Must be getting old!

For Roadies

Must be getting old!

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:20 pm

Two days on from my 120k ride on Sunday,I did punish myself...I was in the mood to suffer but boy,getting old makes it take a lot longer to recover!.Still got heavy legs and no motivation to touch the bike.Hopefully tommorow!!!.
toolonglegs

by BNA » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:33 pm

BNA

Postby sogood » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:33 pm

Glad to know that I am not the only lazy one. Mon and Tues are my off-days after hard Sun rides. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:42 pm

I always feel better if I go straight to sleep after a big or very hard ride,but always get the guilts about going out for 4 hours and then having a nanny nap!.
I want to ride everyday but is becoming a struggle...need to ramp up the k's a wee lot so will have to devise a way!
toolonglegs

Postby sogood » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:56 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I always feel better if I go straight to sleep after a big or very hard ride,but always get the guilts about going out for 4 hours and then having a nanny nap!

Me too. But it definitely don't work well within a family structure. It's one thing to disappear b/n 6-10am on Sundays, but another to sleep for the next 4 hours.
sogood

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:28 pm

Sounds like you might be over-trained (or getting that way). You need to take a break for the body to recover effectively.

Have you checked your resting heart rate lately (ie before getting out of bed)? If it's a little elevated, you probably need to a good rest.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:32 pm

I have been over trained before but back in the day :lol: .
I think it is just general tiredness.My twins wake up at 5am every morning and I get up every morning, even thou I go to bed between 9-11 usually I still feel tired.
Also the heat really gets to me and it is not that hot yet!.
I am not training that hard yet,300k's a week is pretty easy if I find the time.I wanted to get a few 5-600k weeks in before a few big races I have coming up but I haven't found the time.
My resting heart rate is between 39-45bpm which is OK.
I also feel great once on the bike...
I think the combination of trying to lose weight and train takes its toll,thats why I have plateaued a bit in the Garfield stakes.
I take confidence in the fact that the guys I race with are much closer to their peak and ideal weights than me.I am doing no specific training at the moment and the only real intensity I do is racing.So if I can lose the 15 kgs and get to a peak who knows...maybee an A grade win :lol:
toolonglegs

Postby sogood » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:43 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My resting heart rate is between 39-45bpm which is OK.

You'll need a pacemaker implanted if you go any lower. :wink:

Yet again, Miguel Indurain had a resting HR of 28 during his peak. :roll:
sogood

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:25 pm

28 is rather low isnt it!...I cant remeber my lowest,I think I have seen around 34-35 but will never see that again.My problem is I have a big pumper and good range in heart rate.39-195.But I haven't got a huge lung capacity,add into that exercise induced asthma and it knocks my max down a lot.Oh well i am never going to be pro so gotta make the most of what we have!!!
toolonglegs

Postby sogood » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:24 pm

Yes, I find it a bit hard to believe that he can still walk around comfortably at 28bpm too. 40-45bpm is very very low already, but 28 is pretty wild.
sogood

Postby rider06 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:52 pm

If you are still struggling after a couple of days there are 2 things to look at:

1 is nutrition - even though you are trying to lose weight you still have to refuel your body properly and some would suggest even eating more to compensate for the added training

2 is proper recovery - if you smash yourself and then do nothing your body will not thank you at all. The best thing to do even though it can be boring and will be a bit painful to start off with is to do a proper warm down post ride to help get rid of acid and metabolite buildup in the muscle and also to do some recovery work the next day. This could be a short, low intensity ride or even a light jog or walk (take the kids - if feasible). Now that it is warmer a swim would be good too and all of the above could help with a bit of cross training just to give the cycling muscles a break

That's just my 2 cents...
Rehab is for quitters!
rider06

Return to Road Biking