pros n cons of a long handlebar?

For Roadies

pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby jeff_o » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 pm

i was measuring and weighing my bike the other night, and only to realize i'm using a 40cm handlebar. i thought i was using a 42 or 44.

if I switch to 42 or 44, what are the advantages? more stable steering? but isn't that affected by a long/short stem as well?
jeff_o
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: 2113, NSW

by BNA » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:05 pm

BNA
 

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby Strawburger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:05 pm

I went the other way - changed from a 42 to a 38. Increased stability in my case - less twitchy and cornering has improved. I've got a short & narrow body. The handlebar size should relate to shoulder width.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
User avatar
Strawburger
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm
Location: Dulwich Hill, Sydney

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby philip » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Strange that you say it's less twitchy Strawburger, smaller bars should make it twitchier because the same amount of bar movement will result in a larger wheel movement, which is what I've noticed when going from 44-42.

Some people say they can get more leverage during a sprint with wider bars. I went to 42 from 44 because I felt that 44 was too wide, it felt like my arms were going outwards from my shoulders slightly, making me less aero too. I have found 42 much more comfortable. It's really just a personal thing, go with what you're comfortable with.
User avatar
philip
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Lane Cove, Sydney

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby jeff_o » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:41 pm

that's what i feel when i sprint.... unstable with the bars. i think i should go with a 42 or 44. haha one good reason for upgrade... but I'm sure it will be hard to find a 42 or 44 bar for me as I'm using a 1" quill stem. :(
jeff_o
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: 2113, NSW

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby Strawburger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:45 pm

philip wrote:Strange that you say it's less twitchy Strawburger, smaller bars should make it twitchier because the same amount of bar movement will result in a larger wheel movement, which is what I've noticed when going from 44-42.


Yeah it's a strange one i agree - Wider bars = less twitch. Perhaps my set up was such that my weight/strength wasn't evenly distributed causing it to twitch. Bringing the bars in has helped handling significantly. I'm no longer reaching out to the bars, it feels more natural where they are now.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
User avatar
Strawburger
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm
Location: Dulwich Hill, Sydney

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby sogood » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Narrow bars are more aero as width is a major factor in the Cd number. So theoretically giving a higher sprinting top speed and extended energy saving on a long ride. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17082
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:43 pm

philip wrote:Some people say they can get more leverage during a sprint with wider bars.
I've found this. I went wider on the MTB from about 55 to 68cm and immediately noticed I could push bigger gears. SS MTBers who often struggle with high loads find wider bars better. Not helping with road, but a good example of what you're talking about. I use a 38cm drop bar on the road though.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6723
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby jeff_o » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Nobody wrote:
philip wrote:Some people say they can get more leverage during a sprint with wider bars.
I've found this. I went wider on the MTB from about 55 to 68cm and immediately noticed I could push bigger gears. SS MTBers who often struggle with high loads find wider bars better. Not helping with road, but a good example of what you're talking about. I use a 38cm drop bar on the road though.


nobody, what's your height and weight if you don't mind me asking? i'm 5-9 and 69kgs. i measured my shoulders just now and it came up as 42cm :D measured on imaginary center to center of shoulders topview.
jeff_o
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: 2113, NSW

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:42 pm

No, I don't mind.
80Kg
173cm or 5'8"

I went to a Naturopath briefly who said I should be 73Kg. Most people that actually meet me usually disagree and think my current weight is about right (medium build). But then we live in a country with a lot of "heavy" people, so reference is probably skewed.
I don't have wide shoulders.
My racing weight many years ago was about 68Kg, but I looked like I badly needed a feed. :)
Last edited by Nobody on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6723
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby jeff_o » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Nobody wrote:No, I don't mind.
80Kg
173cm or 5'8"

I went to a Naturopath briefly who said I should be 73Kg. Most people that actually meet me usually disagree and think my current weight is about right (medium build). But I don't have wide shoulders.
My racing weight many years ago was about 68Kg, but I looked like I badly needed a feed. :)


:oops: shows that i'm underweight... hehe :D
jeff_o
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: 2113, NSW

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby JV911 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:18 am

jeff_o wrote:i was measuring and weighing my bike the other night, and only to realize i'm using a 40cm handlebar. i thought i was using a 42 or 44.

if I switch to 42 or 44, what are the advantages? more stable steering? but isn't that affected by a long/short stem as well?


how broad are your shoulders??
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

User avatar
JV911
 
Posts: 5451
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:22 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: pros n cons of a long handlebar?

Postby jeff_o » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:57 am

JV911 wrote:
jeff_o wrote:i was measuring and weighing my bike the other night, and only to realize i'm using a 40cm handlebar. i thought i was using a 42 or 44.

if I switch to 42 or 44, what are the advantages? more stable steering? but isn't that affected by a long/short stem as well?


how broad are your shoulders??


i measured my shoulder and came up approx 42cm center to center top view
jeff_o
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: 2113, NSW


Return to Road Biking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KL.



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers