I Think I got penalised for jumping too early...

For Roadies

I Think I got penalised for jumping too early...

Postby inaminit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:22 pm

I backed up yesterday from Saturdays Brisbane to Gold Coast ride for our AMCC handicap crit at Luke Harrop circuit yesterday. It's 12 laps of the 1.9km circuit for a total of 22.8km.

2 riders went off first, myself and 3 others went off 6 minutes which is the group I usually ride with. There were 4 other groups after us but I'm not sure of the times.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I was feeling unusually strong yesterday, and after about 6 laps one of the faster groups flew past us for the second time, myself and one of the others from my group dug deep and jumped on the back along with the 3 guys from the group that started after us and had passed us a few laps earlier.

We were only just hanging on the back of them at about the 9 lap mark, when the next faster group came up. A few of the guys from the group I was now with surged to catch them and I thought what the hell and managed to jump on too. I struggled like mad to stay with them, but hung in there until 1 1/4 laps to go when I dropped off.

Now the old guy who got a place, who was in the group before me, I remember passing 3 times which should have put me in front of him and I also lapped one of the guys from my group.

So in between my agonised gasps for breath I was thinking I was in with a shot, but not so. Yesterday I was just happy with how well I rode, but today thinking about it it just didnt add up. I looked at my race data and I'd done 24.94km which is 13 laps...I had done one extra lap!!!!!

Now I don't know if the officials didnt see me in the faster group, or they penalised me for jumping on too soon, but either way it doesnt really matter.

What is really bugging me is when are you allowed to jump on, and more importantly how do you know when you can???????

Are there any tips for keeping an eye on where everyone is and what lap they are on when you're absolutely smashed and cant concentrate on anything but the wheel infront of you?????
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

by BNA » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:37 pm

BNA

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:37 pm

That sounds a bit confusing!.They should tell you when you can jump on before the start.When racing Hefron which is 2km long.We only get passed once by A grade and the next time they come round we can jump on.
toolonglegs

Postby inaminit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:31 pm

It was even more confusing once we were racing!!

All we were told at the start was our group had to pass the first group twice, they didn't mention anything to us about how many times we had to be passed until we could jump on. Probably because no one from our group is usually bale to jump onto the faster groups.

During the first few laps I had one guy in my group telling me not to jump on as we had to be passed twice. a few laps later when I finally jumped onto the first of the faster groups one guy said no and the other who went with me said yes, so we did.

When I jumped onto the other faster group after a few more laps, I figured that if some of the group i was now with could go, then so could I.

A mate of mine who was in the last group to start said to me after the race that I must have done pretty well as he only passed me once.

I'm riding with one of the guys from my group in the morning so I'll ask him about it then as well.
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

Postby sogood » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:12 pm

Confusion plus!!! :shock:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby inaminit » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:37 pm

aaaarrrrgghhhh... I just re read my post and now I think I've confused myself even more :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

Postby inaminit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:30 am

Ok, I was riding with one of the guys from my group on Sunday, and his take on it is that The officials just missed me when I was in the faster group, hence the extra lap.

He's been racing with the club for a while longer than me, and said that If they thought I had jumped too early they wouldn't have penalised me with an extra lap, but would have been on the side of the track yelling at me to drop off and if I didn't they would have disqualified me.

He also said that is was the biggest field we'd had for a handicap crit, which caused not only us, but a lot of others to get confused about who was on what lap.

Apparantly, as the clubs numbers have now almost doubled over the last few months (they only started the club earlier this year) we probably won't be having too many handicap crits next year....thankfully!

So anyway, this Sunday is our last race for the year, and its just a normal crit within our grades and not a handicap event. With a bit of luck, not only did the race officials miss me in the faster bunch, but hopefully, my effort was missed by the clubs handicaper as well. :lol:
Anthony
08 Avanti Quantum Team
LeMond Tourmalet
Giant Kronos
Trek 4300 MTB
inaminit

Return to Road Biking