First race

For Roadies

First race

Postby Deanj » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:31 pm

Well first time back on the mtb for some proper riding since my crash. Sensible way would of been taking it for a nice easy ride, but no I entered my first ever race in the mtb summer series :roll:

Having not ever done a race, and with the wrist still hurting I entered sub sports for a 2 lap race. Did the real stupid thing of not doing a test lap as didn't want to give the wrist to much stick. Got ready for the pre ride talk and they mentioned that we would be doing a bit of the downhill course with some of the jumps. Hmmm looking more of a daft idea not doing a test lap.

They sent 2 catogaries off at time with a minute gap till the next start. We were 3rd to head off. Quick look at the HRM and it was 110. I was shitting myself.

Well we lined up ten seconds called out and we were off. I'd been a bit worried all day about clipping in from the start as its not the best track to overtake so start was pretty important. Well it went like a dream I clipped in the second foot like a pro and hit the power, I got to the first corner in the lead! The whole shot!

Was amazed with my start so just peddled like hell. Round some jumps and a few corners then into a twisted accent. The first lap went really well and I caught some of the riders up that had set off before us. There weren't many places to get by but it was probably a good thing as my HR had been in the 180s every time I checked.

Over took a few more riders and I'd not been overtook so knew I was still going good. The wrist though was hurting like hell but there was no way I was easing up.

Second lap about 2kms to go though everything went squidgy at the back. I looked down and the tyre was losing pressure. Sod it I thought and I just kept going. It was hopeless though I lost to much so had to get off the bike. I had about 1.5kms to go of tight technical downhill (best part of the track) with about 400 m uphill to the finish. I grabbed the bike and ran. It was pretty hopeless going downhill but I was just to close to the finish to bother trying to fix it. Had some riderscatch me up and had to let them pass as they were flying downhill and I was doing the best I could on foot but not really getting anywhere fast. Got to the uphill section and thighs were killing but there was no way I was going to walk so went for it. A few more riders passed and I got to the line. The moment I stopped I collapsed with the worst thigh cramp I've ever felt.

I must of been lay down for about 10 mins as couldn't move my legs. A couple of people came over to help (a big thank you) but there wasn't much they could do. It took about 30 mins before I could walk properly!

I ended up finishing 2nd due to the flat which I'm a little peeved at but how much I enjoyed it fully makes up for it. Next race is mid Jan and I can't wait. Going to have ago at sports catagory though next time to see how I do in that.

HR for the race finished up at 177 average so you could say that got a good work out

:D
Deanj

by BNA » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:59 pm

BNA

Postby inaminit » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:59 pm

Mate I love it....another silly bugger who listens to reason then screams out "sod it" :lol: :lol:

Great ride, or should I say run, and well odne on the 2nd place.

So how'd the wrist hold up after all that???
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:46 am

Ha,running!!!...silly silly silly!!! :D .You got a wee bit competitive there...nice.Well done.
PS...I will only post this message once :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: toolongs post doesn't make sense cos the moderator was fixing something else which stuffed his post. Naughty moderator.
toolonglegs

Postby Deanj » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:23 am

Yep running down hill with a bike definatly not a god idea!Seemed perfect sense at the time though! :?
Deanj

Postby inaminit » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:44 am

ooops, sorry about the message being posted 3 times. Had a connection problem and had to keep refreshing the browser :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:54 pm

Second in yer first race! With a flat! 8)

Great effort needsa, hope the wrist comes up OK.

Have you told the black cat? :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:38 pm

inaminit wrote:ooops, sorry about the message being posted 3 times. Had a connection problem and had to keep refreshing the browser :lol:

Fixed
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:39 pm

Congratulations, well done.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:50 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
inaminit wrote:ooops, sorry about the message being posted 3 times. Had a connection problem and had to keep refreshing the browser :lol:

Fixed

now my message dosen't make sense :?
toolonglegs

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:56 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:

Fixed

now my message dosen't make sense :?

See above, I added a disclaimer for u.
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:03 pm

toolonglegs wrote:now my message dosen't make sense :?

Looked par for the course to me! :twisted:

Nice work Needsapush. Sounds like the bikes was a good investment.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Deanj » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:17 pm

Cheers all, had work all day today and was a struggle. Wrist has been hurting a bit unsurprisingly. There were plenty of photos took so once they stick them up on the website I'll see if I can find me!
Deanj

Postby europa » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Well done mate. Next time though, use tyres that hold the air inside :wink:

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it
europa

Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby sogood » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:54 pm

Nice one!

I always thought those MTB tracks are rigged as those single bush tracks really don't give people the chance to overtake. Talk about being stuck at the rear of the field on a single track. :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Return to Road Biking