Smeaton Grange Racing - 02/12/07

For Roadies

Smeaton Grange Racing - 02/12/07

Postby Kev365428 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:46 am

Did my 20km warm-up ride on the way out to the course. Felt a little tired on the way out so took it easy.

Started the race and for the next 10 minutes I moved up and back within the pack. At about the 5 minute mark, I pushed the pace up a little to see how the pack would respond, and as I thought, they pretty much stayed with me, so I dropped back to have a rest.

For the last 5 minutes of the race, I was sitting on the wheel of a young girl in our grade (best guess is that she was about 14 or so), just forcing her to keep at the front for a while. Lets face it, she's about 60kg lighter and 30 years younger, so she can do most of the work IMHO :wink:

With three to go, the pace quickened slightly, but then slowed again on the slight uphill back section of the course, I was going to make a move with 2 1/2 to go, but I felt like I didn't have the energy to hold off the pack for that long, so I stuck it out in second or third until we got the last lap bell.

At the first hairpin corner I was in second behind the young'un. Half way around the corner she jammed on the brakes and I was darn close to touching wheels but just managed to avoid it. Wonder if she did it on purpose to put me off? Anyway, about 300 meters past the hairpin, and with about 1500 meters to go, I launched off the back of her and managed to break away from her, and the group.

Hairpin turns are a bugger of a thing. They allow a following group to catch up pretty quickly, especially if the rider out in front (me) is lousy at accelerating away. To add to this, we had caught up to C grade (who only passed us a lap before) as they had slowed to rest a bit. This made my entry and exit into the hairpin the slowest of the whole race.

Bit my lip and got out of the saddle to get out of the hairpin as fast as I could, rode around the C graders and into the left hand sweeper and headed for home. It was at this point that I realised my error. The 14y.o whippet in D grade (not the young girl I mentioned earlier, but a young bloke) came whistling past me like I was standing still, and on his wheel were at least 5 others who also blew past me. :shock:

Dejected and tired, I sat up for the final 150 meters and I think another 1 or 2 past me there as well. :cry:

So this weeks training will include going flat out for 2km at a time. Practice hairpin turns, and master the art of "The pit manouver" as seen on Cops. :lol:

Anyway, I can't be disappointed. I had to try something different and it didn't come off. No big deal. Didn't loose the house on it. Try a different tactic next week - surge and rest, surge and rest, surge and rest, rest, rest.....

Kev.
Kev365428

by BNA » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:50 pm

BNA

Postby Deanj » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:50 pm

Brave effort Kev, shame it didn't come off for you. Next time!
Deanj

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:41 pm

Kev, great to see you gave it a go. Personally I wouldn't feel dejected, I would see it as lessons learnt.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:30 pm

You would be more annoyed if you didn't try something and got no where in the sprint.Better to be a mover & shaker than a limpet.
mmmm....talking of limpets!...hope no one here was one of the two rude buggers that jumped on my wheel on the M7 cycle path.I really dont like people sitting on my wheel with out at least saying hello.I was doing at least 3-5k an hour quicker than them as i pulled them in from a long way back but once they jumped on I am like sitting behind a bus.Then after about 5 k's they both decided they would sprint past me at full(cough)speed then 50meters later i caught them again and straight past...at which stage i put down the hammer and only one could hold on...about 3 k's latter he thought he would go past me again at full speed(no not sharing a turn once)...but he soon realised once out from behind me there was actually some wind out front so i passed him again within 25meters and really put the hammer down...bye bye.
Did mean the 40k's after my race averaged 34.5kph and hr stay at 170 so i must of had a wee bit left.
So all in all a very fast 120km with a few slow bits chucked in :D
Good day to be riding :D :D :D
Bad day to try and hold my wheel :shock: :shock: :shock:
toolonglegs

Postby KillerHeadWind » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:42 pm

Good on ya for having a go there Kev.

As for the M7 this morning, I was surprised by the lack of cyclists on there considering the beautiful morning it was. I couldn't even get into double figures the amount I saw. Sorry toolong it wasn't me, I cruised along on the motorway itself both ways and I tend to find I get drafted a bit as well, but I don't have the legs to bolt away from them, I can only bore them to death by slowly turning the screws 1kph at a time.
KillerHeadWind

Return to Road Biking