Chopped Saddles - why?

X-wing

Chopped Saddles - why?

Postby X-wing » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Hi guys, I have a dumb question about saddles used by racers.

I have seen (I think specifically on TT bikes but I am not sure) that the nose of the saddle gets chopped off, making it a blunt looking item.

So far all I have been able to ascertain is that it is to meet 'the rules'... but I haven't been able to find which rule is being met.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? Why do they do it, and what rule is being addressed by taking to the saddle with a saw?

Regards,
Marcus

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:28 pm

The nose of the saddle must be a certain distance behind the bb,cant remember the exact distance...so by cutting the nose off you can bring the saddle way forward.Further forward equals more power in an aero position.But they want to stop you moving too far forward into a superman position...think graeme obree.
I did a big turn in my race on sunday sitting right on the nose hauling in a breakaway...not very comfy but you can put some real power down.

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:41 pm

:idea: Ahhh, thanks TooLong, that makes sense now.

I was trying to work out where the advantage could be, but extra power when tucked down in aero is well and truly worth 'the look'.

Cheers mate.

Marcus

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:58 am

With a time trial cyclist tucked down low in an aero position, he is putting a lot of pressure on his private bits, so if he cuts the nose off the saddle, he is eliminating a pressure point.