix? I've never actually used the stuff yet.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Parrott wrote:

I've got a couple of cans of pitstop but understood it is only a get you home fix? I've never actually used the stuff yet.
From their website------------->permanently repairs tubular and clincher inner tubes with a latex foam that vulcanizes and seals the tube. Will fix most punctures where a thorn, nail or small fragment of glass has penetrated the tube.

Ideal for rapid on the road repairs especially Triathlon
Inflates a 21mm tubular up to 6.5bar (91psi) and a clincher tire up to 6bar (84psi)
Permanantly repairs punctures
Provides up to 3 months flat-protection after injection (the latex foam acts as anti-pucture)
Low weight weighs just 70g and adds just 18g to a repaired tube
Universal nozzle can be easily used with any valve without need for an adapter

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:Punctured "Tubular" = Glued on.
I realise that, but the second post was talking about Tufo Tubular Clincher, so I thought I was missing something. :?
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

brendeng

Postby brendeng » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:19 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
aeroslavebigbelly wrote:Punctured "Tubular" = Glued on.
I realise that, but the second post was talking about Tufo Tubular Clincher, so I thought I was missing something. :?
Tufo makes a range of Tubular's that are run on a Clincher bead ... http://www.tufo.com/c-s33-pro/ ... sort of the best of both worlds. I ran them for a while, I like to give some different things a go. At 160psi on a good stiff wheel, they were ultra quick.
Fondriest TF2, Dura-Ace, Deda Cockpit, TWE 50 Carbon Clincher wheelset, Gore Cables, Elite Cages, Selle Italia SLR Team
Look 695 SR, Dura-Ace Di2, FSA Carbon Bars, Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's, Elite Cages, Prologo Nago Evo

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Well there you go! Thanks for that Brendeg, they would be fast. 8)
Goal 6000km

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 pm

ZepinAtor wrote: From their website------------->permanently repairs tubular and clincher inner tubes with a latex foam that vulcanizes and seals the tube. Will fix most punctures where a thorn, nail or small fragment of glass has penetrated the tube.

Ideal for rapid on the road repairs especially Triathlon
Inflates a 21mm tubular up to 6.5bar (91psi) and a clincher tire up to 6bar (84psi)
Permanantly repairs punctures
Provides up to 3 months flat-protection after injection (the latex foam acts as anti-pucture)
Low weight weighs just 70g and adds just 18g to a repaired tube
Universal nozzle can be easily used with any valve without need for an adapter
Great, I had a look and it was as you quoted thanks. I will give one can a go tomorrow thanks.

Parrott

Punctured tubular

Postby Parrott » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Gave the pit stop a blast today. Seems to have worked, the tyre has held its air for a couple of hours so far. Put a 170 psi in it. The leak was a slowish one anyway but quicker than 2 hrs.

Couldn't find a 3 corner jack or any other likely culprit in the tyre. Plenty of cuts nicks and pinholes when you look closely at the outside of the tyre though.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Parrott wrote:Gave the pit stop a blast today. Seems to have worked, the tyre has held its air for a couple of hours so far. Put a 170 psi in it. The leak was a slowish one anyway but quicker than 2 hrs.

Couldn't find a 3 corner jack or any other likely culprit in the tyre. Plenty of cuts nicks and pinholes when you look closely at the outside of the tyre though.
Don't forget that compressed air from CO2 canisters only lasts 24hrs. Something to do with the molecules being smaller than regular air from a hand pump hence escaping & resulting in a fairly flat tyre by tomorrow.

If you bother reading the side of a CO2 canister it says only for emergency use & to replace with regular air as soon as practical/ possible.

Parrott

Punctured tubular

Postby Parrott » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:11 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
Parrott wrote:Gave the pit stop a blast today. Seems to have worked, the tyre has held its air for a couple of hours so far. Put a 170 psi in it. The leak was a slowish one anyway but quicker than 2 hrs.

Don't forget that compressed air from CO2 canisters only lasts 24hrs. Something to do with the molecules being smaller than regular air from a hand pump hence escaping & resulting in a fairly flat tyre by tomorrow.

If you bother reading the side of a CO2 canister it says only for emergency use & to replace with regular air as soon as practical/ possible.

No worries they usually lose a fair bit of air overnight anyway because of the latex tube. It's still pretty hard now, I have a 16k tt tomorrow arvo so I'll see how it goes. Looks like you've saved me throwing out the tyre unnecessarily :)

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:45 pm

Hope your tyre continues to hold up.

For the record tubulars can be repaired and it is just about as complicated and has the same amount of black magic attributed to it as building wheels. In other words whilst pretty much anyone can do it, but not many can be bothered finding out how and would prefer to pay someone else (and it gets easier with practice :-( ).

There is an article by Jobst Brandt on Sheldon's site here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html and quite a thread on it here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... um.php?f=3.

BTW tyre sealants make repairs difficult, so it would seem that there are the two schools of thought, the sealers and throwers, and the repairers. For a while the only tubulars that I used were other people's cast offs that I had repaired (before sealants). The biggest problem I've found is finding a suitable glue to re-attach the base tape to the tyre.

Cheers,

Cameron

Parrott

Postby Parrott » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:55 pm

ironhanglider wrote:Hope your tyre continues to hold up.

For the record tubulars can be repaired and it is just about as complicated and has the same amount of black magic attributed to it as building wheels. In other words whilst pretty much anyone can do it, but not many can be bothered finding out how and would prefer to pay someone else (and it gets easier with practice :-( ).

There is an article by Jobst Brandt on Sheldon's site here http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/tubular-repair.html and quite a thread on it here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... um.php?f=3.

BTW tyre sealants make repairs difficult, so it would seem that there are the two schools of thought, the sealers and throwers, and the repairers. For a while the only tubulars that I used were other people's cast offs that I had repaired (before sealants). The biggest problem I've found is finding a suitable glue to re-attach the base tape to the tyre.

Cheers,

Cameron
Thanks for the link, after reading it I'm one of those sealers and chuckers, looks like more effort and time than I am prepared to invest. One puncture in two years I'm happy with, considering the amount of caltrop we get here at certain times of the year.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:58 pm

I never ever replaced the base tape once the stitching was done! :?
Goal 6000km

Parrott

Punctured tubular

Postby Parrott » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:19 am

Did my tt and all good. Thanks again Zepinator.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am

Parrott wrote:Did my tt and all good. Thanks again Zepinator.
What was your average speed ?

Parrott

Punctured tubular

Postby Parrott » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 am

Bit off my pb the seat came loose and the nose dropped on the 2nd lap 21:30 ish I think my time was.