I'm sick of punctures!!

twizzle

Re: I'm sick of punctures!!

Postby twizzle » Sat May 21, 2011 11:21 am

twizzle wrote:
Nobody wrote:Good to see you got a good result then. What tyres are they?
As above, Michelin Krylion on the front and Continental 4Seasons on the rear.

But I'll have to dig out my digital pressure gauge and see if the pressure on the floor pump is accurate. Should be interesting...
Gauge was out by ~ 5psi, so I *think* I have both tyres on 90psi now. Much nicer ride, I must say... much easier on the hands.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat May 21, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks for the update. So was it about 95 before?
Are you running 23s front and back?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 am

Nobody wrote:Thanks for the update. So was it about 95 before?
Yep, and yep.

Seriously - it's much nice to ride like this. I also rode over a ~ 1cm branch at about 25kph, no pinch flats.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon May 23, 2011 9:51 am

twizzle wrote:
Yep, and yep.

Seriously - it's much nice to ride like this. I also rode over a ~ 1cm branch at about 25kph, no pinch flats.
Thanks. Good to see it is working for you. :)
I was out yesterday again on my 33/38psi bike. As usual, no punctures and no pinch flats. :D

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 am

Nobody wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Yep, and yep.

Thanks. Good to see it is working for you. :)
I was out yesterday again on my 33/38psi bike. As usual, no punctures and no pinch flats. :D
Ooooo - rub it in, why don't you. :P

I'm thinking about getting a MTB powertap hub... I'm so hooked on the analysis I don't ride my hybrid, even though it's the best wet-weather bike I have. :roll:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon May 23, 2011 1:10 pm

twizzle wrote:I'm thinking about getting a MTB powertap hub...
For road or MTB use? I'm thinking of rebuilding my MTB with flat-bar road gearing (compact double and 12-23 cassette) for the paths and later building/buying another bike as a dedicated MTB. Couldn't fit the 2.35" tyres on anything but a MTB frame. I'll keep the road bike for the road or when the paths are quiet.
twizzle wrote:I'm so hooked on the analysis I don't ride my hybrid, even though it's the best wet-weather bike I have. :roll:
Whatever gets you out there. :) At least Powertaps (and other power measuring devices) appear to be getting cheaper with time. Some bikes are starting to come out with them standard.
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-11-44812

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 26, 2011 7:35 pm

First thoughts on the Halo tire, 224k so far in 2 days, apart from the dust it looks exactly the same as when it arrived in the post (normal tires by this stage have a cut or two and often some very slight wear). At first i thought it felt quite harsh compared to the Refuse i had on before it but after 40k i was used to it and don't notice now.
In spite of the warning to use it as a rear tire only (due to the hard compound supposedly having a lot less grip than usual) i have pushed pretty hard through some corners and it grips at least as well as any other tire i've tried- that said i've only ridden in the dry so far and it has a very deep tread pattern which might make it sketchy in the wet.
An interesting point is that it looks SUPER narrow, maybe 20mm to look at even though it is marked as a 24 and measures 24.5 across the casing at 120psi.
I will keep commuting/training on it and see how it goes but it is VERY thick under the tread (exactly what i have been looking for) so i'm expecting it to last at least as well as my beloved 27' tires.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri May 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Nobody wrote:
twizzle wrote:I'm thinking about getting a MTB powertap hub...
For road or MTB use? I'm thinking of rebuilding my MTB with flat-bar road gearing (compact double and 12-23 cassette) for the paths and later building/buying another bike as a dedicated MTB. Couldn't fit the 2.35" tyres on anything but a MTB frame. I'll keep the road bike for the road or when the paths are quiet.
For the hybrid. I might even switch back to wider rims and tyres.... it's using Deep-v's with 23mm tyres, fast but fragile, and getting the VBrakes to stay centred is a real art with a narrow rim.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon May 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Did the first wet ride on the Halo tire today, no concerns other than being a little sketchy under hard braking. At 75kmh. On a damp road. Specifically a 12% downhill. LOL. Other than that (and i think it was only a little worse than any normal tire), it was fairly easy to break traction on the 13% climb that took me to that downhill. The ride also seems to be significantly smoother, despite the pressure being unchanged at 120psi.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon May 30, 2011 9:15 pm

I hate punctures as well, I had such a bad puncture weekend a few weeks ago that I have not been on the bike since.
2 punctures within 2km of each, had to call Mr Apple to pick me up when I ran out of tubes, I was 55km away from home.
Next day another puncture :shock: :roll: :evil:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Mon May 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Sorry about the off topic

But.......

Is Shoe Goo the same stuff as Selleys Shoe Glue?

Cheers

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon May 30, 2011 9:54 pm

bosvit wrote:Sorry about the off topic

But.......

Cheers
What LOL :?
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Mon May 30, 2011 10:39 pm

Apple wrote:

But.......

Cheers
What LOL :?
Sorry Apple, but as my wife would say "this conversation is strictly ball room....."

