hub axle diameter size for bontrager?

jeff_o

hub axle diameter size for bontrager?

Postby jeff_o » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:11 pm

I was trying my mate's front wheelset on my bike. I had a Shimano hub but his is Bontrager (from a Trek Madone 5.2SL) and his doesn't fit because i saw his axle couldn't fit on the fork dropouts. It's kinda weird coz Sheldon brown's website says mine should be 10mm which is the biggest from them all, but his Bontrager is bigger than mine?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/axles.html

JV911

Re: hub axle diameter size for bontrager?

Postby JV911 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 am

jeff_o wrote:but his Bontrager is bigger than mine?
highly unlikely - roadies are standardised these days. i doubt bontrager would make wheels specifically to fit trek bikes only
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

jeff_o

Postby jeff_o » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:34 am

hi.... i measured my axle and it's 9mm. i dunno where sheldon brown got 10mm, maybe newer Shimanos? coz mine are like 1995s.

zero

Postby zero » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:42 am

jeff_o wrote:hi.... i measured my axle and it's 9mm. i dunno where sheldon brown got 10mm, maybe newer Shimanos? coz mine are like 1995s.
When I read his table I see - 9mm front shimano, 10mm rear shimano.

I have a set of bontragers on my teschner, which is a completely ordinary road frame with the original fork, they aren't trek specific. Maybe offer the axle/wheel up to the outside of a dropout to see whether its not fitting or some other interference is occuring ?

jeff_o

Postby jeff_o » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:48 am

zero wrote:
jeff_o wrote:hi.... i measured my axle and it's 9mm. i dunno where sheldon brown got 10mm, maybe newer Shimanos? coz mine are like 1995s.
When I read his table I see - 9mm front shimano, 10mm rear shimano.

I have a set of bontragers on my teschner, which is a completely ordinary road frame with the original fork, they aren't trek specific. Maybe offer the axle/wheel up to the outside of a dropout to see whether its not fitting or some other interference is occuring ?
oh haha my bad. yup fronts are 9mm and rear are 10mm. i did that, tried pairing 1 outer side of the fork dropout to the 1 outer side of the bontrager hub... it does not fit :( hmmm i'm going to measure it exactly tonight and see :) i was sneaking my flatmate's wheelset into mine to see if they can fit so i can borrow them haha... i guess it won't be that easy :p