Road Racing - Melbourne

For Roadies

Road Racing - Melbourne

Postby Rider123 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:10 pm

I've recently joined Carnegie Caulfield Cycling Club and have competed in a few criteriums, really enjoyed doing them.
With the criterium season wrapping up, i was wondering about road races/time trials during the winter.

Just wondering how many road races there are during the winter and the times/days for these races. How far are a typical road race
Also, are road races on closed roads or are they conducted on open roads?

Thanks for any advice.
Rider123

by BNA » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm

BNA

Re: Road Racing - Melbourne

Postby AllDan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Hey

Don't lose hope just yet - Glenvale racing still has at least another month or so to go...
Road racing is typically Saturdays - ask your club for the winter calendar once it's finalised, then you can plan your season. Clubs will sometimes have gaps in the calendar because of open races - half of the regular riders might not be there due to racing at the higher level.

The distances vary with the grade your in and the difficulty of the course, D-C grades might to 50-60km, B-A grades might do 70-80km in a scratch race. In handicaps everyone races the same distance but starts are staggered.

Most races are held on open roads but they tend to be out of town and on quieter roads - this is why there are signs, marshalls with flags and safety cars at these races. Make sure you stay out of the oncoming traffic lane!

For an example, here's my club's 2011 winter calendar to give you an idea
http://www.geelongcycling.com/race-results/geelong-cycling-club-news/53-club-announcements/512-draft-2011-winter-road-calendar-now-available-nominate-your-marshalling-dates

cheers
AllDan

Postby toppity » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:24 pm

CCCC used to have races every weekend over winter, though it's been a while since I've raced with them. Most clubs have a weekly road race, check out their respective calendars. Where abouts do you live?
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.
toppity

Postby Rider123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:04 pm

I live in South-Eastern Metro Area (around Forest Hill). I've currently only got a 3-race permit and will be looking to upgrade that to a cycling licence. Will most likely join with CCCC unless there are any better suggestions...
(I am looking to down road races as opposed to track cycling)

Also, if im a CCCC member, am i still able to race in the Northern Combine district. I've realised that CCCC is not one of the nine cycling clubs part of it. Do CCCC have their own Road Races during the Winter or are they part of another district (i.e. Eastern Combine/ Southern Combine)?
Rider123

Return to Road Biking