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue May 31, 2011 10:08 am

But.......

Cheers
No, it's not.

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue May 31, 2011 8:31 pm

twizzle wrote:

But.......

Cheers
No, it's not.
Darn it thought so :(

Okay back on topic......

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:25 pm

600k and first signs of wear, starting to wear on the 'twin rails' (the two ridges in the centre of the tread), absolutely no cuts yet in spite of riding through a heap of gravel and broken glass the last couple of days.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:41 am

ZepinAtor wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote: I haven't punctured on the road bike for over 3 years or more (can't even remember actually). I'm a compulsive tyre sweeper & will brush the tops of my tyres after every glass or fine gravel patch I pass over.
Well thanks vey much puncture heads. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

No flats for years then on Sunday morning I felt a hard thump while descending Mt Glorious which is currently a total mess due to rock falls & road repairs. Soon after the thump sure enough I had a squishy tyre & what I would have thought to be a pinch flat actually looked like a fault on a seam in the magic foss tube. I'll try the "hot" pliers on this tiny little pin prick of a hole & see how it goes.
Just an update on the Foss tubes. I tried the hot plier repair method & it held air after several attempts. I then thought I might as well give it a good test & pump it up nice & big.

Well after a major explosion & ringing ears I decided to take the front tube out & fit normal tubes.

Another point is that these tubes deflate at twice the rate of normal tubes so if you ride daily, re-inflation is almost always necessary before every ride. Painful !!

FOSS FAIL :roll: :!:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Another 100k and the wear has dramatically increased, the tops of the two ridges are almost worn down to the rest of the tread now, strange how it looked as new for a while and now it's disappearing. The majority of my commute is on extremely abrasive near unsealed coarse chip so i can't expect too much. I had hoped the 'hard compound' would fare better, although there are still no cuts at all.

Fe

Postby Fe » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm sick of punctures as well. I get a couple a month and usually at the worst time; rarely close to home/work or when its raining.....

So I've gone tubeless. A couple Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tubeless tyres on my beast now. It's been a 100km so far and so good.

I'll update you in a few weeks.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:01 pm

Vipul wrote:I'm running Vittoria Zaffiro's on my road bike and haven't had a single puncture for the 6500kms I've done on them so far. I've put it through all kinds of hell, but yet none. I'm just waiting for them to get worn out so I can try out the GP4000s :P
Zaffiro's are ultra reliable - wet weather grip on them is poor though but super durable tyre and cheap as chips. I use them in the dry season and usually run something with better wet weather grip in the wet season.

Run a tyre liner with them and they are even tougher, like 10x more reliable than running road tubeless in my experience.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

BoardRider

Postby BoardRider » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:27 pm

I have been using Maxxis Refuse 23x700 in Adelaide for the last two years ,my tyres have multiple cuts all over them.No punctures yet . I rode the last set down to the Kevlar before deciding to change. Ive ridden 4,700km this year no problems yet.
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:57 am

Another 200k on the Halo and no noticeable increase in wear, definitely looks like it will pay for itself compared to the other tires i've tried. @boardrider, i've got a Refuse that i'm going to keep for racing, given it's a lot lighter than the Halo.

notwal

Postby notwal » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:21 pm

Hutchinson Intensives. 3500 km and no punctures so far. Had a couple of hard pot hole bashes too that I would have expected to give pinch flats.
I think next time I will put an Intensive on the back and an Atom or a Fusion 3 on the front.
judged, insulted, gone

grnis200

Postby grnis200 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:10 am

I started getting more punctures than I should've a couple of years ago. I ran 700cx23mm at 120 psi like I should have. I am 6"1' and 80kg. I think I ride pretty hard-1200kms a month usually at av. 32km/h.

Now I run 25mm 4 Seasons at 90-100psi for commutting (28-35kms on bushy to city roads in Melbourne).

On my race bike I have 2 wheelsets; one with the Force/Attack combo 22/24mm at 120psi and my wet 'race' setup with a 23/25mm GP4000S setup at 100-110 psi.

I haven't had a flat in over 2 years/20000kms but always replace my tyres when they look worn out. GP4000S at 4500kms on the rear I think)

I swear by more air (25mm) at less pressure (90-100psi) on the rear.
Weekends: Giant TCR Advanced SL1 - Full carbon, Dura-ace, Custom 50mm tubulars
Commute: Giant TCR Alliance 1 - Carbon / Alloy Frame, full Ultegra G/set, Dura-ace 24mm CL rims, AYUP lights

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Well I've been running continental force/attack. They seem pretty good. They roll super well and I haven't had much in the way of punctures with them. They grip really well and are confidence inspiring in the handling department.

However, they are very prone on the back to cuts and tears. So much so that I lost the first one after 600k with a hole that had the tube popping out. The second one lasted about 2.5k but was pensioned due to a flat spot. The third one has less than 1000k on it and a few tears that have me a bit worried. Hmmmm.... I'm considering trying Schwalbe Ultremo DD's. Thoughts?