Rubbish in the high country

fitz

Rubbish in the high country

Postby fitz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:07 am

Just did the Bright - Omeo - High plains - Bright loop over 2 days. The amount of rubbish from the "3 Peaks " riders was very disapointing. This was all fresh rubbish too. Hundreds of discarded gels packets, bar wrappers, coke cans and the occasional inner tube litter what surely is one of the classic rides in Australia. Is this how we treat this beautiful part of the world?
Can I have some of these?

JV911

Re: Rubbish in the high country

Postby JV911 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 am

Say What is wrong with people??

:x
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Agreed. It is disgraceful, and happens on all organised rides. In part, rider information and briefings for all events should include BOLD NOTE 'take it with you!!'

r2160

Postby r2160 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:39 pm

While I agree that they should take it with them, I would have thought there should also be some responsibility born by the organisers to keep an eye on this and make sure it is cleaned up afterwards, shouldn't there?

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

toppity

Postby toppity » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 pm

you shouldn't have to clean up what should never be there in the first place.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:01 pm

There obviously were too many pseudo-Pro riders. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:20 pm

r2160 wrote:While I agree that they should take it with them, I would have thought there should also be some responsibility born by the organisers to keep an eye on this and make sure it is cleaned up afterwards, shouldn't there?

cheers
Glenn
And the national Parks/councils etc,.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:22 pm

That's disappointing in the extreme. I think I can put my hand on heart and say our group carried all their M/T wrappers out with them, it's not like they weigh much when they are empty!
FPR Jubilado Bludger

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:31 pm

i'm sure it was the minority, but it's disgusting the way people discard wrappers and stuff. carry in carry out.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:16 pm

I noticed the same thing at Alpe d Huez a couple of years ago when I went there The rest of France (well the parts I went to anyway...) was nice and clean but AdH was littered with gel wrappers and other bike related litter.

I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite though, I'll throw a banana peel or other food scrap away (into bushes, not onto the road) but always take gel wrappers, old tubes etc with me.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 pm

Ross wrote:I noticed the same thing at Alpe d Huez a couple of years ago when I went there The rest of France (well the parts I went to anyway...) was nice and clean but AdH was littered with gel wrappers and other bike related litter.

I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite though, I'll throw a banana peel or other food scrap away (into bushes, not onto the road) but always take gel wrappers, old tubes etc with me.

banana skins will break down, gel wrappers and tubes wont so there's a bit of a difference.
The only real problem with banana skins etc is they're not the normal food of the creatures that live in the area which might cause a problem for them.
Last edited by hannos on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2010 BMC SLC01

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 pm

hannos wrote:The only real problem with bana skins is they're not the normal food of teh creatures that live in the area which might cause a problem for them.
Do you mean the wombat won't like a bit of an energy burst? :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

fitz

Postby fitz » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:48 pm

Sent this email to BV

I rode around the course of this ride this week (21st &22nd) with some friends. The amount of litter (gel packets wrappers etc) along the way dropped by the participants in your event was disgraceful. This is beautiful countryside for all our use.
It is this simple. If you cannot control your riders behavior you should be resposible for cleaning the mess up what ever it costs. Period.

A bit terse but hey so what.

And recieved this reply

"Thanks for your message, we will continue to educate our riders on the importance of holding onto their rubbish until they find a bin. I understand the impact that this makes on the environment and will make additional measures in the future to ensure that litter is addressed."

Hmmmm
Can I have some of these?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:07 pm

indeed, hmm.

I should like to know if there was a ride briefing BEFORE the event and whether the issue of RUBBISH was specifically mentioned.

I don't think you can hold the organisers totally responsible, any more than you can hold responsible riders who do the right thing for the sins of some, but the obligation not to trash the place is there for all.

Ratts

Postby Ratts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:50 pm

rustychisel wrote:indeed, hmm.

I should like to know if there was a ride briefing BEFORE the event and whether the issue of RUBBISH was specifically mentioned.

I don't think you can hold the organisers totally responsible, any more than you can hold responsible riders who do the right thing for the sins of some, but the obligation not to trash the place is there for all.
Most rides that I have ridden in, not that ride, one can not hear the ride briefing as the PA is pathetic and every one around is talking and not listing. This is the same as aircraft safety brief’s.
2019 Canyon Ultimate CF slx
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL 1
2004 Giant TCR 1
1999 Trek

slowrotation

Postby slowrotation » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:07 pm

The pre ride briefing, the evening beforeand, was very clear on the need to bin rubbish. However there is no accounting for individual irresponsibility