Another Brisbane to Gold Coast ride

For Roadies

Another Brisbane to Gold Coast ride

Postby inaminit » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:36 am

Well you might remember a couple of months back I was taining up for the Wilson HTM Brisbane to Gold Coast cycle challenge, a mass participation social ride which ended up getting over 5,500 entrants.

Since then I've started racing with the Anatomic Masters Cycling Club (AMCC) here on the Gold Coast, and have been very slack in posting my progress, but I'm happy with how things are going.

Anyway, myself and a couple of the other AMCC riders have signed up for another Bris to GC ride being held tomorrow. The Portfolio Partners Southbank to Surfers ride ( http://www.usmevents.com.au/sb2surf/index.html ) is another mass participation event, which again is not actually a race, but is a far more serious ride than the other one and includes riding with the pros (or should I say riding a heck of a long way behind the pros) as they make their way to Surfers for their Crit races on Sunday.

The organisers for this ride have stated "Riders attempting this distance must be able to maintain at least a 25kph average speed for the whole distance." Now this will put me somewhere near the end of the field, but hopefully not too far back.

On the last ride I averaged a bit over 29kph, but that was with a very strong tailwind most of the way. I did it in 3:25:31 riding time (3:58 from start to finish after fixing 2 punctures and a drink stop).

This time around I'm aiming to complete the ride in under 3:10 actual riding time, which will be a pretty big effort for me as they are only predicting light tailwinds for tomorrow. The other thing I'm concerned about given its warmed up and has been damn humid of late, is my hydration.

The only official drink stop is at 40km, which is fine, but it leaves about 60 odd km to the finish with the temperature climbing. Now usually I will get about 45-50 km from my 2 x 700ml bottles, so a quick servo stop may also be needed.

Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes, if I'm not too knackered tomorrow afternoon :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

by BNA » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:48 pm

BNA

Postby inaminit » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:48 pm

Well the day started at 3:15am and a big bowl of porridge, honey, fruit and a nice strong coffee. 4:00am and my lovely wife assumed her chauffeur duties and we were on the road for the trip up to Brissy. As the sun rose, the clouds started gathering again after last nights storms. By the time we hit Brissy it started drizzling.

By the time I unpacked the bike and rode the 1.5km or so to the start line the rain had stopped. Arriving at the marshalling area, I would say there would have been between 750 and 1000 riders. I met up with the 2 other AMCC riders, a lady and a guy, his 16yo son and a friend of his, and we headed through the start gate just after the scheduled start time of 5:30am. The first km or so I could have walked faster as the field made its way over the slippery side roads and onto the busway, which was closed to traffic for us.

After another km or so we started sorting ourselves out and the speed had picked up to about 30kph. Then the rain came. It wasn't very heavy but enough to soak us and make things pretty tricky with so many riders so close to each other. Thankfully the speed dropped off to about 24kph as the road was pretty greasy. The light rain continued for about 10km then finally eased, but we didn't really get up to a decent speed until about the 25km mark as the roads were still pretty slippery and hazardous.

Finally the groups started sorting themselves out a bit as the conditions started to dry, and we were travelling nicely at about 33kph. The other riders that were with me arent used to riding in big groups on the road, and myself and one other rider were regularly slowing to let the others keep in touch.

We all regrouped at the drink stop at the 40 km mark, refuelled and were off again, but it wasn't long until we got stuck in traffic and seperated. The 16yo and the other guy got a good run through the traffic and took off down he road and the AMCC lady dropped back with a slightly slower group. Myself and the other AMCC guy managed to stay together for the rest of the ride.

After a pretty ordinary start due to the conditions, I realised after about 55km that I had a pretty good chance of doing my 3h 10m target if I could just get the speed up a bit more, so I started surging to catch the groups in front, have a rest for a minute or 2 in the bunch then get to the front and lift the pace to about 37 kph and hope that some of the bunch would come with me to share the load. This worked really well and kept doing it right up until about 10km or so to go.

At this point there was myself, the other AMCC guy just hanging on and 3 other riders who were riding pretty strongly. We were swapping turns pretty well and sitting on about 36kph until 5km to go. I was on the front and brought the pace up to about 39kph after about 500m I slowed to let the others take a turn but noone came past. I signalled, but still no one past. I signalled and said come through, but all I heard was my AMCC mate say "I cant my legs are gone". I waited a few seconds and no one else came through, so I dug deep, stayed on the front and brought it back up to 37kph. A couple more times I slowed, but no one came through and with about 750m to go I had a rush of blood and thought bugger it and surged up to about 45kph. I managed to hold this speed to about the 300m mark and had to slow. My AMCC mate had dropped right off, but the other 3 caught me and sat on my wheel, then with about 150 to go they jumped for a sprint, I went with them, but with 25m to the line my legs literally just gave up underneath me and I was totally smashed.

I coasted over the line in a heaving gasping heap. When I got off the bike my legs could hardly hold me and they were shaking like jelly, but after a minute or two I was feeling surprisingly good again.

AS I was waiting for the rest of the riders I started with to finish, I checked the ride data. I wanted to have a riding time of 3:10 and the computer said 2:56:45!!!! I couldnt believe it, I knew I went hard in the second half of the ride, but didnt realise how hard until I saw the time. 29 minutes faster than 2 months ago and almost 14 minutes faster than my target!

Then I looked at the average speed. 30.4kph, hang on that doesnt look right. Surely it must be more to get that time. I then checked the ride distance... 89.6km. Bugger, the ride was supposed to be 100km.

I knew the route was slightly different to the last ride, but I thought it was the same distance....obviously not. :cry:

We went and had a coffe and milled around for about an hour, then back on the bike for a 17.64km ride home.

All up 107.24km for the day...the most I've done in one day so far.

Even though the distance was 10km shorter than expected, I reckon I would have come around my target, so I'm absolutely wrapped with the ride.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

Return to Road Biking