9 speed chain mistake.

For Roadies

9 speed chain mistake.

Postby jeff_o » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:45 am

sigh... bought a yaban 9 speed high end chain yesterday to install to my old 8 speed HG system. shifting is not as crisp as it was before. although ideally moving up 1 step narrower shouldn't be any problem... but it made shifting ugly.

it doesn't have anything to do with length does it? because i also shortened from 108 to 106 length, not sure if it has something to do with the last roller being nearer or farther the cogs due to shortened chain?
jeff_o

by BNA » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:47 am

BNA

Re: 9 speed chain mistake.

Postby trailgumby » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:47 am

The 9-speed chain is narrower by several tenths of a millimetre. That's more than enough to make it hang up coming off the teeth of the cog or chainring when shifting.

Get an 8-speed chain.
trailgumby

Postby rkelsen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 pm

jeff_o wrote:sigh... bought a yaban 9 speed high end chain yesterday to install to my old 8 speed HG system. shifting is not as crisp as it was before. although ideally moving up 1 step narrower shouldn't be any problem... but it made shifting ugly.

9 & 10 speed chains are Super Narrow, which is 11/128". Hence, the incompatibility with 5, 6, 7 and 8 speed systems, which are designed for 3/32" chain.

As above, you need a 7 or 8 speed chain, which is Narrow 3/32". Don't use 5 or 6 speed chain though, because it has wider rivets and they'll rub on your derailleurs.
rkelsen

Postby jeff_o » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:40 pm

was reading through sheldon brown's website and read that moving up 1 speed from 8s to 9s chain shouldn't pose any serious problems. which is kinda true... because this is not so serious.

after analyzing further a bit..., the narrower the chain, the more it will move with the rollers due to smaller play, which is possibly right, but i wasn't able to analyze the part where your outer plates are narrower and it will be harder for it to reach up the next cog, shifting down to smaller cog shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html
jeff_o

Postby master6 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:36 pm

jeff_o wrote:was reading through sheldon brown's website and read that moving up 1 speed from 8s to 9s chain shouldn't pose any serious problems. which is kinda true... because this is not so serious.

after analyzing further a bit..., the narrower the chain, the more it will move with the rollers due to smaller play, which is possibly right, but i wasn't able to analyze the part where your outer plates are narrower and it will be harder for it to reach up the next cog, shifting down to smaller cog shouldn't be a problem.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html

CAUGHT YA Jeff!!!!!! You were the fella wanting to convert 32 spokes to 28. Now 2 less links to save weight.

Have you considered shorter cranks to save weight?
master6

Postby jeff_o » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:43 pm

master6 wrote:CAUGHT YA Jeff!!!!!! You were the fella wanting to convert 32 spokes to 28. Now 2 less links to save weight.

Have you considered shorter cranks to save weight?

lol.... it's 36 to 28 not 32 :p but yeah haha it's me. and 2 less links to save weight... but i got the wrong chain :(

i have 170mm cranks already. actually i think i should be running 172.5 for my height of 175cm. but it's already there :D was thinking maybe i should convert to compact cranks to save weight. i'm currently running 53-42 (or 52-41) i think? what are typical compact chainring sizes? the problem is it's an old bike. i'll just have headache looking for compact cranks for it :D
jeff_o

Return to Road Biking