Bloody Rain.

For Roadies

Bloody Rain.

Postby 531db » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:19 pm

The late afternoon/early evening thunderstorms and rain have played havoc with midweek racing in the Sydney area recently. Last week saw cancellations of a couple of events, this week I had plans for racing on Monday night at the Regatta Centre (Penrith PCC) and Tuesday night at Eastern Creek (Marconi CC).

Only 35 riders turned up (as opposed to the usual 130-150) on Monday. It had been raining on and off over the afternoon and there was a lot of large puddles and some mud on the track, one of which covered the whole track widthwise and was about 3 metres long and 5 cm deep.

Due to the low numbers, the usual 5 grades was compressed into one handicap event. My grade 'D', became the second bunch off , a long time after 'E' grade whom disappeared out of sight. Quite a few of my bunch had no idea of how to ride a handicap and although we were averaging 37 kph, the bunch was not working smoothly and the by then combined A/B/C blew past us with over 2 laps (10 km) to go.

I got soaked through, mainly from water coming off the track, and the bike was filthy.

Got home, cleaned the bike and gear and awaited Tuesday's event.

Again it did not look good travelling out to ECR, poured with rain and I was expecting a cancellation as per the previous week. However Marconi CC decided to race on the 'short' 2.84 km circut rather than the normal 3.97 km circut so as to avoid the most dangerous of the corners (the hairpin) when wet.

Started in light rain, with a reduced race distance, but after 4 laps of the short circut, the 2 laps to go board was shown and that was just as well as at the bell the torrential rain started, we all stayed upright though to the finish and I grabbed 4th in the sprint after missing the jump. Total race distance was only 17.1 km, time 28.10, average speed 36.3 kph.

Bike and gear filthy again............

I'm looking forward to a dry race.
531db

by BNA » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:05 pm

BNA

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Ah, I was at the Regatta Centre on Monday, also racing in D grade. You guys took off like scalded cats in the first km and once I got dropped from a wheel, I couldn't get back on. :oops:

The track was a mess, what with the mud, water, and general grime. Did you see the guy who took a spill on the back half of the course, about 200 meters short of the bridge? Didn't look pretty, but he said he was ok, just lost some skin. :shock:

Next Time I'll try to hold onto the pack for longer than 1/4 of a lap. :lol:

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby 531db » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:22 pm

Saw the results of the spill yes.
First reaction as I looked up the road was: Whose the idiot changing their tube/tyre in the middle of the track? Then I saw the bloke lying on the ground.... :shock:
Did'nt realise you were racing, I would have said hello if I'd recognised you.....
Work commitments mean no racing next Monday, but I might be able to race on Tuesday at ECR.
531db

Postby KillerHeadWind » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:31 pm

I know what the track is like after a nice downpour, and for safety reasons I felt it better to stay home on Monday night. I had a feeling I was going to be involved in an accident. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Off the record I felt like crap and had an incredibly elevated resting heart rate (15 above normal), and maybe would have lasted about say 1 lap before it became a training ride :oops:
KillerHeadWind

Postby Bnej » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:27 pm

Tell me about it, we've been supposed to be doing Megalong Valley rides on Wednesday afternoons and for six consecutive weeks now they've been cancelled due to rain/fog/storms.

I'm down to about 30-50km / week from 120 or so, when I was hoping to push it up to 180 or more with the benefit of daylight saving.
Bnej

Postby timbo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:50 am

Its Thursday morning, and its coming down by the bucket load, and doesn't look like letting up. I was starting to wonder which tyre tread pattern has the best paddle effect for making our way along what was once a road, but is now a river.
Its a good time to give the bike a much needed service so that IF the sun does actually come out, I can go for an enjoyable ride.
timbo

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:52 am

timbo wrote:Its Thursday morning, and its coming down by the bucket load, and doesn't look like letting up. I was starting to wonder which tyre tread pattern has the best paddle effect for making our way along what was once a road, but is now a river.
Its a good time to give the bike a much needed service so that IF the sun does actually come out, I can go for an enjoyable ride.

Do they make an MTB/knobbly version of a 700x23C ????? :P :P :P
MichaelB

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:02 pm

This'd be the time to drag the KMarter out methinks :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:21 pm

Rain cleared up this afternoon but it was windy and the air remained humid. Went for a ride, joggers and fellow cyclists were out in force. Lovely!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Return to Road Biking